n00b pulling out the credit card - school me if I'm making mistake (STEEDA and AM) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
n00b pulling out the credit card - school me if I'm making mistake (STEEDA and AM)

Ok, I'm fixing to hit the "check out" button on both Steeda and AM products.

1st, AM has the absolute best prices for wheels/tires and exhaust that I'm looking for that I have found thus far. Not to mention, AM's presence here on these forums has been from what I can tell amazingly involved. Huge confidence booster.

Flowmaster Outlaw Catback Exhaust - Stainless Steel (13-14 GT)
$769.99 $769.99 Staggered AMR Black Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14 All)
View product to select options $1,489.99 $1,489.99

I actually called Steeda to talk about their tunes and tuner and WOW! It was like talking to an old high school buddy that you were wanting to get some advice from. The guy talked to me for about an hour, no pressure to buy and pretty much schooled me on my 2014 GT with a "Mustang 101" lesson. He pointed out that AM was a great place, gave me all the pros and cons and won me over to this

Steeda Mustang Ultimate Induction Pack - Automatic GT - 11-14 Part Number: 555-3936
$659.95 + −

$659.

So with that said - for a novice - am I going wrong and consider some other options, or pull the trigger?
20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Sorry no real input other than those wheels are sick and AM has always been a great place to buy parts, never had a problem with them

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rufeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
n00b pulling out the credit card - school me if I'm making mistake (STEEDA an...

Just installed the steeda tune/CAI combo on my 2012 gt a few weeks ago! Runs great!!! 👍👍👍👍👍

Sterling Grey Metallic 2012 GT
Mobile, AL
Instagram-_andrewmontgomery_
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post

1st, AM has the absolute best prices for wheels/tires and exhaust that I'm looking for that I have found thus far. Not to mention, AM's presence here on these forums has been from what I can tell amazingly involved. Huge confidence booster.

$769.99 $769.99 Staggered AMR Black Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14 All)

I actually called Steeda to talk about their tunes and tuner and WOW! It was like talking to an old high school buddy that you were wanting to get some advice from. The guy talked to me for about an hour, no pressure to buy and pretty much schooled me on my 2014 GT with a "Mustang 101" lesson. He pointed out that AM was a great place, gave me all the pros and cons and won me over to this

Steeda Mustang Ultimate Induction Pack - Automatic GT - 11-14 Part Number: 555-3936
$659.95 + −

$659.

So with that said - for a novice - am I going wrong and consider some other options, or pull the trigger?
Welcome! Looks like you've made some great picks for your Coyote! We're always around (day or night) so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're to ever have any questions. As per the parts you're looking to pick up everything looks great to me here! The Wheels and exhaust can be a little tough though. At the end of the day this is your car and you should modify it any way you see fit. One of the great things about our site is that you'll have the ability to see what the wheels will look like on your car. The exhaust is a different story! You would need to do some reaching on YouTube to locate a stock car with just the catback .Our customer service reps are non-commission based here and we do not pressure sales what so ever. Furthermore if you're looking to install and buy something for your car that we don't think you would benefit from we'll be straight forward with you too!

Being said I'm partial to both parts here-Having run a wide variety of Flowmaster Products between my '01 and '08 I can say that they make a solid system that will get you noticed. The wheels are hands down my favorite that we carry. My only negative comment is that they're a little hard to clean but most wheels are!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you get 50 posts and use the discount code you will save a nice chunk of change!
Don't believe it applies to Steeda products, but for the rest it will!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Alex, Thanks so much!

Can't say enough good things about AM and Steeda so far.

My only fear on the rims is I have seen some bent ones go out - but I'm sure you guys will take care of me if that happens.

Loud, mean, nasty, and flashy is what I'm wanting! So hopefully this will be it! (Have some vinyl accents going on too soon)
Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
If you get 50 posts and use the discount code you will save a nice chunk of change!
Don't believe it applies to Steeda products, but for the rest it will!

I'm sure it is just a "warm and fuzzy" thing both companies do - but I've spoken to reps for AM here through PM and called Steeda - both companies were absolutely generous . Let's just put it that way.

I suggest to people to call or speak to reps, you tend to get a good ear full of info and some better deals.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sure it is just a "warm and fuzzy" thing both companies do - but I've spoken to reps for AM here through PM and called Steeda - both companies were absolutely generous . Let's just put it that way.

I suggest to people to call or speak to reps, you tend to get a good ear full of info and some better deals.
Awesome man! Glad to hear you are being taken care of.
You picked some top of the line products, you will absolutely love them on your 'stang.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
decent choices man. in regards to the flowmaster outlaw exhaust, it is extremely loud and prepare for drone if you are cruising on the highway. if that doesn't bother you then enjoy your purchases.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Kind of worried about drone. But hopefully that Shaker will fix it

Plus I'm more interested in what the car sounds like then my wife blabbing (don't tell her I said that please) ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If you're going for loud, i think the flowmasters will accomplish that - but loud doesn't always mean that it sounds good. I have no experience with them myself, but I have heard flowmasters tend to drone pretty badly at highway cruising speeds. So, if this is a daily driver, that may not be ideal. I have the bassani catback + x-pipe and it sounds arousing. I intend to install cat deletes because i want them a bit louder, but I would argue that the sound is on par with the best. This is all personal preference.

Regarding the wheels and tires, i think this depends on your intention for the car - drag racing, circuit racing, autoX, daily driving, etc. Tires for 20" wheels are going to have a much smaller sidewall so you will be sacrificing some ride comfort a bit. I would say 20" wheels are mostly for looks, not performance. They will also be heavier.

Steeda intake + tune is a good choice (i'm sure people will debate this). CAI's don't really do much for our car - the real benefit is from the tune. The intake is possibly good for 5-10hp if you're lucky. They're primarily for looks and sound. If you install the intake and tune together though, you will see a good overall performance boost over stock (again, mostly from the tune).
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you want an exhaust that is loud throaty and has an awesome sound then get the borla ATAK axle backs. I don't think there is a real benefit of going catback so I've heard? Correct me if I'm wrong I don't wanna mislead anyone but atak has a freakin awesome sound and they're loud with 0 drone

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Don't quote me either, but I see a catback as only being beneficial when combined with o/r midpipe + headers. That way the entire system flows freely. A catback with the stock headers/midpipe won't give any power benefits over an axleback. So, if you intend to go full exhaust, a catback may be the better bet. If you just want sound, the axleback will do just fine. A catback does also remove/change the resonators though so it will alter the sound as well.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Only benefit of catback is it replaces factory piping with 3" piping from the midpipe back. I don't think it is really necessary to spend the extra $400 on a catback. Not gonna notice any difference in power. Get the outlaw axle backs and pair them with an off-road H pipe and you will get the sound you're looking for!

Mobile, AL
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Looking to get rid of resonators
Headers and OR X pipe in the future
Old 08-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Only benefit of catback is it replaces factory piping with 3" piping from the midpipe back. I don't think it is really necessary to spend the extra $400 on a catback. Not gonna notice any difference in power. Get the outlaw axle backs and pair them with an off-road H pipe and you will get the sound you're looking for!

Mobile, AL
Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My personal preference was to replace everything with 3" piping. Performance-wise, I doubt it'll do much, but i just didn't like the idea of having a mismatch of pipes running under there. My OCD kicked in
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just got the flowmaster Outlaw Axle-back installed over the weekend. I wasn't sure whether I should have got the cat-like instead but that night I met with some other owners with the same set-up. They were asking me what I had and I told them just Flowmaster axle-backs and they felt that mine was louder compared to theirs which was a whole flowmaster outlaw cat-back setup. After listening to both I think it sounds pretty identical. My plan is, when I want to go louder I will just get the whole set-up from headers all the way down. Going to wait until my warrenty is up though. They can't say much with just axlebacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To reiterate what has already been said, the Outlaws are loud. Add in some headers and an X-pipe and they are stupid loud. My neighbor has a set on his 5.0. I do not like the way they sound. The overall decibel level is too high, and not enough substance to it, if that makes any sense. I just don't like the tone. Its like someone put the stock exhaust on a megaphone and amplified the boom without increasing the throaty V8 sound. I much prefer the sound of Flowmasters chambered mufflers over their canister style mufflers. Another poster mentioned the Borla ATAK series. If you want loud AND good sounding, that is the ticket. Also the Outlaws are going to DRONE like crazy on the highway....be ready for it.

As for the wheels, a lot of people will hate on the 20" wheels. As long as you can accept its for looks and not performance then I see no issues. The HTR ZIII tires are not bad for the money. Not revolutionary in terms of grip, but certainly as much grip as the stock Pirelli P-zero all seasons.

If you want an aftermarket intake, then the Steeda is one of the best. It keeps the factory cold air snorkel in place, and has sufficient sealing to keep it isolated form the engine bay.

The BAMA tune...well, there are plenty of people with opinions. I cannot recommend any tune that does not utilize some sort of data logging or actual dyno time. There are just too many variables for a canned tune. Lots of people running around with BAMA tunes without issues however.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would spend a little extra on rims those don't hold to well. I have them and am about to get orchestras probably.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GrabberBlue13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Auto correct forgestars... check out hypermotive.com

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GrabberBlue13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

$659.95 + −

$659.

50 Posts will get u a 6% AM discount. If you PM TJ@steeda he'll probably give u a 6% forum discount too.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
50 Posts will get u a 6% AM discount. If you PM TJ@steeda he'll probably give u a 6% forum discount too.

I wish the Steeda suspension parts were cheaper. I would be all over them... I will be going with BMR or SR Performance

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The Steeda suspension parts are high quality parts that are made in the U.S.A. You won't ever be disappointed in the quality or fit that our parts offer.

The quality & materials that make up our parts are priced accordingly. Many of them come with a lifetime warranty.

Please shoot me an email at tim@steeda.com if you ever need help with questions or if I can provide a quote.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Alex, Thanks so much!

Can't say enough good things about AM and Steeda so far.

My only fear on the rims is I have seen some bent ones go out - but I'm sure you guys will take care of me if that happens.

Loud, mean, nasty, and flashy is what I'm wanting! So hopefully this will be it! (Have some vinyl accents going on too soon)
You're very welcome sir! We pride ourselves on our customer service and if anything were ever to come up I'm a PM away! I check my PM's hourly and I'm on the boards after hours as well! Let me know if there's ever anything I can lend a hand with!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You cant go wrong with Borla ATAKs axle backs, All the folks love my ATAKs on my GT, super loud and no drone.
Anyway, the best parts will cost more, and the good part of buying better parts is you only have to buy them the first time and not be disappointed
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
For Steeda parts I would just check with them directly. I bought a shifter kit with some extras during the Memorial day sale and they knocked off 20% with free shipping. Labor day weekend is right around the corner.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've been running Outlaws since 500mi on the odometer. She's now at 19,500.

I get many compliments on how mine sounds. You know that saying - "If one person says it, 10 more are thinking it." In that case there's near a thousand people in Chicago's northern burbs digging these outlaws.

The do resonate in the cabin at 2k rpms. That's 60mph-ish with .373s. I do not mind a bit of drone, and it isn't so bad as to where it drives you crazy.

I'm doing an offroad H at some point. I've heard a setup with an o/r H, outlaws, and resonator deletes...it's got a louder tone, but it's still that same ol' musclecar growl.

I'm not sure these would sound good with an o/r X though...this isn't a 'rasp' type muffler, so adding a raspy midpipe is going to make things sound like ***** IMO.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
For Steeda parts I would just check with them directly. I bought a shifter kit with some extras during the Memorial day sale and they knocked off 20% with free shipping. Labor day weekend is right around the corner.

Did steeda take anything extra off for you? I really want some steeda suspension parts but the prices are out of my range.. They're double/triple the price of other options

Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
I've been running Outlaws since 500mi on the odometer. She's now at 19,500.

I get many compliments on how mine sounds. You know that saying - "If one person says it, 10 more are thinking it." In that case there's near a thousand people in Chicago's northern burbs digging these outlaws.

The do resonate in the cabin at 2k rpms. That's 60mph-ish with .373s. I do not mind a bit of drone, and it isn't so bad as to where it drives you crazy.

I'm doing an offroad H at some point. I've heard a setup with an o/r H, outlaws, and resonator deletes...it's got a louder tone, but it's still that same ol' musclecar growl.

I'm not sure these would sound good with an o/r X though...this isn't a 'rasp' type muffler, so adding a raspy midpipe is going to make things sound like ***** IMO.
I'm running outlaws along with long tubes and a catless x-pipe. i personally love the way it sounds, the raspiness of the x-pipe and long tubes mixed with the deeper tone of the outlaws i think mixes well. But that is obviously my opinion, you may just very well hate it if you heard it.

My car is loud as hell( which isn't necessarily a bad thing, to me at least) and the drone is pretty ridiculous at highway speeds, but i could care less since my car will be retired from daily driving soon and become more and more involved with racing along with some weekend drives every once in a while.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on my exhaust but it's to each there own, i'm sure their are people that hate it as well. i've just never had someone tell me to my face yet lol.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I may be out of line but my advice would be to not use a credit card... those things are the devil.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:20 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
I may be out of line but my advice would be to not use a credit card... those things are the devil.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Credit cards build credit which equals.good as long as you are responsible

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Credit cards build credit which equals.good as long as you are responsible

Guess I was lacking in the responsibility department...Still paying for bar tabs from 2008...LOL.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Bar+credit card could get iffy lol.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did steeda take anything extra off for you? I really want some steeda suspension parts but the prices are out of my range.. They're double/triple the price of other options
Our prices are competitively priced within the industry. You can't compare our American made parts to those parts that are imported ... there is no comparison.

When you order from Steeda ... you get the full manufacturing & engineering support of the product.

Email me at tim@steeda.com if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT