2014 GT Track Pack *Possible Ticking Issue* Looking for Feedback, THANKS! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lightbulb 2014 GT Track Pack *Possible Ticking Issue* Looking for Feedback, THANKS!

Hello everyone I am new to the Mustang world coming from driving Flat 4 Subaru’s with Boxer motors for the past 7 years let’s just say the Coyote motor is a different realm for me... I recently (3weeks ago) purchased a 2014 GT Premium w/ Track Pack as a D/D, ( my WRX is still with me but not street able) Stang has 6600miles (bought with 5800 I have really been enjoying the comfort, short gears and sliding ) I noticed the other day when I pulled into my garage a chatter.. I popped the hood and began to investigate; I have done some minimal research but have decided to run it by the dealer next weekend to have them check it out but would also like some true and honest opinions as you guys could offer in reference to this... I am a bit paranoid as I just spent a pretty penny on this baby and I have already fallen in love with her, just want to make sure I’m going to the dealer well informed with some outside opinions as I have never had a great amount of luck with ANY dealers in my area. Vehicle had an Oil Change done before I left the dealer that day at 5800 miles, and after all of the 5w-50 Motorcraft garbage I have read I am thinking of doing an oil change after the dealer next weekend to either a Redline 5w50 or switch to Amsoil 10w40 input on that as well in proximate cause to the tick would be helpful as well...

(Videos taken with my IPhone sorry for crappy quality and crazy angles as I was holding the phone, but the sound is still rather clear)

Here are some videos of my motor running
1st video -warm engine under minimal load

2nd video- AC on and listen to chatter diff between 38sec mark and 40sec mark

3rd video- No AC on Radiator Fan kicked on again on and off noise at 12sec-13sec time mark

Any info or feedback greatly appreciated and once again sorry to beat the dead horse..I know this is an ongoing issue, and I did the research before making my purchase hoping to never run into this issue and didn’t hear it at the dealer the day of purchase. Once again I am just being uber paranoid right now any info or feedback once again is much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!
AllBlack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a 13 GT and my engine sounds exactly like that. I've read up on some ticks and even on the potential that it was a lifter issue. But there's nothing wrong with it.

Mia now has 37k miles and has been tuned since 993 miles. It seems to just be the normal sound of the valve train.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
My car also sounds the same and has since I bought it new with 7 miles. I'm at 15k now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate the feedback very much I may or may not still take it by the dealer considering what you guys have told me I think it may be one of those scenarios where they will just tell me it's normal as well.

Thanks again definitely has eased my mind hearing back from the community I already have quite the list in mind as far as mods go 😬

Did anyone have any input on the oil subject matter I went over the mappings and spreadsheets on the svtperformance forums and have come to the conclusion that motor craft is garbage and the Amsoil / royal purple hps 10w30/40 is the ticket anyone made the transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

2014 GT Track Pack *Possible Ticking Issue* Looking for Feedback, THANKS!

My '13 did this and was really only noticeable when pulling in the garage or going through a drive thru up against a wall. Car drove like a champ had 27k miles when I got rid of it.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It was just all the different videos with verdicts of cyl #2 bearings going and people having to doth with ford for new motors for new cars when shavings were being found in the oil pan and filter ...just had me worried another reason why I will be doing the oil change aside from just getting the motor craft bull**** out I wanna cut open the oil filter and go through it for any shavings.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My tick was louder and slower than yours. However, your ticking seemed loudest right over #5,6 cyl where they are replacing my lifters. Does it get worse if you gently tap the throttle? Most people are getting it just above idle, 1500 or so. I'm concerned with yours being higher frequency. Is it actually coming on / off with the fan? It's hard to tell on video, but yours isn't the same intermittent igniter tick many of us have had. It gets louder than any engine or exhaust sound when going thru a drive thru. I think yours is quieter?
My car isn't track pack, so I'm 5w20. I convinced the dealer to do 5w30, and the ticking got louder. These cars like thin oil I guess (if the internals are the same between track pack and non).
Nice clean car!

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for the feedback it's great to know we have an active, friendly and knowledgeable community amongst mustang owners

Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I run mobile one 5w30 since 900 miles. No issues at all. The only difference to any of the coyote motors is in the boss. Personally, for spirited driving, I feel 20 weight is too light.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
carlspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
My dog got a tick once, thing was huge. I plucked it out and it bled like hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have this tick too. Just got oil changed at dealer Thursday for the 2nd time. When I got home the tick was terrible. I have had this randomly since I got the car last September. This was the 2nd oil change at 7500 miles. I don't want to use MC but since I'm having trouble I want to keep getting the oil done at the dealer. I'm just sick of hearing knocking and ticking on a new engine. There's no way this should be going on. I need a good tech or manager on mine. I gotta take take this in tomorrow.

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack14GT View Post
Hello everyone I am new to the Mustang world coming from driving Flat 4 Subaru’s with Boxer motors for the past 7 years let’s just say the Coyote motor is a different realm for me... I recently (3weeks ago) purchased a 2014 GT Premium w/ Track Pack as a D/D, ( my WRX is still with me but not street able) Stang has 6600miles (bought with 5800 I have really been enjoying the comfort, short gears and sliding ) I noticed the other day when I pulled into my garage a chatter.. I popped the hood and began to investigate; I have done some minimal research but have decided to run it by the dealer next weekend to have them check it out but would also like some true and honest opinions as you guys could offer in reference to this... I am a bit paranoid as I just spent a pretty penny on this baby and I have already fallen in love with her, just want to make sure I’m going to the dealer well informed with some outside opinions as I have never had a great amount of luck with ANY dealers in my area. Vehicle had an Oil Change done before I left the dealer that day at 5800 miles, and after all of the 5w-50 Motorcraft garbage I have read I am thinking of doing an oil change after the dealer next weekend to either a Redline 5w50 or switch to Amsoil 10w40 input on that as well in proximate cause to the tick would be helpful as well...

(Videos taken with my IPhone sorry for crappy quality and crazy angles as I was holding the phone, but the sound is still rather clear)

Here are some videos of my motor running
1st video -warm engine under minimal load

2nd video- AC on and listen to chatter diff between 38sec mark and 40sec mark

3rd video- No AC on Radiator Fan kicked on again on and off noise at 12sec-13sec time mark

Any info or feedback greatly appreciated and once again sorry to beat the dead horse..I know this is an ongoing issue, and I did the research before making my purchase hoping to never run into this issue and didn’t hear it at the dealer the day of purchase. Once again I am just being uber paranoid right now any info or feedback once again is much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!
Thats a weird noise mine does not do that
WARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I believe there is another thread with this same issue....I've had my car for about two weeks and have heard this ticking two or three times now. I know that people with more knowledge than me, say it's normal. But, can it be normal?
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

She's going to the dealer today after work to see the master tech.. I'll keep everyone posted!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

To no surprise even with video proof in hand and the service guys acknowledging the noise in the video..I was told they are too busy at my dealer and I could not leave the car with them...as well as the service guys saying that,

"We didn't hear anything strange..."
"But you just acknowledge it and said you did on my video..."

I just got off the phone with FMC corporate and submitted my claim for the issue, this way it is properly documented incase things get worse and they want to point the finger at me...
I did my due diligence and I'm thus far disappointed with how I have been treated even though the FMC rep was very very nice.
I will keep everyone posted with what happens...
Also I just bought this vehicle 3 weeks ago, and I am now pondering the thought of taking it back before I get stuck with what could possibly turn out to be a much bigger issue.. Any input fellas?
I appreciate your time and knowledge everyone!
Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Too busy to look at a 3 week old car with the potential of motor issues is pretty bad. You haven't even made a payment yet and who wants a brand new car sitting for weeks while it's being diagnosed.

Keep on Corp and let us know how it goes man, sorry for your pain.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 2012 that did the same thing when I first got it and hasn't done it since, or at least I haven't noticed. I personally just think these engines are extremely noisy due to the design which makes the internal chatter magnified. I had a mechanic tell me the lifters in these cars are noisier than most . Probably bs but the car runs strong so I don't know what else to do.

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping this issue can get resolved without any hesitation as it is clearly there... I would really love to hear from a Ford Motor Company Representative on the forums here, just to follow along with the issue if there are any out there scrolling along threads

Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for saving me $50

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
My dog got a tick once, thing was huge. I plucked it out and it bled like hell.

Do you ever actually contribute useful information to threads?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for saving me $50

again, any useful information? Doesn't look like it?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Let's stay on topic please.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let's stay on topic please.

If you would actually contribute useful information, we would. Instead of your random comments.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

$50 isn't useful to you?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Tell you what, from what I've seen here, I'll up my ante to $75, and bet you $25 that nobody can go a full day on this site without saying "issue". The replacement word must be "conundrum", all day.

I will make this offer stand for 30 days from today.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tell you what, from what I've seen here, I'll up my ante to $75, and bet you $25 that nobody can go a full day on this site without saying "issue". The replacement word must be "conundrum", all day.

I will make this offer stand for 30 days from today.

Sooo who gets the $25 if someone says the "i" word?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry "Compstall" that my vehicle is having issues and I came to a forum looking for feedback and information...
I thought that's what's forums were for.. The Discussion of topics pertaining to the dedicated subject of the forum, "Mustangs"...
Essentially if you don't have any positive or useful feedback for me that's fine, but will you leave the thread to individuals who do wish to share input on the "related" subject matter.
Thank you

Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack14GT View Post
Sorry "Compstall" that my vehicle is having issues and I came to a forum looking for feedback and information...
I thought that's what's forums were for.. The Discussion of topics pertaining to the dedicated subject of the forum, "Mustangs"...
Essentially if you don't have any positive or useful feedback for me that's fine, but will you leave the thread to individuals who do wish to share input on the "related" subject matter.
Thank you

He's the resident troll I guess. I rarely see him actually contribute to any threads.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

What's not positive about $75 extra dollars in your pocket?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Dude please stop posting on this thread. You should keep your $75 and put it towards a bill or savings...

Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm putting it towards the anti-"issue" bill

Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, AllBlack....got the same sound coming from my 2013 GT that I bought used around two weeks ago. Of course, I test drove the car for at least an hour and NEVER heard the sound.

Let us know how it goes. I've some mileage left until my powertrain warranty expires, until then I'll drive my son's clapped out Cobalt, since he is still in boot camp.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Will do hct, I took mine to my mechanic that services my other two vehicles(outside of routine maintenance) today after I left the office and considering he only "listened" to it and did not tear it down his response was, it definitely "sounds" like a "bad lifter"... She is going to the dealer tomm after work and staying until they figure it out, & not my local dealer as they were not willing to even look at the vehicle...but a dealer an hour away from me who actually cares to resolve the issue.
I'll keep you posted on everything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT