Here is MORE improvement for the MT82! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Here is MORE improvement for the MT82!

So far, we have had a pretty good MT-82 transmission. We have removed the helper spring, installed the MGW shifter, upgraded the clutch line, and installed the Whiteline bushing.

Only occaisionally we still will get a high rpm lockout. On another forum a person came up with a pretty ingenious item that will eliminate the rotational torque that can cause you to get locked out of a shift. After looking at it, I couldn't believe it had not been done before. As a bonus, the part acts as a safety loop for your driveshaft as well. I look forward to getting the one I ordered and giving it a try. The people who beta tested them had a LOT of positive results. I am sure it will add a bit of NVH, but I will trade that any day for eliminating being locked out at high rpms.

The day you have all been waiting for is here! Patent is filed. Final pricing is set. First article is being built now for test fitting and then the first 200 units will be ready around Labor Day.

The burning question...what is it and how does it work? Well, lets look at the OE confirguration.

those with shifter issues, enter now!

As you can see, this is the stocker. Single arm that attaches the shifter to the transmission. Then, a rubber isolator mount that attaches the back of the shifter to the body. Ford did this for one reason only...comfort.

This is called a semi-remote mounted shifter. This is commonplace in the industry today. All 2005 and up Mustangs use it, Camaros use it, Challengers use it, BMWs use it, and even the GT500 and Boss factory race cars use it. They all suffer from some form of shifting issues, but nothing like the MT82. The reason the problem isn't as bad is the fact that they all use a twin beam arm to attach to the transmission.

Why does a twin beam work better? Well, under acceleration, the engines torque is attempting to be transmitted through the driveline and to the ground to propel the car. The act of trying to propel the car causes the drivetrain to rock in the opposite direction of the driveshaft rotation. We call this "torquing". When torquing occurs, the transmission moves, but since the shifter is half attached to the transmission and half to the body, it ends up twisting. Twin beams naturally resist more of the twist than a single beam can, but 400ftlbs of torque can still overcome this, so engineers put soft bushings between all of the connections to allow the twist to happen without breaking the shifter assembly.

We are all aware of the products out there to try to fix the shifting issues. They all involve stiffer bushings. Shifters use them at the body mount to resist flex, but its a placebo. The Whiteline insert has a better approach in it tries to reduce the transmission flexing. The CHE torque brace does the same thing. The MGW shifter uses heavy internal springs to try to compensate for the misalignment that occurs under torquing.

Drivers get very different results because they all shift differently. For some, a little bit of tightening is enough...most of the time. For others, the helper springs in the MGW fixes it. For others, like myself, nothing worked. I came from a T5 transmission in a 95 Mustang to this car. I mastered the art of powershifting on that car and tried to apply it to this one. The MT82 was having none of that. So, I had to slow things down. What I came to realize was the semi-remote shifter arrangement was to blame. All of my previous transmission experience was with a shifter firmly attached to the transmission case. So, I set out to find out if converting the semi-remote shifter to a hard mount shifter would fix the problems. Well, of course the answer was HELL YEAH!! I finally was able to love my car without any significant drawbacks. The shifter issues that made my driving experience less than enjoyable was ELIMINATED! Its so simple. Why didn't this solution come out sooner? Who knows, but I aimed to share my newfound Mustang enjoyment with the world!

So, here it is:

Sturdy 1/4" thick steel ties the rear of the shifter to the transmission and as an added bonus, you get an NHRA legal driveshaft safety loop at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! The billet aluminum adapter clamps to the shifter box "snout. You also get an adapter that will work with your MGW shifter:

As reported, it shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours to install with hand tools. For those of you who struggled a bit with the beta installations, I listened. The final design will make it much easier. Literally, the longest part of the install time is getting the car up so you can work underneath it.

I ordered one and they will ship out it looks like on Sept. 1. The thread that has the cost and where to get one is on bossmustangsonline.com
I have no relationship with the vendor that is selling these, but this is something that everyone should see as it is a NEW idea for shifting problems on our mustangs
I didnt want to post that in this post and piss off vendors here.

Here is the original thread this is from:

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the link to order it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...t-bracket.html

for August pre-orders, he is offering it for 229, after August, it goes to 299
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I was expecting a Tremec... but this just might work.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have this urge to quote your thread before saying, "nice"..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

LOL......my first thought when seeing you commented was......"hmmmm, Compstall.....this will be interesting"
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! Cant wait to see how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jgrummz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Just ordered one today. The beta testers for it seem to have had good experiences and minimal NVH changes. Definitely excited to give it a try.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Is the kit for us MGW owners the same price? Also, does this make life any more difficult for installing a driveshaft down the road?

This sounds like a great setup.

---edit---
I took a look at the site. Is the kit w/ the adapter for the MGW going to be listed later on?
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to him, the MGW adapter COMES with it. No need to order anythinng additional. Driveshaft removal or replacement wont be too different. You don't have to remove the driveshaft to install this, so you may even be able to remove your driveshaft with this in place. If not, you would only need to remove the bottom half of the loop at the most.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I talked to him, the MGW adapter COMES with it. No need to order anythinng additional. Driveshaft removal or replacement wont be too different. You don't have to remove the driveshaft to install this, so you may even be able to remove your driveshaft with this in place. If not, you would only need to remove the bottom half of the loop at the most.
I dug through that other thread, he says

Quote:
stock shifter: YES
MGW shifter: YES, but can't use heat shield, if equipped
Barton shifter: YES
Steeda shifter: YES
FRPP shifter: yes
SR Performance shifter: YES
Hurst shifter: yes
don't know of any others out there, but as long as they use the stock shifter box (as all but the MGW do), it will work.

whiteline insert: YES

it will replace any shifter brackets, so none of those work with it.
So, I think I'm willing to remove the heat shield for this...that might increase NVH a bit but if this does what I think it should, I can live with that.

Good find, Mr. Deerslayer!
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, I think I'm willing to remove the heat shield for this...that might increase NVH a bit but if this does what I think it should, I can live with that.

My sentiments exactly Rynarok. The design just makes sense looking at it. Reading what the beta tests show too is very positive.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
This will eliminate those high rpm missed shifts and has to be worth at least a tenth off everyone's ET. Thus, it's a steal at that price and maybe the best money spent on an MT82. Kudos to everyone on top of this and look out automatic guy's the playing field has been leveled.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just ordered it. Heads up, that website is rather vague about accepting payments. I called Steve directly at 410-643-1127 to confirm payment went through - It did. Kinda cool, he's the same guy that R&D'd this thing.

I also got to ask him about any particulars with using this with the MGW setup. He said I might need to remove the heat shield because the studs might not be long enough otherwise. It works on some, on others the shield needs to go.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

promising for sure, but I'll hold out until I see some real world testing from you forum members out there......

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
This is extremely tempting. I wouldn't mind saving $70 by jumping on a pre-sale order. Dammit, just when I think I'm doing good, more stuff comes up to fuel my car parts addiction.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'll do a write up for the DIY section when I install it, plus some thoughts on before/after changes (fwiw)
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got my extinguisher mount, tow ring, and brake vent set up from Blowfish. They are good people with quality products, especially for those of us who like to track our cars.
The website says they are currently out of stock on these shifter supports. Looking forward to hearing how well they work.
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
if this system does what they are claiming in real world tests then i am for sure buying this.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Bringing this thread back from the dead, but Bill from CJ Pony Parts installed and tested this bracket and he said it made a huge difference.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead, but Bill from CJ Pony Parts installed and tested this bracket and he said it made a huge difference.
that's great news! I'm waiting on some more real world testing from you guys

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
that's great news! I'm waiting on some more real world testing from you guys
+1

Once more people get their hands on this and if it really does make a difference, I will be ordering one.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Can't wait for mine to come in! Definitely will let you guys know how it is. I have an mgw and whiteline bushing, so that's what I'll be adding this onto

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

^ Same, this is being added on to an MGW with the whiteline trans bushing and the RP fluid swap. This part outta ship out the beginning of September, so you'll be hearing from a few of us around then.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be doing a royal purple swap at the same time. Along with stainless clutch line and dot4 motul rbf600 brake /clutch fluid. I want all my shifting problems gone

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Very excited!!! for my next mod was going, to be a shifter hope my funds work out, after reading all the feedback I think I'm gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and get one!!!

If at first you don't succeed. keep flushing!!!
13coyotevahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a really good install video and critique of the part. Can not wait till we get this on......

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

will this work with a aftermarket drive shaft ?
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine's on order. Got in on the introductory price for the first 200 orders! Can't wait!
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Blowfish shifter bracket

Don't feel like digging through this forum thread, but i believe Steve said it will work with any driveshaft. i don't believe he's tested anything larger than a 4" driveshaft but said there looks to be enough room for larger.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
this is interesting. I've said b4 how much motor mounts improved shifting in my V6. I would think they would make a bigger differance in the V8. Drawback is more NVH but it ain't a Camary.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
this is interesting. I've said b4 how much motor mounts improved shifting in my V6. I would think they would make a bigger differance in the V8. Drawback is more NVH but it ain't a Camary.
I think people in the beta thread were saying there was no noticeable NVH from it.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

great video by CJPP, I love their videos! Im pretty much sold after seeing an actual real live part installed and tested. cant wait to get one
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'd be curious for someone with a bone stock car to install one and share how the nvh is effected. After the poly rear suspension bushings and whiteline bracket, I'm not sure I'd notice or care about a bit more nvm. Throw some dynamat in the trans tunnel and call it a day

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It there was any change in nvh it stays in the shifter since its not connected to the body anymore, so if anything I would think it would stay the same or decrease just a little.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT