New 5.0 owner - Some questions on my 1st upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
New 5.0 owner - Some questions on my 1st upgrades

I'll keep this short. Wanting to slap a few must have upgrades on my automatic stock 2014. Excuse my ignorance as this is all new to me

I keep reading pros and cons on tuners.
Steeda or BAMA? The car will not see actual drag strip. Just a weekend cruiser so I don't want to run the car to hard and blow something. I've been reading the forums a bit and people keep mentioning BAMA runs tunes a little on the dangerous side? True? I don't have 93 octane where I live. Is it possible to have a 91 octane wild tune, a 91 octane tame, and a 91 fuel save tune for highway?

Ghost Cam - I love this sound! Possible damage by running ghost cam? Will BAMA or Steeda provide this tune?

I'll probably go with flowmaster outlaw axle backs for now then upgrade full header and X pipe

What is the resonator people keep saying they remove?

JLT CAI is on the list as well or just go with a combo pack with same brand tunner and CAI?

I got about $3,000 I'm gonna throw at the thing along with wheels and tires - So any other Must have Mustang goodies to get me up to speed and away from stock?
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. Steeda Tune / CAI combo is great.
2. Stay away from Ghost cam and focus on the right exhaust note. That "right" note is all personal preference.
3. Have you thought about suspension upgrades with your wheels? Lowering springs, adj. panhard, LCA's at the very least?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GTCS View Post
1. Steeda Tune / CAI combo is great.
2. Stay away from Ghost cam and focus on the right exhaust note. That "right" note is all personal preference.
3. Have you thought about suspension upgrades with your wheels? Lowering springs, adj. panhard, LCA's at the very least?

Well, I will go 20s with staggered fit. Probably from AM and just pick up a package. (I hate these stock wheels lol).

I really want loud and mean. I don't like the loud drone in the car, but I think to gain the sound of the outlaws, I will have to suck it up. Unless anyone can suggest something I should compare the outlaws to that have less drone.

Is there a negative effect of the "ghost cam" to the car? I know it's a little cheesy, but gotta admit, the sound gives me chills.

I have not given a lot of thought to lowering the car, mostly because I'm not sure how low I can go with 20s, and I'm 6'4'' and getting in and out is already a little "theatrical" to say the least.

Thank you very much for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Forget the ghost cam, I been doing more research on this forum.... looks like they do more harm then worth the cool sound. Void warranty, need no cats, lower MPG, and dumps fuel. I'll pass on that.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you want loud with little drone. Go with Roush axlebacks.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The ghost cam dumps fuel, runs rich, and if you have catalytic converters on (which you do unless you switch to an off road mid pipe) it will kill the cats. Most tuners will not offer the ghost cam if you still have cats on.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The ghost cam dumps fuel, runs rich, and if you have catalytic converters on (which you do unless you switch to an off road mid pipe) it will kill the cats. Most tuners will not offer the ghost cam if you still have cats on.

Yea and looks like they want you to have a manual trans as well.

Novel idea, sounds sweet - but surely not worth the head ache for prolonged use.

I'll check out the exhaust you suggest. Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

$3000 isn't much at all for upgrades considering that wheels/tires will run you about $2000 already for halfway decent set.

Since $$$ is low I would skip the CAI to save $2-300 and just get the tuner. I have BAMA and haven't had much issues or gripes with them. They've been reliable and responsive to all my requests and concerns.

Any tuner will be able to give you 91 octane tunes.

So lets say your budget now:
-$2200 rims/tires
-$400 tuner
=$400 remaining

This is really close to getting yourself an axleback with just a hundred or so shy of getting a quality one. If you don't want droning then go with the GT500. I'm ok with the roush but they are too raspy for my own tastes and if you go catless later they sound like you have an extra flap shardy skin on a raspy turd filled ***. Gross...

Resonator is a design in the exhaust system that serves to bounce exhaust pulses back against the outflow of the exhaust to help reduce the sound or otherwise change the tone/volume of the exhaust note. You can delete the resonator to give your axleback a slightly louder sound. If you go simple bolt-on without forced induction then an axleback and a resonator delete is all you really need. But personally I can tell the difference in the sound quality of a full diameter catback versus an AB with resonator delete that's why I think its worth an extra $200 or so for a catback system. But since your budgeted then you can skip the catback.

Now......... Stop until you save at least another $1000 for like a handling package like the Eibach Pro or Sport Kit. I'm assuming you don't know much about installing parts yourself so plan on another $5-800 for install fees at a shop. If you love your Stang right now you will absolutely love your Stang after lowering it. Night and day. Its probably a better upgrade than virtually anything you can do to your car performance wise.

Congratulations!!! After all this you'll be about $4-5,000 deep into modding your Stang. Would you like to do more? Lol

VERY IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:

1.) Tunes will 99% of the time void your power train warranty. Unless you're lucky to somehow circumvent the system should something break. Just had to put this out here for you cuz you stated "no" to ghost tune cuz voiding the warranty was one consideration.

2.) There is no cure once you get bit by the Mod Bug... Are you sure you wanna proceed? Lol
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
$3000 isn't much at all for upgrades considering that wheels/tires will run you about $2000 already for halfway decent set.

Since $$$ is low I would skip the CAI to save $2-300 and just get the tuner. I have BAMA and haven't had much issues or gripes with them. They've been reliable and responsive to all my requests and concerns.

Any tuner will be able to give you 91 octane tunes.

So lets say your budget now:
-$2200 rims/tires
-$400 tuner
=$400 remaining

This is really close to getting yourself an axleback with just a hundred or so shy of getting a quality one. If you don't want droning then go with the GT500. I'm ok with the roush but they are too raspy for my own tastes and if you go catless later they sound like you have an extra flap shardy skin on a raspy turd filled ***. Gross...

Resonator is a design in the exhaust system that serves to bounce exhaust pulses back against the outflow of the exhaust to help reduce the sound or otherwise change the tone/volume of the exhaust note. You can delete the resonator to give your axleback a slightly louder sound. If you go simple bolt-on without forced induction then an axleback and a resonator delete is all you really need. But personally I can tell the difference in the sound quality of a full diameter catback versus an AB with resonator delete that's why I think its worth an extra $200 or so for a catback system. But since your budgeted then you can skip the catback.

Now......... Stop until you save at least another $1000 for like a handling package like the Eibach Pro or Sport Kit. I'm assuming you don't know much about installing parts yourself so plan on another $5-800 for install fees at a shop. If you love your Stang right now you will absolutely love your Stang after lowering it. Night and day. Its probably a better upgrade than virtually anything you can do to your car performance wise.

Congratulations!!! After all this you'll be about $4-5,000 deep into modding your Stang. Would you like to do more? Lol

VERY IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:

1.) Tunes will 99% of the time void your power train warranty. Unless you're lucky to somehow circumvent the system should something break. Just had to put this out here for you cuz you stated "no" to ghost tune cuz voiding the warranty was one consideration.

2.) There is no cure once you get bit by the Mod Bug... Are you sure you wanna proceed? Lol

LOL Thank you for all that info! Of course, more answers lead to more questions.

I'm pretty much just hitting American Muscle and putting together everything I want done and wanting to order in a few days. Just second guessing my self. Internet opinions are like a55holes, everyone has them.

I'll be in to wheels and tires for about $1,500
I have Flowmaster Outlaw Catback Exhaust - Stainless Steel (13-14 GT) sitting in my cart along with JLT CAI and BAMA X4 Tuner (11-14 GT)
So with those and wheels I'm creeping on the $3,000 mark.

The second guessing is I keep reading a lot of hate for BAMA and a lot of people being directed to Steeda for tunes. However, AM has what appears to be an amazing customer service.

Can I get an opinion on CAI? I read that the Air Raid has a little more sound then the others?

So the cat back will get me the resonator delete?

No way around the tune voiding warranty? I've read both ways so far in my research, seems to be several anserws that go both ways. Like reflashing to stock before going in?

I'm addicted and haven't even pulled out the credit card yet lol. Shop is a close friend, so labor costs usually consists of being a tool monkey and a case of beer.

Again, thanks. I used to own a 88GT Fox back in early 2000s and forgot how big and supportive the Mustang community is.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Resonators, and yes, the dent is suppose to be there.

[COLOR="Silver"]
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well that was simple. So cat back it is.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
LOL Thank you for all that info! Of course, more answers lead to more questions.

I'm pretty much just hitting American Muscle and putting together everything I want done and wanting to order in a few days. Just second guessing my self. Internet opinions are like a55holes, everyone has them.

I'll be in to wheels and tires for about $1,500
I have Flowmaster Outlaw Catback Exhaust - Stainless Steel (13-14 GT) sitting in my cart along with JLT CAI and BAMA X4 Tuner (11-14 GT)
So with those and wheels I'm creeping on the $3,000 mark.

Can I get an opinion on CAI? I read that the Air Raid has a little more sound then the others?

So the cat back will get me the resonator delete?

No way around the turn voiding warranty? I've read both ways so far in my research, seems to be several anserws that go both ways. Like reflashing to stock before going in?

I'm addicted and haven't even pulled out the credit card yet lol. Shop is a close friend, so labor costs usually consists of being a tool monkey and a case of beer.
1.) Yes everyone has an opinion but just like with an ******* some opinions stink less than others and if you're talking about an ******* of the likes of Allesandra Ambrossio then there is no stink but potpourri and perfume.

2.) I have the AirAid. For the performance (horsepower) gains its really not worth the money. Don't listen to people who claim 15-25hp gains. You don't. Sorry. But I like my AirAid cuz of sound and looks but I don't do carshows so I'm 100% fine with the sound and the paltry 2hp or so gains.

3.) Catback gets rid of the resonator by way of a straight thru mandrel bent 3" tube design.

4.) Warranty... LMAO what's that? The only way around that is to be on a super cool first name basis with your service advisor, service manager, and happen to be at a dealership that is generally mod customer friendly who haven't really had a history of trying to push mod-voided warranty service onto Ford. Even then its not 100% fail proof. Re flashing to stock tune doesn't work if they dig deep enough and read your ECM for key strokes or whatever its called. Everytime you flash your ECM it updates a counter and date stamp I believe and only a dealership or ford can mod that without warranty issue so everything is on record. If you show up with 7 different stamps but your car is only 4 months old...

Any more questions for this "*******"?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
1.) Yes everyone has an opinion but just like with an ******* some opinions stink less than others and if you're talking about an ******* of the likes of Allesandra Ambrossio then there is no stink but potpourri and perfume.

2.) I have the AirAid. For the performance (horsepower) gains its really not worth the money. Don't listen to people who claim 15-25hp gains. You don't. Sorry. But I like my AirAid cuz of sound and looks but I don't do carshows so I'm 100% fine with the sound and the paltry 2hp or so gains.

3.) Catback gets rid of the resonator by way of a straight thru mandrel bent 3" tube design.

4.) Warranty... LMAO what's that? The only way around that is to be on a super cool first name basis with your service advisor, service manager, and happen to be at a dealership that is generally mod customer friendly who haven't really had a history of trying to push mod-voided warranty service onto Ford. Even then its not 100% fail proof. Re flashing to stock tune doesn't work if they dig deep enough and read your ECM for key strokes or whatever its called. Everytime you flash your ECM it updates a counter and date stamp I believe and only a dealership or ford can mod that without warranty issue so everything is on record. If you show up with 7 different stamps but your car is only 4 months old...

Any more questions for this "*******"?
Haha! I'm sure I could come up with a few more questions. Thanks for the input.

I haven't really dug in to what HP gains between the CAI are. I know some sound better then other with a kind of "wispy" sound. Did you have to drill the hole for your Air Raid for automatic?

I'm fully ok with admitting I'm a more show then go guy. Going to the track or beating the car to death racing isn't the plan. I'm more in it for just the sounds and friday night cruises. The car isn't really my daily driver (which of course it has 300 miles on it, sitting in the garage with a wool blanket while I pay the payments and drive a old beat up SUV to work lol)

Ah, the things a man with twins coming and midlife crisis will do to put a smile on his face.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha! I'm sure I could come up with a few more questions. Thanks for the input.

I haven't really dug in to what HP gains between the CAI are. I know some sound better then other with a kind of "wispy" sound. Did you have to drill the hole for your Air Raid for automatic?

I'm fully ok with admitting I'm a more show then go guy. Going to the track or beating the car to death racing isn't the plan. I'm more in it for just the sounds and friday night cruises. The car isn't really my daily driver (which of course it has 300 miles on it, sitting in the garage with a wool blanket while I pay the payments and drive a old beat up SUV to work lol)

Ah, the things a man with twins coming and midlife crisis will do to put a smile on his face.
Didnt have to drill for automatic. Then you'll be happy with the AirAid. The intake induction sound it makes over the stock air box is like a loud *** bear growling. It sucked harder and louder than Sasha Gray... And that's pretty damn loud, mean, and hard lol

How's that for bringing a smile to a midlife crisis guy's face? Lol
Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

who the hell is Sasha Gray and does she make house calls? (I gotta google image that one I'm guessing!)
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I drive a manual so I know nothing about drilling any holes for autos...
Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
who the hell is Sasha Gray and does she make house calls? (I gotta google image that one I'm guessing!)
I wish... Last I heard she retired at a ripe old age of like 25 or so and is now teaching elementary school lol

Makes me wanna have misbehaving kids just to take them to school and have to have parent teacher conference lol
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Resonators, and yes, the dent is suppose to be there.

[COLOR="Silver"]

Lol that's good to know. I got under the car when I bought it and was like what the crap is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I got . . . . For starting off with a $3,000 budget just to get me on the road and looking and sounding better then stock.... Worth hitting the "check out" button?

Flowmaster Outlaw Catback Exhaust - Stainless Steel (13-14 GT)
$769.99 $769.99 Staggered AMR Black Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14 All)
View product to select options $1,489.99 $1,489.99 SR Performance Strut Tower Brace & Lowering Spring Kit - Black (05-14 GT, V6)
$299.99 $299.99 Airaid Race CAI and BAMA X4 Tuner (11-14 GT)
$724.99 $724.99 *Subtotal does not include freight shipping charges for large items Subtotal:$3,284.96
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Just throw in an SR panhard rod and you should be good for a bit.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Just throw in an SR panhard rod and you should be good for a bit.

This?

SR Performance Adjustable Panhard Bar (05-14 All)

My credit card is getting warm in my wallet, I can feel it! Never been so excited to spend thousands of dollars.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Everything but the SR stuff.
You know they do not call them,
" ****ty replacements " for no reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Gotta give me insight on an alternative. Like showing a monkey to eat a banana instead of his own feces.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol my panhard rod and identical to BMR looking LCA's are working just fine from SR....poly bushings are poly bushings are poly bushings.....

Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The double adjustable SR panhard rod with spherical ends is fine. You'll be able to put your rear end back into spec after it shifts once lowered.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol my panhard rod and identical to BMR looking LCA's are working just fine from SR....poly bushings are poly bushings are poly bushings.....

Keep thinking that,
if you ever put down some real power you will see

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Gotta give me insight on an alternative. Like showing a monkey to eat a banana instead of his own feces.
Go with BMR springs or the Ford K or P spring

Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is the panhard bar required for lowering springs?
And 20x10 still fit ?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep thinking that,
if you ever put down some real power you will see

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Go with BMR springs or the Ford K or P spring

I plan on it so I'll let ya know

Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I plan on it so I'll let ya know

Lol oh I know.

This is why I don't like commenting on these threads. Everyone going to defend there crap, but when it comes down to the truth they will never know,

Some people listen, others won't

Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the panhard bar required for lowering springs?
And 20x10 still fit ?

It's used to center your rear end after it shifts once you lower it.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's used to center your rear end after it shifts once you lower it.

Well that sounds important lol.

On the fence about lowering it still though. I'm coming from a 2012 Nissan Titan with 8 in of lift, so getting in and out of the car was a huge difference.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol oh I know.

This is why I don't like commenting on these threads. Everyone going to defend there crap, but when it comes down to the truth they will never know,

Some people listen, others won't

I'm not defending anything lol. I know SR's rep is what it is. But for a panhard rod, and LCA's on a DD with occasionally drag use, they serve their purpose. If this was a full on weekend warrior, drag racer that was going to be abused day in and day out, it would be a different story. The LCA's have great welds, poly bushings. They'll hold up. The panhard, is a friggin panhard lol. It's adjustable, just like all the others with spherical bushings. Those along with a strut tower brace is all that I have from SR. I'm of the opinion that some areas can be cheaped out, and others cannot, but again, that's my opinion. They're holding up just fine. Just threw on my koni shocks last night, re greased everything and tightened everything up. Everything's good

Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well that sounds important lol.

On the fence about lowering it still though. I'm coming from a 2012 Nissan Titan with 8 in of lift, so getting in and out of the car was a huge difference.

If you wanna do it right, I'd go springs /struts/shocks/panhard/LCA relo's.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not defending anything lol. I know SR's rep is what it is. But for a panhard rod, and LCA's on a DD with occasionally drag use, they serve their purpose. If this was a full on weekend warrior, drag racer that was going to be abused day in and day out, it would be a different story. The LCA's have great welds, poly bushings. They'll hold up. The panhard, is a friggin panhard lol. It's adjustable, just like all the others with spherical bushings. Those along with a strut tower brace is all that I have from SR. I'm of the opinion that some areas can be cheaped out, and others cannot, but again, that's my opinion. They're holding up just fine. Just threw on my koni shocks last night, re greased everything and tightened everything up. Everything's good

Last thing I want is any sort of back and forth. Just a novice seeking the words of those that are driving and have been driving these cars. Car will prob never see a track, and it'll not see any add ons like super chargers or nitrous well until it's paid off.

Just want to look and sound good on me and the wife's date night and feel like I got something loud and mean under my ***.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you wanna do it right, I'd go springs /struts/shocks/panhard/LCA relo's.

Well if that's the case, I may leave the suspension alone until I can fork over some larger chunk of cash. The ride height isn't offensive to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT