Here is MORE improvement for the MT82! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Excellent writeup Rynarok. This mod definately gets rid of the need of a Barton rear mount bracket. I still believe that the MGW Shifter along with the Blowfish mount is absolutely the way to go. The Whiteline bushing is not needed any more either IMHO. It is stiffer and is supposed to decrease the deflection angle between the trans and your shifter which now is set and not an issue. I would think the OEM bushing would better pair with this setup to POSSIBLY decrease some NVH. This setup will definately give your car the feel that most racers want/need. Though it is powder coated Blue, I painted the one I got Red since all of our suspension mods are Red.

Blowfish had 200 of these made in the first run. They sold all of those within a day or so. The others that got to the party a little late, will get theres pretty quick as they started making more pretty quickly. Big kudos to Steve @ Blowfish for coming up and producing this part. It is pretty obviously a popular and effective part for M6 Mustangs.
I am looking forward to someone who installed this with the stock shifter setup.

That being said, I have the Barton 2-post right now. If I get the Blowfish mount do I need to find my stock shifter bracket? Or does it just get rid of it entirely.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
KARgt13, You can keep the shifter itself, just no need for the rear bracket. You do not need your old OEM rear bracket either. The Blowfish has its own bracket that attaches the trans to your shifter that is included. You can use the MGW rear bracket as it can be inverted and Blowfish made an adapter for the MGW.

Sell the Barton 2 post rear bracket to offset your cost of the BFR bracket
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Still waiting on mine to come in. Hopefully will be shipped out end of this week.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

great in depth write up Rynarok!!! I have a Barton shifter and 2 post bracket, I'm pretty happy with it, but I believe I'm getting an MGW and this bracket in October

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Well I already was interested in the product as soon as I heard about it, and now its just a matter of time until I get one! Great write up Rynarok, it really said what I wanted to hear.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Excellent write up and the best review I've seen yet with the MGW, which is what I have. What if any measures did you take to avoid contact between the MGW rear bracket with the OEM bracket studs? Did you set the BF bracket to it's lowest position. Did you have to bend, cut or cover those studs? Also what about noise? Did you use the soft or the hard MGW rubber insert? Thanks and sorry for the 20 questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
OK, here's the write-up as promised. It's a bit lengthy, but I try to be thorough.

I've had this installed for about a week. I waited this long to post so I had time to really put it through it's paces - I didn't want to do a half-a$$ed review.
-------------
In the box & install
First off, it is important to point out that I have a fair amount of other transmission work done. MGW shifter, a recent RP fluid swap, and a whiteline trans bushing. I've also removed the clutch assist spring (fwiw, it has little to do with gear selection in my mind).

Install was straightforward. The mgw adapter in the kit mates directly to the two post MGW piece that sits on the 'snout'. You do have to pull that part off, scrape off the RTV, and mount it upside down so it works with this kit though. It makes sense - you want the shifter setup mated to the transmission, not to the floor pan.

The parts were of good quality (these were excellent welds ). I'm usually not a fan of anodized blue finishes but this looked well done. The included instructions were easy enough to follow (with bolt torque ratings!) but it got confusing flipping back and forth between pages to look at diagrams.
--------------
The testing & thoughts
With first start-up, the first thing you notice is that you now have direct feel of your transmission through the shifter. You can feel the driveline's vibration - I couldn't before. The actual shifting is the same as it was with just the MGW - this makes sense, as the linkage didn't change much on mine. It will very likely make things more firmer and notchier on a stock or non-mgw setup.

Driving with it is nice. You can directly feel the transmission speed through the shifter at all times - this is important to me, as I prefer to use engine vibration and sound as indicators of when I should shift.

Over the last week, I've horsed around quite a bit with it. This includes quite a few launches and 1-2 // 2-3 WOT shifts plus powershifts plus hard downshifts. I also did quite a bit of revmatch gear floating for good measure.

Before, even with the MGW I was missing maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10 hard shifts. The MGW is miles ahead of the stock setup, too. I'm glad to say that I'm about 35 launches in and I've yet to miss one. 1-2nd is always always always in the same spot, and this is true for the 2-3rd shift also. It's one hell of a thing to always be able to bang into the next gear and KNOW it's going right in - the guesswork and hoping is gone. It just does it's job. Every time. Without fail.

Highway downshifts are also a lot more firm (6th to 3rd, 6th to 4th). Before, there was a fair chance that it was going to fight me going into that gear even with a good revmatch. Now, it just does it's damn job and goes into gear without any fuss. I still prefer to revmatch to make life easier on my driveline, but it'll still downshift easy without it.

According to trackapps I'm laying down consistent 4.2-4.3 0-60s. Before, it would do a 4.3 but that was after maybe 5 or 6 attempts that got screwed because the shift got botched. Now, it'll do it every time without fuss. Keep in mind my mods (no suspension work yet) and the fact I'm on the Pzeros (aka zero traction)
--------------
Comparison to my other projects
I do a lot of car work with my buddies. We've built old fox mustangs, LT1 'maros, LS1 'birds, LS2 goats, a few EVOS, an SRT4 or two, a handful of 300Zs (and one 350Z). I'd like to think that I have a good grasp on what a properly set up car is like. You might disagree, that's alright also.

With this bracket, the MT82 feels like a well setup T-56 out of the LT1/LS1 F bodies. We even got out of the mustang and into my buddies built-up LS1 to compare the shifter feel (he's got a hurst StS)...I think the feel is about as identical as it can get.
--------------
Thoughts on the necessity of other mods
This all being said, I still think it's a good call to invest in a good fluid swap and an aftermarket shifter setup. I wouldn't bother with a barton two-post or whatever - remember, this set up replaces the assembly that holds the 'snout' in place, so don't waste your money & time. I wonder, though, if the whiteline transmission bushing is still worth it...it does firm up the transmission's connection to the car's frame (thus, less total driveline deflection) but maybe it's not as necessary as before? I'd like to hear some of yall's thoughts on that.
--------------
Rating
Fit 5/5
Finish 3.5/5 (not usually a fan of blue, having color choices is a good idea. The workmanship was excellent)
Performance 5/5 (it makes every other transmission mod that much more effective)
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
***Rynarok I AM DISSAPPOINTED THO***
NO PICTURES????? WTF
Got lazy about taking pictures about halfway through. I was anxious to get it done and to start testing it out. Here's a freebie though

Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
What if any measures did you take to avoid contact between the MGW rear bracket with the OEM bracket studs? Did you set the BF bracket to it's lowest position. Did you have to bend, cut or cover those studs? Also what about noise? Did you use the soft or the hard MGW rubber insert? Thanks and sorry for the 20 questions.
I played around with the idea of using a dremel to cut those studs down, but decided against it (in case I ever need them, iunno...I tend to be cautious to a fault). I screwed the nuts back on them incase I or someone else ever needs them.

Instead, I made sure I could fit my index finger tip between the studs and the top of the mgw bracket. I figure that's a good 1.5cm or so...if the driveline deflects THAT much then I have more to be worried about than having the studs bump the bracket. It wasn't the lowest position - still somewheres in the middle still.

Hell, maybe I'll go find some little rubber caps if I feel fancy about it.

I use the hard insert (hehe) on the bracket. I have no more noticeable noise than I did before...which was a concern as you need to remove that shield to install this brace.

----

It says in the directions that you need to straight remove any aftermarket shifter assemblies (barton, Ford Racing, etc etc) from the 'snout' before installing this piece. It comes with it's own bracket which seems nice and sturdy. The only reason the MGW get's its own adapter is because it's awesome and worth keeping.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Traded my car in for a c6 vette.. i have a bracket sitting in my garage - feel free to PM me with offers
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
I played around with the idea of using a dremel to cut those studs down, but decided against it (in case I ever need them, iunno...I tend to be cautious to a fault). I screwed the nuts back on them incase I or someone else ever needs them.

Instead, I made sure I could fit my index finger tip between the studs and the top of the mgw bracket. I figure that's a good 1.5cm or so...if the driveline deflects THAT much then I have more to be worried about than having the studs bump the bracket. It wasn't the lowest position - still somewheres in the middle still.

Hell, maybe I'll go find some little rubber caps if I feel fancy about it.

I use the hard insert (hehe) on the bracket. I have no more noticeable noise than I did before...which was a concern as you need to remove that shield to install this brace.

----

It says in the directions that you need to straight remove any aftermarket shifter assemblies (barton, Ford Racing, etc etc) from the 'snout' before installing this piece. It comes with it's own bracket which seems nice and sturdy. The only reason the MGW get's its own adapter is because it's awesome and worth keeping.

Thanks. I ended up installing mine with the blowfish adapter oriented to place the MGW bracket farther back. The posts on the back of the MGW shifter body now only go about 3/4 of the way through the bushing but it seems to be working fine that way. I also adjusted the BF bracket all the way down. This resulted in the shifter sitting only about 1/8" lower inside the car than before installing the BF bracket.

I too used the harder bushing and also have no extra noise and very minimal vibration, only detectable when I put my hand right on the shifter. I am very pleased with the improved shift action.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said, I have all three. The mgw shifter with the track bushing for extra stiffness, white line bushing , blow fish bracket. I have no vibration at all. I can hear the gears in the trans a little but not much. Next year I am installing headers and will be throwing in aftermarket motor mounts since the stock ones are going to be removed during the install. We will see how much vibration I get then. My car is a garage queen for the most part so it won't bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well just chiming in. couple days in on my install of the Blowfish bracket. Should note I did clutch, flywheel and aluminum driveshaft at the same time. Feels of shifts are great. It actually feels like the drivetrain is smoother. Seems quicker as well although no figures to prove that.

For the negative. As people have said you definitely feel the drivetrain vibration in the handle. I can even here the shifter rattle at about 3,500-4,000 rpms. I am not going to worry as I it accomplished what it was supposed to. BUT for you guys who have a noice issue like exhaust or any other in cabin stuff just note it does vibrate
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

OK, had my bracket in for a while now and wanted to post in here again with thoughts and comments. First let me say I have not missed a high rev shift since installing. Shifting is precise and I am thrilled with it. I got it for a pupose and it serves that purpose very well. Only two slight things I wanted to throw in here for others with it to see if there are any thoughts solutions.

1. Occasionally when stopped and in neutral I have a hard time getting it into first. ONLY when stopped though. Goes into all gears great when moving. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. because this replaced the Barton bracket and there is no rubber bushing in the Blowfish I get a rattle that is the shifter rattling at certain RPM's. Any thoughts on this? was thinking i could pull the shifter boot off and use a thin coat of rubberized paint to coat the shifter shaft and reduce the rattle.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
OK, had my bracket in for a while now and wanted to post in here again with thoughts and comments. First let me say I have not missed a high rev shift since installing. Shifting is precise and I am thrilled with it. I got it for a pupose and it serves that purpose very well. Only two slight things I wanted to throw in here for others with it to see if there are any thoughts solutions.

1. Occasionally when stopped and in neutral I have a hard time getting it into first. ONLY when stopped though. Goes into all gears great when moving. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. because this replaced the Barton bracket and there is no rubber bushing in the Blowfish I get a rattle that is the shifter rattling at certain RPM's. Any thoughts on this? was thinking i could pull the shifter boot off and use a thin coat of rubberized paint to coat the shifter shaft and reduce the rattle.
Which version of the bracket you have ?

The revised version with the 2 post bracket and rubber bushing was suposed to eliminate most of the vibration.
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I am running the MGW version 1 shifter and the blowfish bracket doesn't rattle at all. Have considered going to the MGW race spec, but don't know what really I could gain and would lose my DS loop in the process.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineau View Post
Which version of the bracket you have ?

The revised version with the 2 post bracket and rubber bushing was suposed to eliminate most of the vibration.
The Blowfish is the Original version. Have to but a new short shifter and have it NOT work. Maybe I can see if they have a rubber bushing they can sell for the original or I can rig something up.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
The Blowfish is the Original version. Have to but a new short shifter and have it NOT work. Maybe I can see if they have a rubber bushing they can sell for the original or I can rig something up.
They have a retrofit kit available
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm almost positive the reason the barton makes a sound is because of the reversable handle they have to accomodate the reverse lockout changes. The set screw isn't tight in that slot and the handle rattles causing that screw to buzz against the metal slot it goes through on the shaft. You might try putting a piece of electrical tape on one side of that slot on the shaft.
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Maruisvt, might try that depending on the response from Blowfish. Hoping they have a retro fit. I gott look at just getting the boot off and checking it out. Just hate pulling body panels as I am usually the king of clip breaking
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
2011-2014 Mustang V6/GT/BOSS SHIFTER SUPPORT RETROFIT KIT
https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...rofit-kit.html
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
2011-2014 Mustang V6/GT/BOSS SHIFTER SUPPORT RETROFIT KIT
https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...rofit-kit.html
Just ordered. Sucks gotta pay $89.99 to upgrade the part but whatcha doing to do... prob cheapest Mod I will do this year lol.

Thanks man, let you know how goes
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Interested to hear how the retrofit helps out your situation. I have the original styled bracket with a barton short shifter so it'll be the same set up your coming from. Haven't installed the bracket yet but should be soon.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Is anyone thinking of getting the retrofit that has an MGW?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Is anyone thinking of getting the retrofit that has an MGW?
Not me. The way I positioned the rear MGW bracket onto the BF bracket has avoided any body stud contact. The amount of elastomer (I've put in the stiffer "track" one) in the MGW bracket is much greater than the two little grommets in the BF retrofit bracket so I'm, concerned it could actually increase NVH compared to my current set up.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I asked if anyone is planning on getting it for the MGW since it comes with both a MGW & a non-MGW one maybe we can split it so it'll be cheaper for both of us. Haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT