boosted coyote question - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not sure, but stands to reason. Have you decided to DIY install or have it done?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Not sure, but stands to reason. Have you decided to DIY install or have it done?
Having a shop do the install. Had thought about DIY, but Im not mechanically inclined enough to do a first time install on a 33K car. No buddies that can assist unfortunately.

So far got quoted $1400 for a distant install and $2K local. 2k is ridiculous for 10 hours of labor, so still shopping it. Did you do your own install or have a shop do it?
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

My son and I did it on a weekend. It was pretty straight forward.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Having a shop do the install. Had thought about DIY, but Im not mechanically inclined enough to do a first time install on a 33K car. No buddies that can assist unfortunately.

So far got quoted $1400 for a distant install and $2K local. 2k is ridiculous for 10 hours of labor, so still shopping it. Did you do your own install or have a shop do it?
2,000 is about right for 10 hours of labor bud, that's where shops make there money, is the installs/ tuning.

If you went with the vmp kit, it would be simple for you to install alone. All plug and play conectors. And colorful picture book lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
2,000 is about right for 10 hours of labor bud, that's where shops make there money, is the installs/ tuning.

If you went with the vmp kit, it would be simple for you to install alone. All plug and play conectors. And colorful picture book lol

Edelbrock is plug and play too, but its nice to get a custom tune and have it broken in properly by a professional speed shop. Decided on the #1 place here in Phx. I still have the option of driving a 1000 miles to Texas and having it done for $1400. Only problem is, not sure if its a good idea to run 1000 freeway miles back on a newly installed S/C

Guess Im stuck, just got 2 quotes and both quoted $125 an hour 12-18 hours (tune included). This sh*t better last!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Edelbrock is plug and play too, but its nice to get a custom tune and have it broken in properly by a professional speed shop. Decided on the #1 place here in Phx. I still have the option of driving a 1000 miles to Texas and having it done for $1400. Only problem is, not sure if its a good idea to run 1000 freeway miles back on a newly installed S/C

Guess Im stuck, just got 2 quotes and both quoted $125 an hour 12-18 hours (tune included). This sh*t better last!!!
Why did you go with the edelbrock blower? You should have done some more research on the kit.

But anyways you do not have to break anything in. Once it's tuned it's good to go

Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Why did you go with the edelbrock blower? You should have done some more research on the kit.

But anyways you do not have to break anything in. Once it's tuned it's good to go

This. I drove a 2k trip a week after putting mine on. No regrets. My mpg is exactly the same as it was stock so fAr.
You'll love it. Makes it hard not to stomp it all the time especially of you have a good exhaust set up

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Man I spent months picking this out... roots vs centrifugal vs twin screw vs turbo.

Decision came down to having the instant power and low end torque of a roots blower. Plus the fact that edelbrock is a big name company, I could keep my strut tower brace and it can be upgraded 2 more stages. Its not a show car piece, rather boring actually. I have LOTS of "pretty" on the interior/exterior already so under the hood doesnt matter to me for looks.

Twin screw was the preference actually, but they are the most expensive of all. Whipples are the way to go if you have a LOT of spare cash. I paid $5500 (and that was discounted), so that was plenty enough for me!

Just got off the phone from Brenspeed (where I bought the S/C) and they convinced me to take the 1000 mile drive to their facility in Texas. Custom tune, installation, road tested and a free night at a hotel for $1400.

Road trip!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

the edelbrock supercharged cars are getting beat by NA coyotes.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

But either way you will like it, breenspeed is a good place to go.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

1400 not bad. Maybe $200-300 in fuel

Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

To bad breenspeed does not tune for e85

Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To bad breenspeed does not tune for e85

Its amazing what you can do when you give a shop anothers quote.... local shop just saw brenspeeds quote and lowered the price to $1300 for install - $200 for tune. Still $100 more then brenspeed, but add in gas as you mentioned - cheaper overall.I think these shops pull numbers out their a$$ when giving quotes...luckily Im a referral from a co-worker so I get the "buddy" price.

Speaking of upgrades, a while back when we were having our pissing match , you mentioned that a CAI wasnt really necessary on a 13-14 since it already had CAI as the stock airbox. I tested that theory out....

My car was dynoed with the Airaid CAI then again 5 days ago when I put the factory box back on (in prep for the S/C). The numbers were dam near identical. My car was even tuned to take advantage of the open box CAI. In conclusion, putting in a high flow K&N filter inside the stock factory airbox produces the same gains as an open CAI (If you read the writing on the factory box...it says "Cold Air Intake"!...never noticed). I was shocked honestly as its pretty much consensus how much better they are. Results may be different depending on your year mustang obviously.

Props on calling that one!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Lol try it again with Breenspeed

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was shocked honestly as its pretty much consensus how much better they are. Results may be different depending on your year mustang obviously.
FI is a different story though. If I put our stock air box on our car, we will lose almost 25rwhp. It all depends on how much air your motor is moving. When you are FI, more filter surface area will show significant gains.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
the edelbrock supercharged cars are getting beat by NA coyotes.

^^this lol.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FI is a different story though. If I put our stock air box on our car, we will lose almost 25rwhp. It all depends on how much air your motor is moving. When you are FI, more filter surface area will show significant gains.
So you think the open CAI makes that big a difference in a F/I engine?

Subject is probably beat to death, but a sealed airbox will obviously let more cold air in then an open box. There is no way that you can fully seal an open air box..period. You will always get some engine heated air mixed in, no way around it.

Now if cold vs hot air doesnt mean squat and its all about volume, then I can see the case - somewhat - for increased airflow. As you move, air rushes in through the grill port supporting both methods. With the edelbrock S/C the open CAI option only produced 7-8 extra HP. For $350 I dont see the value in that honestly.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

WileECoyoteGt,
SORRY BUT YOU ARE WRONG
Look at the design of the JLT performance intake for a FI mustang. It is a sealed lower box that hooks up to the direct air intake that is in the grill. When you close the hood, the the hood seals to the top housing. The air you get is coming in from the intake in the grill. It amazes me that people think that they are pulling in air from around the motor. Not with this design. It then boils down to square inches of filter media. There are PLENTY logs and dynographs on Centri'd with and without the performance CAI.
You need to take a closer look at the design of the JLT intake we use. It absolutely seals to the hood. The vent opening that plumbs through the grill is about 8"x 3". It is not just a side shield like old CAI designs. Numbers dont like on the dyno either.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
WileECoyoteGt,
SORRY BUT YOU ARE WRONG
Look at the design of the JLT performance intake for a FI mustang. It is a sealed lower box that hooks up to the direct air intake that is in the grill. When you close the hood, the the hood seals to the top housing. The air you get is coming in from the intake in the grill. It amazes me that people think that they are pulling in air from around the motor. Not with this design. It then boils down to square inches of filter media. There are PLENTY logs and dynographs on Centri'd with and without the performance CAI.
You need to take a closer look at the design of the JLT intake we use. It absolutely seals to the hood. The vent opening that plumbs through the grill is about 8"x 3". It is not just a side shield like old CAI designs. Numbers dont like on the dyno either.
Im not making a blanket statement...this is in regards to the 13-14 GT specifically.

Im pretty familiar with CAI's as Ive had them on 3 different mustangs. Dynos arent real world because they are performed open hood or with a fan blowing into the grill...neither of which is a driving characteristic. As mentioned I dynoed my car (hood open) and lost little when going stock AB.

Edelbrocks CAI kit was dyno tested by an independent 3rd party installer (who specializes in Roush and Edelbrock) and it produced 7-8 extra horsepower. Edelbrock did the same test, but lumped it in with a tune...hardly a fair comparison. The tune was 95% of that gain Im guessing.

Open CAI's are a poor choice IMHO on a 13-14 GT since the hood vents open up directly to the filter. During rains I experienced lunging when water was coming through the filter and into the engine. They make a rain shield, but then you are restricting air flow...worthless!

Other models/makes can greatly benefit from an open CAI, but Dynos as you mentioned have proven how little is gained on the newer mustangs. Being that the entry grade S/Cs from Ford racing and Edelbrock use the stock factory airbox proves they flow just fine. For $350 I can purchase steeper gears AND a throttle body spacer (a much argued part in itself) - easily blowing by a mustang with just a CAI out on the street. I'll take street performance all day and night vs Dyno numbers.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

This is getting dumb.

WileECoyoteGT. Just listen bud,
A open cai on a supercharged car will make a big difference, it needs the air,
Also will make a big difference on a heavily NA car,

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

The throttle body spacer is a paper weight. Nothing more, honestly think about it for a minute, wtf does it do, it's stupid marketing, that sells stuff like the throttle body spacer.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Couldn't have said it better,kudo's to Rapinator

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Once I yanked off the CAI, my car ran so much smoother and I havent lost a bit of torque in the process - stock with tune and better drive shaft.

When the S/C gets put on...I'll stick to the stock airbox, keep the water out of my engine and skip that $350 for 8 HP more. 520lbs of torque is more than I'll ever need honestly. I'd rather use that money to keep the tires from burning off.

TBS - people like to bandwagon against it and 9 times out of 10, they've never had one. Are you going to take hang gliding advice from someone whos never hang glided?..exactly. Its a minimal gain part...and honestly a waste of money unless you have an open CAI to pair it with. Sold it along with the CAI.

You can make the paper weight case for a larger throttle body on a stock car. Another minimal gain waste of $$$.

After completely modding 2 GTs from top to bottom, Ive come to the conclusion that anything beyond a tune and strut tower brace under the hood is a waste of good money. Use those benjamins for steeper gears, suspension, tires and a DS. If you decide to take the next step (F/I), you dont need to yank parts off that you overpaid for.

I used part sales money to bling out the car, stripes, hood scoop, spoiler, leather seats...etc. People compliment it all the time...great way to meet other stang enthusiasts. Last thing I want is a cookie cutter sleeper!

I talk too much...
Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron50 View Post
Couldn't have said it better,kudo's to Rapinator

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
YEA! We told that guy!....ummm...wait a min.....
Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After completely modding 2 GTs from top to bottom, Ive come to the conclusion that anything beyond a tune and strut tower brace under the hood is a waste of good money. Use those benjamins for steeper gears, suspension, tires and a DS. If you decide to take the next step (F/I), you dont need to yank parts off that you overpaid for.
With your comments above, now I completely understand how you "studied and researched" and chose the Edelbrock Supercharger.
Good luck bud.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With your comments above, now I completely understand how you "studied and researched" and chose the Edelbrock Supercharger.
Good luck bud.

Not really sure what level of sarcasm you're going for, but looking at your list of parts...its pretty clear you have an addiction to modding. You keep using the word "we" so maybe you own a shop or are that 5% that are rolling in excess cash. Your reality is hardly the norm.

My goal in life isnt to eek out every bit of HP and blow my engine in the process. Just having F/I puts you in a whole different class of speed anyways. ...aka "awesomeness" as my kids put it.

If I was worried about street cred only - I/we/us would have bought the edlebrock corvette killer kit and smoked cars like yours all day long. Im not 21 anymore.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is getting dumb.

WileECoyoteGT. Just listen bud,
A open cai on a supercharged car will make a big difference, it needs the air,
Also will make a big difference on a heavily NA car,

RAP,

A CAI does help..agree with you, but as I mentioned it only helps 7-8 HP on the Edelbrock stage 2 kit. Not worth it!

I absolutely kid you not, taking the CAI off my car helped it run much smoother with no loss of HP.

My dyno experience with the non F/I version of the car showed that the CAI addition was no where near the extra HP claims of Airaid. This is from real world experience with 2 CAI's & 2 dyno comparisons, rather than being swayed by opinions.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

We.....as in my SON and I......as it is HIS car. I drive a FX4 and am sure I am older than you as my son is in college. Addiction to modding LOL, no... WE just like to working on his cars together. His first car was a '65 mustang we built from the ground up. I am not nor have ever been in any type of auto business, just a hands on BLUE collar guy that has learned on my own how to do all our own work on our cars and have been teaching my son to do the same. My dad didn't know ANYTHING about turning wrenches.
5% hahaha, I made a deal with my son, if he earned an athletic scholarship to pay for his college, I would buy him a badass car. He held up his end of the bargain, and so did I. I am actually getting off good on this deal too.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
@Rapinator126 I pmd you

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We.....as in my SON and I......as it is HIS car. I drive a FX4 and am sure I am older than you as my son is in college. Addiction to modding LOL, no... WE just like to working on his cars together. His first car was a '65 mustang we built from the ground up. I am not nor have ever been in any type of auto business, just a hands on BLUE collar guy that has learned on my own how to do all our own work on our cars and have been teaching my son to do the same. My dad didn't know ANYTHING about turning wrenches.
5% hahaha, I made a deal with my son, if he earned an athletic scholarship to pay for his college, I would buy him a badass car. He held up his end of the bargain, and so did I. I am actually getting off good on this deal too.
Love the mid 60's mustangs. Had the pleasure of bringing an early Mach1 back to life. I was an idiot for selling it.

"Old" is just a number...older I get the more that statement becomes relevant!

Nothing wrong with modding, guilty of that big time. Just trying to help the newbie who wants to be a speed demon rather than a hobbyist/restorer. When starting my modding journey, its too bad an a$$hole such as myself wasn't changing my mind in a forum like this. Would have saved a ton of $$$! Its all about the right combination of mods, not quantity.

Let me know if your sons challenge pays off, may use that one myself!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let me know if your sons challenge pays off, may use that one myself!
It already has. He is a sophomore and plays golf for Oklahoma State. His athletic and academic scholarships have saved me easily enough to pay for his car and then some.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It already has. He is a sophomore and plays golf for Oklahoma State. His athletic and academic scholarships have saved me easily enough to pay for his car and then some.
Thats great! "Scholarship" is the magic word as a parent. My son has grandmas car to look forward to - 94 Buick Regal. Reeks of muscle car!

I know we are off topic. So on topic.... Has anyone had experience with the edlebrock kit?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have the roush TVS with brenspeed 650R tune. I've put about 15k miles on the car since install and havent had any issues. Car runs smooth and has more than enough HP for me.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
boosted coyote question

Roush 710r package (used 85 pulley) been 8k and was fine. Anyone get p0420 and 430 codes? Thinking risers may help and that the cats are fine. No drivability issues. Hoping the stealership checks it out at least. They usually are mod friendly and will give you a warning and say next time they will void you.

I know 0 people with the edlebrock so I can't help you there.

JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is pretty much what my parents did for me. They told me that as soon as I was born they started a college fund for me and they intended to pay whatever my bachelor's degree cost to obtain at a reasonably priced school. They then told me that any dollar I saved them by getting a scholarship would have $.50 of it applied towards a new car. I got $30k in scholarships based on my SAT score alone so they gave me $15k towards a new car. Back in 2008 I loved the Chargers, so I bought a brand new R/T for $25k and made up the difference by working my *** off at Whataburger, lol. They still say it paid off for them in the end.

Oh, and here we are some 6 years later and I just bought my first car on my own--a 5.0.

Props for providing for your son and incentivizing him to work hard. I know my parents helped me develop long-lasting habits that extend beyond just trying to get a new car.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT