Need a tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Need a tune

When I put in my off-road x pipes I'll need a tune. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get the tune done at in the Chicagoland area? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BackInBlack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just do an email tune. Cheaper in the long run than running a dyno tune for every small thing you install.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was actually looking at the SR plug in MIL eliminators as a cheaper route too only because I don't plan on packing on any other mods that need a tune in the near future. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInBlack14 View Post
I was actually looking at the SR plug in MIL eliminators as a cheaper route too only because I don't plan on packing on any other mods that need a tune in the near future. Thanks!

as far as I know, there are no eliminators that will work on our cars. although a tune is not technically needed as CEL does not effect anything driveability or power wise, but I'd definitely look into a tune, I highly recommend Shaun at AED

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay, it says All on AmericaMuscle's website. I'll have to check with them and see if it's comparable on 14's. AED is a little far though. I'm in the Chicagoland area and don't think I can make it to California. Ha what's a simple tune usually run, cost wise, any idea?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Dallas, what exactly is an email tune? New to this whole tuning thing.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lots of shops are providing canned tunes that you can download to your car using a handheld like SCT.

American Muscle sells the tuner and unlimited lifetime tunes for like $300-350.

Steeda now has lifetime tunes too.

Lund Racing also sells email tunes.

This is convenient for bolt on applications where you make small changes here and there like CAI, mid pipe, intake manifold, etc...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ah, got ya. So I'd buy the hand held and download the tune. That's a little pricy but for free tunes it seems worth it. I'll probably stick the SLP Loudmouths on there and see how it sounds. If I want it any louder then I'll go pick up the x pipes and tuner. Thanks again. Let the mayhem begin.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AED is a little far though. I'm in the Chicagoland area and don't think I can make it to California.

hahaha no man, you send Shaun an email, he'll send you a list of PID's he wants data logged, you do the logs and send them back to him and he'll write you a tune for you to data log again, he'll make any necessary changes. FYI I, he charges $250

Old 07-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ****, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. I'm looking into that now then.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh ****, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. I'm looking into that now then.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I forgot to mention, you will also need a hand held sct tuner, it will he tempting to go with a place that offers tunes along with the tuner, I highly suggest going with Shaun and AED, you will not regret it.......

Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I figured that'd mean I'd need a Sct handheld for the tune. I mean eventually I'll need one anyways. Have you gone through AED, what tunes did you have done?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I figured that'd mean I'd need a Sct handheld for the tune. I mean eventually I'll need one anyways. Have you gone through AED, what tunes did you have done?

yes I'm am AED tuned and very happy, I was using Bama before, they were ok but my gas mileage was bad with them, I couldn't be happier with AED

Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
For tuning, your best bet would to purchase the SCT X4 from either AM or Steeda for $400. Essentially you're getting a 'custom tunes for life' program for free, because you're only paying for the device. After that, you can purchase a custom tune from either Lund, AED, MPT, etc. for $200-$250 (whatever they're charging) and use that tune instead.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My only thing is that the only reason I need a tune is because of the off road x pipes setting off the O2 sensor and CEL. That's a lot of money to put out just to turn off a light.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You also need a tune to turn off COT as well. Without it your car will continue to dump fuel to cool the cats which are no longer present.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My only thing is that the only reason I need a tune is because of the off road x pipes setting off the O2 sensor and CEL. That's a lot of money to put out just to turn off a light.

Damn AM doesn't even sell the tuner by itself lol

No one does for less than $379. I remember AM had the option to buy the tuner by itself without tunes.

Well it might seem hefty to pay $400 or so now but in the long run its cheap cuz every time you engine mod you might need a tune. If you change rims or even tire sizes you need a recalibration. I've had them send me like 8 or 9 tunes now in two years. I'm about to get new taller tires so they be sending me another new file.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If you get the SCT and it comes with free tunes, would you be able to buy the tuner and get the tune for free? That wouldn't be a terrible deal.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you get the SCT and it comes with free tunes, would you be able to buy the tuner and get the tune for free? That wouldn't be a terrible deal.

Yes you have a choice of various places. Steeda is one. I have BAMA. I can't say with absolute certainty they are the best cuz they're all that I've used.

I will at least say they have up to this point been responsively reliable with any changes in tunes.

Also I can definitely feel the power increase vs stock.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yean man, you're getting a lot more than turning off the CEL, as mentioned, you are also turning off the COTS which I totally forgot about, and you're getting the added power of the tune itself

Old 07-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Is there a "How to PID and Data log for dummies" out there? I can download a tune from an SCT, but after that, I'm clueless.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Yes you have a choice of various places. Steeda is one. I have BAMA. I can't say with absolute certainty they are the best cuz they're all that I've used.

I will at least say they have up to this point been responsively reliable with any changes in tunes.

Also I can definitely feel the power increase vs stock.
Bama is good as a starter tune, but as the mods increase a tune like AED or Mike Rousch is a good idea. Bama for example does not turn off the torque management while AED does.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

To touch on again what someone else said, you'll need it to turn off the COT mode for sure. I ran BBK cat deletes on mine for quite a while with no tune an CEL on... Terrible fuel economy and definitely was dumping a bunch of excess fuel. Don't recommend running it without one at all.

dudley279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Bama is good as a starter tune, but as the mods increase a tune like AED or Mike Rousch is a good idea. Bama for example does not turn off the torque management while AED does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley279 View Post
To touch on again what someone else said, you'll need it to turn off the COT mode for sure. I ran BBK cat deletes on mine for quite a while with no tune an CEL on... Terrible fuel economy and definitely was dumping a bunch of excess fuel. Don't recommend running it without one at all.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

Don't judge.... Lol

dudley279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Allowing customers to mess with parameters is cause for disaster on a tuner. You'll notice that Shaun asks ALOT of questions and basically interviews each customer and will not tune certain setups. Bama on the other hand doesn't have the man power to tune the amount of orders and allow customers (who have no idea what they're doing) to mess with certain PID's, turning off torque management, etc.

We'll turn it off if the customer asks or if we feel they know what they're doing. Just another insurance measure.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Allowing customers to mess with parameters is cause for disaster on a tuner. You'll notice that Shaun asks ALOT of questions and basically interviews each customer and will not tune certain setups. Bama on the other hand doesn't have the man power to tune the amount of orders and allow customers (who have no idea what they're doing) to mess with certain PID's, turning off torque management, etc.

We'll turn it off if the customer asks or if we feel they know what they're doing. Just another insurance measure.
Thing is its sort of a catch 22 right? If the customer has a shiit load of mods why would he lie about it? You can always request a datalog.

Besides anything beyond boltons I seriously doubt anyone would be comfortable with anything other than dyno tune.

So yeah within certain parameters BAMA and all canned tunes are safe as long as they follow the guidelines. If they don't. Then they blow shiit up. But then again that goes for dyno tunes for simple CAI, cat deletes, exhausts, manifolds, etc...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Thing is its sort of a catch 22 right? If the customer has a shiit load of mods why would he lie about it? You can always request a datalog.

Besides anything beyond boltons I seriously doubt anyone would be comfortable with anything other than dyno tune.

So yeah within certain parameters BAMA and all canned tunes are safe as long as they follow the guidelines. If they don't. Then they blow shiit up. But then again that goes for dyno tunes for simple CAI, cat deletes, exhausts, manifolds, etc...
That's not necessarily true, we just tuned a cammed twin turbo viper on a remote tune, we tuned a cammed 2013 Mustang with a 150 shot (and all the supporting mods for the 150 shot) on a mail order tune with no issues. We're remote tuning a twin turbo Mustang currently. It all depends on what the tuner's database is and what he has to work off of.

SCT only allows you to leave certain functions and parameters open in a .CEF file,, after that you would have to leave your tunes completely open which is another issue all in itself.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Where in Chicagoland you from? I'm near Joliet. I went from Bama to Hypermotive. They do an excellent job and you can't go wrong for a hundred bucks. My car has a BOSS intake, 85 mm tb, jlt long tube headers, off road x-pipe and a kooks axle back. They tuned it real nice. Thing is night and day between the hypermotive tune and original Bama tune. And that was a lot better then stock. I've heard a lot of good things about AED also. My decision came down to a lot of positive feedback about Hypermotive lately and it was half the price with data logging. Someone on another forum I'm on is supposed to be posting a dyno graph comparison soon of AED and Hypermotive. I can't wait to see that. I'll be doing the same comparison of Hypermotive and Bama here in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah Joliet is just a little bit from me. I'm more south east, right on the Illinois-Indiana border. Sounds like you have a sweet set up and a good deal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT