RTR decklid purchased! - Page 10 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #316
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
New decklid and some money back would be fair compensation I would think.

Something along those lines, yes. I don't get WHY, RTR had to make this such an agonizing, intricate deal. This piece could've easily of been replicated to fit exactly like the original equipment. With NO fear of rusting. It just wasn't thought out, and not enough R&D, if any, took place. And it's not like they have eons of time or anything.....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #317
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Finally got some close up pictures (as best as I could with an iPhone) and the edges of my panel are basically covered in areas that look like this...

(hopefully the pics are in order of the upcoming descriptions)

First pic: If you look closely, you can see the 'teeth' edging of the panel in the circle AS WELL as the bare metal in the corner. Also, you notice how it is visibly lighter/greyish in that area? It makes me think that they produced it, f'd it up, used a walmart touch up pen to try and fix it. I have 4-5 areas like this around the panel.

Second pic: More steel being revealed, accompanied by minor 'teeth' dents

Third pic: Another walmart pen touch up it seems. As well as the metal revealed across the whole left side of the panel. This spot is actually massive. You see a huge lighter/greyish area in the whole circle.

This is why I've held off on installing this piece. What if these defects cause it to rust? What if this starts to flake/bubble/peel off? Then what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTR Decklid Panel (4).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	168610   Click image for larger version

Name:	RTR Decklid Panel (7).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	168611  

Name:	RTR Decklid Panel (8).JPG
Views:	227
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	168612  
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #318
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Finally got some close up pictures (as best as I could with an iPhone) and the edges of my panel are basically covered in areas that look like this...

First pic: If you look closely, you can see the 'teeth' edging of the panel in the circle AS WELL as the bare metal in the corner. Also, you notice how it is visibly lighter/greyish in that area? It makes me think that they produced it, f'd it up, used a walmart touch up pen to try and fix it. I have 4-5 areas like this around the panel.

Third pic: Another walmart pen touch up it seems. As well as the metal revealed across the whole left side of the panel. This spot is actually massive. You see a huge lighter/greyish area in the whole circle.

This is why I've held off on installing this piece. What if these defects cause it to rust? What if this starts to flake/bubble/peel off? Then what?

Awful, just friggin awful. I'm sorry brother, mine wasn't even in that bad of condition. This just keeps getting worse and worse. VG Jr. needs to see these pieces of crap. You can even tell in that first pic the quality of the powder coat. It looks like absolute horsecrap in the reflexion. And you're thinking exactly what I am. How will this hold up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #319
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I sent pics of mine (ones posted earlier) to RTR so we will see if they say anything. Depending I can promose last RTR anything I'd ever get.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #320
Registered Member
Regular

Naples, which email address did you send to? I'll do the same. The more that go to the exact same place, the bigger the impact it may have.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #321
Registered Member
Regular

I don't blame you. I said earlier that I was looking to purchase the 3 piece rear splitter kit from them. Depending on what happens, I may or may not purely out of principle.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #322
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414443700.856745.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	168624

From far away, it looks excellent! Lol

Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #323
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Attachment 168624

From far away, it looks excellent! Lol

From far away, I want it. Haha.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #324
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From far away, I want it. Haha.

Lol right? It looks sexy. It's kinda like when you're drunk and you think you've spotted a hot girl at the bar. So you make your way over there and upon further investigation, she looks like Krusty the clown.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #325
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol right? It looks sexy. It's kinda like when you're drunk and you think you've spotted a hot girl at the bar. So you make your way over there and upon further investigation, she looks like Krusty the clown.

Hahaha, perfect analogy.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #326
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Yuck. That junk would never touch my car. It looks like that they had some dude named Skeeter touch everything up with a Sharpie last minute.

Definitely take it up with RTR.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #327
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yuck. That junk would never touch my car. It looks like that they had some dude named Skeeter touch everything up with a Sharpie last minute.

Definitely take it up with RTR.

Skeeter Valentine. I got a strange inclination RTR isn't going to do a damn thing, but it is wishful thinking Joey

Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #328
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just received my tracking number for the unicorn....now im really having second thoughts after all of these horror stories
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #329
Registered Member
Regular

I just sent RTR an email with my concerns. Gave them a deadline of Friday, Oct 31, 2014 to research what went wrong in the process and what solutions they come up with.

Gotta give people a deadline to get things done, right?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #330
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Just received my tracking number for the unicorn....now im really having second thoughts after all of these horror stories
Hopefully yours is the exception. Definitely look it over top to bottom when you get it.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #331
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Just hope for the best bro. Take the plunge! Lol

Quote:
I just sent RTR an email with my concerns. Gave them a deadline of Friday, Oct 31, 2014 to research what went wrong in the process and what solutions they come up with.

Gotta give people a deadline to get things done, right?
I like your style, report the response immediately.

Quote:
Hopefully yours is the exception. Definitely look it over top to bottom when you get it.

Most definitely. If I couldn't fix this thing for relatively cheap, I'd mail it to VG's house with a dead skunk in a box.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #332
Road Trip!

Rtr is more than willing to fix this. I have been upset too, but they are handling it well. Jess has been great about everything. I think if we just bare with rtr, all of this will sort itself out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #333
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Rtr is more than willing to fix this. I have been upset too, but they are handling it well. Jess has been great about everything. I think if we just bare with rtr, all of this will sort itself out.

Well Jess is just a rep, so I'm not upset with her. At this point it's hard to pinpoint WHO to be upset with lol. She give you any deets Mikey?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #334
Registered Member
Regular

Vaughn. He's the head of RTR
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #335
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well Jess is just a rep, so I'm not upset with her. At this point it's hard to pinpoint WHO to be upset with lol. She give you any deets Mikey?

the suppliers are to blame, not rtr I guess. Although rtr could have checked them before sending. But they've only been aware of these problems for a short time and they were just trying to get the panels to us fast. A replacement might take a while, but I think rtr will make everything right. I'm ok with waiting as long as the panel is defect free and I don't have to worry about it rusting.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #336
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Vaughn. He's the head of RTR

I bet he has no clue what's going on with quality control of this thing though...

Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #337
Road Trip!

Here's mine

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1414453728845.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	168632  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #338
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bet he has no clue what's going on with quality control of this thing though...

Probably true
Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #339
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the suppliers are to blame, not rtr I guess. Although rtr could have checked them before sending. But they've only been aware of these problems for a short time and they were just trying to get the panels to us fast. A replacement might take a while, but I think rtr will make everything right. I'm ok with waiting as long as the panel is defect free and I don't have to worry about it rusting.

I am in no way saying you're wrong Mikey, but I find that hard to believe with BBR...Steve was awesome throughout the whole process and he's even more upset about it than I am because he ordered one for himself as well. He was definitely being genuine as to when he found out they'd be shipped. I just think it's exactly what you just said. It was rushed. But it's hard to believe they were truly rushed because they only made 200 of them and I waited 3 and a half months for a crap product. I could imagine a replacement will take FOREVER. I'm just going to have my body shop do their best with it.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #340
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's mine

Mikey, the car is flippin sexy. I see you have the rear splitter kit and the license plate surrounds...nasty. That's exactly what I want.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #341
Registered Member
Regular

Once they sort this out, I'll be ordering all the RTR appearance parts.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

After about 2k worth of suspension parts.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #342
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Once they sort this out, I'll be ordering all the RTR appearance parts.

I totally want to as well minus the front chin spoiler and rear wing only because I have the Roush kit and I want either a shelby wing or some sort of duck bill-type wing. Man, I gotta start buying some go fast mods lol.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #343
Road Trip!

Quote:
I am in no way saying you're wrong Mikey, but I find that hard to believe with BBR...Steve was awesome throughout the whole process and he's even more upset about it than I am because he ordered one for himself as well. He was definitely being genuine as to when he found out they'd be shipped. I just think it's exactly what you just said. It was rushed. But it's hard to believe they were truly rushed because they only made 200 of them and I waited 3 and a half months for a crap product. I could imagine a replacement will take FOREVER. I'm just going to have my body shop do their best with it.

I mean the supplier as in the company rtr used to make the panel. Not the vendors we bought them from. BBR, AM, stang mods...they were all great I'm sure.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #344
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean the supplier as in the company rtr used to make the panel. Not the vendors we bought them from. BBR, AM, stang mods...they were all great I'm sure.

Oh oh gotcha, my bad. Of course she didn't divulge that sensitive information did she? Because they're a bunch of freakin hacks!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #345
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally want to as well minus the front chin spoiler and rear wing only because I have the Roush kit and I want either a shelby wing or some sort of duck bill-type wing. Man, I gotta start buying some go fast mods lol.

Nice. I wonder what my ground clearance will be like with the FRPP 1 inch springs and the RTR chin spoiler. Speed bump issues?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #346
Registered Member
Regular

No, not on the chin spoiler, but my BMR LCA relo brackets love scraping off of them

Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #347
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Go fast parts are the best ones
Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #348
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, not on the chin spoiler, but my BMR LCA relo brackets love scraping off of them

Do you think that the RTR chin spoiler and 1 inch lowering springs would cause issues?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #349
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go fast parts are the best ones

Truth. I wanted to take care of suspension, and wheels/tires, then dive into the motor. So I guess I went a little overboard lol. But the way I look at things, all I'm going to really buy is a full exhaust and then more than likely buy a Vortech kit from Beefcake Racing. No real point getting an intake, tuner, etc, separately.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #350
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you think that the RTR chin spoiler and 1 inch lowering springs would cause issues?

Nope. I really don't think so. Not an inch. I'm probably 1.5-1.7 inches lowered all around and I have a helluva driveway at both home and work to get into with surprisingly no clearance issues. I'm decently low Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414455830.870780.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	168634

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT