What's the deal with the cold air intakes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What's the deal with the cold air intakes?

I was looking to get a new intake and I am wondering how these nice air filters with tuners are "cold air" intakes when the filter is open to the hot air from the engine. Intake

On my stock '14 GT, my filter sucks air from the front of the car and is completed covered under the hood. But these air filters on American Muscle have the air filter exposed to the hot air in the engine compartment.

I also have the vents on my hood which would pour water onto these filters.

Am I missing something here?
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

WAI -warm air intake- or HAI -hot air intake- lol I ran an airaid for about a month before ditching it for the stock intake box, on a hot summer day, you could feel the power loss

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah spend your money on something else.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
You know I just got a 2014 GT and was looking at mods. Saw the CAI and thought to myself isn't that defeating the purpose? Guess I'm not alone.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Purpose for CAI:
1.) Looks
2.) Sound
3.) Forced Induction when the stock square filter won't flow enough air

If you're interested in 1, 2, or all of the above then CAI is for you.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
http://m.autoanything.com/air-intake...ntakes-do.aspx

4.6, K&N CAI tuned, torque bar, SLP Exhaust
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Airaid and Steeda's CAI's for 2010+ utilize the factory air induction from the grille + open cone filter. I believe the 'box' the CAI's come with seals against the hood and inner-engine bay (to block the hot air) and draw cold air from the fender. I think.

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I found this video from another forum:

Around 4:40 they start talking about air intake. Guess I am not "upgrading" lol
A tune will void the warranty on my brand new GT so I am not doing that right now..
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies.
I guess those fancy "cold air intakes" are for the kids that want that cool look under the cool. Not sure how people do not realize these $400+ air filters are pulling air from the engine compartment...

I was looking at the seal that I heard some people mention. The air box and hood definitely do not form a seal to keep the hot engine air out. Just by looking at my '14 GT, there is no way... It would also defeat the purpose of having that massive air intake if the air is still only be sucked from the front slot.

So I do still need to replacement air filter, are these any good? K&N Link
Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
They told me that's not worth it either

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
From what I have heard the factory air box is more than good enough on the new gt

05 Gt Premium Performance White
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

Everything you need to know about CAIs.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What I don't get is the V6 side is all about Cai

Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Take a look at the AEM intake for our cars. That's what I have and it is a sealed unit just like the stock unit but looks better and comes with a better filter that does not require oil and still made by K&N.
here is mine
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good

Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Modern computer systems are able to compensate for the difference in temperature such that outside air doesn't matter at all. Back in the 80s, yes, it was a noticeable effect on some cars, and especially on cars that had turbos.

It doesn't matter how much power you have so much as how you deliver it. Short of a turbo or supercharger, it's all about the drivetrain and tires/suspension.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Modern computer systems are able to compensate for the difference in temperature such that outside air doesn't matter at all. Back in the 80s, yes, it was a noticeable effect on some cars, and especially on cars that had turbos.

It doesn't matter how much power you have so much as how you deliver it. Short of a turbo or supercharger, it's all about the drivetrain and tires/suspension.
no way around it man, higher intake air temperatures kill power, the ecm can not do anything to compensate for higher IAT's to add power, they are not good on a street driven car period

Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Its hard to spend 300+ dollars on "8 horse power" but i wanted a better looking intake and i wanted it sealed because after reading about the CAI's some guys are not gaining anything over stock with the open style. But in the end it looks better and i will never need a filter. Also the AEM has a filter meter gauge on it that tells you when you need to clean the filter. kinda cool looking under the hood in my opinon.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Just for reference, I pulled up a photo of a stock 2013 GT500 engine bay. As you can see, it features an open cone filter with a hood-sealing heat shield like I mentioned earlier. It even says "SVT" on the assembly above the filter. This is factory design.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Just for reference, I pulled up a photo of a stock 2013 GT500 engine bay. As you can see, it features an open cone filter with a hood-sealing heat shield like I mentioned earlier. It even says "SVT" on the assembly above the filter. This is factory design.

Valid point

Old 07-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The stock cars have an excellent design and except for high floe demands, it cannot be beat. However, most older engines benefitted from intake improvements. Now most just buy for looks and sound. I studied the pros and cons before just replacing the element in mine with a dry high flow drop in unit. You can get con units that does it all, but they are not cheap.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

so... no one wants to spend 300$ for 10HP gain.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgolden30 View Post
so... no one wants to spend 300$ for 10HP gain.

$300 for 10hp gains yes but you won't get that from an intake alone.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I really wish a shop would do 4 dyno pulls the same day in the below scenarios so that you could actually see the gains of a CAI. My gut tells me all of these crazy gains with a CAI and tune are mainly from the tune.

1. Stock airbox stock tune
2. Aftermarket intake stock tune
3. Stock airbox aftermarket tune
4. Aftermarket intake aftermarket tune
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No on a dyno but testing was done at the track with a well named CAI and the stock air box. Same day testing. The stock air box was the clear cut winner.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Eye Candy when you pop the hood

On a V6 3.7 it also sounds great.
*********************************WHAT????????*************************************
An AirAid cold air intake.
I'm sure it does not flow more air then the stock air box. But it does bring in cold air through the grill area and IS sealed against the hood to eliminate air from around the engine as well as dirt.
A CAI is not worth buying if you think it will make your car faster but It sure DO make a nice sound when full throttle.
It also looks great when you pop the hood open.

I do know one thing for sure. It took the slight lag out of my throttle response when I did install my AirAid CAI. Very noticeable with an automatic transmission.
Expensive """YES""" Worth it???? Only if you want it !!!
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I bought my steeda intake before I did any research on the subject. Although I was pretty dissapointed to later learn i wouldn't see much of a difference performance wise, I'm still glad I got it because it really boosted cabin noise and looks cool as **** under the hood.

(I now have the rubber lining on around the edge of the cai to seal it up under the hood)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It sure does look good

Hi mikeygaga

It does look good under the hood. The standard air cleaner has a silencer built into it but with some effert can be removed to sound a little better. Bucko has done this on his V6. But nothing looks better then a Good CAI when you pop the hood. Yours looks great.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Thanks alot ronnie.. Yours looks great also. I really like the engine cover you have, not something you see too often on the v6's
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Had a CAI intake on my previous F-150 as well as a K&N and S&B open style filter when I installed a Procharger kit on it. Even with the supercharger kit I did not like the open filter element sucking in hot air from under the hood. The IAT sensor definitely pulls timing and decreases engine power.

Plus no matter what you do, the oiled/pleated cotton gauze filters allow fine dirt to pass through. I used to run a K&N on my racing ATV back in the day and it was insane how much fine dust it passed into the intake tube. I switched to foam filters and the problem went away. OEM paper filters and dry filters don't seem to have this issue.

For my 2014 GT i'm leaving the factory sealed cold air setup. It doesn't look as nice, but I don't think there is much to improve upon.
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Here is an article on engine wear from desert sand/fine particles.
http://www.pceo.com/StudyinSandArticle.pdf

It depends where you live, I guess. In a dusty or high pollution environment, a high flow filter will do a lot of damage to your engine over time compared to a filter that can handle smaller particles.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking...r-t180100.html
Here is an actual test. In reality, you want as fine a filter as possible. Given the insanity over oil sludge lately, and the desire to have engines last hundreds of thousands of miles. 50 years ago, 100K miles was seen as way past the life of any normal engine. Now, if you made a car with an engine that only lasted 100K miles, you'd be pummeled in the press as worthless and terrible. So manufacturers have one goal with air filters - clean as much as possible while delivering advertized power.

Most air filters are close to HEPA quality these days. That said, the OEM filters are actually slightly better quality overall than the aftermarket ones in most cases.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently here in LA, I've heard you never have to replace these oiled filters in the car's lifetime due to the consistent high humidity every day. Pretty funny IMO.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Apparently here in LA, I've heard you never have to replace these oiled filters in the car's lifetime due to the consistent high humidity every day. Pretty funny IMO.
LA has humidity? lol news to me. guess you're being sarcastic?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I really wish a shop would do 4 dyno pulls the same day in the below scenarios so that you could actually see the gains of a CAI. My gut tells me all of these crazy gains with a CAI and tune are mainly from the tune.

There's a video on You tube that's has all that and the gains are good on the cold air intake

2014 Black 5.0 - Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Bassani Axle backs
BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

There's a video on You tube that's has all that and the gains are good on the cold air intake

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedStang View Post

http://youtu.be/vZjy6KqQ0Hw

BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake