Nightmare @ Service - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Nightmare @ Service

Hello I hope someone has had this issue and can help me fix it. My car has been at the dealership now for 8 days. It is a 2014 Mustang GT with 3000 miles on.

I took the car in on 7/9 to get my 1st oil change, balance my tires because I had a little vibration in the steering wheel & a wind noise.

On 7/11 I finally received the car back and they had completed the oil change, warrantied one tire due to excessive road force, while balancing them they managed to scratch all 4 wheels & told me the wind noise was gone.

I got in the car and started driving down the road and the steering wheel was visibly shaking & the wind noise was still there.

I had to pick the car up after the service department closed which was a Friday night so I was not able to bring the car back until Monday morning.

7/14 I brought the car back and explain the issues. They call me back later that day and explain that there were flat spots on all the tires and they went ahead and replaced all 4 tires & they also gave me 4 new rims. They said they had to do further testing with the wind noise.

7/16 They called me and told me that they found and fixed the wind noise. I went to the dealership and took a test drive with the manager and the noise was still there.
They told me they were going to contact Ford and see what they said.

7/18 They told me that they completed all the task that Ford said it could be and they were not able to fix the sound. They told me they drove 2 other brand new Mustang Gt's & they also make the same noise.

Here are the details on the noise: When I first dropped the car off it would make a very high pitch whistling sound @ 58-62 MPH.

After doing the test drive with them on 7/16 the noise can only be heard @ 68-72 MPH.

My question to you guys is do any of you have this high pitch whistling sound?

Any input would help. I am going tonight to pick the car back up.
14 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I've noticed a high pitch harmonic at 76mph but only after I installed an aluminum driveshaft. Never noticed it before so I assume the stock driveshaft helps to dampen the noise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've never heard that before. Sorry man for all the probs hope they get it fixed for you!!

14' GT PREMIUM
DEEP IMPACT BLUE
mav351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I've never heard of this nor does mine do it.
Maybe you could post a video clip of it.
jaymz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz50 View Post
I've never heard of this nor does mine do it.
Maybe you could post a video clip of it.
I'm going to pick it up from Ford tonight on my way home from work. I'll try and see if my phone will pick up the sound to record it.

I also just opened up a case with Ford so hopefully this issue will get this fixed soon.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
No issue on wind noise here either, I just have the mysterious ticking going on that just started , but good luck in getting it fixed

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
No wind noise here either... Had her from slow to at least a 100 miles at 90 on a road trip. Did not notice any wind noise. 2014 with 3700 miles.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have a 2013 gt and up until about 15000 miles I did hear a whistling sound in 4th gear. I don't hear it anymore. I think it's pretty normal. I don't hear it anymore and I have 22k miles on it now.
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

http://youtu.be/natBUacm2Vg okay guys I made a recording of the sound it starts to get more pronounced at around 44 seconds. It's not the best recording and it's much louder when you're in the car.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Weird. My envoy Denali started doing that too. But only when the sun roof is cracked open not slid back. The more I think about it it's ever since I changed the position of the roof rack. Check for an loose trim or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My Dodge Caravan made a similar noise. Piece of trim on the roof rack was not clicked in completely and would "peel open" at high speed causing a very irritating whistle similar to your sound. Dealer fixed it after telling my not to drive at 70 mph because the speed limit is 55 mph where I live. I kid you not.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nightmare @ Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 5.0 View Post
http://youtu.be/natBUacm2Vg okay guys I made a recording of the sound it starts to get more pronounced at around 44 seconds. It's not the best recording and it's much louder when you're in the car.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I hear like pebbles crackling at 44s. Is that it? Where's the direction the wind noise is coming from? I'm assuming by the rear view mirror cuz u got the cam by the mirror?

Also does the pitch and sound of the noise change when you shift gears or apply brakes or accelerate faster or let off the gas?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I hear like pebbles crackling at 44s. Is that it? Where's the direction the wind noise is coming from? I'm assuming by the rear view mirror cuz u got the cam by the mirror?

Also does the pitch and sound of the noise change when you shift gears or apply brakes or accelerate faster or let off the gas?
it's not a crackling sound it is a high pitch whistle. that is just where my phone mount is thats why it is there. I can not pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from.

The sound is there @ 58-72 MPH. It is there if the a/c is off or on...I even opened and closed the windows to make sure they were sealed.

I really had to turn the sound up on my speakers to hear it on the recording. I will try tomorrow when I am off work if I can get a better recording..
Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is why a radio is important.

What you hear is probably tire noise. It is probably even worse on different road surfaces.
Just drive the car until something pukes and then they will fix it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
idk if this will help...my Stang has No whistle, but years ago I had an Integra that would whistle at what I'll just describe as "high speed" I knew the dealer would not want to help. I was pleased when I realized it would leak when it poured. I had a faulty windshield seal. I would experiment with a hose, maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Nightmare @ Service

Quote:
it's not a crackling sound it is a high pitch whistle. that is just where my phone mount is thats why it is there. I can not pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from.

The sound is there @ 58-72 MPH. It is there if the a/c is off or on...I even opened and closed the windows to make sure they were sealed.

I really had to turn the sound up on my speakers to hear it on the recording. I will try tomorrow when I am off work if I can get a better recording..
So its constant? Does not change when shifting or letting off the gas or accelerating?

I'm asking because if its constant then its probably not drivetrain specific. I doubt its the tires but road noise from tires could cause some harmonic resonance somewhere at certain speeds. If the whistle changes notes when the pavement changes then its could be the tires which may mean balancing issues. I had one temporary tire that I put on that I bought used and it would have this whistle woooooo woooo woooooo sound. After my rim and tire package I bought came in I changed it out and the sound stopped.

Try filming the next clip away from the windshield. Put it where about your head is maybe. The windshield has too much noise that I can't really hear the whistle.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

I just traded in my v6 for a 13 GT and I hear the exact same noise as this... Already took it for an inspection and they didn't hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I am a salesman at a dealership I had two cars come into service for this same reason now these weren't mustangs but the sound is very similar. It took us all day to figure it out. One car had chrome cover on the mirrors and the other had body colored matching mirrors they weren't snapped into place correctly. You couldn't tell they weren't we snapped them back into place and the whistling is gone. Sorry for posting the whole story but I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Randeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
just a guess. put painter tape on the hood vents se if it changes. No cost experiment
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

Region: Illinois
Are you missing any plugs in the firewall. I know when i did the sound tube delete, i was driving around for a day without a plug in the firewall and it made an odd noise. Does outside temp change the sound or pitch? One thing you can do is turn the air on full blast, close the doors and put some soapy water on your seals.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ifixjetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
First I would take the car to a different dealership that doesn't suck, see what they can do for you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So its constant? Does not change when shifting or letting off the gas or accelerating?

I'm asking because if its constant then its probably not drivetrain specific. I doubt its the tires but road noise from tires could cause some harmonic resonance somewhere at certain speeds. If the whistle changes notes when the pavement changes then its could be the tires which may mean balancing issues. I had one temporary tire that I put on that I bought used and it would have this whistle woooooo woooo woooooo sound. After my rim and tire package I bought came in I changed it out and the sound stopped.

Try filming the next clip away from the windshield. Put it where about your head is maybe. The windshield has too much noise that I can't really hear the whistle.
Yes it is constant and does not matter what gear I am. I tried recording the sound again but I can't pick it up any better than the first recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeezy23 View Post
I am a salesman at a dealership I had two cars come into service for this same reason now these weren't mustangs but the sound is very similar. It took us all day to figure it out. One car had chrome cover on the mirrors and the other had body colored matching mirrors they weren't snapped into place correctly. You couldn't tell they weren't we snapped them back into place and the whistling is gone. Sorry for posting the whole story but I hope this helps.

Thanks I have an appointment tomorrow and I will make this suggestion to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
just a guess. put painter tape on the hood vents se if it changes. No cost experiment
This was on the checklist that Ford gave the the dealership to try. They still were unable to find where it is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixjetz1 View Post
Are you missing any plugs in the firewall. I know when i did the sound tube delete, i was driving around for a day without a plug in the firewall and it made an odd noise. Does outside temp change the sound or pitch? One thing you can do is turn the air on full blast, close the doors and put some soapy water on your seals.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I am not missing an plugs from the firewall that I know of from what I read the engine noise would be very loud so I'm sure that I don't

The outside temp makes no difference at all.

The dealership had window guys come and check all the seals they told me that they put soap and did as you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
First I would take the car to a different dealership that doesn't suck, see what they can do for you.
I've contacted ford directly and opened a case. They setup an appointment for me at another dealership. Also, they are having an engineer look at my car.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

good luck man. i hope you can fix it. i am an oldie now at 45 and those type of noises would drive me insane.

El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just a guess but there's that sound tube that goes from the intake into the cabin. The wind noise could be from that. Perhaps remove it and block it off then see if anything changes?
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Just a guess but there's that sound tube that goes from the intake into the cabin. The wind noise could be from that. Perhaps remove it and block it off then see if anything changes?
No. OP says pitch and sound doesn't change with speed which would affect the sound of the intake thru the tube.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. OP says pitch and sound doesn't change with speed which would affect the sound of the intake thru the tube.
Could be something wrong with the orifice? While I agree it's not likely. It's an easy thing to disconnect and test. May as well rule everything out
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had a cricket in my car once. It made me go crazy for about 2 hours but it finally died from heat exhaustion. And nooooooooooooooo I didn't take it to the dealership to get looked at it. Hope they fix your issues bro.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think my exhaust is too loud to hear that wind noise...hahaha
2014FP85.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014FP85.0 View Post
I think my exhaust is too loud to hear that wind noise...hahaha
Best solution to any noise. Put your foot into it and crank the stereo!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Best solution to any noise. Put your foot into it and crank the stereo!
Crazy thing is the frequency that it is outputting I can still hear it with the radio up.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Crazy thing is the frequency that it is outputting I can still hear it with the radio up.
Done any electrical lately?

In my drag truck I have an issue with the new ignition. I have RFI that I can hear through the speakers. It's a very feint, fast buzz. Could almost mistake it for wind/road noise.

Ultimately I don't care enough to rewire it. You can't hear it when the radio is on and the motor is so damn loud you can barely hear the radio.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Done any electrical lately?

In my drag truck I have an issue with the new ignition. I have RFI that I can hear through the speakers. It's a very feint, fast buzz. Could almost mistake it for wind/road noise.

Ultimately I don't care enough to rewire it. You can't hear it when the radio is on and the motor is so damn loud you can barely hear the radio.
Nope, I have had the car less than 2 months it only has roughly 3000 miles on it and I haven't had a chance to do any mods at all.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope, I have had the car less than 2 months it only has roughly 3000 miles on it and I haven't had a chance to do any mods at all.
Does the sound change with different types of surfaces? IE - Asphalt, concrete, ect.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

So I just received a call from the dealership to come get my car. They told the the Ford Engineer said the high pitch noise is within tolerance and there is nothing they can do. I'm so frustrated with this.....
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I just received a call from the dealership to come get my car. They told the the Ford Engineer said the high pitch noise is within tolerance and there is nothing they can do. I'm so frustrated with this.....
Go to a different dealer. I've had success with this in the past.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT