Any negatives to a pro cal tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Any negatives to a pro cal tune

In the four years I have been on this forum and various other mustang forums I rarely read about 5.0 owners installing Ford Racing's pro cal tune. Why is this? What are the negatives of this pro cal tuner that would shy 5.0 owners away from it.

We always hear about Lund, Steeda, Bama, AED, MPT, VMP, Brenspeed but when it comes to Ford Racing, almost nothing. Why is this?

Its my understanding that if a Ford dealership installs the pro cal tune one gets to keep its factory warranty. I would think keeping ones warranty in tact on a brand new car would be important to many.

Since many people worry about tuning and possible warranty issues and coverage, why wouldn't a 5.0 owner that has a new mustang , just get a pro cal tune and warranty in tact.

My father has a 2014 5.0 CS and loves the car but does wish the throttle response was inhanced and the delay in acceleration when stomping on it had no noticeable delay.

Keeping a factory warranty is a main concern for my father and thought a pro cal tune would solve the delay in acceleration issue all while keeping the factory warranty. Are there any downsides to installing the pro cal tune?

Why don't more 5.0 owner's that have performance tunes already; not using Ford Racing's pro cal tune?
I'm trying to steer my father away from getting the pro cal tune and go in other directions for aftermarket performance tunes but he really is concerned about the factory warranty coverage.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Use search button. This has been debated in a very similiar thread...
Old 08-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Use search button. This has been debated in a very similiar thread...
The search button is not good at all. It finds any thread that has the word pro in a thread. There really isn't much talk about pro cal. There was one thread I saw but not much participation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

numerous complaints of pinging, which Ford Racing says is normal, the peak gains arent great, but there is a nice low end power gain from I read, supposedly you keep your warranty if a dealership flashes the tune. Idk man, try it out
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
numerous complaints of pinging, which Ford Racing says is normal, the peak gains arent great, but there is a nice low end power gain from I read, supposedly you keep your warranty if a dealership flashes the tune. Idk man, try it out
Thanks bro. Just doing someone additional research for my pops. He belongs to a mustang club out his way and is asking around there what other stang owners use.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Thanks bro. Just doing someone additional research for my pops. He belongs to a mustang club out his way and is asking around there what other stang owners use.

if he doesnt plan other extensive mods, its ideal for him, alot of people dont use it because it cant be tweaked for other mods
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Will an aftermarket tune void my 100k extended warranty?
Hack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack14GT View Post
on your drivetrain, yes
Old 08-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The performance community enthusiasts don't seem to be concerned with warranty issues. I been tuned since 5k miles so I was too concerned. My father is 69 years old and been driving for 52 years and never in his driving life has he ever had a engine or transmission issue during the factory standard warranty period.

My mother has been driving for 50 years and never has she owned any car that had engine or transmission issues during a factory warranty period.

I have been driving over 25 years and have owned 5 brand new cars and never had a warranty coverage engine or transmission repair.

Do cars out there have transmission or engine issues during the factory warranty period, sure. Im guessing its a very small percentage to all the millions and millions of new cars.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
My father is 69 years old and been driving for 52 years and never in his driving life has he ever had a engine or transmission issue during the factory standard warranty period.
lol your Pops never owned a Coyote with a glass jaw #8 piston and a limp wristed MT82 **** box transmission till now
Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol your Pops never owned a Coyote with a glass jaw #8 piston and a limp wristed MT82 **** box transmission till now
Lmao. Hopefully his automatic will be better than that MT82 transmission. Lmao. I was under the impression the #8 issue was isolated to 2011 & 2012 5.0 models. Of course I could be wrong on that and thought Ford made some piston changes to the 13-14's.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
on your drivetrain, yes
I disagree.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My Dealer told me my TrackCal tune only voids my 100K warranty if the tune was shown to be the true cause of it, or me abusing it. The TrcakCal was not going to void my MT-82 blowing a gear unless I was abusing it for example.

I bought it at the dealer and had them install it. Even if it costs more money that is the best route to take for the long run.

Edit: Ford Racing has now said the pinging is from the oil intake from PVC, and to use a JTL passenger side catch can to eliminate the pinging due to lowered octane caused from the oil/fumes being ingested.
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
My Dealer told me my TrackCal tune only voids my 100K warranty if the tune was shown to be the true cause of it, or me abusing it. The TrcakCal was not going to void my MT-82 blowing a gear unless I was abusing it for example.

I bought it at the dealer and had them install it. Even if it costs more money that is the best route to take for the long run.

Edit: Ford Racing has now said the pinging is from the oil intake from PVC, and to use a JTL passenger side catch can to eliminate the pinging due to lowered octane caused from the oil/fumes being ingested.
Art
+1 Art is On Point and I installed my catch can before I got the tune haven't had the first issue, they did an update and the engine light (known issue) was resolved.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradone View Post
+1 Art is On Point and I installed my catch can before I got the tune haven't had the first issue, they did an update and the engine light (known issue) was resolved.
+1, I installed the JLT first thing when I upgraded to my 13 GT. I left the other one on the V6 I traded and made sure the dealer told the new owner how to empty the oil in it.

I did figure out the "tip in" I was experiencing. I had told the dealer I had not planed to use the launch control. The launch point was left at factory 2K so the motor would not rev higher than that until I left go of the clutch. I raised it to 2.5k and that is perfect for driving on the street normally. A quick move of the cruz control buttons can change it anytime you are stopped.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack14GT View Post
Quote:
on your drivetrain, yes
I disagree as well, this is a broad question and a simple answer does not suffice.

For starters, I have the Ford Racing Pro Cal Tune on my 2014 GT Auto and really like it. I will explain details further down.

As for the warranty, the "Drivetrain" is a general and very broad description from the entire Engine Assembly to the Rear Axle Assembly. A simple Tune does not negate an entire drivetrain warranty. The only problem I know of that's happened from poor Tunes are the #8 piston issue. Outside of that, there hasn't been any normal problems occurring, and there are literally thousands of parts and components that are not affected by the Tune.

As for the Ford Racing Pro Cal Tune and the warranty, Ford would not offer a Tune through their Ford Racing Parts program that would cause damage to the engine and void blanket drivetrain warranties. If Ford and Ford Racing was concerned about warranty liability, they would not offer it at all without very clearly stating that it would Void your warranty, and is for Off-Road/Race use only.

As for other Tunes, on my previous 2011 GT and 2012 GT, I tried various Steeda and Bama Tunes with mixed results. I did not like the driveability of those Tunes, the shift programming harshness or shift points for the automatic, and especially the surging throttle. Most of these Tunes were too aggressive for a daily driver, especially for a commuter car in which I just wanted slight improvements.

Back to the Ford Racing Pro Cal Tune, I'm 43 yrs old, and while I enjoy the power and sporting nature of my GT, I was also seeking overall refinement and response from a Tune over the factory Tune. The Pro Cal Tune on my 2014 GT Auto is just that, a nice refinement over the factory program. IMO, the Ford Racing Tune should be the factory Tune, even my average MPG increased by 2 MPG as well.

As for the Warranty, the Ford Racing warranty is a separate or supplemental warranty from the factory warranty, if installed by a Ford Dealer. It does not mean that extended warranties purchased with the car remain 100% intact if a warranty condition occurs that Ford deems unwarrantable. The Ford Racing warranty kicks in and covers certain items that Ford could deem unwarrantable under the standard warranty, such as a #8 piston.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Very informative.
Hack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies on this fella's. My father just decided and ordered a pro cal tune directly from Ford racing. After this thread and speaking with Ford racing my father is fully aware of the pro cal's capabilities and lack there of. At this current time he is only looking to fix the delayed acceleration response and as of now has no interest in power modding it.

His only reason for choosing the pro cal is to keep the 3yr 36 month bumper to bumver warranty and no other. His philosophy is if in three years his needs change and the factory warranty is up, he can always spend an additional $379 dollars and use another aftermarket tuning company.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT