BAMA Tune and 1/4 mile run questions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
BAMA Tune and 1/4 mile run questions?

OK, I am getting my suspension done Friday and thinking of heading to local strip for first time over the weekend. There is a 1/4 mile 2 hours away and an 1/8 mile 20 minutes away so not sure which I will do. My power mods are below and I am adding Eibach Pro Damper shocks/ struts, Sportline springs, BMR adj. panhard, BMR adj. UCA and BMR LCA installed. Here are my three questions?

1. Should I run BAMA race 93, Hybrid 93 or street 93. Would it depend on 1/4 or 1/8 mile?

2. Based on what I have done what would be a good time for each to expect?

3. Any advice for new strip guy?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've never seen a Bama tuned car run a good time except their shop cars so run whatever toots your fancy because it won't matter. One reason is because you run a manual they don't have the ability to turn off torque management. Something I'm sure you didn't know.

Don't expect anything more than a mid 12.xx pass depending on what tires you're running.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Here are my runs with the Bama tunes on M/T ET Streets. The first two are on motor and the last was with a 100 shot. Additional mods are: Full Bassani exhaust, aluminum d/s, Barton 2 post bracket, Whiteline insert, adj. UCA, billet LCA, front sway bar and end links removed, Strano adj. rear sway bar, Airaid CAI, and bigs and littles. Needless to say I expected much better, especially on the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	162111  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What strip you going to for the 1/4?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I've never seen a Bama tuned car run a good time.
I'll start out by saying, I'm not tuned by Bama. now that, that's out of the way, lol come on man really? can you have that much hate towards Bama? it seems petty quite honestly, are they as good as someone like AED, Revolution, etc. etc? no they aren't, no they don't tune the cam timing, or mess with the torque management, but you sound silly saying they don't have fast cars running around with their tunes smh

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Look into another tune.
Bama is nothing more than a glorified canned tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
My Bama tunes are well over a year old. I know they supposedly tweak their tunes periodically to try and find more power, but I never bothered to update mine. I bought the SCT Pro Racer Package and intend to write my own tunes once I find the time to.

Grabber Blue5.0, I wasn't aware that the manual cars don't have the option to turn off torque management. How much of a negative effect does this have? Is turing off the TC and Adv. Trac the only option?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to be slow run bama.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
i suggest you go with a different tune as well, i had bama for a little bit along with various modifications. After doing a dyno pull to see where I was at, I found my car to be severely underpowered and running dangerously lean, this also explained why my quarter mile times were disappointing as well. I booked an appointment with my local dyno tuners soon after that dyno pull and got the proper power out of my car with a night and day difference in drivability, idle and how smooth my power band is now. you will get the best bang for your buck if you get your car dyno tuned, but if you are unwilling to do that do to cost or unavailability in your area you could try AED or Lund. I personally don't have any experience with them but I have heard good things about them.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just bought an SCT tunner from AM (BAMA). Does anyone who says bama turns are slower in the 1/4 have proof? Do you have a few runs with Bama then with your better tune? From my understanding Bama keeps there tunes safe therefor yes you will see a slight loss in power but to call it slow thats a bold statement. Whats SLOW to you guys? .010,.030 differents in E/T.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
I just bought an SCT tunner from AM (BAMA). Does anyone who says bama turns are in fact slower in the 1/4 have proof? Do you have a few runs with Bama then with your better tune? From my understanding Bama keeps your car safe therefor yes you will see a slight loss but to call it slow its a bold statement. Whats SLOW to you guys who have had both tunes? .010,.030 differents in E/T.
Safe??? Lmfao
Hahahhahabahhaha
Funny bud
Bama wright's some of the worst, tunes and lean *** tunes out there

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Im looking for the proof thats all. I know nothing about the tunes so i need supporting facts. I had a "can" tune on my lightning and when i got it dyno tuned it wasnt to much different like everyone was saying. Swanson performance tuned my lightning. Spent the 400$ and drove off and was like uuuuuuummmm cool. I wasent like OMG this is a different beast. So proof is what im looking for. Anyone with lund is going to say its the best etc etc. as far as i know my Borla ATAK is the best because its what i have. PROOF!!!!!! i WANT IT, WE WANT IT. its all anyone really wants.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im looking for the proof thats all. I know nothing about the tunes so i need supporting facts. I had a "can" tune on my lightning and when i got it dyno tuned it wasnt to much different like everyone was saying. Swanson performance tuned my lightning. Spent the 400$ and drove off and was like uuuuuuummmm cool. I wasent like OMG this is a different beast. So proof is what im looking for. Anyone with lund is going to say its the best etc etc. as far as i know my Borla ATAK is the best because its what i have. PROOF!!!!!! i WANT IT, WE WANT IT. its all anyone really wants.
I have a full blown dyno tune, built motor nitrous coyote. my car is a roll car,
Back when it was stock I tried bama, breenspeed, and lund,
Bama is a bunch of dumb dumbs they do not know there way around a 5.0 what so ever.
The tune was lean as can be

Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just bought an SCT tunner from AM (BAMA). Does anyone who says bama turns are in fact slower in the 1/4 have proof? Do you have a few runs with Bama then with your better tune? From my understanding Bama keeps your car safe therefor yes you will see a slight loss but to call it slow its a bold statement. Whats SLOW to you guys who have had both tunes? .010,.030 differents in E/T.
I have proof that my BAMA and Steeda Tune for the Steeda CAI on an otherwise stock 2012 GT Auto was slower in the 1/4 mile -vs- a plain 91P BAMA Tune for the stock airbox by .20 seconds and 2mph. This reinforced my dislike for CAI's.

My previous experience is why on my 2014 GT Auto, I decided to get the Ford Racing Tune with GT500 axlebacks and K/N filter, as I have no other future mods planned for the engine. I'm also happy to report that my fuel mileage increased by 2 mpg, something neither the BAMA or Steeda Tune provided in my 2012.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok well im going to pat myself on the back for wasting $400 on a SCT BAMA "dumb dumb" tune. I wouldn't think they are the best just due to the hundreds of thousands of tunes that fly out of there shop but to consider them "unsafe, slow" seems crazy do to the hundred of thousands of tunes flying out of there shop. seems like they wouldn't be as big as they are if they sucked as bad as you say. Then again McDonalds sales dog s%$ and people eat it up.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I have a full blown dyno tune, built motor nitrous coyote. my car is a roll car,
Back when it was stock I tried bama, breenspeed, and lund,
Bama is a bunch of dumb dumbs they do not know there way around a 5.0 what so ever.
The tune was lean as can be

I was shocked how lean my car was with the bama tune. safe tune my ***. thank god i got my car dyno tuned with nitrous. i have a feeling if i used bama with my nitrous that tune would have blew my engine.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok well im going to pat myself on the back for wasting $400 on a SCT BAMA "dumb dumb" tune. I wouldn't think they are the best just due to the hundreds of thousands of tunes that fly out of there shop but to consider them "unsafe, slow" seems crazy do to the hundred of thousands of tunes flying out of there shop. seems like they wouldn't be as big as they are if they sucked as bad as you say. Then again McDonalds sales dog s%$ and people eat it up.
Well bring your bama car out and put it up against a real tubed car and watch yourself get your car drug down the street

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

*tuned

Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Its not a BAMA car yet. But just because you said it was junk im going to just give it away. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Maybe all the good i read about them was just actors getting paid. Searching for the real deal as we speak. Anyone want an SCT for free just PM me but be advised its a dumb dumb tune.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Don't listen to people who have experience.
Do as you wish bud

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406170531564.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	162119  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to get rid of the tunner itself either bud. Just try a different tune

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My Bama tune was 12.6 afr at wot what's so lean about that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
My Bama tune was 12.6 afr at wot what's so lean about that?

then you were fortunate, my 91R tune was at 14 AFR and way down on power.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oh damn. What's the afr ppl are having best results with safely? I'd guess 13.0 that's what my last car was dyno tuned to.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
Oh damn. What's the afr ppl are having best results with safely? I'd guess 13.0 that's what my last car was dyno tuned to.

i believe anywhere from 12-12.5 AFR you are doing pretty good(anybody correct me if i'm wrong). my car is running 12.4 AFR throughout the power band now. i believe 13 at wide open throttle you are within the acceptable range. again anybody correct me if i'm wrong on that.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I'll start out by saying, I'm not tuned by Bama. now that, that's out of the way, lol come on man really? can you have that much hate towards Bama? it seems petty quite honestly, are they as good as someone like AED, Revolution, etc. etc? no they aren't, no they don't tune the cam timing, or mess with the torque management, but you sound silly saying they don't have fast cars running around with their tunes smh
Yes I sound silly just like the rest of the guys in this thread as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post
Grabber Blue5.0, I wasn't aware that the manual cars don't have the option to turn off torque management. How much of a negative effect does this have? Is turing off the TC and Adv. Trac the only option?
A good tuner can turn it off but it's something they've never been able to figure out. It makes a big difference especially at the track.
Quote:
Quote:
Its not a BAMA car yet. But just because you said it was junk im going to just give it away. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Maybe all the good i read about them was just actors getting paid. Searching for the real deal as we speak. Anyone want an SCT for free just PM me but be advised its a dumb dumb tune.
Don't get all butt hurt. If you're happy then that's all that counts. But someday you'll want more and will move on like many others have.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #26
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clink View Post
What strip you going to for the 1/4?
It's at the top of the time slips he attached in the post before yours.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I sound silly just like the rest of the guys in this thread as well..
lol it's the fact that you and one other guy (real know it all type, I don't need to mention his screen name) seem to have an axe to grind, and it's painfully obvious lol

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

to the point of tunes. surely someone did three runs on a BAMA tune. then in the same day switched to Steeda or MPT or Lund and did 3 runs. please past there results. All this other stuff is gibberish. same mod. same day lets see. i would be willing to do if any company wants to test. but i don't see anyone jumping at the chance or any facts here?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My automatic with bama 93r tune only ran 12.60s@113 mph da around 300'. I thought it wasn't bad. Not the greatest but not bad for a safe tune. It ran 12.90s without the tune in similar air.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

My automatic with bama 93r tune only ran 12.60s@113 mph da around 300'. I thought it wasn't bad.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
It's at the top of the time slips he attached in the post before yours.

Was asking OP as he's in Florida but thx tho
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so now we are getting someone with some #s. Stock 12.9 - - Bama 12.60. So he dropped 3 tenths. What are other email tune gaining?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post
Here are my runs with the Bama tunes on M/T ET Streets. The first two are on motor and the last was with a 100 shot. Additional mods are: Full Bassani exhaust, aluminum d/s, Barton 2 post bracket, Whiteline insert, adj. UCA, billet LCA, front sway bar and end links removed, Strano adj. rear sway bar, Airaid CAI, and bigs and littles. Needless to say I expected much better, especially on the bottle.
Yeah no kidding, that is terrible for a full exhaust car on the n/a passes. I'm not an unusual case but, you can see in sig I'm over 115 on full factory exhaust with GT500s, factory airbox, full weight premium...with torque management full on. Most full exhaust cars I see are trapping high teens.

My 91 octane canned tune with a warranty seems to be doing better than most Bama stuff I see, even their 93R.

The super weak nitrous hit suggests a serious problem with nitrous delivery or the tune.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Who did the nitrous tune? What shot? How much timing was pulled?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
OK, I am getting my suspension done Friday and thinking of heading to local strip for first time over the weekend. There is a 1/4 mile 2 hours away and an 1/8 mile 20 minutes away so not sure which I will do. My power mods are below and I am adding Eibach Pro Damper shocks/ struts, Sportline springs, BMR adj. panhard, BMR adj. UCA and BMR LCA installed. Here are my three questions?

1. Should I run BAMA race 93, Hybrid 93 or street 93. Would it depend on 1/4 or 1/8 mile?

2. Based on what I have done what would be a good time for each to expect?

3. Any advice for new strip guy?
Awesome! You're going to have a blast. The track is a lot of fun! I go at least once a month, usually more!

1. I would run the Bama 93 Race tune. That will net the largest gains and will be perfect for drag racing!

2. You should definitely be low 12's-high 11's if you can get off the line! A radial would be key for your 60ft time. If you're just running street tires you may have some spinning issues.

3. Just remember to have fun! You're going to be hooked after your first pass. I remember not wanting to leave! Next mod I would recommend a set of Race Stars.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions at all.

-Dan

Quote:
I've never seen a Bama tuned car run a good time except their shop cars so run whatever toots your fancy because it won't matter. One reason is because you run a manual they don't have the ability to turn off torque management. Something I'm sure you didn't know.

Don't expect anything more than a mid 12.xx pass depending on what tires you're running.
The above statement is not true. Yes, all of our shop cars have went pretty fast for their modifications. We've been 10's with a few different shop cars and 11's with just about all of them. They're obviously all tuned by Bama.

However, there is a ton of really happy customers out there that are running fast times. I've seen countless 11-Second time slips out of a Bama tuned 11+ Coyote. I personally ran 11.87@119 (along with countless 11.9 passes) with bolt-ons and a Bama tune in my manual 2011 GT (Stock clutch and trans).

Hope this is clears things up.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Dan but if you think a 11.87 pass is fast you're sorely mistaken.

Hope this clears things up.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT