boosted coyote question - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We added it today. We installed a smaller pulley (3.33 from a 3.60) on the supercharger so it spins faster, and gets into "boost" quicker. On one side of the intercooler, we added a TIAL wastegate valve that caps our boost at which spring we put in the valve. We have a 10lb spring, so our boost is capped off at 10psi. (The valve bleeds boost off above 10psi) What this does, it gets you into boost quicker and gets your torque curve qucker. This put our torque well over 500 tq now and we are probably making 640 ish rwhp @10psi. You DEFINITELY feel the difference with the butt dyno which is all we really care about right now. We will put her on rollers again to get some numbers on paper at some point, but not a priority. We changed the oil in the head unit and switch to a Gates green HD belt.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
We added it today. We installed a smaller pulley (3.33 from a 3.60) on the supercharger so it spins faster, and gets into "boost" quicker. On one side of the intercooler, we added a TIAL wastegate valve that caps our boost at which spring we put in the valve. We have a 10lb spring, so our boost is capped off at 10psi. (The valve bleeds boost off above 10psi) What this does, it gets you into boost quicker and gets your torque curve qucker. This put our torque well over 500 tq now and we are probably making 640 ish rwhp @10psi. You DEFINITELY feel the difference with the butt dyno which is all we really care about right now. We will put her on rollers again to get some numbers on paper at some point, but not a priority. We changed the oil in the head unit and switch to a Gates green HD belt.

Nice! How soon are you into boost now? RPM wise
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

It was early this morning when we were testing it and I looked at the gauge, but if I remember it hits about 1000 rpms sooner. When Stratton gets up today and we drive it a bit more, I will ask him as it is his daily driver.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
[QUOTE=TommyV;2058117]Well, I don't have mine yet, but it's on the way. I wanted it smog legal, safe, with lots of torque down low, and at least 600 flywheel HP. I'm not trying to make crazy HP and don't plan on racing it.

I narrowed my choices to Whipple, Magnuson, and Edelbrock. I went with the Edelbrock E-Force with a Brenspeed tune. The E-Force's design can make over 500 rwhp on a sock 5.0 at only 5 psi. It also has 15" long runners for increased low end torque. The street legal version #1588, will make over 600 fwhp with the Brenspeed tune.

It's not mainstream, and kinda ugly, but I'm not getting one for the looks. They also offer a 5/60 power train warranty if you use their tune. I paid $5,800 for the kit witch included a custom tune loaded onto a SCT.

I just bought the same kit - Edelbrock stage 1 from Brenspeed. Reason being is I talked to 4 different speed shops here in town and 3 of the 4 service/install Edlebrock, 2 of the 4 specialize in them. Also have a buddy that has one - he tears us all up at the track and is only running at 5psi.

Low psi = less stress on the motor. Ive also heard that Brenspeeds tune is far better (and safer) than the canned tune from Edelbrock...the kit is also cheaper! My goal was a safe boost for a DD, not 1 of these guys that measure their balls by how fast they do a 1/4 mile ( I would have bought a GT500 for that!). Blowing up an overly boosted engine for a paper slip and 10 secs of fun isnt reality of everyday driving...just paid 32k for my new GT! No Dukes of Hazard style roads here in Phoenix anyways.

$5500 out the door. Brenspeed also offers installation for $1400, yes its a lot, but if you drive to Texas (as I am) they put you up in a hotel at thier cost and do the installation/tune on site. the best tune is always one individualized for your car when the car is present at the shop!
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang GT....

Not to burst any bubbles/offend here but I see so many guys slapping on twin turbos, making internal engine modifications, then needing better tires, better suspension...etc etc. Sit down and add up the cost and you will be suprised at how close you are to the price of a GT500. Not only that, no matter what you do to a GT (safety) you will never quite get to that level, nor will you have any warantee to speak of when you blow up a 7k part. Ask yourself which is more important, a slip of paper saying you drive a couple of blocks really fast twice a month or having your car run till 150K miles. Normally these forums are dominated with early 20 somethings who cant see past next week, so can probably guess the answer ;o)

IMHO...building a hard core track car out of a new GT seems silly honestly, nor makes any financial sense. Making a fun a$$ car out of a DD GT with occasional tracking makes total sense!

Taking a stock engine, adding a S/C with safe boost levels and getting 600HP with insane torque apparently isnt enough!?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Mustang GT....

Not to burst any bubbles/offend here but I see so many guys slapping on twin turbos, making internal engine modifications, then needing better tires, better suspension...etc etc. Sit down and add up the cost and you will be suprised at how close you are to the price of a GT500. Not only that, no matter what you do to a GT (safety) you will never quite get to that level, nor will you have any warantee to speak of when you blow up a 7k part. Ask yourself which is more important, a slip of paper saying you drive a couple of blocks really fast twice a month or having your car run till 150K miles. Normally these forums are dominated with early 20 somethings who cant see past next week, so can probably guess the answer ;o)

IMHO...building a hard core track car out of a new GT seems silly honestly, nor makes any financial sense. Making a fun a$$ car out of a DD GT with occasional tracking makes total sense!

Taking a stock engine, adding a S/C with safe boost levels and getting 600HP with insane torque apparently isnt enough!?
+11. You sir have hit the nail, wish everybody had a thought process like yours.

Strickly speaking about myself, I have had moments when I think like a 20 year old looking to build a tire shredding 9 sec monster, and it still is a dream of mine to have 4 digit HP under my butt one day.. but that's a long way to go, and I seriously doubt if it could be used as a DD anymore.

I'm pretty sure I will be more than just satisfied with my 600whp coyote, putting out close to 560-575 torque. Ya know, things and priorities change with time.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Mustang GT....

Not to burst any bubbles/offend here but I see so many guys slapping on twin turbos, making internal engine modifications, then needing better tires, better suspension...etc etc. Sit down and add up the cost and you will be suprised at how close you are to the price of a GT500.
And you'll be surprised at how bad that measly boosted 5.0 will pull that gt500. Get a 5.0 slap a Paxton on there and tires all for 7-8k and pull gt500s all day.

Don't get me wrong I love gt500s I just can't stand comments like this.

After you get the gt500 all molded you could get a gtr. There's always is going to be something for just a couple grand more. That adds up quick....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
And you'll be surprised at how bad that measly boosted 5.0 will pull that gt500. Get a 5.0 slap a Paxton on there and tires all for 7-8k and pull gt500s all day.

After you get the gt500 all molded you could get a gtr. There's always is going to be something for just a couple grand more. That adds up quick....

Heck, forget about the GTR, you could get a C7 Z06 Corvette. I doubt they will be much more, than the GTR, if any, probably less.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post

Ha..I knew that comment would elicit some anger!

Guess I'll never understand the need to spend 15k just to drive 10 secs a few times a month, but there are those who do and love it for sure!

I still disagree, youre talking 660HP base on a GT500, slap a tune on that and there is NO GT that has a fighting chance to keep up. Sure, you can boost it to unsafe levels and risk blowing up that $40k+ car, but at some point common sense rules. 7k in repairs for a winning slip isnt worth it in my world!

Guess my point was dont try and make a GT a GT500 when you can just get a GT500 with a warantee and make better power. I tried to turn my 2014 Mustang V6 into a GT, then realized just how stupid that was. 4 months later I traded it in for a 2013 GT. Dont be like WileECoyoteGT!...most expensive "test drive" ever.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Guess I'll never understand the need to spend 15k just to drive 10 secs a few times a month, but there are those who do and love it for sure!

I still disagree, youre talking 660HP base on a GT500, slap a tune on that and there is NO GT that has a fighting chance to keep up. Sure, you can boost it to unsafe levels and risk blowing up that $40k+ car, but at some point common sense rules. 7k in repairs for a winning slip isnt worth it in my world!

Guess my point was dont try and make a GT a GT500 when you can just get a GT500 with a warantee and make better power. I tried to turn my 2014 Mustang V6 into a GT, then realized just how stupid that was. 4 months later I traded it in for a 2013 GT. Dont be like WileECoyoteGT!...most expensive "test drive" ever.
Lmao.
Come on bud, ever heard of built not bought. Love making the snakes turn around and slither back into there hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously you haven't heard of forging an engine. And haven't heard of Rapinator.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Obviously you haven't heard of forging an engine. And haven't heard of Rapinator.
Lol, I like the gt500's. But some people get more satisfaction from building something vs buying something with 660HP and can't put it down etc

Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Oh, Ive heard plenty from Rapinator!

Forged engines, new cams...better exhaust, better traction...better better better = $$$! Thats my point exactly! Youve reached stock GT500 money.

I know some guys start tearing apart their brand new cars the day they get them, but man....thats a risk!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I personally just like the more unexpected look. Nothing flashy on the outside. Look like a normal 5.0 with exhaust. I even run a MagnaFlow street catback to quiet it down a little.

I have a few buddy's with gt500's though. It's just what you like honestly.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lol, I like the gt500's. But some people get more satisfaction from building something vs buying something with 660HP and can't put it down etc

The bottle fed monster appears!

No I get it...Ive restored an old Mach1 before and spent the better part of a fortune, eventually losing money when I went to sell. Modding was created to spend money and piss off spouses!

I admitted above to modding my V6 to the point of insanity. The dealership took every mod off the car and returned it to stock so I could sell them and get back some of the money. I still kick myself today for just not buying a GT in the first place!

BTW...just plunked down $5500 on and Edelbrock S/C - 600HP and 530 lbs torque. I could have easily booted that up to a stage 3 700HP monster, but then I would have been the very nut job I was ranting about earlier...ha!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

I'm with Rap, I like the sleeper, granted, it's a GT, so people expect it to be fast. But not quite as fast as we will have it
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking about ditching my 5.0 emblems and going with GT emblems on the side. Just wish they made the "GT" style to look like the coyote 5.0 style

Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The bottle fed monster appears!

No I get it...Ive restored an old Mach1 before and spent the better part of a fortune, eventually losing money when I went to sell. Modding was created to spend money and piss off spouses!

I admitted above to modding my V6 to the point of insanity. The dealership took every mod off the car and returned it to stock so I could sell them and get back some of the money. I still kick myself today for just not buying a GT in the first place!

BTW...just plunked down $5500 on and Edelbrock S/C - 600HP and 530 lbs torque. I could have easily booted that up to a stage 3 700HP monster, but then I would have been the very nut job I was ranting about earlier...ha!
What made you go with the edelbrock blower? Vs vmp etc

It's good to be a " nut job" lol.

Either way you will like it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Probably edelbrock's warranty
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I'm going to order the emblems from late model right now. And give it a try

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

$20.32 not bad lol

Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

No anger here man. I love gt500s and honestly if I could have afforded one I would have got one no doubt.

And 660 is crank hp not wheel. There are plenty of 5.0s running everything from nitrous to twin screws making 600 rwhp very safely.

Regardless to each his own.

And I agree with "built not brought" It means more to turn "just" a 420 hp car to a 10 second car

l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

He obviously likes "bought, not built" better.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Actually I'm going to order the emblems from late model right now. And give it a try

Haha wtf. Post up some pics when they're on I gotta see this being a 2010 GT guy right here ha...

Quote:
Mine went on nitrous, spraying every day. A minimum of 5 bottles a week.

5 bottles a week? Drunk coyote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Haha wtf. Post up some pics when they're on I gotta see this being a 2010 GT guy right here ha...
I will lol,
unexpected, even though everyone in my area knows my car anyways. My license plate is the first giveaway while there rolling up on it But there is always new people.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

5 bottles a week? Drunk coyote
I had my wife go fill them for me while I was at work hahaha.

5 was on a busy week honestly.

I would go through 2 on a regular.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
So could I run the vortech sc with the Lund tune they send me and be safe? Stock motor
And tranny. 2014gt

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So could I run the vortech sc with the Lund tune they send me and be safe? Stock motor
And tranny. 2014gt
Easily. We are stock motor & trans, Lund tuned and were at 636 rwhp prior to adding our torque booster setup.

Quote:
Like some stated above, there is more to it than just owning a fast car. Personally, I will go the "build it" route every time over the "buy it" route. I love modding and customizing these cars and it is something my son and I do together so what is the worth of that experience? I love a Shelby, but I had rather build something like I want it, not a badass car that 10k other people have identicle.

Why you see people always adding and getting better parts and faster, you will find out soon enough. I laugh at your statement 600 rwhp isnt enough? To answer that correctly: It is for a month or so. When it starts feeling "normal" again, you start having a need for more speed to get that feeling you get when you make your first WOT pull boosted....... and so money begins to climb out of your pockets. Crack has NOTHING on Horsepower.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

I know this was not the heart of the thread but I just wanted to chime in and say that I bought my 5.0 because it gives the best bang for your buck in terms of performance. Start spending $5k+ to make it faster and it starts making less and less sense. By all means get some basics like exhaust and tune, suspension maybe, etc. But I bought mine for efficiency. And ****, a brand new 2014 GT Premium with track pack and Recaros that makes probably 370 wheel and only cost me $35k OTD? That's pretty efficient.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I already have exhaust and there's no reason to get a tune right now since I'll be supercharging. Suspension is in the next thing for me to buy

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Easily. We are stock motor & trans, Lund tuned and were at 636 rwhp prior to adding our torque booster setup.

Like some stated above, there is more to it than just owning a fast car. Personally, I will go the "build it" route every time over the "buy it" route. I love modding and customizing these cars and it is something my son and I do together so what is the worth of that experience? I love a Shelby, but I had rather build something like I want it, not a badass car that 10k other people have identicle.

Why you see people always adding and getting better parts and faster, you will find out soon enough. I laugh at your statement 600 rwhp isnt enough? To answer that correctly: It is for a month or so. When it starts feeling "normal" again, you start having a need for more speed to get that feeling you get when you make your first WOT pull boosted....... and so money begins to climb out of your pockets. Crack has NOTHING on Horsepower.

You may be right...starting at 600HP and shall see if that satisfies the need for power! Great thing about edelbrock (and many others) is they sell the upgrade kits just in case you decide later to tack on more psi.

Because I got the Brenspeed tuned kit, the warranty is out the door. 16K on my car and soon I wont have a warantee to speak up. At least the door handles are still covered.

Funny how just a few years ago everyone was climbing all over themselves to buy electric cars (during the fuel crunch) Now they are putting out cars like the GT that get 16 mpg in the city.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Question for anyone out there. When you bolted on your S/C, did it in anyway affect your mileage? Throw out the fact that you may peddle stomp more often. The edlebrock has a bypass valve, so boost is released when in cruising mode.

I already get crappy mph with my overly aggressive tune on a mostly stock car, just didnt want to take another hit!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

After our install, we see roughly the same highway mileage and worse with city driving. The system we run releases boost upon deceleration too. A supercharger is NOT going to get you better mileage, that is for sure.....LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I know this was not the heart of the thread but I just wanted to chime in and say that I bought my 5.0 because it gives the best bang for your buck in terms of performance. Start spending $5k+ to make it faster and it starts making less and less sense. By all means get some basics like exhaust and tune, suspension maybe, etc. But I bought mine for efficiency. And ****, a brand new 2014 GT Premium with track pack and Recaros that makes probably 370 wheel and only cost me $35k OTD? That's pretty efficient.

Ha..you've already modded your car - aka track pack! Not exactly the definition of efficiency I think "Fun" is a more accurate term.

You could do absolutely nothing on the parts side and just tune the car. Its night and day driveability. The track pack with its steeper gears helps off the line certainly, but the stock GT SUCKS at low RPM until tuned. Ask anyone here.

Some guys live on the top end, but for a DD, how often do you push significantly above 4k RPM's? Low end torque is king for the 95% of us who dont own a race car!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After our install, we see roughly the same highway mileage and worse with city driving. The system we run releases boost upon deceleration too. A supercharger is NOT going to get you better mileage, that is for sure.....LOL
Interesting. Was hoping to call it a wash going from a gas sucking stock tune to a S/C with low boost and moderate tune. Surprising that Highway mpg would be the same honestly.

Yours is centrifugal and Im going roots. Roots makes instant torque at the lower RPMs, so maybe Im going to take a bigger hit than you on gas. Obviously Im no expert, so maybe thats false....just basing it on "surface" logic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT