Transmission noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Transmission noise

Hello gents, probably another retarted question but I'm not real knowledgeable with manual transmissions. I just bought a 2014 track pack a week a ago yesterday has like 280 miles on it. I've noticed a few times when stopped after I engage my clutch going into first (after reversing, from neutral, or from second) I hear a slight thud coming from my transmission. It's not a grind goes into first hear fine, it seems pretty subtle but I can feel the thud a little bit in the seat as well. I haven't drove it hard or smashed gears or anything. It shifts fine from first to second and so on. I just traded in a 2013 GT for this car and am not sure but I think I remember hearing this sound on the other car as well but I'm not sure. So wondering if anyone has any info if that is normal for these tranny's or if I could have a more serious problem that needs to be looked at by the dealership. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I now have 9K on my 2013 MT82, and the thuds, clunks, and drive shaft play dont go away. in other threads its been explained that the driveline is tuned for performance and simply letting up on the gas and putting the gas back down produces thuds and clunks. I also hear my throw-out bearing work, and the plate hit the flywheel I think, and the two-piece drive shaft and rear-end all clunk when shifting 1-2, 2-3.

Everyone keeps saying this is normal, or is normal for cheap parts ford used , or other items. This truly is better than an exhaust thread however so thanks for posting it!

I don plan to ask my dealer yet another time in the next month on my next visit for oil/wheels/safety check.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My best guess for my particular problem being that it doesn't do it every time I shift into first gear is that I'm not giving the clutch enough time to disengage before I try to go into the gear. I just went and messed with it and when I delay just slightly to let the clutch disengage it doesn't do it. So I'm pretty sure it's operator error and not anything wrong with the transmission.

Also your are right about the clutch noise that is totally normal with these things I'm pretty sure as my brand new car with 280 miles and my 2013 GT which I also bought brand new made the same clunks and thuds as far as the clutch noise was concerned. Thanks for the input ART.

Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My 2014 track pack car does the same. Installing a Whiteline transmission mount thing shortly. I also plan to replace the two piece driveshaft soon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Replace your drive shaft with a 1 piece,to much play with the 2piece

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I recently put the whiteline mount in and it does firm it up, but the transmission noises don't go away. By far the clunkiest and noisiest transmission I've ever had. I've just learned to forget about it and drive it hard. This transmission likes being driven a little harder as opposed to being babied

Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Actually it prefers smoothness and precision, rather than toploader-style brute force. It will make you look a fool if you don't drive it all the time. A shifter bracket, whiteline mount, better shifter, knob, all can help but, it requires technique. Most 6 speed manual cars I've tried require some adaptation.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It is normal. The drive line has a hill lock on it. When you stop on an incline, push in the clutch the car will hold till you try and move, that could be it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Same problem, 2014 GT with 3k miles. Brought it to the dealership for first oil change and asked them to check the shifting for the "noise" and the clunking. They said that everything was fine and that the car shifted perfectly. I still hear the noise when I engage the clutch at low speeds. Even though everyone is saying it's normal, it's pretty annoying. Makes your car feel cheap. We just have to deal with it.

ILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT