Second series of upgrades recommendations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Second series of upgrades recommendations

Hello,

I currently have 2011 Mustang GT Automatic. I purchased it used from an older guy whose wife said it was too low and too loud.

Here is a list of current upgrades:
Roush Cold Air Intake
Roush Suspension
Magnaflow X-pipe and Competition Catback Exhuast

He did have an SCT-3015 tune, but took it out.

I have been doing some reading, and I believe it will be best to put the tune back in since I have a cold air intake.

I have no intention of taking my car to the track; I simply want a little more performance. Bang for the buck. A little more performance from light to light. So my thoughts are:

Keeping the Roush cold air intake and adding a tune. I am looking at the BAMA performance tune from American Muscle. I am also looking at the SCT X4 from Stage3 Motorsports because they are local, but currently they are not offering custom tunes.
Side question...are these the same hand held programmers? They look the same, but one shop sells it with custom tunes and the other doesn't?

A future possibility is adding the BOSS 302 intake manifold with a Steeda cold air intake that fits. Maybe perhaps 3.73 racing gears.

I think that would be as far as I would want to go price wise and performance wise. One day, when I grow up, maybe a supercharger.

Your sagely advice is welcome.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sounds like you have a nice set up to work with. Personally I'd skip the Boss manifold unless you plan on FI in the future. All gains are felt over 7k rpm and if you're not racing it you won't see that very often. Plus you will actually LOSE low end torque. I would def do the 3.73 and I would add a short shifter (Barton 2-post or MGW). This will add light to light performance and make your shifting quicker and more enjoyable. After that it's SC or Turbo time

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2013 Mustang GT Fastlane Stage 3 Race Red-Matte Black GT 500 Stripes-2.3 Whipple-20" TF Chicanes-R888's-Brembos-Slotted/Drilled-Custom Katskin interior-Suspension and other goodies...603/498 http://youtu.be/wa73L4lF3Ws
Fastlane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane13 View Post
Sounds like you have a nice set up to work with. Personally I'd skip the Boss manifold unless you plan on FI in the future. All gains are felt over 7k rpm and if you're not racing it you won't see that very often. Plus you will actually LOSE low end torque. I would def do the 3.73 and I would add a short shifter (Barton 2-post or MGW). This will add light to light performance and make your shifting quicker and more enjoyable. After that it's SC or Turbo time
I have an automatic, so the short shifter should not work. Correct? Given that I have an auto, would you still recommend the gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Second series of upgrades recommendations

Keep the 3.15 gears for the auto. If you are going with the bama tunes you can get the sct x4 tuner from them and it comes with their custom tunes for life. I just recently purchased the steeda CAI/tuner combo and the gains were awesome. Cold air intakes don't do much for these cars over the factory air box but they sound and look really nice. The tune definitely is a must for these autos! Congrats on the new car!

Sterling Grey Metallic 2012 GT
Mobile, AL
Instagram-_andrewmontgomery_
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Nobody has said anything about suspension components. A nice set of BMR lower control arms would be great as well for off the line performance. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Keep the stock gears. For a tune your best bet is either AED, VMP, Lund, or Mike Rousch. Mike Rousch is the go to guy for the automatics currently. Hypermotive is another excellent choice.

Want to really make your car fast? Do a converter. Trust me.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Road Trip!

It sounds l like everyone agrees on the necessity of the tune; although, different opinions on the one to get of course.

For the torque converter what, if anything, will I be giving up over gears? Lower gas mileage than stock, lower toque at low RPMs, etc., etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

While you may see different opinions on things you want to pay attention to the guys that have been down this road before already.

A converter will make your car faster, gears won't. Seems like a no brainer right?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
While you may see different opinions on things you want to pay attention to the guys that have been down this road before already.

A converter will make your car faster, gears won't. Seems like a no brainer right?
What would I be giving up with a converter? I assume there must be some cons. Or it is a situation of 'having my cake and eating it too'?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGeneration View Post
What would I be giving up with a converter? I assume there must be some cons. Or it is a situation of 'having my cake and eating it too'?
Gas mileage will suffer a little, nothing more. But it's important to get the right tune so you can have the converter lock up properly.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hello,

I currently have 2011 Mustang GT Automatic. I purchased it used from an older guy whose wife said it was too low and too loud.

Roush Cold Air Intake
Roush Suspension

I have been doing some reading, and I believe it will be best to put the tune back in since I have a cold air intake.

I have no intention of taking my car to the track; I simply want a little more performance. Bang for the buck. A little more performance from light to light. So my thoughts are:

Keeping the Roush cold air intake and adding a tune. I am looking at the BAMA performance tune from American Muscle. I am also looking at the SCT X4 from Stage3 Motorsports because they are local, but currently they are not offering custom tunes.
Side question...are these the same hand held programmers? They look the same, but one shop sells it with custom tunes and the other doesn't?

A future possibility is adding the BOSS 302 intake manifold with a Steeda cold air intake that fits. Maybe perhaps 3.73 racing gears.

I think that would be as far as I would want to go price wise and performance wise. One day, when I grow up, maybe a supercharger.

Welcome! It sounds like you're already on the right track here. As fastlane had said I would shoot for a set of Ford Racing's 3.73's and get enrolled in Bama's Free Tunes For Life Program to get a custom tune on there and wake the car up. One of the greatest aspects of the Free Tunes For Life Program is if you're going to have a set of Long Tubes or shoot for the Boss Manifold down the road you can simply shoot us a call or have the Tune added to your cart where we'll send you a from, it gets filled out and sent back to us and you would have the revision within 24-48 hours. Let me know if you have any questions about this or feel free to shoot me a PM I'm always here to help.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Hello,

Roush Cold Air Intake
Roush Suspension

I've heard so many bad things about BAMA's CS department and overall tunes, that if your considering them, I'd go with Steeda (safe tune, about the same power and torque as bama, steeda has also never had an engine fail with their tunes) but the best tunes are Lund, AED, and Mike Rousch (Mid Atlantic Performance)
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've heard so many bad things about BAMA's CS department and overall tunes, that if your considering them, I'd go with Steeda (safe tune, about the same power and torque as bama, steeda has also never had an engine fail with their tunes) but the best tunes are Lund, AED, and Mike Rousch (Mid Atlantic Performance)
I'm sorry to hear that you've heard a lot of negative feedback about the Bama team. However, we do appreciate your feedback and this gets sent directly to them. They're working very hard day in and day out to improve their tunes and improve as a team that will offer you the best customer service they possibly can! We tune more Mustang's than anyone else on the market so there is a better chance of seeing negative feedback.

Majority if not all of the companies you listed above had an engine failure or two when the Coyote engine first came out. We haven't had a single issue in a very long time! Anyone that reported a Cylinder #8 issue to us was taken care of, quickly. We have the Cylinder #8 warranty to show our customers that even if they were to run into an issue we would have their back and not leave them hanging.

Keep in mind - There was Cylinder #8 issues reported to Ford and replaced under warranty without a custom tune installed on the vehicle.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you've heard a lot of negative feedback about the Bama team. However, we do appreciate your feedback and this gets sent directly to them. They're working very hard day in and day out to improve their tunes and improve as a team that will offer you the best customer service they possibly can! We tune more Mustang's than anyone else on the market so there is a better chance of seeing negative feedback.

Majority if not all of the companies you listed above had an engine failure or two when the Coyote engine first came out. We haven't had a single issue in a very long time! Anyone that reported a Cylinder #8 issue to us was taken care of, quickly. We have the Cylinder #8 warranty to show our customers that even if they were to run into an issue we would have their back and not leave them hanging.

Keep in mind - There was Cylinder #8 issues reported to Ford and replaced under warranty without a custom tune installed on the vehicle.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
That is true that the engine failures have cleared, as I would expect, the coyote has been out for a while. That's the process of tuning, failures will happen, I get that. However, that's no excuse for Bama's bad Customer service.

And the other companies can do as much, or more than Bama can to a tune, while staying safely within engine parameters.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Road Trip!

I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding the tune and possible future upgrades.

A little more info may help. This is my daily driver and have no immediate plans to track the car, so I want to be careful with my first steps.

I have another coworker who recommended a local guy here in Phoenix which I will keep in mind. He also recommended the BAMA performance tune which he has currently in his 2011 5.0.

So, I am more than happy with a canned tune for the time being. Until I feel more comfortable adding and adjusting upgrades I would like to wade into the pool slowly.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding the tune and possible future upgrades.

A little more info may help. This is my daily driver and have no immediate plans to track the car, so I want to be careful with my first steps.

I have another coworker who recommended a local guy here in Phoenix which I will keep in mind. He also recommended the BAMA performance tune which he has currently in his 2011 5.0.

So, I am more than happy with a canned tune for the time being. Until I feel more comfortable adding and adjusting upgrades I would like to wade into the pool slowly.
Go Steeda for a canned tune. CS is better, near the same power, and never has had an engine failure.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on steeda tune

Mobile, AL
Old 07-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Hello,

Roush Cold Air Intake

Roush Suspension

I don't have a Coyote, But on my new edge I went from Diablo Sport to BAMA, and I've had very good luck with them over the last year and a half. I Bought the handheld tuner, Had them write the tunes, and i had the handheld preloaded with tunes at my door within a few days. Never had issues with Drivability, rough idle, or losses in power. So with your mild set of performance Mods, and what you're looking to get out of the car, I honestly would give BAMA a shot. They'll retune you for any mods you add down the line, and every time I've dealt with AmericanMuscle/BAMA, I've only gotten friendly Customer Service reps, and a solution to my problem. For your specific situation, I would recommend Bama.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Most all tuners will retune for added mods. Bama isn't the only one that does that.

Mobile, AL
Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollDat View Post
Most all tuners will retune for added mods. Bama isn't the only one that does that.

Mobile, AL

Yeah, I'm aware. Just giving him my person experience I've had with Bama. Only Stating that they'll retune for mods down the line, If he didn't know already.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Hello, I currently have 2011 Mustang GT Automatic. I purchased it used from an older guy whose wife said it was too low and too loud. Here is a list of current upgrades: Roush Cold Air Intake Roush Suspension Magnaflow X-pipe and Competition Catback Exhuast He did have an SCT-3015 tune, but took it out. I have been doing some reading, and I believe it will be best to put the tune back in since I have a cold air intake. I have no intention of taking my car to the track; I simply want a little more performance. Bang for the buck. A little more performance from light to light. So my thoughts are: Keeping the Roush cold air intake and adding a tune. I am looking at the BAMA performance tune from American Muscle. I am also looking at the SCT X4 from Stage3 Motorsports because they are local, but currently they are not offering custom tunes. Side question...are these the same hand held programmers? They look the same, but one shop sells it with custom tunes and the other doesn't? A future possibility is adding the BOSS 302 intake manifold with a Steeda cold air intake that fits. Maybe perhaps 3.73 racing gears. I think that would be as far as I would want to go price wise and performance wise. One day, when I grow up, maybe a supercharger. Your sagely advice is welcome.
Did he give u the sct tuner with the car?
Also,there is a lot of tuning companies named here..I would recommend u do ur own research on each of them & see which one u wanna go with there is TONS of info out there.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
That is true that the engine failures have cleared, as I would expect, the coyote has been out for a while. That's the process of tuning, failures will happen, I get that. However, that's no excuse for Bama's bad Customer service.

And the other companies can do as much, or more than Bama can to a tune, while staying safely within engine parameters.
I completely agree. There is no excuse for Bama offering Bad Customer Service to you guys. This is news to us. Bama is known for offering great customer service and a super quick turn around time! I'll get this feedback to the Head Bama Tuning Specialist and make sure he addresses his team.

I promise our tunes are safe within the engine parameters. It's actually been said on the forums that we're a little on the conservative side. We like to leave some extra room for safety reasons. As well as most customers are really happy with our first tune that is emailed over. However, we're willing to datalog with all customers and make sure the tune is dialed in!

Thank you for your feedback!

-Dan
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I use to hear nothing but good about bama... a year ago. Lately all I've been hearing about, as on a comparison thread on here, is their bad CS.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Did he give u the sct tuner with the car?
Also,there is a lot of tuning companies named here..I would recommend u do ur own research on each of them & see which one u wanna go with there is TONS of info out there.
No, he had the tune removed, and it was returned.

And, you are right. Everyone seems to have their own recommendation on tunes and parts. It's nice to see there are many options for upgrades, but that is also a downside too. I am getting a headache.

Quote:
Go Steeda for a canned tune. CS is better, near the same power, and never has had an engine failure.
What is CS?

From what I can gather on my own and here is I will be ok with a canned tuned from BAMA or Steeda while keeping my cold air intake from Roush. At least a good first step.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
No, he had the tune removed, and it was returned.

And, you are right. Everyone seems to have their own recommendation on tunes and parts. It's nice to see there are many options for upgrades, but that is also a downside too. I am getting a headache.

What is CS?

From what I can gather on my own and here is I will be ok with a canned tuned from BAMA or Steeda while keeping my cold air intake from Roush. At least a good first step.

CS = Customer Service

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Customer service.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
No, he had the tune removed, and it was returned. And, you are right. Everyone seems to have their own recommendation on tunes and parts. It's nice to see there are many options for upgrades, but that is also a downside too. I am getting a headache. What is CS? From what I can gather on my own and here is I will be ok with a canned tuned from BAMA or Steeda while keeping my cold air intake from Roush. At least a good first step.
Take everyone's recommendations & do ur own homework look around different forums & articles. Odds are lots of people have done the mods or used different tuning companies & there's TONS of feedback out there!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #28
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
You'll definitely be okay with our Tune. It is not actually a canned tune. Our tunes are written and built on the dyno and will be built completely custom to your Modifications and Style of driving! If it would make you feel better we can absolutely datalog with you afterwards as well to make sure the tune is dialed in.

How about this.. I'll have our head tuning specialist reach out to you directly and make sure you're in good shape. He'll be able to walk you through the process and ensure that all questions are answered! If you'd like to do this just shoot me a PM with your contact number included and I'll make this happen for you.

-Dan
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #29
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
I use to hear nothing but good about bama... a year ago. Lately all I've been hearing about, as on a comparison thread on here, is their bad CS.
Well it sounds like we have some work to do. This will 100% be addressed! Again, Thank you for your feedback. I've already told this with our head tuning specialist and he's made his team aware! You shouldn't hear about any CS problems again moving forward.

-Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT