Ford Racing Track-Cal!! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
This tune sounds cool
But ONLY if you install it when you buy a NEW car.

Reason being, you loose your Ford warranty INSTANTLY
and hope Ford Racing will CYA if the engine goes cookies

But if your like me and have almost 30,000 miles soon to be 36000
Ford Racing will NOT cover any engine damage after 36000

And You loose your 5 year 60,000 mile factory Drive train warranty.

Just to sound cool and loose 5mpg

No Thanks
That is not totally correct. I have a 100,000 bumper to bumper, with 10K on it right now. IF my shifter breaks its obvious the Track Cal did not cause that. If my axle bearing in the rear end goes out , my Track Cal did not cause that. If I burn a hole in the piston, Ford will determine if the Track cal caused that including a test to make sure I put in 91or better gas. If Track cal was found to burn the piston I buy new ones from my emergency fund. If my emergency fund is empty because I lost income, looks like the 'Stang will sit till I save it up again. No matter what age, everyone should have an emergency fund in savings before buying toys.

Now if I get dreaded "Ticks" in my valve, fingers, cam, or cam chain train; well plenty of evidence can be brought to bear (pun intended) that such "Ticks" are happening in Non-Track Cal Coyotes and I have a firm ground.

Clutch go out? Well thats a wear item no matter what, should last 70K but who knows. MT82 lose 2 or 3rd gear? Well That's well known, should have some backup on that one that a Ford Racing tune didn't do it. And its not avalible on Auto trans, as the Ford factory tune puts lots of TQ management into it to keep it safe that isn't in the manual. {Mopar does a lot more of this on their autos then Ford}

If I toss a rod, guess what? Likely I might not get that covered by Ford with Track Cal or no Track Cal; could be abuse? WHo knows yet.... Pay to play; save an emergency fund before play.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Since you brought it up, does Track Cal eliminate occasional use of lower octane gas? Right now the computer is smart enough to adapt - at the cost of power obviously ....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
That is not totally correct. I have a 100,000 bumper to bumper, with 10K on it right now. IF my shifter breaks its obvious the Track Cal did not cause that. If my axle bearing in the rear end goes out , my Track Cal did not cause that. If I burn a hole in the piston, Ford will determine if the Track cal caused that including a test to make sure I put in 91or better gas. If Track cal was found to burn the piston I buy new ones from my emergency fund. If my emergency fund is empty because I lost income, looks like the 'Stang will sit till I save it up again. No matter what age, everyone should have an emergency fund in savings before buying toys.

Now if I get dreaded "Ticks" in my valve, fingers, cam, or cam chain train; well plenty of evidence can be brought to bear (pun intended) that such "Ticks" are happening in Non-Track Cal Coyotes and I have a firm ground.

Clutch go out? Well thats a wear item no matter what, should last 70K but who knows. MT82 lose 2 or 3rd gear? Well That's well known, should have some backup on that one that a Ford Racing tune didn't do it. And its not avalible on Auto trans, as the Ford factory tune puts lots of TQ management into it to keep it safe that isn't in the manual. {Mopar does a lot more of this on their autos then Ford}

If I toss a rod, guess what? Likely I might not get that covered by Ford with Track Cal or no Track Cal; could be abuse? WHo knows yet.... Pay to play; save an emergency fund before play.
Quote Ford Racing/Quote Magic City Ford - If the car throws a code that proves the Track Key Tune caused the failure then after 3/36 it would not be covered. Currently there is no way for Ford to be able to PROVE it was the tune because there are no codes that exist that show that and therefore it cannot be proven. You drop a piston there is nothing that can directly point to the Track Key Tune. It would all be speculation and not hard evidence. If people will call Ford Racing and the dealership they will find out there is really no more reason to worry than if nothing was done to the car.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I plan to order the track cal. Can I install it myself?
Thunder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder69 View Post
I plan to order the track cal. Can I install it myself?
To get the Ford Racing 3/36 Warranty a dealer needs to install it, otherwise you can do it yourself. I have a great dealer, I am having the folks that keep my car working right install it for me, worth the extra money in the long run of the car ownership.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To get the Ford Racing 3/36 Warranty a dealer needs to install it, otherwise you can do it yourself. I have a great dealer, I am having the folks that keep my car working right install it for me, worth the extra money in the long run of the car ownership.
+1
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I appreciate the advice. I can't imagine the install is very difficult or expensive. What exactly is involved beyond plugging it in and reflashing the computer?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Turn off all accessories, hold the enter button on the ProCal while you plug it in and follow the instructions. Very simple.
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
This tune sounds cool
But ONLY if you install it when you buy a NEW car.

Reason being, you loose your Ford warranty INSTANTLY
and hope Ford Racing will CYA if the engine goes cookies

But if your like me and have almost 30,000 miles soon to be 36000
Ford Racing will NOT cover any engine damage after 36000

And You loose your 5 year 60,000 mile factory Drive train warranty.

Just to sound cool and loose 5mpg

No Thanks
Man you got it wrong ..you do keep your full warranty if a ford dealership installs.. Its been confirmed a few times.Even with the dealer who installed my tune, it effects nothing. However if a customer does it them selfs then yeah you are limited to the 3yr plan... Also if ford did in anyways deny you then ford racing would cover . I was told by ford racing and the dealership that installed this badass tune! correct me if we are wrong.
insidious_ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
im glad people are trying it!! I bet you all are happy!.. don't get me wrong im getting a LUND tune when my warranty is up but I gotta play by the rules for now...
insidious_ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
Turn off all accessories, hold the enter button on the ProCal while you plug it in and follow the instructions. Very simple.
Yes, thats all you need to do in your driveway. The dealer does it a little different.
Actually I know the guy doing it from my Mustang Club, and has done plenty of ProCal on GT and TrackKeys on Boss. Its a little more then that. They have paper work to fix up for warranty registration, download the newest version of the Tune form FR, put it in the EMC (the fastest part of the work) and then verify all the features and options are setup and work correctly, take it around the track a few times Then sign off on the install done correctly.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Since you brought it up, does Track Cal eliminate occasional use of lower octane gas? Right now the computer is smart enough to adapt - at the cost of power obviously ....
Yes you MUST use 91 or better. 93 preferred but some areas in the country close to gas refineries don't have it. Heck I saw some stations in Nevada that 85 is regular, 87 plus and 91 premium.

One of the items in the FR warranty coverage is mention of tests to prove 91 or better was always used in the car if stuff happens. The FR tune cranks Timing, gaining low end torque. That means detonation to pistons if you cheapen the fuel, even with the Spark Knoc detectors, it might not react fast enough with all the extra Timing put in Advance (Pun intended)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Unless you load up on race gas, 91 is as high as we get in LA.
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. Unless you load up on race gas, 91 is as high as we get in LA.
Around here at least Race gas (104) has lead and other things in it and will ruin the Cats and O2 sensors. Whats the Octane on Kali Race gas Tezz?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

100 unleaded very scarce at pumps , 110 for leaded is out there but I think you have to get it by the can.
If you are looking for it in LA, here's a website locater:

http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal

Current prices close to $10 a gallon
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Dealer put in TrackCal on Friday. I drove it to the Friday Car meet and it rained on us

Tested more on Saturday. The Lope idle is very garly similar to a MPT ghost cam tune. I found if it gets too much for you at a light you can turn the Air on and it doesn't shake as bad. I have Borla ATAKs and it sounds old school. The tune says 60trq at 1500s added. I can really feel the Engine come on step at around 2400-2500 now instead of 3400-3500; Its "woke up.". However for slow driving, their is a "tip off" from Lope idle, kinda a stumble if you have been idling long. This "tip off" doesn't happen in the tune if you start the car with the Lope Idle off.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Hoping someone had some true numbers compared to stock soon.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

cant give you numbers because I have stock Pzero tires they are crap and spin like no tomorrow through the gears when it was "stock" and with the Ford Track key / Pro Cal tune its even worse smoke city until after fourth gear on the street. it does get bite but with each gear you spin longer than before maybe Ill put on my new wheels and tires set and go to the track here if I get time been taking it easy with a back injury lately.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Just an update. I had my TrackCal installed at a local dealer in the middle of June. A few days ago I got a new sim card from Ford Racing. It had a $0 invoice but no letter or instructions. So I called the tech line. They told me it was a revised tune. I asked what was changed and they said "some code." Duh! I know that. He wouldn't give any other details. Then he told me to intall it myself. So I did. Here's what you do:
1. Hook up a battery charger. The procal will prompt you to do this.
2. Turn off all accesories.
3. Put the original sim card in the ProCal.
4. Hold down enter and plug it in. Clear any codes.
5. Select return to stock tune.
6. Complete the upload, takes a few minutes.
7. Unplug the ProCal when complete.
8. Put new sim in ProCal. Better write a date on them. They look identical.
9. Plug in ProCal while holding down enter.
10. Let it update the ProCal.
11. Turn on the key. Clear any codes.
12. Upload the new tune.

Note that during the upload guage lights will flash and chimes will sound.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradone View Post
Quote Ford Racing/Quote Magic City Ford - If the car throws a code that proves the Track Key Tune caused the failure then after 3/36 it would not be covered. Currently there is no way for Ford to be able to PROVE it was the tune because there are no codes that exist that show that and therefore it cannot be proven. You drop a piston there is nothing that can directly point to the Track Key Tune. It would all be speculation and not hard evidence. If people will call Ford Racing and the dealership they will find out there is really no more reason to worry than if nothing was done to the car.
Is this the same for the pro cal tune for the automatic. No codes that point towards engine failure caused by the tune? If so, I just found my tune.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

No idea mustangz to be honest I have talked to several dealers and it did not seem to be a big issue I mean any scenario could happen they could come back and say well if that is the case "prove" it didn't. That being said anything is a gamble when you start altering new cars but I personally feel good about the Ford Racing backing and my dealership as well and the relationship we have and if you want to hear the details and words from Ford Racing call them and talk to Ray or Michael they will go over how it works (on their end) also talk to your dealer and check out ArtU comments he makes good points and is a very sensible guy.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. I want a tune bad, the 5.0 is anemic below 3K rpm's. For shifting, I can just pull fuse 47, so that's not too big of a deal, although, I have heard that it's easier to get the auto to have a hard downshift with the FRPP tune.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder69 View Post
Hoping someone had some true numbers compared to stock soon.
It's possible, most people are too lazy to do it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting - emailed w one of the techs at Ford Racing re the use of Premium with this and he confirmed at least 91 octane all the time. Then he mentioned if slight pinging is noted to invest in an oil catch can in the EGR line (like many of us already have added). I didn't want that oil going into my chambers but didn't think about it effecting the AFR...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
. I didn't want that oil going into my chambers but didn't think about it effecting the AFR...
It doesn't effect AFR, just the octane.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Live n learn thx
Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

I did figure out the "tip in" I was experiencing. I had told the dealer I had not planed to use the launch control. The launch point was left at factory 2K so the motor would not rev higher than that until I left go of the clutch. I raised it to 2.5k and that is perfect for driving on the street normally. A quick move of the Cruz control buttons can change it anytime you are stopped.

Art
Old 08-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

So if u have a 13 that was produced 9 of 12 your screwed for this tune?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
medic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing Track-Cal!!

According to this statement I pulled off of Ford Racing Parts, you can get the Pro Cal with the Track Calibration tune, but not the track key.

TracKey or Track Cal - Which is right for me?

TracKey provides the customer a unique key that activates the calibration once it has been installed. TracKey is sold and installed exclusively through US and Canadian Ford and Lincoln Dealers. Special equipment and training is required to install TracKey. TracKey is available for some 2014 Mustang GT's with manual transmission (build date after 7/1/2013)

Track Cal is supplied via our exclusive Pro-Cal flash tool. It is always active but lopey idle can be turned off. Available for all 2013-2014 Mustang GT's with manual transmission.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks 71

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
medic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

So my Track Cal came today from FR...at least the filter and paperwork did. Wasn't the ProCalsupposed to be in the box?? The say to call in and register it but that's a little hard to do if it's not included! Calling them tomorrow....
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

No, you have to go online and register your information, then they will send you the Pro Cal with the tune. Read the paper work that came with your first shipment.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
They overnight it to you once you register.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing Track-Cal!!

Called Ford Racing Parts - yes they overnight the ProCal once you register- silly me didn't read the BACK side of the yellow sheet.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Are you able to flash the car back to stock using the Pro Cal tool? Or are you stuck with the Track Cal tune. I'm not sure if there would be a need to return the car to stock but I would hope it's an option like with after market tuners.
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT