Ford Racing Track-Cal!! - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Yes. You can use the Track Cal/Pro Cal to return your car to stock tune.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Great
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma96 View Post
Are you able to flash the car back to stock using the Pro Cal tool? Or are you stuck with the Track Cal tune. I'm not sure if there would be a need to return the car to stock but I would hope it's an option like with after market tuners.
I have used my Procal tuner to change the tire size to the proper revs per mile. Those changes flash in about 5 secs by the way! I hear it set that in the dash cluster, not flashing the ECU it seems. Also lets you change the car to help adjust to gas octane, yes or no. For example I get good 93 gas here and the Octane adjust is No for full timing. If I took a trip to FLA or cross country I would change it to Yes in-case I got iffy 91 octane gas during the trip.

The instructions in the Procal tell you how to flash it back to stock and how to put it in the first place. So even that I have not done it, the options are on the tuner menus I have look thru and the instructions.

The tuner also has some very interesting dealer type diagnostics , none documented in the instructions for the tune. They are much more then just reading bad code. They seem to be the ones the dealer would use. IN the winter months while the car is in the barn for months; I plan to see what all they are, no time right now. I bet it can do things like have the car relearn the crank sensor timing and other advanced dealer needs.

Edit; Backing up your tune. Unlike the SCT that had a cord to hook it to a PC to back up your tune, the Procal has the TrackCal tune on a SDcard. Being I know how easy sdcards are to fail, i Removed it and used an SD-card Imaging program to put the complete card image on a few backup files on different computers for 10 years from now when things like that come up and got the backup already.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for detailed reply. Are you happy with the performance gains? Do you feel it was worth the price?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

I personally feel it "woke the engine up!"
I am not really concerned about top HPR gains at the top end of 7000rpm where I never really am at on the street. The lower end TRQ gains of 60# at 1500rpm are more useful for street driving and spirited pulls. But the 16 extra hpr up top makes the motor numbers say 436 hpr now now instead of 420 for beer braggin'

Throttle response is super right there, pull on the extra boat load of timing is amazing, It tossed my boss back in the seat and he said "Farkin' A"/

Basically it takes out all kinds of things [600 or so computer data points] they put in for normal folks to feel ok driving a car that makes this more performance feeling. An example is Engine deceleration is designed for true track like performance now, not regular car like. That means push in pull back just by tippin' the throttle in and out a bit. That also helps makes your exhaust notes sound so much more old school all over the range of driving. I do recommend a good axle back like GT500s or Borla Muffs to get the best old school sound; I have Borla ATAKs, as I loved the Borla S-types on my previous 3.7 V6.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Is cold engine surge or drivability the same, improved or worse? Until my car is up to normal temp on cool mornings my car like many or most 5.0's surges and has ahard time maintaining low rpm speed 1st or 2nd gear.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is cold engine surge or drivability the same, improved or worse? Until my car is up to normal temp on cool mornings my car like many or most 5.0's surges and has ahard time maintaining low rpm speed 1st or 2nd gear.
Ford is unique also in this area. Until the motor comes up to full operating temperature for 3 mins, 198 degrees coolant; and no other sensors are giving input as to abnormal needs, the tune at the low end idle does not come on, it stays stock. Then once its warmed up 3mins it comes on. Otherwise you can always shut it off when starting by holding the Cruz Off while starting for 5 secs and the tach sweeps over to 8k and back showing you it tuned that off.

Overall drivability is fine for me, except for touchy throttle response which is what I am expecting.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, So it has those features without TracKey? My is a 2014 that I bought in April this year but was built inMay of 2013 go figure. I was disappointed but will get over it. Oh my car also has the Track Pack option with the 3:73 rear end
Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

"Cruz Off"? What do you mean by that? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
"Cruz Off"? What do you mean by that? Sorry for all the questions.
Cruise control I'm guessing.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I didn't know it would have a second function other than the obvious
Old 09-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
Why no autos for this?
Yeah, I wish they'd release a version for Autos. I'm guessing since all Boss302's were manual, they just took the Boss302 tune, packaged it up for a GT (basically probably did nothing) and are selling it for profit.

I have a Premium, so I already have trackapps, but since I haven't tuned my car yet & was considering the ProCal & I thought why not get the TrackCal and get lopie idle too.

I thought there was also something involved (at least there is with the trackey) with lowering the intervention threshold for traction control, etc. Maybe its like the SportMode being turned on when you put the track key in? FYI, in case you didn't know... hold brake pedal & tap traction control twice (quickly) for sport mode traction control.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I didn't know about the sport trac control - I just turn mine off at the track- have to try it next time out.
Finally dropped my GT at the dealer for the install this morning - looking fwd to the results!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
I didn't know about the sport trac control - I just turn mine off at the track- have to try it next time out.
Finally dropped my GT at the dealer for the install this morning - looking fwd to the results!
Yeah, it lets you slip the rear end out a little. ie: throttle over steering

And way better than turning the traction control off completely and ending up in a wall!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Dealership called and said they need to swap a chip in the car along with the reprogram and bumped the cost to $150 - am I getting dicked? I didn't think a chip swap was needed w this since in theory people could do this at home without the warranty part...?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes they're sticking it to you..............
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

UNLESS his car was the pre July 2013 and they're actually changing something to make the car compatible. BUT I'm with Grabber... and think its probably BS.

MAYBE they needed to update the ECU to the latest version first, so they're trying to charge you for having to flash it twice!?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

By 'chip' the service guy was actually talking about the SD card for the pro cal - he really doesn't understand it.
It is a 13 but built in June of 12 if I recall.
I didn't get the T-C from them so they are probably trying to make their $ in 'labor'

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

You don't need anything other than the TrackCAL tuner ordered.
You don't have to change anything in a 2013 GT use TRACkCAL tuner.

The SD-card comes from ford racing. At any rate $150 for a dealer to FLAsh the car and do the required FOrd Racing paperwork is not sticking it to you, I paid $160 and they took 2 some hours. Otherwise loose the warranty and do it for free pay to play. But changing a CHIP I think the service guy BS means Flash the computer

The Cruz Control on off buttons control the Launch RPM as well. Lots of tricks your cars buttons can do, like enter service mode on start-up on your LCD screen for example and dump info on its screens.

It doesn't come on autos as you would stall at the stop lights, and they likly didnt want to have to make a tune all over again just for them (Boss was Manual)

On the MPT stage 2 cam tune for autos I tried in my V6, I had to shift in neutral evertime I came to a stop or the engine would die. Had MPT "Feather it" to make it a 1/2 stage to run right in an auto.

Art
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, So it has those features without TracKey? My is a 2014 that I bought in April this year but was built inMay of 2013 go figure. I was disappointed but will get over it. Oh my car also has the Track Pack option with the 3:73 rear end
Yes the TrackCal tune with Procal Tuner is the TrackKey tune without the extra KEY for 2013+ MT82 GTs.

the 2014 1/2 has a boss dual path instrument cluster and can read two different keys. Ford reusing parts

Track Key guys don't get a tuner to keep like we do
Art
Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks
Does your car surge when cold or not up to full temp? Some days I find it a handful to drive without feeling like I don't know how to drive a standard. I have to be honest on some days I want to pull over at the first car dealer and trade it in. I have owned and driven standards for 35 years never had a car new or old that ran so poor when cold.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine does the same thing, surges pretty good at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle until it gets to operating temp. It is very short lived though, as it reaches temp pretty quick. I absolutely love downshifting with the tune, sounds awesome and turns lots of heads.

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

What are you guys callin' cold with surges? Do you actually drive them in the 4th season cars are not ment to be driven in? if so are you kiddin' ? You buy a truck for that season

I drive my car 3 seasons in the north of Ohio. the 4th season like the 60s bible song is not the season to drive cars in

I have had no issues with surges in 42+ mornings so far in NW Ohio.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, thanks
Does your car surge when cold or not up to full temp? Some days I find it a handful to drive without feeling like I don't know how to drive a standard. I have to be honest on some days I want to pull over at the first car dealer and trade it in. I have owned and driven standards for 35 years never had a car new or old that ran so poor when cold.
If your stock, and above say 43 degrees, you have a problem most do not. My 5.0 stock or otherwise has never been a hand full cold. You start your car, watch the LCD to see the O2s kick on and make your AFR start moving (13 seconds) then back out of your whatever driveway or garage. It just plain works before or after the Ford tune.

Or are you talking about temperatures a 'Stang should never be driven at???

If that's a handful, perhaps a track tune might be 2 handfuls ??? Just askin' ?? Its for folks that want to drive,,,,not be driven....
Old 09-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

It's anytime the engine is cold not the outside temp. Even after work when the car has sat all day. Maybe I have something going on that a dealer should check out.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mine does the same thing. Throttle is super touchy and it's jerky when pulling out.
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Yup that's it
Old 09-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

I can say any tune I have had on the V6 and this V8 TrackCal tune improves throttle response, and can make that jerky if you don't drive it.

For example, If I just push and let off and push and let off its going to toss you back and forth in the seat, by design.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

First off, ArtU, your "it's for folks that want to drive" comment is BS. If you have no clue what we are talking about with the surge issues, don't just assume it's the way we are driving. I'm in hot and humid TX, so the outside temps are a non issue as far as the cold goes. The surging happens on cold starts, as I'm driving before the engine reaches normal operating temp. I doubt it even lasts for a couple of miles until the engine warms up, so it's really not a problem for me. Not sure how long Tacoma96's surging is lasting? It's just a little bit of hesitation while at about half throttle, through first and a little bit of second gear.

Chris
Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing Track-Cal!!

I'm not talking about being "jerky" as in letting off the throttle and getting back on it in first gear. That would, and should cause quite a bit of jerk.

Chris
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
First off, ArtU, your "it's for folks that want to drive" comment is BS. If you have no clue what we are talking about with the surge issues, don't just assume it's the way we are driving.
Chris
Hi Chris, that quote is on the Tune, not your surge issue. I simply wanted to point out the tune makes the throttle very touchy as well.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

No worries, you are right though about the tune making the throttle touchy. The engine braking makes the difference.

Chris
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, no tune and keeping a steady throttle and surges like crazy
Old 09-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Let's not forget what we are talking about here. This is an 11:1 400+ hp quad cam V8, running on pump 87 in the stock tune. It's gonna be a little sensitive on warmup. If you had a carb on an 11:1 PR V8 making this kind of power, you'd have a sputtering, undriveable 5 mpg beast.

The surging can pretty easily be driven around for the rare occasions it occurs and the couple of kilometers it lasts. It's not a goddamn Camry.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

93 octane always and regardless of power output it should behave when cold. The condition is always as well when cold or has been sitting long enough to go back to 0 temp on dash. Plan on taking it in. We have 2 hemi cars in the family and they play nice when cold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT