Steeda Sport Spring or Ultralite Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Steeda Sport Spring or Ultralite Springs

I am about to pull the trigger on my suspension but was wondering is there going to be a big difference between Steeda Sport Springs and the steeda Ultralite springs I M leaning towards the Ultralite cause it lower the car just a bit more. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Randeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Other than drop, the spring rate may be different. A stiffer spring will cause less body roll, but will also be a rougher ride.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have the ultralites and love them. Ride is as good as stock

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How is the appearance

Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's perfect personally
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404350277305.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	160641  
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'll warn you though, it's tough to get a Jack under unless you have a super low profile jack. May need to ride up onto some 2x6's to get under it

Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

How is the appearance

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #8

Region: Florida
Thinking between Eibach and the ultralites myself. I keep hearing that the ride is good with the steedas. Kind of steering that way even though the drop is less than with the Eibach Sportlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
I have the ultralites and love them. Ride is as good as stock

OneBadGtCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't recommend going much lower than 1.5". I had to lift the front wheel wells to get the lift arms out from under the car. I never looked much into it but there are a lot of things to take into consideration when lowering more than 1.5" due to the suspension geometry changes

Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you're going for purely stance and a barely drivable car on most roads, I would recommend the ultralites. Not to mention steeda is great to work with.. I use their tunes as well

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like I will bd ordering the Ultralites also adding an bmr adjustable panhard bar,LCA, adjustable UCA, and LCA relocator brackets. I hope it makes a big difference

Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeezy23 View Post
Looks like I will bd ordering the Ultralites also adding an bmr adjustable panhard bar,LCA, adjustable UCA, and LCA relocator brackets. I hope it makes a big difference

Just a heads up Steeda has the ultralites on sale for 199 for the 4th of July. That's kind of what helped lean their way I was going to get bmr at first but this is a pretty good deal

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't specifically notice improvement from the lca's alone, but in combination with the uca and brackets, I am wheel hop free. I also upgraded to koni str.t shocks/struts with gt500 strut mounts. Not required to upgrade shocks and struts but always recommended when lowering for best results

Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #14

Region: Georgia
I've got the ultralites and contrary to some of the statements the ride is not the same as stock. Driving in Atlanta on the crappy roads and I feel those bumps. However it's worth the trade off.

smittybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Ultra-Lites. You're not going to be happy with the small drop of the Sport springs.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Ultra-Lites. You're not going to be happy with the small drop of the Sport springs.
Difference between the sport and ultra lites is only 1/4". Not really noticeable in my opinion.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have the Ultra-Lites and the drop isn't anything aggressive (still looks way better and gets rid of the 4x4 look), so I can imagine anything less of the Ultra-Lites will have the OP with buyer's remorse (since he's looking for a noticeable drop).
Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittybat View Post
I've got the ultralites and contrary to some of the statements the ride is not the same as stock. Driving in Atlanta on the crappy roads and I feel those bumps. However it's worth the trade off.

^this. The ultralites have high spring rates and the ride is incredibly bumpy. I actually removed mine and I'm putting them up for sale. They're excellent handling springs but too much bouncing and jolting for me in a DD

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Not sure if some complaining of a harsh ride are trying to use the stock dampers, or other lesser dampers, with aftermarket springs that are beyond the ability of the dampers to control. Beware running stiffer springs with the poor stock dampers. A harsh ride is likely. The stock dampers don't even work well with the stock springs.
Upgrade to Koni SR.T or you may even need Koni Yellow if springs are very stiff. I run Steeda Boss Springs that have a higher rate then Sports or Ultralites and the ride is firm but not harsh. The Steeda Boss spring rates need Yellow adjustables.
todcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I personally have ultralites with the Koni str.t's and love them together. Zero complaints here

Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I had the same dilemma a few months back trying to decide whether to get the Steeda ultra lights or the sports but my decision was made simple after a coworker one showed up in his 14 GT and had this totally awesome stance. Parked next to my car with the stock suspension it was a crazy how much of a difference the Steeda Sports made not just to the stance and wheel gap, but to the entire look of the car. It looked smaller, more aggressive, more...well sporty.
Needless to say I was completely envious. I asked him about them and he said he got the Steeda sports and a panhard bar for the alignment. I said well in other peoples cars I've ridden in I feel like whenever they put lowering springs on it they always make the ride really uncomfortable and rough. He assured me that this was not the case with the Steeda Sports and so we took a ride and I agreed. So I chose to go with the Sport spring setup.
Since I'm a daily driver I didn't want to break the bank on suspension and handling but I wanted the springs to improve the stance and to make the handling sharper. I decided new shocks and struts would be a good compliment to the new springs so I was directed to the Konis selection. The Str.t oranges were very intriguing buy because I've heard good things and the price is favorable. I ended up going with the Koni Yellows because everyone told me the adjustable feature wasn't essential but it was a really great option so I went with those. I got them from TMmotorsports online because that was the best price I found online (like $10 cheaper on each item, so $40 total. Not huge but money saved is money saved, plus they had some promo code for 6% off at the time so it was another $70 or so.)

I had them all installed at once and man was I impressed whenever I picked my car up. The ride quality was amazing, the look was killer, the stance was perfect and they felt MORE comfortable than stock. The only thing is I don't know how they set the adjustments on the shocks/struts so I don't really know what adjusting them would change but I'm very happy with both the Steeda Sport Springs and the Koni Yellows.

Here is how it looks now:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-9.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	167614
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you need help with your decision ... feel free to send me a message at tim@steeda.com & I can help supply a forum discount code too.

You won't be disappointed in Steeda!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
I had the same dilemma a few months back trying to decide whether to get the Steeda ultra lights or the sports but my decision was made simple after a coworker one showed up in his 14 GT and had this totally awesome stance. Parked next to my car with the stock suspension it was a crazy how much of a difference the Steeda Sports made not just to the stance and wheel gap, but to the entire look of the car. It looked smaller, more aggressive, more...well sporty.
Needless to say I was completely envious. I asked him about them and he said he got the Steeda sports and a panhard bar for the alignment. I said well in other peoples cars I've ridden in I feel like whenever they put lowering springs on it they always make the ride really uncomfortable and rough. He assured me that this was not the case with the Steeda Sports and so we took a ride and I agreed. So I chose to go with the Sport spring setup.
Since I'm a daily driver I didn't want to break the bank on suspension and handling but I wanted the springs to improve the stance and to make the handling sharper. I decided new shocks and struts would be a good compliment to the new springs so I was directed to the Konis selection. The Str.t oranges were very intriguing buy because I've heard good things and the price is favorable. I ended up going with the Koni Yellows because everyone told me the adjustable feature wasn't essential but it was a really great option so I went with those. I got them from TMmotorsports online because that was the best price I found online (like $10 cheaper on each item, so $40 total. Not huge but money saved is money saved, plus they had some promo code for 6% off at the time so it was another $70 or so.)

I had them all installed at once and man was I impressed whenever I picked my car up. The ride quality was amazing, the look was killer, the stance was perfect and they felt MORE comfortable than stock. The only thing is I don't know how they set the adjustments on the shocks/struts so I don't really know what adjusting them would change but I'm very happy with both the Steeda Sport Springs and the Koni Yellows.

Here is how it looks now:
Attachment 167614
Coyote2820, did you get any LCA, UCA, or CC's? Thinking of getting the same set-up, since mine is a DD as well.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrider View Post
Coyote2820, did you get any LCA, UCA, or CC's? Thinking of getting the same set-up, since mine is a DD as well.

No I didn't end up getting any of the control upgrades because from everything I read they didn't seem 'essential' to the conversion and I am still very pleased with the comfort and ride quality. There is a very significant improvement in handling with only the upgrades I made. I read a few different entires online and spoke with a couple of professionals about how the lowered suspension would effect the ride and there was general consensus that with a drop as mild as the Steeda Sports that these additional upgrades weren't necessary. One thing I would like to mention though is that whenever I had the shocks, struts and springs installed together they did end up utilizing some adjustable camber bolts because it was necessary to properly secure the alignment. I wasn't aware that I would need them (still not positive I do, but sometimes that the price you pay for not being mechanically savvy enough to install your upgrades personally; ugh, whatever!) but the alignment is perfect and I haven't had any issues as of yet (knock on wood). I'll let you know though, they charged me around $55 for a pair of the ACB's but you can get them on AmericanMuscle for around $35.

Although the CC's, LCA's, UCA's, panhard bar and sway bar upgrades are probably favorable and improve handling that much more; I stuck with leaving what I could stock for now since I'm not made of money and the closest thing to track time mine will see is the 45 minute commute to work on days I hit the snooze too many times. I will probably upgrade those parts eventually but for what I need what I have gets the job done.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
No I didn't end up getting any of the control upgrades because from everything I read they didn't seem 'essential' to the conversion and I am still very pleased with the comfort and ride quality. There is a very significant improvement in handling with only the upgrades I made. I read a few different entires online and spoke with a couple of professionals about how the lowered suspension would effect the ride and there was general consensus that with a drop as mild as the Steeda Sports that these additional upgrades weren't necessary. One thing I would like to mention though is that whenever I had the shocks, struts and springs installed together they did end up utilizing some adjustable camber bolts because it was necessary to properly secure the alignment. I wasn't aware that I would need them (still not positive I do, but sometimes that the price you pay for not being mechanically savvy enough to install your upgrades personally; ugh, whatever!) but the alignment is perfect and I haven't had any issues as of yet (knock on wood). I'll let you know though, they charged me around $55 for a pair of the ACB's but you can get them on AmericanMuscle for around $35.

Although the CC's, LCA's, UCA's, panhard bar and sway bar upgrades are probably favorable and improve handling that much more; I stuck with leaving what I could stock for now since I'm not made of money and the closest thing to track time mine will see is the 45 minute commute to work on days I hit the snooze too many times. I will probably upgrade those parts eventually but for what I need what I have gets the job done.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for the info/heads up on the ACB...going to go ahead and order the stuff. Cant wait!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Just curious, do you guys have trouble getting your car on a lift in a shop with a 1.5" drop?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't had any issues with the shop raising it whatsoever. Now, using home jacks in my driveway is a different story...
Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My shop has no issues getting my car up

Old 10-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #29
Road Trip!

When I had k springs, I could not get my car on a lift. When the front is lowered 1.5 us when you'll have issues

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The front is lower than the rear stock. I got a low profile jack, just worry about times I have to bring the car to a shop or dealer.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #31
Road Trip!

With k springs my low profile jack was useless.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Really? I didn't think K springs were that aggressive of a drop. This is the problem I want to avoid. I haven't got springs yet, but I'm deciding between Eibach Pro, Steeda Ultralites, or BMR, something with a mild drop. Looks like Eibach Pro is the way to go for me.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #33
Road Trip!

K springs are a true 1.5 drop all around. And are the only spring besides sportlines and SR springs that drop that much in the front. When my car was finished they had to jack it up just to get it off the lift.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What's funny is all the differing opinions on springs. I had a ton of people recommend the FRPP P springs for my daily driven 14 GT. Then others say they ride rough. A well known and respected retailer/racer suggested the Steeda sports. I always thought the progressive wound spring was better for the street and then he educated me on how the first part of the progressive wind is already compressed and useless, so some of the pro springs are actually operating in stiffer operating range (If I understood him correctly- it makes sense). Then there's also a whole slew of guys who swear by BMR's. The only real consensus I've seen is the Koni yellows. I plan to save up and buy those instead of going the normal cheap route wishing I had then buying them in the end. Kelly at BMR actually recommended the P springs to someone who had the same plan for their car as me.
It really sounds like you can't go too wrong with any of them if you spend the money and get good shocks to properly dampen them.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Good point, I did also upgrade the Ford Racing jounced bumpers and as small of a thing as that may be they did make a noticeable difference when bottoming out over speed bumps, etc.,. Sorry, forgot about that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT