Hurst MT-82 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hurst MT-82

If seen installation videos on the hurst short throws, but just curious whether or not I actually need to go understand the car for part of the install? Thanks guys!!!
Black302Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Yes you will have to lower the shifter bracket to get to the rear passenger side bolt on the shifter base
r_neck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
While you have the bracket lowered to do the install, A new poly shifter bracket bushing comes in the Hurst shifter kit, it works great for a low buck option to the billet brackets like the Barton two post. Or do the install of a 2 post, or similar, at the same time as your shifter install...
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_neck7 View Post
Yes you will have to lower the shifter bracket to get to the rear passenger side bolt on the shifter base
Unless you have a short socket and a wiggle extension, but you still have to get under it to take off the bushing and replace it with the new one

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408420791.861822.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	163849yes you will have to go under the car.. And you will absolutely need a 10mm deep socket. I had to make a 1am trip to Walmart to finish the job haha! But it's super easy under the car. You will love the shifter..... Just take your time lol reverse 1st and 3rd are practically on top of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Slomotion5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^^^
True!

Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTHIS View Post
^^^
True!

How is your 1-2 shift I'm still getting used to mine but it seems to be an odd motion going between 1st and 2nd

Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomotion5oh View Post
How is your 1-2 shift I'm still getting used to mine but it seems to be an odd motion going between 1st and 2nd

Its better, I still want to move the handle to the left side to see if its better than the right side , the instructions never said anything about which side to put it on so I went with what it looked like in one of the photos.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

the Hurst looks awesome, it really does! but the actual shifter itself is garbage, I couldnt take it for anymore than 2 days! the side to side is way to close and makes for miserable shifting. but thats not what you asked lol sorry, as far as install, its pretty straight forward, as said you will need to get under the car to lower the shift box to reach one of the shifter bolts, as well as install the new bushing Hurst includes, its all straight forward, but DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE 10mm NUTS OR YOU WILL BREAK A STUD
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Mmmmmm, I disagree, the Hurst is not 'garbage'. I really like my Hurst. To me it shifts great and has the classic 60's look I wanted. I got what I wanted with the Hurst. I hope you find the one that works for you... There is a good selection of shifters out there...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Mmmmmm, I disagree, the Hurst is not 'garbage'. I really like my Hurst. To me it shifts great and has the classic 60's look I wanted. I got what I wanted with the Hurst. I hope you find the one that works for you... There is a good selection of shifters out there...
I agree.... It's definitely a different feeling shifter but I personally love how crisp and sure it is. But I'd probably also love a MGW or Barton shifter If I had it. Point is I have the hurst and love it so Imma rock it for a while.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've had a Barton for over two years, I tried the Hurst because I just loved the look of it, but it just didn't work for me, the Barton is a night and day difference compared to the Hurst, I added the 2 post bracket right after Barton introduced it, made it even better. but as I said, the Hurst looks the part for sure, but the function for me was an awful experience

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I've had a Barton for over two years, I tried the Hurst because I just loved the look of it, but it just didn't work for me, the Barton is a night and day difference compared to the Hurst, I added the 2 post bracket right after Barton introduced it, made it even better. but as I said, the Hurst looks the part for sure, but the function for me was an awful experience

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
It was a very hard decision between the Barton and Hurst!!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hurst is nothing impressive. Everyone I know who had it, got rid of it. It's a good door stopper though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Which one would you guys recommend for those of you who own either the Barton vs hurst
Black302Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black302Alex View Post
Which one would you guys recommend for those of you who own either the Barton vs hurst
Barton easily, I have had a Barton since 2012 and absolutely love it! look into the MGW as well
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I if course have the hurst. Love the way it looks! It is a very tight shifter....requires a bit more effort to move it side to side and the 1-2 shift Is a little different. But I still dig it. All are better than the stock shifter so it's just a matter of which you prefer.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Kinda have to ask yourself what you want from a shifter upgrade. Personally, I wanted the looks of the Hurst and I was counting on it being better than the stock shifter. I was not disappointed, I got just what I wanted. Other shifters do not have the classic 60's look the Hurst unit has. The Hurst will appeal to fewer, which is a good thing in my book. I am personalizing my car to fit my tastes which are different from others. The shifters are all different, in different ways, the trick is to pick the one that is right for you....
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Kinda have to ask yourself what you want from a shifter upgrade. Personally, I wanted the looks of the Hurst and I was counting on it being better than the stock shifter. I was not disappointed, I got just what I wanted. Other shifters do not have the classic 60's look the Hurst unit has. The Hurst will appeal to fewer, which is a good thing in my book. I am personalizing my car to fit my tastes which are different from others. The shifters are all different, in different ways, the trick is to pick the one that is right for you....
^^^ this guy speaks truth

Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Someone should mod a Barton shifter to hold a hurst arm ???? What do think . Stupid idea ? I love the look of my hurst

Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT