New Shift Knob - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
New Shift Knob

I just ordered a new shift knob from American Muscle. I got the standard throwback black. Has anyone had ay problems with the install?
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah. I ordered that same knob two weeks ago. I got it and when I tried to install it, the shift boot retainer did not fit onto the threads. So I tried using a wrench to get it on but it literally would not move. It only went on about a quarter of the way and I wasn't about up torque the hell out of it and break something. So I called AM and they told me, "yeah we have been having a problem with them fitting but they should have fixed it." They sent me a new one and I got it three days later. This retainer piece looked like crap and had weird texture to it, Idk what was wrong with it but it wasn't right. Well guess what, still didn't fit. I called back and told them that it still doesn't fit so they ended up giving me my money back. Then I went and ordered one from Late Model Restoration and it's way nicer actually and fit perfectly the first time. Hopefully your experience goes more smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BackInBlack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They also told me it was because the way the retainer piece is designed it tapers and narrows toward the top and that's what makes it not fit. It could just be something with 14's. I have a 2014 GT Premium. It was a little frustrating though. It's supposed to be so simple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I should have posted this before I ordered it. I saw the reviews and most of them seemed like it worked ok. Hopefully it works out. I know the stock one doesn't fit my style.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I did the same thing. I read all the reviews and was like okay sweet looks good. But I will say, the new knob makes for a total different feel. You'll like it. Good luck, please update and let me know how it goes for you. The only positive I got out of the deal was to keep the black ball. So I ordered a white one so if have white and black. I'm rocking the white right now, but like the black too. I like the chrome piece on this one too. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407381478.494627.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	163031Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407381513.078305.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	163032

Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I will give an update once I get it and attempt the install. So Backinblack14 your worked fine?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco3 View Post
I just ordered a new shift knob from American Muscle. I got the standard throwback black. Has anyone had ay problems with the install?
Rosco-Can you shoot me a PM with your order number? I'm more than happy to get a replacement set up and sent overnight for you because of the trouble!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInBlack14 View Post
Yeah. I ordered that same knob two weeks ago. I got it and when I tried to install it, the shift boot retainer did not fit onto the threads. So I tried using a wrench to get it on but it literally would not move. It only went on about a quarter of the way and I wasn't about up torque the hell out of it and break something. So I called AM and they told me, "yeah we have been having a problem with them fitting but they should have fixed it." They sent me a new one and I got it three days later. This retainer piece looked like crap and had weird texture to it, Idk what was wrong with it but it wasn't right. Well guess what, still didn't fit. I called back and told them that it still doesn't fit so they ended up giving me my money back. Then I went and ordered one from Late Model Restoration and it's way nicer actually and fit perfectly the first time. Hopefully your experience goes more smoothly.
Yikes! Sorry to hear about the back and forth. I'm not entirely sure how this is happening and I'm going to have your comments sent over to our development team so we can have this corrected. Shoot me a PM with any of your order numbers so I can have this passed along to the right team!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the knob itself works and fits fine. Good quality and everything, I like it. It's the boot that didn't work. Some of the reviews were from people with 14's that said it worked fine though.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just received the new shift knob today. The boot retainer only screwed on maybe a quarter of the way, so mission failed. Pretty ridiculous. Why make a tapered boot retainer? Or do more product testing before releasing your products.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I bought the same shift know and I have the same issue. I got a replacement shift boot retainer from AM, the second one fits a lot better, still leaves a small gap at the bottom between the boot. The top part circle part of the shift boot is suppose to be able to snap into the bottom of the retainer, but it doesn't hold well and falls off everytime.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco3 View Post
Just received the new shift knob today. The boot retainer only screwed on maybe a quarter of the way, so mission failed. Pretty ridiculous. Why make a tapered boot retainer? Or do more product testing before releasing your products.

I don't know man, but I feel ya. It's pretty frustrating. I went through the same thing. All you can do is call and tell them. Maybe they'll be able to send a new one that fits? I hope you get it resolved. Otherwise, the one I got from LMR is really nice and fit perfectly the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
I bought the same shift know and I have the same issue. I got a replacement shift boot retainer from AM, the second one fits a lot better, still leaves a small gap at the bottom between the boot. The top part circle part of the shift boot is suppose to be able to snap into the bottom of the retainer, but it doesn't hold well and falls off everytime.

You should send it back. If I spend money on something like that I expect it to be good. I wouldn't have it in my car if it was like that. But that's just me. At least you can get yours on.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I no longer use the collar or knob for that matter, but I had the issue of the collar not threading all the way down, I simply lightly clamped a pair of vise grips onto the very bottom section (the part that's hidden by the boot) of the collar and ran a drill bit half way up, the issue is, there is not enough threaded area on the shifter to thread the collar all the way down, once you drill out the bottom section of threads a little, it threads on nicely all the way down

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No, the problem isn't that there are no threads. The problem is that it's tapered. Obviously meaning that it gets smaller. So when it starts to taper it begins to squeeze down onto the treads and it starts to try and tread that unthreaded section, when it shouldn't. That's when it stops turning. The new piece I have from another maker is the same way. It isn't threaded at the end either but fits perfectly. I did the same thing, drilled out the retainer, but ended up scratching the paint all up and even after it still wasn't a good fit. I could get it on but it was basically just sitting on there and not screwed on.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's what AM told me anyways. But I mean, you can tell that's the problem just by looking at it.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

at any rate, the collar is not attractive really, the knob is decent, but the collar.....not so much, there are better collar choices out there if you like the knob, speed dawg makes some nice looking black, satin silver, and polished collars that are that style but they're cleaner looking

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I got a new shift knob with my MGW setup. Very, very nice. The collar is excellent also.

Mine is the black w/ white stripes & white pony logo on the sides.

2010-Present Mustang RALLY SERIES SHIFT BALLS
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
I got a new shift knob with my MGW setup. Very, very nice. The collar is excellent also.

Mine is the black w/ white stripes & white pony logo on the sides.

2010-Present Mustang RALLY SERIES SHIFT BALLS

Do you have a pic you can put up? I'd like to see it. It does look pretty nice from the website photo.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The photos would look better than any pic I could take of them.

The knob is nice - it's been on the car for about a year and still looks like brand new. I take very good care of my car though. Many guys at the local meets ask if it's OEM Boss 302 stuff...it isn't, but it certainly looks like something that could've been installed by Ford if they wanted something classier than that stock plastic piece o' crap.

MGW has them in a a few different thread sizes. Mine is drilled for their shifter setup (which I also highly recommend) but they do carry sizes for OEM.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT