RTR decklid purchased! - Page 21 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #701
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Coyote, I would just take it to a reputable body shop. It may get costly because it's going to be "custom" work, but I've always told myself if someone rear ended me, that would be what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 AM   #702
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Are they going to make a higher quality version of this?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 AM   #703
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Are they going to make a higher quality version of this?

That's the rumor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #704
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got the same one and ask my friend to plastic dip
It flat black to match my roush hood vents
Ibad5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #705
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
RTR decklid purchased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Coyote, I would just take it to a reputable body shop. It may get costly because it's going to be "custom" work, but I've always told myself if someone rear ended me, that would be what I would do.

Yeah, I was going to try and be innovative (cheap) and do it myself but I might just have to do that.

If I do take mine in I'll just have them fabricate me a replica made of a more solid material and powder coat em then I'll go ahead and distribute them to everyone online who wants one. $300 a piece. That's very generously assuming that labor, materials and paint are under that price for such a limited production to complete them...which is funny because I'm sure they have some children working in some unventilated warehouse or basement with 1800's era coal mining hazardous conditions over in China and they couldn't have spent $10 to make my authentic RTR panel that cost $300 or something ridiculous I believe.

Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #706
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Yeah, I was going to try and be innovative (cheap) and do it myself but I might just have to do that.

If I do take mine in I'll just have them fabricate me a replica made of a more solid material and powder coat em then I'll go ahead and distribute them to everyone online who wants one. $300 a piece. That's very generously assuming that labor, materials and paint are under that price for such a limited production to complete them...which is funny because I'm sure they have some children working in some unventilated warehouse or basement with 1800's era coal mining hazardous conditions over in China and they couldn't have spent $10 to make my authentic RTR panel that cost $300 or something ridiculous I believe.

Epic rant of the century and I love it lol. Seriously though, you'd think that they would've done better with such a sought after piece....I'm just happy I have one and it hasn't began to rust yet lol.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #707
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Epic rant of the century and I love it lol. Seriously though, you'd think that they would've done better with such a sought after piece....I'm just happy I have one and it hasn't began to rust yet lol.

Isn't it better that they're so screwed up and off the market? Since we have one We own rare pieces of automobile history.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #708
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Isn't it better that they're so screwed up and off the market? Since we have one We own rare pieces of automobile history.

Yeah I suppose you're right! Lol

Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #709
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol thank you, but yeah yours looks good with the white paint. Did that make it feel any more sturdy? Rust, ah what a nightmare.

Die I think you're right. It is a remarkably sought out item that I cannot understand why there isn't a product on the market exactly like the oem material with the RTR styling and hell they might even sacrifice the .0005 cents on the dollar to even make them with and indention on the back that relieves you of the disheartening massive hole you have to cut out. Eventually someone has to finally do that. But we have the originals so even though we sacrificed the quality, engineering, structural integrity, finish and superior mounting & attachment methods that could have been, but originals are rare for sure. Id go as far as to say they that there are no 2 alike and that's saying something.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #710
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Lol thank you, but yeah yours looks good with the white paint. Did that make it feel any more sturdy? Rust, ah what a nightmare.

Die I think you're right. It is a remarkably sought out item that I cannot understand why there isn't a product on the market exactly like the oem material with the RTR styling and hell they might even sacrifice the .0005 cents on the dollar to even make them with and indention on the back that relieves you of the disheartening massive hole you have to cut out. Eventually someone has to finally do that. But we have the originals so even though we sacrificed the quality, engineering, structural integrity, finish and superior mounting & attachment methods that could have been, but originals are rare for sure. Id go as far as to say they that there are no 2 alike and that's saying something.

Sturdy? I'm not really sure, but it held up all last winter. Not really sure what it looks like underneath at this point, but as long as rust doesn't start creeping through, I'm content lol. And I agree, it's nice having such a rare piece of mustang history! Lol

Old 08-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #711
Registered Member
Regular

Aaaaaaand I spoke too soon. It's almost like when I wrote that last post, the decklid said, "oh yeah? There's nothing wrong with me? Well F you!" Because now rust is beginning to creep up under where the lid meets the actual trunk.....not good. I'm going to have to have my body guy rip it off and see what's going on under there and fix it.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #712
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Aaaaaaand I spoke too soon. It's almost like when I wrote that last post, the decklid said, "oh yeah? There's nothing wrong with me? Well F you!" Because now rust is beginning to creep up under where the lid meets the actual trunk.....not good. I'm going to have to have my body guy rip it off and see what's going on under there and fix it.

Your body guy do a poop job at prepping?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #713
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

In my experience with these (friends that started to rust) the edge of the panel is so sharp and the coating so thin that this is where the rust starts. I'm guessing even though yours was painted that the back edge wasn't a focus and this lead to the result you have now. Sucks
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #714
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
In my experience with these (friends that started to rust) the edge of the panel is so sharp and the coating so thin that this is where the rust starts. I'm guessing even though yours was painted that the back edge wasn't a focus and this lead to the result you have now. Sucks

You said it exactly. The edges are extremely sharp and it seems to be impossible to paint to adhere to it properly....I'll see what I can do.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #715
Registered Member
Regular

I touched up the edges. I'm not really sure what it looks like underneath, but I did find this little bundle of joy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439072983.076674.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	188871

It's a crap piece, I know this, but I'm a little perturbed with my body guy at this point. I'll have to pay him a visit on Monday and have this redone.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #716
Registered Member
Regular

Can't remember if I posted my pics or not but here was mine lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439073345.381942.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	188873

Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #717
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't remember if I posted my pics or not but here was mine lol. Attachment 188873

Oh my good lord...I would think that would to be expected with the shoddy powder coat job from RTR themselves, but not with actual proper prep and paint.....I'm not quite sure when this began, but I just started to look at it this week while washing and noticed the edges, then this....did you even try to salvage your piece Die?

Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #718
Registered Member

Regular

Here is diesevens

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439074123.298110.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	188876

I sand blasted it, did body work to it and it's about to get a clear coat.

It was pretty bad

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439074211.424354.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	188877

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439074256.027838.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	188878
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #719
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is diesevens

Attachment 188876

I sand blasted it, did body work to it and it's about to get a clear coat.

It was pretty bad

Attachment 188877

Attachment 188878

Damn Holmes...looks great. I think what we have here, is my body guy failed to paint the entire piece, front AND back side. Water, and moisture obviously got in, and this is what we have...

Old 08-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #720
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Damn Holmes...looks great. I think what we have here, is my body guy failed to paint the entire piece, front AND back side. Water, and moisture obviously got in, and this is what we have...

Thanks man. It's not to big of a panel to do and I am hoping it looks presentable when it's back on his car.

Another theory I have about yours before you get too upset at your body guy is that the panel was not prepped correctly under the crappy RTR powder coat. DiESEven's had spots on the back where the coating had bubbled but was not exposed at all to the elements. There was rust on it before it ever got coated. So if your body guy didn't blast all that old crap off (and I'm sure he didn't because in most situations that's not necessary), it might have developed after he painted it.

Those bubbles you have look identical to DiESeven's before I stripped it.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #721
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man. It's not to big of a panel to do and I am hoping it looks presentable when it's back on his car.

Another theory I have about yours before you get too upset at your body guy is that the panel was not prepped correctly under the crappy RTR powder coat. DiESEven's had spots on the back where the coating had bubbled but was not exposed at all to the elements. There was rust on it before it ever got coated. So if your body guy didn't blast all that old crap off (and I'm sure he didn't because in most situations that's not necessary), it might have developed after he painted it.

Those bubbles you have look identical to DiESeven's before I stripped it.

Hey man I'm at your mercy here, you're probably right. Gotta get to the bottom of this come Monday because as well all know rust is like cancer. My guy did it as a side job and while I have a great relationship with him, there's probably a good chance he just rushed through the prep. I'm hoping for the the best.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:11 AM   #722
Registered Member
Regular

Damn guys, I thought my panel was looking poor(relative to the understood quality maximum being: poor) but DIE before that paint job was terrifying. I was worried about that coming around eventually just not this soon. I know that the initial application I was worried about this sort of thing so I used some of that squirt tube 3m gasket maker and lined it around all the sides, I feel like that helped a lot. This time just to be safe I spray black enamel on the back for added protection. Good luck guys, hope things get worked out for the best.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #723
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Someone on here must have the skills and ability to duplicate this piece or even make one very similar and sell it. There is a steady desire from quite a few 13-14 owners that want one and expressed interest for a long time.
It's one of those appearance mods that actually really alters the look of the Mustang, also allows for putting a different emblem of your preference in the center of the panel or paint matching it and leaving it a blank clean panel look.
There are some still out there for sure but it is very rare to see another Mustang with one installed.
It's even showcased in that Need for Speed Mustang movie except they also added the running pony emblem like the new Ecoboost.
Excellent product if manufactured correctly and pretty secure indication of buyers is a win.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #724
Registered Member
Regular

They need to make one out of the current oem material.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #725
Registered Member

Regular

RTR decklid purchased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Someone on here must have the skills and ability to duplicate this piece or even make one very similar and sell it. There is a steady desire from quite a few 13-14 owners that want one and expressed interest for a long time.

Cats out of the bag

I am making a similar version out of fiberglass.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #726
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cats out of the bag

I am making a similar version out of fiberglass.

Oh boy!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #727
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	188959  
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #728
Registered Member

Regular

I should have a prototype this week. I will let you guys know when they are ready to go.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #729
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I should have a prototype this week. I will let you guys know when they are ready to go.
I will buy one :thumbup:
Been looking for a RTR one 4awhile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #730
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Just don't get too ahead of yourself and sell more than you can supply!
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #731
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

But how am I supposed to run an HIDGUY scam then?!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #732
Registered Member

Regular

I will not take payments for any until they are made and ready. I would never want to have someone's cash sitting over my head.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #733
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
But how am I supposed to run an HIDGUY scam then?!

We can start a business like that! Seems pretty easy lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #734
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Lol I see what you did there.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #735
Registered Member
Regular

And you could throw in one of these tornado air intake swirly things so we get a horsepower boost and a cool deck lid.
How much HP does just the deck lid come with?
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT