Lowering GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lowering GT?

So since the SR performance springs are only $150 today on AM since the 4th of July I might just buy those and lower my 2013 GT. Will it cause problems if I only use the springs no other parts like Panhard par,
Ect? And how badly will steep driveways and hills and speed bumps be a problem for 1.5'?
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Pay an extra 50 bucks and get the steeda's 4th of July sale through steeda

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Randeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
With 1.5 ur going to be fine with speed bumps and driveways I've had mine lowered for quite some time now and I have a front lower valence I don't scrape on driveways or speed bumps
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is lowered on SR springs. I've scraped 2 speed bumps in 4 months. Not too bad. I did do the panhard bar though. Rear axle shifted about 3/4 inch.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
Mine is lowered on SR springs. I've scraped 2 speed bumps in 4 months. Not too bad. I did do the panhard bar though. Rear axle shifted about 3/4 inch.

Lol did the scrapes affect anything? U were going to fast or what
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Just big bumps. I was going pretty slow and it was a "barely" scrape. Big bumps I now do the slammed car at an angle approach. Or just go around them. No driveway scrapes though.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
So since the SR performance springs are only $150 today on AM since the 4th of July I might just buy those and lower my 2013 GT. Will it cause problems if I only use the springs no other parts like Panhard par,
Ect? And how badly will steep driveways and hills and speed bumps be a problem for 1.5'?
Why don't you buy the springs now and put them in the garage. Then when you get the money, buy the shocks, struts, front and rear sway bars?

You should really install them at the same time.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You should be fine with the Sr springs I had them on my 2012 and I only rubbed the front over very tall speed bumps. I have the SVE springs on my 14 right now and they lowered my car 1.5 also. And I have no problems rubbing either on it. But do get your self a adjustable Panhard bar. You will need it.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I got the SR's on Black Friday last year. $100 shipped from AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeezy23 View Post
Pay an extra 50 bucks and get the steeda's 4th of July sale through steeda

Even if the sale is over, spend the extra money and get the Steeda springs - well worth it!
Lous2006LLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have the SR's with koni str.t's and the Roush splitter. Haven't scraped yet. You'll need the panhard when the rear end shifts.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm considering lowering mine. Aside from being a reputable brand, what advantages are there with the Steeda springs for the extra money?
jaymz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
None

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I had SR's on my 2012, rear only. No problems, still careful.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly didn't "spring" for a name brand spring because I honestly didn't think it was worth it. Any spring paired with koni's in my opinion will be fine.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Even if the sale is over, spend the extra money and get the Steeda springs - well worth it!
Thank you for the support!

I'm considering lowering mine. Aside from being a reputable brand, what advantages are there with the Steeda springs for the extra money?

Plenty ...

Steeda Springs are manufactured under these rigorous manufacturing certifications: QS-9000 & ISO 9001 ...

We are the ONLY aftermarket company to have partnered with one of the largest OEM spring manufacturers in the world to deliver to the discerning performance enthusiast the best performance product available

This Tier 1 Supplier manufacturers their springs in the USA, has been in business 4 times longer than Brand “E” or Brand “H” — and — they supply more Formula 1, Indianapolis, and NASCAR Teams than all other spring manufacturers combined!

All Steeda suspension springs are designed to properly fit the original configuration and location of the OEM suspension coil and we pay particular attention to how the spring fits into the O.E. spring seat. In addition we look to precisely reproduce the loading characteristics of the O.E. spring both laterally and longitudinal with the use of a Wolpert 7 axis / load coil scale testing equipment. This type of testing is usually only performed by O.E. Manufacturers.

Both hot and cold forming CNC controlled equipment is utilized. This gives the flexibility necessary to produce nearly any suspension coil configuration. On the late model Mustangs for example, our design incorporates a pigtail configuration that matches the O. E. spring whereas many other aftermarket manufacturers use a cold-formed part that does not match the rear trailering arm properly. This is caused by the cut-off process on a cold coiler and causes the spring to bow when installed in the vehicle.

Due to our HOT forming process our materials are “centerless ground” so the optimum material size is within .001 of an inch. Currently our competitors have material increments of .010 of an inch. This tighter tolerance allows us to produce the lightest part for a given spring package.

In the design/engineering process we pay particular attention to the proper amount of loads at rebound, static height, and jounce (bump). This is why we favor producing a progressive spring to achieve the appropriate load characteristics. The initial rate is designed to provide the O. E. pre-load, while the final rate provides the necessary bump load characteristics.
We use proprietary spring materials that have higher silicon content than our competitors. While others use a lesser grade of spring wire to reduce their costs and improve their profit – we insist on only the best spring wire available. Better spring wire makes for a better coil spring!

All of our springs are employ MICS (Mass Inertia Control System) technology to provide non-compromising ride characteristics. By using this technology the un-sprung mass of the vehicle is controlled and the inertia of the suspension component does not exceed the springs capacity to control the jounce loads, hence eliminating the requirement for excessive spring rates. The progressive spring characteristics permit the ride frequencies to stay within acceptable limits, but provide the added spring rate to achieve bump load capacities equivalent to the O. E. springs.

The optimized spring calibration of our springs reduces the pitch of the vehicle under heavy acceleration or braking. The reduced longitudinal pitch of the vehicle during heavy braking improves the overall braking efficiency because the higher rate of the front springs reduces the amount of load transfer to the front tires. This causes the load on all four tires to be more evenly distributed providing additional traction to the rear tires. The additional gain in rear traction usually results in reduced braking distances.

The proportionate increase in spring rate also reduces body roll, which limits adverse suspension movement. This confines the suspension geometry to stay within parameters that enhance the tires contact patch with the road. The result is improved vehicle cornering and handling, because front and rear tire loading is more evenly distributed. Therefore, higher cornering limits can be achieved because the built-in understeer characteristics are reduced and provide for a more neutral yet safe handling vehicle.

Hope that helps ... just because a Rolex & Timex both tell time ... does not mean they are created equal.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
And those certifications are not easy to get. Thanks for the information.

I'm still hesitant to lower more than an inch up front due to roads and my driveway. Does Steeda have anything in that range?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have a very steep driveway and I have no issues as long as I'm going slow. And I'm lowered 1.5"

Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We have exactly an inch with our Sport springs. In some cases ... they settle a little less:

Lowers the vehicle approx 1 inch front, 1 1/4 inch rear. The S197 Mustang sits high in the rear, these springs will give it a more aggressive look - See more at: Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Coupe Sport Springs - Made in USA 555-8215 - Free Shipping!

Let me know your thoughts? The steep driveways are tricky ... but one of our Steeda enthusiasts has a Ford GT & a steep driveway, I have seen it & as long as he backs out & cuts the wheel as he exits the driveway ... he has 0 issues.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT