New guy questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
New guy questions

I just got a base 2011 GT with manual transmission. I'm pretty sure I have a base model, it has cloth non power seats, single disc cd, non shaker stereo, only cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.
There is a Sirius button but when I push it, it says no sat. I guess I don't have the required hardware to just subscribe to it? There's no antenna besides the stick antenna anywhere I can see.
There's a phone button, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is it useless without Sync?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Region: Georgia
Yes phone button is useless without sync and the sat button is useless without the hardware for Sirius.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
smittybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I just got a base 2011 GT with manual transmission. I'm pretty sure I have a base model, it has cloth non power seats, single disc cd, non shaker stereo, only cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.
There is a Sirius button but when I push it, it says no sat. I guess I don't have the required hardware to just subscribe to it? There's no antenna besides the stick antenna anywhere I can see.
There's a phone button, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is it useless without Sync?
To get Sirius, you need to call them (google for their web site) and provide them your VIN. They will set you up with the service, as your Mustang's radio is Sirius capable. The antenna is the "stub" on the back center trunk lid. When the Mustang was new (I assume you bought it used?), it most likely came with a few free months of Sirius service.

Word of advice; don't take the first offer the Sirius folks offer you. They may quote you a hundred (or more) bucks for one year. You should be able to get them down to about 30 bucks for 6 months. They will then set you up on "auto billing" which means they will automatically bill your account for the FULL amount after your "trial" period ends. Call them one month prior to your trial ending, and tell them you no longer want the service, unless they give you "another deal". You can get these deals renewed once or twice, then the full amount will be your only choice. My wife and my car have not had Sirius for about 4 months now, and we are getting the "please come back" offers for 25 bucks for 6 months service.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Base model doesn't have the Sirius receiver. The radio is capable of working with it so has the button. But without the actual Sirius receiver attached it can't get the signal. That's why he only has the AM/FM antenna and no 'bug' on the trunk lid.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Yup, no bug on the trunk.
Is there an inexpensive way to make this base stereo better? Amplified sub in the trunk maybe? Any recommendations, I know nothing about stereos.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Crutchfield.com I went with sound ordnance all around speakers and am enclosed 8" sub already amped paid about $200 for everything sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
borteg227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I added a fosgate 10 powered unit and tied it up against the back seat in the trunk. Got it off amazon for less than 200 bucks if I remember correctly. Sounds great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
What if you don't remember correctly

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
What if you don't remember correctly

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007AQ2W2Q

I remembered correctly. But probably over 200 with a wiring kit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My car came with a 6 month Sirius subscription but honestly I just listen to the exhaust most of the time.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not even sure my radio works. I've never turned it on. No need to. I bought a 5.0 for a reason. If I wanted to listen to the radio over the sound of my car I would have bought the V6. Enough power to get into trouble and much better gas mileage. Get yourself a nice axleback system, roll the windows down, and stop f-ing with the damn radio.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol DWoody. Sumed that up

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mustanggt2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT