Are the 13-14 model Mustangs hard to steal?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Are the 13-14 model Mustangs hard to steal??

Without the key are the newer Mustangs hard to steal??Didn't know if thieves can easily make off my new car? Thanks
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Without the key are the newer Mustangs hard to steal??Didn't know if thieves can easily make off my new car? Thanks

Long story short, I tried to break into mine once. It's just about impossible without actually breaking something. But if you do break something (like the window), then I imagine it's no more difficult than most other new cars.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I guess that is the question. How do you drive it off without the key? It has a chip in it from what I understand that allows the car to start. So how do they overcome that?
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The two main tools of car thieves

#1=== They just tow it away with a tow truck. When you go to the mall or movies you should always back into the parking spot. They would have to take longer to hook it up so they normally will just move on. ( REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY)

#2=== They use the VIN Number. They can get your Vin # and follow you home to get an address. With the address they can get a name and phone Number. They just go to a dealer and get a key or fob made and most dealers just hand them out like candy if a person has the Name, address and phone number. If the dealer wants to call the owner the thief just gives them what is supposed to be a work number and they verify it with the thief's accomplice on a different number.

A lot of cars are stolen in our country because there are hardly any consequences when a thief gets caught. I personally think it should be a death penalty. First offence no matter the age.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
not any easier than any car. I will say (most) dealers will NOT make a key w/o proof of ownership. +1 on towing (or car jacking) as most likely, but you are more likely to be in an accident on the way home. I recomend active alarm systems to protect your belongings but they are only a deterant.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, a smart car thief would do what Ronnie says, as the days of breaking into a car and hotwiring it are over. You can't just rip the ignition out and stick a screw driver in to start a car anymore. Today, the specific key (or keys) that your car came with send codes to the PCM. Without those codes being sent, the engine won't fire, no way, no how. The computer has to "see" that your key is in the ignition so that it will send the signal to crank the engine.

I wouldn't worry about someone driving away with your car. Just remember to keep it locked and make sure you don't leave your keys laying around. I'd be much more worried about someone breaking into the car and stealing something out of it, which is why I never leave anything in the cabin.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You would really be surprised

Of course some dealers want only the cars owner to buy the key or fob in person. Most dealers really don't care and will just sell a key. Not only Ford dealers but GM, Dodge or BMW and any other dealers.
Sixty Minutes TV show went to a bunch of dealers to get a key or fob made with only the VIN number and I think it was 8 out of ten dealers never questioned it and sold them a key. ( It Could have been 20-20 TV show) It was a while back.

Anyway, Mustangs are way down the list of being stolen here in Florida. The Honda CIVIC is number one in this state. Toyota cotrella is number two.

Pick-up trucks are the most stolen vehicle in Florida or any other state. It don't matter what brand. Pick-up truck parts are probably what is the easiest to sell.

Ronnie
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Anyway, Mustangs are way down the list of being stolen here in Florida. The Honda CIVIC is number one in this state. Toyota cotrella is number two.

Ronnie

I think most people steal cars to commit a followup crime, so they pick cars that blend in with everyone else, instead of cars that stand out and are easily identifiable.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Like everyone said, really hard to drive our car away without the key, I would be more worry about someone just breaking in the car to steal stuff, or the wheels. It also depends on where you live, but Mustangs are not that commonly stolen.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Your probably right

Here in Florida the older cars are the most stolen. Probably way easier to steal and if used in a crime won't stand out as much.
I once had my car stolen back in 1969. It was a Z28 and never was found. I have really hated car thieves ever since and if I ever catch one in action I will get my revenge.
Ronnie
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I would think Ford would have came up with something like my old MB AMG had..

You have the key and fob, if you replace either one, you have to take the car in and have the key, fob and car all activated together.

I know this because I purchased a fob from MB online, got it, swapped the guts and key over, then the car wouldn't start. It never clicked with me until I sold the car to a friend and he towed it to an MB service center and they said the anti theft had been triggered by an unauthorized key. Little did I know that inside the fob is some type of transponder that is activated when the key is in the ignition, when you turn the key to start the car, the fob and car do a handshake, if it's the correct information the car will start. If it isn't, the fuel injectors are turned off and you have to take your car in to get everything reactivated.

It's a PITA if something does happen, but without that key and fob, nobody will be driving off in your car.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Of the three dealers in CT I tried (one each Honda, Toyota, Ford) at each I needed proof B4 they would make me a key....The Honda all I wanted was a "dummy key" ie NO chip and they wouldn't till I produced proof of ownership..it was my Loves car and I had to bring her.

I did tell her it counted as a date.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good

I'm hoping the dealers had a good learning experience and need absolute proof before handing out keys.

It's probably why so many cars are being towed away now a days. It only takes about 30 or 45 seconds to hook and book with these new tow systems. That is why I always back my car into a space at the mall. I put it in park with the brake on.
I sure would hate to lose my Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I never actually thought about backing into a parking space because of this reason. I usually do it just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rlapointjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

As if the tow guys care that they drag your tires......
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

I can't imagine he'd make it far on the highway towing a car with the e-brake up. Lol once the tire smoke turned to sparks I think he'd draw some attention.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
When the tires pop, rims start to spark, and bumper rips off onto the road, he'd have a hard time explaining it to the cops what he's doing to the mustang being towed.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I can't imagine he'd make it far on the highway towing a car with the e-brake up. Lol once the tire smoke turned to sparks I think he'd draw some attention.

They just drag it out of the spot and then hook the back end.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
They just drag it out of the spot and then hook the back end.

Not if there's a curb/car on either side.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Not if there's a curb/car on either side.

My point is, they are not going to tow it all the back to the tow lot dragging rear wheels that are locked up.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Everyone in this thread is delusional.......if a thief wants your car they are gonna get it. No matter if your car has a curb or car in front of it or its in your garage. Its not that hard. Do you think a thief that is gonna strip your car and sell it for parts is worried about dragging it over a curb in order to hook it up? Be pro active about the security on your vehicle but if they want it they are gonna get it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Are the 13-14 model Mustangs hard to steal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Everyone in this thread is delusional.......if a thief wants your car they are gonna get it. No matter if your car has a curb or car in front of it or its in your garage. Its not that hard. Do you think a thief that is gonna strip your car and sell it for parts is worried about dragging it over a curb in order to hook it up? Be pro active about the security on your vehicle but if they want it they are gonna get it.

I think this thread changed midstream from thieves to legal tows. That was what I was referring to, legal tows.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I think this thread changed midstream from thieves to legal tows. That was what I was referring to, legal tows.

I saw your point. You are correct and I agree.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Speed ---Speed --- Speed ---Speed --Speed

If they are going to steal your car by towing it away they sure have the equipment to just hook and go with it. They are not going to want to take the time to be fooling around with it.
Park it so they just can't do that and you are way better off then pulling it into a parking spot.
Chances are they don't want your Mustang anyway.

Another way they steal cars is to just stick a gun in your face and take it away from you.
Ronnie
PS: I found this list:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...r-years-on-top
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My point is, they are not going to tow it all the back to the tow lot dragging rear wheels that are locked up.

Install a retractable gun turret. Blast them fools in the face with frozen bullets of shiit.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
If this thread was about towing, it somehow diverted to stealing...DDTCM's thoughts on stealing are very true...if they want it, they will get it. However, most thieves wants little to no attention; if there is an easier target, they will go after it, rather then one that requires more effort or attention to get at. Use common sense, and some of the presented ideas listed here to make it a bit more difficult to get your ride, and have the theif move on to an easier target.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT