Ford Racing Track-Cal!! - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Picked up my car this morning. Didn't get a chance to get on it yet, but the lopey idle is amusing. Reminds me of being in a car during one of our typical rolling earthquakes. Only a 3.5-4 on the Richter scale...nothing to worry about here, folks...move along...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Probably a question beaten to death

This is only manual cars correct ?

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing Track-Cal!!

Dbl posted sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Probably a question beaten to death

This is only manual cars correct ?

That is correct.

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
That is correct. (manual trans. only)
FORD engineers if you're reading this... we want it for auto's too!

If there's enough interest they may do it. I used to be one of the "a real sports car should be manual" guys, until the past few years when auto's have become as good or faster than manual transmissions. And coming from the "Porsche side of town" their higher end cars, like Turbos & GT3's are going to be auto only going forward. Then again their PDK (dual clutch auto) is freakin phenomenal.

Granted autos take a little of the fun & control out of driving, but it lets you concentrate on other things, like texting/talking & driving (just kidding), or perfecting your turns if you're doing HPDE's, etc.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

I love sticks. My jeep and mustang before was sticks.

However when I wanted a new 2014, wife only gave me a green light if she could drive it. And she won't/can't drive manual - so auto it was.

But I want a tune! Just worried about warranty.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Owned my car since new in 2011, have had that cold engine surge since the day I got it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Well I guess I may not like it but it appears normal.is yours a 5.0?
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
No its a Corolla

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Yes

"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry wasent sure if it was a 2011 was a 4.6 or 5.0 - My 2003 GT 4.6 to this day runs perfect cold or warm .
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I love sticks. My jeep and mustang before was sticks.

However when I wanted a new 2014, wife only gave me a green light if she could drive it. And she won't/can't drive manual - so auto it was.

But I want a tune! Just worried about warranty.
You can get a ProCal Ford Racing tune with an Auto GT, just not one with the Lope Idle. Lope is not very driveable on an Auto with stock stall on your torque converter.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
You can get a ProCal Ford Racing tune with an Auto GT, just not one with the Lope Idle. Lope is not very driveable on an Auto with stock stall on your torque converter.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346

Wow! Awesome!
So that won't screw up my factory warranty if a ford dealer installs?

Will that make the throttle more responsive ?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Wow! Awesome!
So that won't screw up my factory warranty if a ford dealer installs?

Will that make the throttle more responsive ?

Reduces it to 3 years/36K miles
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Folks we have killed the myth that it reduces your warranty in full, which on this one is 2 years, TrackCal 3 years. If your dealers installs this, only items that are directly shown to be the cause of the Ford Racing tune are covered under the ford racing warranty of 2 or 3 years depending on the part. My dealer says my 7yr/100,000 warranty is just fine.

If your dealer's server department doesn't agree don't get it or find another dealer. TIP: buy it directly from your dealer, not mail order.

Yes it increases Throttle response and wakes up an Auto.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma96 View Post
93 octane always and regardless of power output it should behave when cold. The condition is always as well when cold or has been sitting long enough to go back to 0 temp on dash. Plan on taking it in. We have 2 hemi cars in the family and they play nice when cold.
Seriously, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The Hemi is a lower compression, single cam V8 making, for the most part, significantly less power with significantly more displacement than a 5.0. The 5.0 is going to be touchier because it's making more power on less displacement through typical methods like high compression and aggressive cam timing.

How well the 5.0 litre behaves is amazing given the fact even last generation engine management couldn't even have started this engine, much less made it run, make power, pass emissions regs and get good fuel mileage and durability.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Understood - we all just have to live with it or move on. I really didn't want to cause anyone to be upset. I do like my car and the 5.0 or I wouldn't have traded my ST in for one. I just have to start it and go - the day in day out work routine and on some mornings went I am still a bit on auto pilot it can be a pain. My of my first cars was a 65 Mustang 2+2 with a 289hp 3 speed and I have always loved Mustangs and the other Fords I have owned - so I will stop whining about the cold surge and focus on how awesome it runs when it warms up.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, no hard feelings here.

I do get a wee bit of this, once or twice a month, and can usually drive around it using a different gear selection or just clutching in and re-selecting a gear for the few seconds it occurs. Hence, I'm not particularly bothered by this, given it is, by most standards, a pretty highly strung sporty car, not a Honda Accord. I was well aware this going in. What actually pissed me off with the stock tune was how soft it was down low, the slightly non-linear throttle response, skip shift and the rev hang. Procal fixed all those things and left all the protection strategies in place.

Engines have consistent principles in their operation but cannot be directly compared when they have different execution of those principles. The LSx engines GM makes are also very easy to drive all the time, because they enter the game with the same idea as the Hemi, big displacement, relatively low compression, low rev limit. Getting 420 horses out of 6.4 litres of engine is pretty relaxed and easy these days. Squeezing it out of something spotting the competition 1.4 litres of engine displacement is going to take a more radical approach. The sound and fury of this engine is absolutely magnificent. It has more in common with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or a V8 M3 than it does with and most American pushrod truck-based engines.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

I get it. It kind if funny how you say the car is "soft" the car is down low. I agree as when I first test drove it compared to my ST I though it was a sled in the test drive which had a sales person with me. I looked over at him and said this thing is fast right. The dealer was located in a congested area and I couldn't wind it up or really step on it. On a second test drive I had a little more space and knew the car had the right stuff. I plan on adding the Ford ProCal tune soon but can't get the TracKey because although its an '14 I bought in this April or May it was built in May 2013
Old 09-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

The stock tune is marshmallow creme soft down low, in my opinion, so they can get the car to take 87 octane fuel on 11:1 and pass emissions regs with port injection easily. So, they back the spark curve and cam timing off a good bit.

The spark curve on the Procal/Track Cal is reasonably aggressive, not crazy like I've seen on some tunes, according to my datalogs, but still strong, pushing about 25 degrees max, from what I have observed. It really needs good quality 91+ octane fuel. That timing curve's the primary reason why it gives the car so much jump off the bottom, compared to stock.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Just a Reminder of the Different Ford Racing Tunes for COYOTE GTs:
ProCal : 2011+ 5.0 Auto or Manual - Adds performance & response
TrackCal : 2013+ Manual only- same above+ Launch control, pit cruz, and Lope Idle on/off
TrackKey: 2014-1/2 Manual only -Same as above but no tuner needed, uses a separate key.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Just a Reminder of the Different Ford Racing Tunes for COYOTE GTs:
ProCal : 2011+ 5.0 Auto or Manual - Adds performance & response
TrackCal : 2013+ Manual only- same above+ Launch control, pit cruz, and Lope Idle on/off
TrackKey: 2014-1/2 Manual only -Same as above but no tuner needed, uses a separate key.
Does the ProCal adjust the Automatic's shifting? Or is throttle response / engine performance (16hp/60 lb torq) only ?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Procsl does not adjust the automatic strategy. Some are on with it, some find that a problem.

Definitely better choices if auto tuning is desired. The tune was really never meant for the auto market.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Procsl does not adjust the automatic strategy. Some are on with it, some find that a problem.

Definitely better choices if auto tuning is desired. The tune was really never meant for the auto market.
I found this quote, but I'm guessing the transmission tuning is still very mild compared to an aftermarket tuner.

Quote:
from FRPP catalog about ProCal (not TrackCal) and auto trans:

"Automatic transmission calibration is an area where Ford Racing sets itself apart from other “tuners.” We generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels we feel would be unacceptable to a customer. In development we monitor things like clutch slip times, slip energies, band temperatures and other variables to make calibration changes as appropriate so that the customer can be sure of a quality product that will continue to deliver improved performance in the long-term. As mentioned before, these changes are performed by the same engineers who designed and developed the vehicles in the first place, and who are more familiar than anyone with their performance and durability envelopes."

"Many of our competitors develop their calibrations exclusively on a chassis dyno and go straight from there to the end customer. While dyno work is a critical part of the development process, it is only one piece of a very complex puzzle. Calibrating for wide open throttle (WOT) is generally simple, but the bulk of the calibration effort is getting the part (and closed) throttle drivability correct. Our calibrations are developed not only on the dyno, but also on the street for production (or better) quality drivability, and across many vehicles to allow for manufacturing tolerances. Varied driving conditions, constant data monitoring and long-term testing ensure consistent drivability and exceptional durability.

In recent years, cars and trucks have shifted toward electronic throttle control (ETC) or “drive-by-wire” systems for packaging, cost and enhanced calibration functions. Ford Racing calibrations for ETC vehicles take advantage of some of the increased functionality offered by these systems by changing the relationship between the pedal and the throttle for improved “performance feel.” This allows us to provide substantial improvements in “performance feel” even on the kits where the peak horsepower increase might be considered modest by some.
The peak power numbers do not always tell the whole story."
quoted from: http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ml/page78.html
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

I know they say that but many report if there is work going on here it isn't really noticeable to the end user.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if its only in the S mode or in standard D also ?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

D, no tuners can access Sport mode on the shifter
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
D, no tuners can access Sport mode on the shifter
Really? So you're saying FORD (Racing) Engineers can not access Sport mode?
Maybe aftermarket tuners can't.

If anything I'd expect Ford Racing to put ProCal's improved shifting on both or on the S mode exclusively, so gas mileage remains good on standard D. Maybe that's the problem people haven't tested the S mode extensively before & after.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

If a tuner could access it, FRPP would be most likely. Keep in mind though, Steeda gets early access, and some design features of the cars, and still can't access Sport mode
Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I will say I have a Lund tune on my automatic and no matter what mode it's in I notice the difference in the shifts now that it's tuned.

14' GT PREMIUM
DEEP IMPACT BLUE
mav351w is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT