From V6 to GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
From V6 to GT

Hey guys just bought a 2013 GT, I had a 14 V6.

Anything I should know for a first upgrade? I'm thinking to hit suspension first.

Also how is the driftshaft? I know the V6 had problems. Any problem areas to know here?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgolden30 View Post
Hey guys just bought a 2013 GT, I had a 14 V6.

Anything I should know for a first upgrade? I'm thinking to hit suspension first.

Also how is the driftshaft? I know the V6 had problems. Any problem areas to know here?

I think the drive shaft is fine on the GT, and it really isn't too much trouble on the V6. I'm not going to open that can of worms. I haven't heard much about the 13-14's having trouble.

I was thinking about that very subject today, if I got a newer Mustang, what would I do first..? And, I was like Suspension and Brakes. I would go with LCA's front and rear if you can afford it. If not then the front. A set of lowering springs is always a nice start, as well.

I would also upgrade the brakes if doesn't already have the Brembo package. Maybe I'm cynical here because this is the fifth time, I've had to fix mine for sticking.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If it's a manual, an aftermarket shifter is a big upgrade. It's something you use constantly. Rear upper and lower control arms will help with wheel hop. Exhaust is always nice

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
How do you guys have all this wheel hop? I have the BMR adj upper and lower control arms for the rear and just havent put them on because I have 0 wheel hop. It this not normal?
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Every car is different! Mine would wheel hop through 3rd if I was giving it the business. I installed the bmr upper and lower and have none now.

2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
How do you guys have all this wheel hop? I have the BMR adj upper and lower control arms for the rear and just havent put them on because I have 0 wheel hop. It this not normal?
If your GT is still on the stock tune, that's why. If you are tuned and don't have any bad wheel hop or tire spin, you've got a golden stang... Or a sh*tty tune.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It really depends what you want out of the car. Do you care about appearance, fastest et's, nice sounding car, etc. These cars (both GT and V6's) are pretty good overall cars and perform well from the factory so there isn't that one thing to change right away that bottlenecks the cars. So it's really a matter of what direction you want to take the car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
Agreed. I have 34,500 miles on my Auto GT, no wheel hop, and the OEM lower control arms on the Auto GT's are the most flexible LCA's installed on a GT, so I've not even given a single thought into LCA's o uppers for that matter.

Biggest and easiest upgrades to transform your car and not affect warranty:
- better dampers like Bilstein or Koni STR.T dampers (I have Bilstein)
- Axle-Back exhaust if you want to hear the Coyote
- Brembo brake kit if you have a non-Brembo or Track Pack model
- New wheels if doing Brembo upgrade
- Shifter or shifter bracket at a minimum for MT82 manual cars
- Better Tires, the stock A/S tires don't offer much grip
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Can u link me to brembo brake kit

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Dampers?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm jealous of your lack of wheel hop. Is it a more prevalent reaction on manual cars over auto cars? Manual cars obviously have less drive train loss so maybe the additional power seen at the wheels is enough to affect us more

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It could be his tires for lack of wheel "HOP"

The more a tire sticks -The more it can wheel hop.
A harder compound tire will spin enough to eliminate some or all wheel hop but will spin more.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgolden30 View Post
Dampers?
Ah yes, years of posting on these automotive forums has taught me not to say "shocks", as only the rear of 1979-2014 Mustangs use "shocks" while the fronts are struts.

So to cover the bases and be all inclusive in discussion, I either type dampers or struts/shocks.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
I'm jealous of your lack of wheel hop. Is it a more prevalent reaction on manual cars over auto cars? Manual cars obviously have less drive train loss so maybe the additional power seen at the wheels is enough to affect us more
The 2011+ GT Auto cars have more power than the 2005-2010 Mustang GT's, and the older cars had just as much wheel hop, so I don't think it's power related.

My hypothesis is that manual cars experience wheel hop due to driveline shock. An automatic is more "graceful" when delivering the power through the driveline. The Manual Trans cars come with stiffer lower control arms than the Auto cars as well, probably in an attempt to control the driveline shock.

It is said that CF driveshafts allow more twist than the steel or aluminum driveshafts, allowing for smoother power delivery and launches, but this may only be when using drag radials/slicks.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be recommended to install a CAI or just do a drop in K&N filter?

V6 Mustangs was CAI all the way, but I hear on this side of the forum that the stock is very good. Also I already have a BAMA tuner from my last car, but I am waiting for awhile to use it again just because of the power shock I have with this new car.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Stock intake and filter are fine. Cai requires tune typically and is really only for sound and looks.. Hp improvements are negligible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT