2013+ 5.0 #8 failure - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013+ 5.0 #8 failure

I was wondering if any of you have come across this on the newer 5.0's after they have been tuned. I have 14 5.0 with 3800 miles and was thinking about a tune eventually. Also some mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StangFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I tuned my at 1200 miles, and 3,000 miles later I'm still good

2014 Black 5.0 - Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Bassani Axle backs
BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bama tunes, and the stock tune are the worst things for your motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The stock tune is the worst thing for your motor.

Damn it I keep telling my parents that, still no luck. I guess if the motor blows before warranty is up, that would convince them, but I think that's the only thing that will...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just tune it, they will never know. Order a tune/ tuner from VMP.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Damn it I keep telling my parents that, still no luck. I guess if the motor blows before warranty is up, that would convince them, but I think that's the only thing that will...
Once your warranty is halfway up or more that may change things... it is hard for people who are not into modifying cars to imagine losing a warranty on a basically new $35,000 car. When you have worked for decades and pay the bills on it, something like a $400 tuner to take away the safety net on what could be thousands of dollars of damages is hard to comprehend, especially when you are not the one who drives it and you aren't into modifying it. I'm not sure how old you are, I'm guessing 17 or 18 or around there, but with college bills on top of the cost of that GT, voiding your warranty to be a little faster is probably the last thing your parents want to hear. Their mindset is "We got you a $35,000 400+ HP car, be satisfied for a little. You have a lot of years ahead of you. It'll get done eventually.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Ask forgiveness, not permission
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:

Dad: wow, I don't remember the throttle response being this sensitive.
Son: Yeah dad, I put Advance Trac to sport mode...
Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Once your warranty is halfway up or more that may change things... it is hard for people who are not into modifying cars to imagine losing a warranty on a basically new $35,000 car. When you have worked for decades and pay the bills on it, something like a $400 tuner to take away the safety net on what could be thousands of dollars of damages is hard to comprehend, especially when you are not the one who drives it and you aren't into modifying it. I'm not sure how old you are, I'm guessing 17 or 18 or around there, but with college bills on top of the cost of that GT, voiding your warranty to be a little faster is probably the last thing your parents want to hear. Their mindset is "We got you a $35,000 400+ HP car, be satisfied for a little. You have a lot of years ahead of you. It'll get done eventually.
Yeah. I do definitely understand, and heck, I probably wouldn't be bugging them about that if it wasn't for y'all!

Suspension on the other hand, that's a 3 year warranty, so if I had the money, I will be lowering it an inch.

Oh, and buying Brembo Brakes, gonna see if I can find ones off a Track Pack, or the Boss. If not, I'll order the OEM kit. I've only found a similar one on Vorshlag. It is the OEM Brembo's, with upgraded brake pads and rotors.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Dad: wow, I don't remember the throttle response being this sensitive.
Son: Yeah dad, I put Advance Trac to sport mode...
Haha! He's only rode in it once. I'm the only one that's driven it Advance Trac lives on Sport Mode.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. I do definitely understand, and heck, I probably wouldn't be bugging them about that if it wasn't for y'all!

Suspension on the other hand, that's a 3 year warranty, so if I had the money, I will be lowering it an inch.

Oh, and buying Brembo Brakes, gonna see if I can find ones off a Track Pack, or the Boss. If not, I'll order the OEM kit. I've only found a similar one on Vorshlag. It is the OEM Brembo's, with upgraded brake pads and rotors.
My suspension warranty is up in 2 or 3 months, I will be picking up lowering springs, adj. panhard bar, and camber bolts tomorrow! Excited to get rid of the horrible wheel gap.

And trust me, I totally understand where you are coming from. I am only 21 myself, and my parents bought me my car as well. I only got into modding it about 5 months ago and I have already done so much. My dad did not want me tuning it either, for the exact warranty reason, but I figured I had 25k miles on it, if something was going to go it would have gone by now, told him I had gotten a great deal on a tuner and had ordered it. He was still pretty against it, but he took the car to go golfing during the next few days and came back and hasn't said anything since LOL! Just said, wow, that's definitely not stock anymore, that thing is fast. Has not said one thing to me about a warranty since, and he will be going to the AM show tomorrow with me. He used to love cars, had a beautiful z28 and then a foxbody when he was younger, then got a 2005 GTO with a corvette engine in it, but my mom drowned it 4 years ago...... My mother and I will be splitting the cost of a corvette for him in a year or two, he's had health troubles lately and it's what he has always wanted. Can't wait to see the look on his face! After that I will be procharging/turboing my 3.7 or going up to a GT and throwing a SC in it. Just get the tuner and don't tell anyone, turn it back to stock if you ever go in tot he dealer, no1 will ever know!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Trying to convince people that the stock tune is bad for the stock motor probably isn't an easy sell.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I may end up doing that. If I do, I'd order a Steeda tune though, never had an issue, and they work with Ford if an issue ever does come up and they blame a tune.

What I really want would obliterate my warranty.
Cobra Jet Intake manifold, the Super cobra jet monoblade throttle body, FRPP CAI, cams, and headers... all that will be years from now... except for the headers, and maybe tune.

For suspension I've been thinking for the FRPP P springs, or Steeda Sport springs, PH bar, and not sure what else I'd need.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Trying to convince people that the stock tune is bad for the stock motor probably isn't an easy sell.
Nope. Even if it's true.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may end up doing that. If I do, I'd order a Steeda tune though, never had an issue, and they work with Ford if an issue ever does come up and they blame a tune.

What I really want would obliterate my warranty.
Cobra Jet Intake manifold, the Super cobra jet monoblade throttle body, FRPP CAI, cams, and headers... all that will be years from now... except for the headers, and maybe tune.

For suspension I've been thinking for the FRPP P springs, or Steeda Sport springs, PH bar, and not sure what else I'd need.
Not sure about the GTs, so don't quote me on this, but for anything more than a 1.5' drop you should do caster camber plates. I'm sure you could get away with out them as others have, but idk I don't like risking my suspension. I'm going with the SR lowering springs, BMR adj. panhard bar, and Eibach camber bolts
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I'm going with a 1 inch or 1.25 inch drop. So would I just need the springs and PH bar, and obviously, an alignment.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. I'm going with a 1 inch or 1.25 inch drop. So would I just need the springs and PH bar, and obviously, an alignment.
Correct. Springs, adj. panhard bar, and I would get the Eibach camber bolts just to make the alignment easier on your front end. For $30 why not.
Eibach Mustang Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts 5.81260K (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Dang, only 30 bucks! Yeah, I'll get them.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's a lot easier to void the warranty on something you didn't pay for. Just like its easy for me to tell you to get a tune - not my money, not my loss . As a kid, you think about these things a lot more when its your own money at risk which is why my parents never bought me a car. With that said, I'm only 24 and I've done just about everything short of forced induction.. but its my name on the loan and my money if something breaks.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Not sure about the GTs, so don't quote me on this, but for anything more than a 1.5' drop you should do caster camber plates. I'm sure you could get away with out them as others have, but idk I don't like risking my suspension. I'm going with the SR lowering springs, BMR adj. panhard bar, and Eibach camber bolts
I pretty much have that same set up but I have koni struts/shocks all around. Might wanna think about picking some up. Also maybe some GT500 strut mounts. A lot more beefier than the stock GT units

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
It's a lot easier to void the warranty on something you didn't pay for. Just like its easy for me to tell you to get a tune - not my money, not my loss . As a kid, you think about these things a lot more when its your own money at risk which is why my parents never bought me a car. With that said, I'm only 24 and I've done just about everything short of forced induction.. but its my name on the loan and my money if something breaks.
Oh, I'd be paying for repairs once I get a job. If I broke something and my warranty was voided, instead of expiring. They would pay for it now, but I'd be paying them back once I get a job.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, I'd be paying for repairs once I get a job. If I broke something and my warranty was voided, instead of expiring. They would pay for it now, but I'd be paying them back once I get a job.
As it should be! Though I doubt a tune would cause any problems. The likelihood is very minimal

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I had the Track Key done on mine and love it, granted you will not set the world on fire but your Dad would be more than happy with the difference you can definitely feel it I the seat and response and the lopey idle.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
I

I pretty much have that same set up but I have koni struts/shocks all around. Might wanna think about picking some up. Also maybe some GT500 strut mounts. A lot more beefier than the stock GT units

I wish, it's just not in the budget right now =/ tuition bill was just payed, picking up a lowering kit, Borla s-types, headers, Roush valance, and a few other things tomorrow, plus I need to get new tires and I'm putting the GT brakes on my car when I lower it. I will do shocks and struts when I do upper and lower LCA's and rear stb with the steeda trunk brace, maybe even bag it eventually
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As it should be! Though I doubt a tune would cause any problems. The likelihood is very minimal

I agree. It should be like that. But since it's that way, I think I should be able to do some mods. I do basically have my parents OK to lower the car, just don't have the money right now.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Unless he needs warranty service for something for the powertrain like transmission and gets denied lol. Then his *** will be grounded lol.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree. It should be like that. But since it's that way, I think I should be able to do some mods. I do basically have my parents OK to lower the car, just don't have the money right now.

Only $300 for SR lowering springs, adj. pan hard bar, and eibach camber bolts. You can install yourself
Tuner is $400

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Only 200 for FRPP springs, 250 for the FRPP panhard bar.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Only 200 for FRPP springs, 250 for the FRPP panhard bar.

That's crazy expensive for the pan hard bar. I'm getting a BMR adjustable one for $145, BMR is amazing quality

Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have no experience and know anything about SR... But don't cheap out on a $35k car. There's the cheap /easy way to do things, and then there's the right way to do things.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have no experience and know anything about SR... But don't cheap out on a $35k car. There's the cheap /easy way to do things, and then there's the right way to do things.

Yeah, for suspension, I'm getting all the FRPP and steeda parts I can.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The SR performance springs are great! Been highly recommended by a lot of people who's opinions I trust. Anything more than a 1.5 inch drop I would go with Eibachs.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda and bmr are the two companies I'd stick with for suspension. For shocks/struts koni.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

lol is the title wrong for this thread? I'm confused.......

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Things changed quickly . Suddenly became a tune vs suspension thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT