Ford Racing Performance Pack Review - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Ford Racing Performance Pack Review

So I just installed the Ford Racing Power Pack a couple days ago and wanted to share my thoughts for others considering buying it. The pack includes a set of GT500 axel back exhaust, the Ford ProCal Tuner, a K&N air filter and a Ford Racing Oil Filter. Bought it off of Late Model Restoration for 599. The axel backs took about 2 hours with a buddy of mine and I wouldn't suggest doing it without one. I needed an extra hand a few times especially holding them in certain positions to take out. The sound upon starting is AMAZING! It does quit down a bit after a few but you can still hear it rumbling. Sounds great when you go to rev the engine too. Also, the big *** stainless steal tips really make the rear end look aggressive and make the stock ones look like they came off a toyota corolla. The new ones will literally swallow the old ones as I put them over the old ones to see. I love them. I read a lot of people wish they came with rolled tips like stock but I disagree. I think they look perfect. No drone and when you want to be heard you definitely can especially on WOT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407080625.196845.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	909.1 KB
ID:	162783

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407080656.464260.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	1,009.8 KB
ID:	162784

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407081227.739062.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	915.3 KB
ID:	162785

Next, you get a piece of paper to register your tuner with Ford Racing when the kit arrives. I registered my ProCal tune online and Ford Racing had it on my doorstep the next mourning. You can get a 75 dollar refund if you send it back when you're done. I decided to keep it. I followed the instructions and had no issues. I ended up doing it myself as all the dealerships in the New Orleans area are clueless and had no idea what I was talking about when I called to get prices. One said they don't do any tunes even though it is made by Ford. Having a dealer install only warranties an issue for 3yr/36k miles if the tune was proven the cause of the problem which is highly unlikely according to Ford Racing. I have a 7yr extended warranty that it won't effect unless the tune was the cause of the problem. So whether you do it or them the tune is only for 3 years, everything else stays the same. It's made by Ford and I trust it completely. It took about 20 mins for it to upload and do its business. As soon as it was done I took her for a spin and WOW did this wake her up. The car feels ready to go all the time now. Before it always seemed laid back and I hated the delay in throttle response. Now she's a beast and I feel like this tune is a must for any owner. I can definitely notice the extra torque. Not to mention my miles to empty jumped from 75 before tune to 110 after. No pinging issues that I read about prior to purchase but the Manuel tells you how to fix this if it happens. We have 93 octane around here which is recommended but 91 will suffice they say if you don't in your area. This should have been the factory tune no question. I highly recommend this kit to anyone considering buying it as the car has really been woken up and you'll even get better MPG in the process, can't beat it!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kmm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I was really stoked when this was released recently for 2013 GTs. Unfortunately for me, it appears that only manual 6 speeds need apply.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's fairly easy for dealers to say that a tune caused engine failure, and they can easily shift it to where the burden is you having to prove it didn't. I like the FRPP tune, since it's more of a DD friendly torque tune, but it still leaves 2 years difference between the factory and FRPP warranty, or 24k miles.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
I was really stoked when this was released recently for 2013 GTs. Unfortunately for me, it appears that only manual 6 speeds need apply.

Not true I have an automatic as well. Buy it you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just a quick update...this power pack is on sale rite now for 563 on late model restoration. Wish they would have had it a week sooner but thats my luck.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm316 View Post
Just a quick update...this power pack is on sale rite now for 563 on late model restoration. Wish they would have had it a week sooner but thats my luck.

Look at Levittown Superstore online - $392 plus shipping - around 420 for me - should be here next week

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Look at Levittown Superstore online - $392 plus shipping - around 420 for me - should be here next week

Just looked and thats JUST for the tuner. The whole kit is 582 on that site. The correct part number M-fr1-MGTB. Look again.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post

And shipping was free and got here in two days.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ah -sorry I already have their axle backs from a previous sale. I only needed the tuner and filter.
Love the sound of that exhaust note, especially thru a tunnel. There's definitely louder out there, but these are great for a daily driver - no drone.
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Keeripes, I paid $289, shipped, for the tuner and filter package, from buyfordracing.com, Mar. 2012. That was a deal. I'd say keep looking...

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
So I just installed the Ford Racing Power Pack a couple days ago and wanted to share my thoughts for others considering buying it. The pack includes a set of GT500 axel back exhaust, the Ford ProCal Tuner, a K&N air filter and a Ford Racing Oil Filter. Bought it off of Late Model Restoration for 599. The axel backs took about 2 hours with a buddy of mine and I wouldn't suggest doing it without one. I needed an extra hand a few times especially holding them in certain positions to take out. The sound upon starting is AMAZING! It does quit down a bit after a few but you can still hear it rumbling. Sounds great when you go to rev the engine too. Also, the big *** stainless steal tips really make the rear end look aggressive and make the stock ones look like they came off a toyota corolla. The new ones will literally swallow the old ones as I put them over the old ones to see. I love them. I read a lot of people wish they came with rolled tips like stock but I disagree. I think they look perfect. No drone and when you want to be heard you definitely can especially on WOT.

Attachment 162783

Attachment 162784

Attachment 162785

Next, you get a piece of paper to register your tuner with Ford Racing when the kit arrives. I registered my ProCal tune online and Ford Racing had it on my doorstep the next mourning. You can get a 75 dollar refund if you send it back when you're done. I decided to keep it. I followed the instructions and had no issues. I ended up doing it myself as all the dealerships in the New Orleans area are clueless and had no idea what I was talking about when I called to get prices. One said they don't do any tunes even though it is made by Ford. Having a dealer install only warranties an issue for 3yr/36k miles if the tune was proven the cause of the problem which is highly unlikely according to Ford Racing. I have a 7yr extended warranty that it won't effect unless the tune was the cause of the problem. So whether you do it or them the tune is only for 3 years, everything else stays the same. It's made by Ford and I trust it completely. It took about 20 mins for it to upload and do its business. As soon as it was done I took her for a spin and WOW did this wake her up. The car feels ready to go all the time now. Before it always seemed laid back and I hated the delay in throttle response. Now she's a beast and I feel like this tune is a must for any owner. I can definitely notice the extra torque. Not to mention my miles to empty jumped from 75 before tune to 110 after. No pinging issues that I read about prior to purchase but the Manuel tells you how to fix this if it happens. We have 93 octane around here which is recommended but 91 will suffice they say if you don't in your area. This should have been the factory tune no question. I highly recommend this kit to anyone considering buying it as the car has really been woken up and you'll even get better MPG in the process, can't beat it!

I was literally minutes away from creating a thread on this very topic. My father and his girlfriend just recently purchased a 2014 5.0. My father loves the car however notices a delay in throttle response when nailing the gas pedal. He does not care for the delay in acceleration just prior to the 420 HP explosion.

After speaking to me about this delay issue and other 5.0 owners he understands this delay acceleration issue is standard and is caused by Ford's factory tune. My father is now contemplating about a aftermarket tuner to solve the delay acceleration issue.

The issue my father is concerned about is loosing the factory warranty or fighting with Ford should a warranty issue arise. I personally recommend to my father solely based on his #1 concern (warranty coverage) for him to have Steeda tune his 5.0.

My father was at a Ford dealership today and inquired about tuning his 5.0. The service manager told my father a aftermarket tune can and most likely void the factory warranty. Also my father asked the service manager about a Steeda tune, the service manager never heard of a Steeda tune and knew nothing about it. The service manager did caution my father about an aftermarket tune: however did recommend a pro cal tuner pack Ford racing.

The service manager advised my father if Ford installed the pro cal tune on his 5.0, the warranty would be good too go. After reading many 5.0 threads about tuning companies I don't hear ***** about people using Ford racing pro cal tunes.

So my question after all this bull$ hit I wrote is. Is the Ford racing pro cal tuner a good tune? Will it take care of the delayed acceleration issue? How does a pro cal tune compare to say Lund; Steeda; Bama, MPT, AED?

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It transfers torque, claims 60 torque at 1.5K rpm's. Peak gains are only 16 hp and 7 torque. Warranty is reduced to the legth of the B2B warranty, and is picked up by Ford Racing. I don't think it is suppose to affect shifting.

Any other tune is better, except for that it doesn't come with a full warranty, BAMA has a 1 year warranty on ONLY the #8 cylinder, I wouldn't recommend them. Steeda is your best bet, never had a failure, will fight Ford if they blame the tune.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
It transfers torque, claims 60 torque at 1.5K rpm's. Peak gains are only 16 hp and 7 torque. Warranty is reduced to the legth of the B2B warranty, and is picked up by Ford Racing. I don't think it is suppose to affect shifting.

Any other tune is better, except for that it doesn't come with a full warranty, BAMA has a 1 year warranty on ONLY the #8 cylinder, I wouldn't recommend them. Steeda is your best bet, never had a failure, will fight Ford if they blame the tune.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the shift point's with the pro cal. My father does have a automatic. I told him my recommendation based on his concerns was to go with Steeda.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same feeling a bout the factory tune. The Procal is a complete cure for this annoying characteristic

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I had the same feeling a bout the factory tune. The Procal is a complete cure for this annoying characteristic
Great to know it cures that delay acceleration issue. How about the shift point's. Does it address that, the pro cal?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm almost positive that the FRPP tune doesn't affect shift points.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No changes to shift points or firmness from Procal...there are better options for auto cars, honestly.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No changes to shift points or firmness from Procal...there are better options for auto cars, honestly.
I have to totally agree. I really don't hear much talk about the pro cal.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's love at first shift on a stick car, though, imho.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Anyone with an auto needs to get a "real" tune. Use a tuner that know's how to tune the automatic (AED, M.Rousch, Lund, VMP, and others). Night and day difference in normal drivability and wot. I believe now the plus 60 foot pounds between 1-2000 rpms. Car feels 2 to 3x more torquey. Under light throttle the car pulls through the gears as it should.
My WOT shift points are now at 7100 rpms. Big difference from 6600 oem map. LOL
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Anyone with an auto needs to get a "real" tune. Use a tuner that know's how to tune the automatic (AED, M.Rousch, Lund, VMP, and others). Night and day difference in normal drivability and wot. I believe now the plus 60 foot pounds between 1-2000 rpms. Car feels 2 to 3x more torquey. Under light throttle the car pulls through the gears as it should.
My WOT shift points are now at 7100 rpms. Big difference from 6600 oem map. LOL
So, you do not recommend the pro cal tuner from Ford racing?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

No. It's the worst "tune" as it barely does anything except for move the torque curve, and barely add any peak gains. Upside is that it still retains some PT warranty, but it's a reduced warranty, picked up by FRPP.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Can't agree with that sentiment, in my case. For a canned tune, it very much exceeded expectations. Based upon my mph and race weight, it delivered 439 flywheel horse. That's way over claimed gains, in my case.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Not to mention that "tune" being your only power mod put 5lho in the 11s. I'd say its impressive enough.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Its a good tune from a warranty perspective not going to set the world on fire but it does wake up the soft factory tune. You can feel the gains in the seat alone.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That's because it moves torque down low, it's good, but most tunes are far better.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

No, not for an auto car.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't agree with that sentiment, in my case. For a canned tune, it very much exceeded expectations. Based upon my mph and race weight, it delivered 439 flywheel horse. That's way over claimed gains, in my case.
There is a guy that ran 11.9's @ 115mph (manual) with stock map from paper filter to tail pipes. Only mods were bigs and littles on slicks, front sway bar removed, and rear drag shocks. Just saying...
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason I would get the FRPP tune, is because it comes with some of a warranty, but seeing as I'm already a year/10k into that, no point in getting it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is a guy that ran 11.9's @ 115mph (manual) with stock map from paper filter to tail pipes. Only mods were bigs and littles on slicks, front sway bar removed, and rear drag shocks. Just saying...
Ok, so he's taken out 50 pounds of bar, put on drag shocks, dropped at least 100 pounds of wheel weight and who knows what else? I run an absolutely loaded Premium car (bar glass roof), with the factory stiff BBP suspension. Plus I actually hold the timeslip in my hand, since I did it, not, I "heard of some guy doing it". Just sayin....

Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Next, you get a piece of paper to register your tuner with Ford Racing when the kit arrives. I registered my ProCal tune online and Ford Racing had it on my doorstep the next mourning. You can get a 75 dollar refund if you send it back when you're done. I decided to keep it. I followed the instructions and had no issues. I ended up doing it myself as all the dealerships in the New Orleans area are clueless and had no idea what I was talking about when I called to get prices. One said they don't do any tunes even though it is made by Ford. Having a dealer install only warranties an issue for 3yr/36k miles if the tune was proven the cause of the problem which is highly unlikely according to Ford Racing. I have a 7yr extended warranty that it won't effect unless the tune was the cause of the problem.

This is what ive been told by the dealer i bought my car from

The Factory Ford Warranty for the drive-train is in Jeopardy including the 5 year 60,ooo
as soon as you install ANY Tune, including Ford Racing.

Plus your EXTENDED Warranty if bought from Ford is also on the line

Ford racing only covers the engine up to 36000 miles starting from ZERO
NOT when you install it. After that, you are at the Mercy of FORD because Ford racing will NOT cover your engine AFTER it hits 36000 miles.
And all Ford has to say is the Tune caused preexisting damage and your screwed to the Max $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
All those parts listed are between the paper filter and tail pipes. Just saying...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
"There is a guy"...

Yep, I'm sure there is! LoL

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Is it just the autos that have the delayed throttle response? Mine has no delay, its a 6 speed but I bought it used and it may have a tune already on it. Is there a way to tell if it has a tune? I would say mine is stock but I have no delay.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, we have alot of directions and factors going on here. I was mainly replying to the guy's with automatics that a "tune" from one of the top tier tuners would more than likely be much better than a Procal from Ford to help shifting parameters, overall hp/tq, and drivability. 5LHO glad you like and defend your ProCal. I'm pretty sure if you ran a Procal tune against one of the custom tuners actual gains/numbers (same car, same dyno) most people on here would not argue what that outcome would be. LOL.

Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT