Shelby Amp Pics and Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Shelby Amp Pics and Problem

Ok the Instructions could be a lot better. It assumes a lot on what to do.
Example on Page 3 ..Fig 8 is not clear on where to run the new wires. it shows you the Drivers side of the Column and does not show you where to run the harness.
#1 I have the Pics on how to run them. I will put in next part of thread.
I have two problems now. I cant get the grey Female part of the wire harness to clip onto the Grey male Harness of the Car. They don't click in and lock.
#2 When the Shelby amp is mounted per instructions the Ground wire is not long enough to mount on to the Grounding bolt you are shown to use..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the photos

Here are the Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1  Driver Side (640x480).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	163833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2   Driver Side close (640x480).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	163834  

Name:	3  Front Under Radio (640x480).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	163835   Click image for larger version

Name:	4  Pass Side (640x480).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	163836  

Name:	5  Pass side Close (640x480).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	163837   Click image for larger version

Name:	6  Pass Side real close (640x480).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	163838  

Name:	Pass Side out put (640x480).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	163839  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Update to Amp Wiring

Ok to up date you guys.

I guess while I was hot on my back and upside down one hand isn't enough to make the male and female on the one set.
I was able to do it tonight. I went ahead and spliced a little longer Black wire onto the Ground so every thing is bolted up and ready to go. except for one thing. The fuse hooked up to the battery will not take the blade style Fuse set with the set up.

Good greif. maybe im tring to be to nice when I press, push and Clamp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Looking at this update myself, I will be interested in how this all works out for you.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Update.. 8-25-2014

Ok everyone. UPDATE

I must have the only Shelby amp to have install issues.. LOL
Anyway after calls to my Shelby parts dealer , I was told to call Shelby, and then Shelby America told me to call Kicker. Man was I worried to start out with. Who wants to be told 2 times in a row to call somebody else.
Now Kicker is baffled why the ground wire was so short, Why the Fuse box uses Mini Fuses instead of Reg. Blade fuses and.. Get this..
The Sheby harness will not line up and stay locked with the factory wiring harness. I think they miss packed this kit or at least made the Harness wrong.
Sunday I could hold both the Grey and White Shelby clips down to the Car harness and get sound from the Door Subs but no where else. That let me know the Old amp was working but the Shelby Amp was not.

Anyway, Kicker really is tring to help, they are sending out a new kit to me today. They will wait for a return of the other stuff all on there dime.

Which is great because then I can also see what is different between the two.

Anyway that is far I am have gotten..
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just completed this installation this weekend. I had no problem plugging the factory male harness connectors into the supplied Shelby harness, but I clicked these together before trying to plug the new harness back into the factory amp. They do take a very firm push to seat however.

Here's where I ran into my biggest problem, I simply couldn't get the Shelby harness plugs to line up and plug into the factory amp. The problem is that the factory amp is high above the driver's kick panel on my '13 Premium and the plug sockets face forward away from you, so its a total Brail job! After about 30+ minutes of cussing, I finally got the first plug to go. The second one was much easier using the first as a point of reference. Again I found you had to push these in surprisingly hard to get them to click home.

I ran into the same problem with the fuse. The one they supplied was an ATO regular sized 30A fuse and the power harness that connects to the battery was designed to accept the smaller mini blade fuses. I had a 20A mini on hand so used that instead. I called Kicker to make sure of the amperage and they told me to use a 25A mini and offered to send one in the mail to me. I'll pick up a 25A as a spare in case the 20A one I used blows. Kicker told me the 20A will probably work fine.

I struggled a little bit routing the harness over from the drivers to the passenger side, there's not much room behind the dash and the suggested route in the instructions is pretty much the only one that will work. I had to stick a long screwdriver through there and push back all the insulation to clear a path.

I did not have a problem with the ground wire length, but there certainly wasn't any extra length available.

I installed the Shelby Kicker sub in the trunk while I was at it and had no real problems with that. I had previously installed the four 6x8 and 8" Shelby/Kicker speakers, so now I have the complete upgrade. Everything is working fine and it all sounds great. Other than the compact sub tucked into the right hand corner of the trunk, everything looks pretty much stock.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to her it Worked out for you

Glad to here everything worked for you.
I am sort of giggling because the guy told no one had ever called with an issue..
I hope my Post helped you fig out the Fuse issue, faster..
Enjoy your system..

What amp did you use? I am going to hook up a PAC system when I redo the radio harness so I can add my own amp.
I cant see another $700 for a small amp, but what do I know.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerotaz View Post
Glad to here everything worked for you.
I am sort of giggling because the guy told no one had ever called with an issue..
I hope my Post helped you fig out the Fuse issue, faster..
Enjoy your system..

What amp did you use? I am going to hook up a PAC system when I redo the radio harness so I can add my own amp.
I cant see another $700 for a small amp, but what do I know.
It's kinda funny, I talked to someone at Kicker who said I was the second one to call him about the fuse issue. I wonder if you were the other one!? I actually discovered and solved the fuse problem myself and installed a 20A one I had on hand before reading your post. I only called Kicker to make sure what amperage they recommended. The one they supplied was physically too big and rated at 30A. You're always safe from damage using a smaller fuse but I wanted to make sure even 20 was not too much. I'll leave it in there unless it blows.

Not sure how to answer your question about what amp I used. Of course we are talking about the Shelby Kicker amp, they have different iterations of it for differently equipped and different year cars. Mine is the one for the '13-'14 Premium Shaker system without the factory subwoofer.

If you're asking about the amp I used for the sub, it's the one Kicker includes and is built right in with the subwoofer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT