Car popping out of reverse...? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Car popping out of reverse...?

Okay going to make this as short as possible. I has brought my car in about a year ago for trans problems. I lost 4th gear in my car and it would grind going in. I took it to the dealership and when I got it back reverse popped out. Brought it back twice and they said it wasn't happening for them so there was nothing they could do.

I CAN NO LONGER BRING IT BACK.

With that being said, what could possibly be the problem and how can I fix it? There is no grinding. As I slowly let off the clutch you see the shifter move backwards and then it pops out.

2012 Worked Dub Edition V6.
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Did they fix your 4th gear problem? Contact the Ford Representative in the area. Sounds like the dealership just wants you go away.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes they did. And they created a HUGE problem for me and threatened it to be "non-warrantied" work because someone said I had after market parts. They also installed a clutch and flywheel for me. And in order to fix it again they said they'd have to take it out to determine my
Clutch is not the problem. I don't want to go back there. But now I have a bunch of work done to my car so I didn't know if there was anything I could do myself to fix this problem..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Sounds like they maybe taking advantage of you.. I would talk to an area rep right away

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

What work do you have done?

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Yes they did. And they created a HUGE problem for me and threatened it to be "non-warrantied" work because someone said I had after market parts.
But you do have a bunch of aftermarket parts in the drivetrain so why should it be covered under warranty?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Sounds like they maybe taking advantage of you.. I would talk to an area rep right away

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

What work do you have done?

Like I said. Think it's too late for that whole situation that's why I didn't go into detail. Just want some input on how to fix it.

I have tons done now from a full exhaust, to suspension work, etc.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
But you do have a bunch of aftermarket parts in the drivetrain so why should it be covered under warranty?

All I had at the time was an intake and a muffler. I took them off and brought it to the dealership. After taking my transmission apart once, the issue was not fixed. They took it apart a second time and I asked that while they were in there if I paid extra could they swap out my clutch. They said yes. Then told me I needed a flywheel by the next day or they were putting it in. So I went and picked up one. My gear was fixed afterwords. But when I took my car home it started popping out. Brought it back again and they said it "wasn't doing it when they test drove it."

SO when they originally threatened me. I came in because the had my car for a week and did not call me to tell me what was going on nor offered me a rental car. They told me it was going to be done that day and when I called they told me they were "tuning it so it wouldn't be done today." That's when I came in and I complained that they didn't tell me what was going on when I asked several times and that I was never ordered a rental. The service manager came in and the first thing he said to my mother and I was "depending on how this conversation goes this can be warranty work or money out of your pocket." The trans issue has nothing to do with an intake or a muffler, nor do I believe it has anything to do with the clutch. Hence it should still be covered under warranty. I decided they were just messing around with me and I didn't want to go back there anymore. But at that point I knew my trans was altered with the new clutch they put in so I didn't think going to another dealership would help since they would probably not cover it. Didn't feel like I needed to explain that. I have since further modded the car, but it is still really annoying.

AGAIN, I simply just want to know if it is something I can fix in the trans or maybe if it has something to so with another part...

Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best bet is to take it to a reputable shop and get it looked at. But as you know you're gonna come outta pocket for that. If you noticed the issue after install you should have kept going in until it was correct. Not giving you crap about it but you did exactly what that dealership wanted you too and that was not raise a big stink and cost them in additional labor or parts.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Best bet is to take it to a reputable shop and get it looked at. But as you know you're gonna come outta pocket for that. If you noticed the issue after install you should have kept going in until it was correct. Not giving you crap about it but you did exactly what that dealership wanted you too and that was not raise a big stink and cost them in additional labor or parts.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

No I just didn't have the time to keep bringing her back and having them consistently take my trans apart because they didn't feel like replacing in. I understand it would be out of pocket now. Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience or have seen this happen so that I could just fix it myself. I don't typically let anyone touch my car but it was warranty work.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha, I don't have any experience with a shifter popping out of reverse and wouldn't even know where to begin on trying to fix it.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Could be your throw out bearing or linkage.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How long ago was this? If recently, contact a local Area Ford Representative. Time to one up their B.S. Game!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Could be your throw out bearing or linkage.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

Could it be a shifter bushing or something of that nature?

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
How long ago was this? If recently, contact a local Area Ford Representative. Time to one up their B.S. Game!

About a year ago now. Too long ago. Again too late to send my car back in for numerous reasons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT