What's the deal with the cold air intakes? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Hi mikeygaga

It does look good under the hood. The standard air cleaner has a silencer built into it but with some effert can be removed to sound a little better. Bucko has done this on his V6. But nothing looks better then a Good CAI when you pop the hood. Yours looks great.
Ronnie
hmmm interesting.. where is the silencer located and how does one remove it
youoweme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just buy an intake. Why wouldn't you? There are cold air units, sealed units, open units etc etc. There are enough choices out there to satisfy your needs. If it only gives little HP gains so what!!! it looks better, it sounds better and you reuse your filter so you never buy filters anymore.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Tune and intake my best 40hp mod

2014 Black 5.0 - Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Bassani Axle backs
BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Thanks alot ronnie.. Yours looks great also. I really like the engine cover you have, not something you see too often on the v6's
That's cause the word isn't out too much on them to the SixGuners. As soon as I saw one on a V6 I got one on my past V6 in the time it took UPS to deliver. I think it was Ronnie's I saw first !

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NacsMXer View Post
Plus no matter what you do, the oiled/pleated cotton gauze filters allow fine dirt to pass through. I used to run a K&N on my racing ATV back in the day and it was insane how much fine dust it passed into the intake tube. I switched to foam filters and the problem went away. OEM paper filters and dry filters don't seem to have this issue.
Do you mean the Red Oil Foam ATV filters? Yes those worked better on my ATV then others. I am not sure a Red Oil foam filter would work on a car's MAF setup , the huge oil would mess up the MAF.

Are we sure K&N or lets say I like aFe filters let fine dirt in car engines? If so we have an expose' on the market then?

My aFe filter is inside the Stock Air Box, supposed to flow better than the K&N filter for the stock airbox some say produces less airflow than the stock filter unit.

http://tinyurl.com/pypgfae
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The key for power is the tune, however the proper CAI allows for more power.

A "no tune required" CAI is basically a tube with the same size ID as the factory MAF, so that no calibration is needed, with an open filter. Since the MAF size is still stock, any additional air that may happen to come through this new "free flowing" intake can be accounted for and the proper fuel will be added.

Now i dont think anyone is pegging a stock MAF all motor BUT a larger diameter CAI that does require a tune does have the potential to pull in more air, and thus, more power. So, while its true that most of the gains come from the tune, the fact that the CAI has increased your flow potential compounds the gains with the tune.

That being said, the main reason i would keep the stock intake over an aftermarket unit is that plastic does not heatsoak as readily as metal. Before my Cobrajet set up i had an airraid intake and it was never really hot to the touch... My 5" rev auto however does get pretty toasty. By itself it's probably not worth much, but like all other mods, the more you have, the more difference it will make.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
LA has humidity? lol news to me. guess you're being sarcastic?

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Don't be one of those guys who reads LA as Los Angeles, haha... LA = Louisiana
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
They suck most of their air from where the stock filter does. They are open for looks only. Go with a K&N CAI, it is covered.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

If I understand correctly, you are guys aren't getting it. On stock cars yes CAI's don't add much power (the tune being where the power comes from). However, as you add more power via whatever way (i.e. FI), the stock CAI becomes a bottleneck and having an open element filter that draws from the OEM grille location and fender area allows for more airflow over the stock box.

Look at SVT's GT500 open element filter I posted on page one and the link below to the Ford Racing Cobra Jet CAI. They're similar to aftermarket CAI's. I don't know the numbers but I'm trusting Ford's mechanical knowledge and decision making with the factory induction systems.

Ford Racing Mustang Cobra Jet Manifold Cold Air Intake M-9603-M50CJ (11-14 GT, 12-13 Boss) - Free Shipping
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I don't believe you are correct. CAIs are open for looks only, not to suck in extra air.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

What's the deal with the cold air intakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
I don't believe you are correct. CAIs are open for looks only, not to suck in extra air.
I believe his msg meant to say CAI are necessary when you do FI or even the CJ manifold cuz the increased air flow due to FI or revving your motor to 8k rpm would make the stock square filter not free flow enough.

For stock yes more or less an open CAI is purely for looks and sound.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I believe his msg meant to say CAI are necessary when you do FI or even the CJ manifold cuz the increased air flow due to FI or revving your motor to 8k rpm would make the stock square filter not free flow enough.

For stock yes more or less an open CAI is purely for looks and sound.
Yes this is my point.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Yes this is my point.
You're right lol. I didn't see the "stock" comment.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just bought mine and it already had an Airaid CAI on it. I wish I would have been able to tell the difference between stock and CAI. I also should have tried to get the stock unit.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The problem with most of the open intake fans is any gains shown by the intake were only due to the hood being OPEN on the dyno test. I guarantee if the hood was down the gains would be negligible. 5-10 tops with tune. LOL. Open intakes work best for FI setups.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

There is no way a panel filter flows as good as a conical filter, there's just more surface area to pull air from. Now the trick as some have stated, is to seal the filter to only pull air from the opening in the in the grill. I have a JLT and it pulls air from the same place as the stock box and gives you a larger conical filter.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post
There is no way a panel filter flows as good as a conical filter, there's just more surface area to pull air from. Now the trick as some have stated, is to seal the filter to only pull air from the opening in the in the grill. I have a JLT and it pulls air from the same place as the stock box and gives you a larger conical filter.

Same with K&N. My K&N CAI has a sealed box and pulls air from the same place as the stock unit.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Wink

Quote:
LOL. The stock air box flows plenty for N/A duty mate. And no, the JLT does not include the stock grill area intake into there CAI setup. So that high flow conical filter just sucks more hot air.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
In an ideal world your right a panel filter won't flow as well as a conical filter. The issue is for a 'stock' car the car can only pull in so much air. So unless it's been heavily modified the stock air box will not hinder performance. On a stock car you can take the filter off completely and its not going to pull in anymore air then with the stock unit/filter.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

I have a drop in K&N panel filter in my stock air box....seems to work just fine on my non-tuned GT.

Seems a CAI only works well with a corresponding tune...that seems logical to me.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Actually a drop in k&n hurts performance, Shaun from Aed Was ONE Of THE First To prove This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Actually a drop in k&n hurts performance, Shaun from Aed Was ONE Of THE First To prove This
Yep.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake