Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Nightmare @ Service

3K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  DallasStang77 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello I hope someone has had this issue and can help me fix it. My car has been at the dealership now for 8 days. It is a 2014 Mustang GT with 3000 miles on.

I took the car in on 7/9 to get my 1st oil change, balance my tires because I had a little vibration in the steering wheel & a wind noise.

On 7/11 I finally received the car back and they had completed the oil change, warrantied one tire due to excessive road force, while balancing them they managed to scratch all 4 wheels & told me the wind noise was gone.

I got in the car and started driving down the road and the steering wheel was visibly shaking & the wind noise was still there.

I had to pick the car up after the service department closed which was a Friday night so I was not able to bring the car back until Monday morning.

7/14 I brought the car back and explain the issues. They call me back later that day and explain that there were flat spots on all the tires and they went ahead and replaced all 4 tires & they also gave me 4 new rims. They said they had to do further testing with the wind noise.

7/16 They called me and told me that they found and fixed the wind noise. I went to the dealership and took a test drive with the manager and the noise was still there.
They told me they were going to contact Ford and see what they said.

7/18 They told me that they completed all the task that Ford said it could be and they were not able to fix the sound. They told me they drove 2 other brand new Mustang Gt's & they also make the same noise.

Here are the details on the noise: When I first dropped the car off it would make a very high pitch whistling sound @ 58-62 MPH.

After doing the test drive with them on 7/16 the noise can only be heard @ 68-72 MPH.

My question to you guys is do any of you have this high pitch whistling sound?

Any input would help. I am going tonight to pick the car back up.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've noticed a high pitch harmonic at 76mph but only after I installed an aluminum driveshaft. Never noticed it before so I assume the stock driveshaft helps to dampen the noise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
No wind noise here either... Had her from slow to at least a 100 miles at 90 on a road trip. Did not notice any wind noise. 2014 with 3700 miles.

#12 ·
I hear like pebbles crackling at 44s. Is that it? Where's the direction the wind noise is coming from? I'm assuming by the rear view mirror cuz u got the cam by the mirror?

Also does the pitch and sound of the noise change when you shift gears or apply brakes or accelerate faster or let off the gas?

#10 ·
Weird. My envoy Denali started doing that too. But only when the sun roof is cracked open not slid back. The more I think about it it's ever since I changed the position of the roof rack. Check for an loose trim or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
My Dodge Caravan made a similar noise. Piece of trim on the roof rack was not clicked in completely and would "peel open" at high speed causing a very irritating whistle similar to your sound. Dealer fixed it after telling my not to drive at 70 mph because the speed limit is 55 mph where I live. I kid you not.

#14 ·
This is why a radio is important.

What you hear is probably tire noise. It is probably even worse on different road surfaces.
Just drive the car until something pukes and then they will fix it.
Ronnie

#15 ·
idk if this will help...my Stang has No whistle, but years ago I had an Integra that would whistle at what I'll just describe as "high speed" I knew the dealer would not want to help. I was pleased when I realized it would leak when it poured. I had a faulty windshield seal. I would experiment with a hose, maybe you'll get lucky.

#18 ·
I am a salesman at a dealership I had two cars come into service for this same reason now these weren't mustangs but the sound is very similar. It took us all day to figure it out. One car had chrome cover on the mirrors and the other had body colored matching mirrors they weren't snapped into place correctly. You couldn't tell they weren't we snapped them back into place and the whistling is gone. Sorry for posting the whole story but I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#20 ·
Are you missing any plugs in the firewall. I know when i did the sound tube delete, i was driving around for a day without a plug in the firewall and it made an odd noise. Does outside temp change the sound or pitch? One thing you can do is turn the air on full blast, close the doors and put some soapy water on your seals.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
First I would take the car to a different dealership that doesn't suck, see what they can do for you.

#36 ·
So apparently when a Ford Engineer makes a decision about your car it is final. My case is now closed with Ford and I was told basically that is it. They said the high pitch noise is within the allowed tolerance. But no one could tell me what the range was or how the measured it.

I wonder if I can lemon law the car.

#38 ·
I still think the OP has "TIRE" noise

Ain't nothing can be done about "TIRE NOISE" but get different brand of tires such as Michelin's.
****************************************OR********************************************
Trade it in on a Lincoln or Cadillac.
Put a set of Borla Ataks on it.
Turn up the radio.

See, there are plenty of options to eliminate the tire noise.
Ronnie

#39 ·
Ain't nothing can be done about "TIRE NOISE" but get different brand of tires such as Michelin's.
****************************************OR********************************************
Trade it in on a Lincoln or Cadillac.
Put a set of Borla Ataks on it.
Turn up the radio.

See, there are plenty of options to eliminate the tire noise.
Ronnie
If it was tire noise I would have had it fixed already unfortunately that's not the issue.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#40 ·
I wish we did not live so far apart.

I live in Port Orange just south of Daytona right off of I-95.
I see you live near Delray.
I would really like to try to help you with the problem if you ever decide to come to Daytona or passing through.
I may or may not be coming to Miami After the 4th. of August. If I do I'll give you a shout and maybe we could get together.
How is the noise if your windows are open?
Ronnie

#41 ·
I live in Port Orange just south of Daytona right off of I-95.
I see you live near Delray.
I would really like to try to help you with the problem if you ever decide to come to Daytona or passing through.
I may or may not be coming to Miami After the 4th. of August. If I do I'll give you a shout and maybe we could get together.
How is the noise if your windows are open?
Ronnie
+1 its very cool of you to offer help to another member Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.