warranty voided? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
warranty voided?

2014 gt manual. so as far as mods go, what mods void the warranty? simple and easy question.
andyx5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Probably adding a supercharger,a tune, headers, cams, different gears maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

****. lol im getting headers and x pipe installed this weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

fudge** lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I put headers on my 2010 gt and they said it would
Void the warranty but I didn't give a shxt. Took it
To a different dealer when my
Transmission had a problem
And they didn't say anything about the tune, headers ,cold
Air or H pipe and fixed it under warranty

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ford and other car companies are unwilling to give a straight answer for this so its hard for anyone to provide one. For smaller things it can vary dealer to dealer although if you tear into the engine, transmission, or alter the tune you can pretty much kiss your engine/drive-train warranty goodbye.

People that claim their dealers are 'mod friendly' are full of crap. Lets say even if a dealer said they will still honor your warranty with a tune and you were to blow an engine. Before Ford corporate agrees to warranty it (remember your warranty is through Ford not an individual dealer) Ford is going to ask for the cars computer to see what happened. Once they detect the PCM has been modified there not going to replace it. At that point do you really think the dealer is going to eat 8-10 K to replace the engine that Ford won't warranty?

Now if you modify the motor and a headlight goes out or window motor stops working they should definitely still take care of that as it has nothing to do with your modifications.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I already bought them. no going back now.

have you come across the ghost cam?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Ford and other car companies are unwilling to give a straight answer for this so its hard for anyone to provide one. For smaller things it can vary dealer to dealer although if you tear into the engine, transmission, or alter the tune you can pretty much kiss your engine/drive-train warranty goodbye.

People that claim their dealers are 'mod friendly' are full of crap. Lets say even if a dealer said they will still honor your warranty with a tune and you were to blow an engine. Before Ford corporate agrees to warranty it (remember your warranty is through Ford not an individual dealer) Ford is going to ask for the cars computer to see what happened. Once they detect the PCM has been modified there not going to replace it. At that point do you really think the dealer is going to eat 8-10 K to replace the engine that Ford won't warranty?

Now if you modify the motor and a headlight goes out or window motor stops working they should definitely still take care of that as it has nothing to do with your modifications.

makes a lot of sense. maybe I shouldn't worry then. cause I wont be modding the gt that much. exhaust, cai and maybe a tune.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx5oh View Post
2014 gt manual. so as far as mods go, what mods void the warranty? simple and easy question.
This is going to differ from dealer to dealer-My best recommendation is head down to the dealer and speak with a service manager to test the waters. Some dealers sell Ford Racing Parts direct and once they install an axle-back they'll void the warranty (Ridiculous right?) Take a spin down there and find out!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I noticed you're from California. What part are you from? I'm asking because, to maybe find out in the future what dealerships would help you out. I was told that the only way a dealer can void your warrenty was if the aftermarket parts failed and causes other parts to fail, then the OEM parts will no longer be covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I assume that my Flowmaster Outlaws Axlebacks should be okay right? That's the only mod I want to do until my warrenty is done. I don't even want to lower my car just in case they say something stupid.

Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
I assume that my Flowmaster Outlaws Axlebacks should be okay right? That's the only mod I want to do until my warrenty is done. I don't even want to lower my car just in case they say something stupid.

I'm sure that'll be fine lol I'm getting my headers and x pipe installed this weekend.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No mod voids your warranty upon completion. That being said, there are grounds to dismiss a warranty claim if Ford can prove that your modification caused the problem. Even still, I wouldn't count on it. I would say that if you have any engine problems after doing anything that requires a tune, you should expect to get the bill for it. If Ford warranties the engine, you lucked out. Exhaust is not a big deal at all.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Read it, because it'll answer your questions about how, why, when dealerships can void your warranty.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not that it physically forces then to perform warranty work. Everyone seems to forget that if they refuse to warranty your car, your only reprove is to take legal action against them. Do you really want to have to deal with that? Would it even be worth it?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Read it, because it'll answer your questions about how, why, when dealerships can void your warranty.
You have no idea why that act was put in place do you?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You have no idea why that act was put in place do you?
Put simply, to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. It was brought about by the misuse of disclaimers and warranties by merchants. The portion we talk about most on these forums is the part where a full warranty cannot automatically be voided in whole by the installation of an aftermarker part. To deny warranty work, it must be proved that the aftermarket part in question is the cause for the work. While an aftermarket driveshaft or tune can be the cause of a drivetrain issue, an axleback cannot cause a suspension issue. The act basically makes sure that merchants (dealerships) follow this logic. Now, there is a possiblity that a dealership will deny to touch the vehicle because they feel the aftermarket part caused the issue, but at the same time, cannot prove it. At which point, you can elevate it to Ford Motor Company or take legal action. It doesn't necessarily make warranty work easier on the consumer, it just protects them from shady maintenance practices and dealerships.

Also, I don't take kindly to your condescending tone...
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Put simply, to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. It was brought about by the misuse of disclaimers and warranties by merchants. The portion we talk about most on these forums is the part where a full warranty cannot automatically be voided in whole by the installation of an aftermarker part. To deny warranty work, it must be proved that the aftermarket part in question is the cause for the work. While an aftermarket driveshaft or tune can be the cause of a drivetrain issue, an axleback cannot cause a suspension issue. The act basically makes sure that merchants (dealerships) follow this logic. Now, there is a possiblity that a dealership will deny to touch the vehicle because they feel the aftermarket part caused the issue, but at the same time, cannot prove it. At which point, you can elevate it to Ford Motor Company or take legal action. It doesn't necessarily make warranty work easier on the consumer, it just protects them from shady maintenance practices and dealerships.

Also, I don't take kindly to your condescending tone...
Wrong. Looks like you just copied and pasted from somewhere. Typical.

It was put in place to protect people from using non OEM parts like fuel filters and PCV valves. Not from changing parameters in a computer or adding parts that pushed a car past what it was meant for.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It was put in place to protect people from using non OEM parts like fuel filters and PCV valves. Not from changing parameters in a computer or adding parts that pushed a car past what it was meant for.

I don't normally split hairs, but if you're going to be flagrantly rude, try not to be wrong at the same time.

The primary purpose of the law is to enable consumers to inform themselves on exactly what kind of services are offered under manufacturer warranties. This in turn allows the consumer to compare warranties among multiple manufacturers (encouraging the manufacturers to provide warranties in the first place and incentivizes them to respond appropriately and in a timely fashion to warranty claims). The second major purpose of the law is to pave the way for litigation on behalf of a wronged consumer.

Does it provide protection for people using different oil filters and brake pads and things of that nature? Yeah, absolutely. Is that why it was brought into play? Absolutely not.

Please don't be so condescending. I'm not saying we all have to be prim and proper all the time, but nobody appreciates you being consistently rude to people who don't deserve it at all...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Please don't be so condescending. I'm not saying we all have to be prim and proper all the time, but nobody appreciates you being consistently rude to people who don't deserve it at all...
Okay, whatever you say.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #20
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:

That's what I mean by aftermarket. Non-oem, not necessarily performance oriented, just something other than the brand of product that was used from the factory. I used those examples simply because those are some of the most common and easy to relate to situations on a forum based around performance vehicles. Sorry if my answer wasn't clear enough for you oh wise one.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

so there isn't any performance mods that wont void a warranty? fml i'm dying to mod this thing.
Ar0maticdecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar0maticdecay View Post
so there isn't any performance mods that wont void a warranty? fml i'm dying to mod this thing.

???

Did you read the thread?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
???

Did you read the thread?

basically you have to prove that mod didn't cause the failure. have fun proving that they will twist it somehow to void the warranty
Ar0maticdecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar0maticdecay View Post
basically you have to prove that mod didn't cause the failure. have fun proving that they will twist it somehow to void the warranty

No, they have to prove it. You may have to take legal action to make them prove it, but you never have to prove it. And most dealers would prefer to do your warranty work because they still get paid... Just by Ford instead of by you.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #25

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I'm sure that'll be fine lol I'm getting my headers and x pipe installed this weekend.

Headers and X pipe wont mess with passing smog emissions? Sorry, I don't know much about the smog testing but curious.
W1Ck3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Andy, it may be a simple ? but there is not a simple answer.

One of your better mods is a good relationship with your dealer. If you don't like that dealer try working with another. However once your car has been entered into Ford data base as being tuned/modded considere that your permanent record. Yes, on paper Ford MUST PROVE the mod was the cause but, what MAY happen is Ford will deny wtty untill the court makes them fix it.

I did CAI and axle back Ford would have a hard time voiding wtty for that and I work at my dealer relationship by buying oil filters from them and saying "hi" to my sales person every time I am in. I wouldn't tune even though lots of others enjoy their tune I just don't feel the risk/reward is worth it but admit to being paranoid.

Do you see those guys hiding behind the trees? Of course not they are hiding....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT