ghost cam tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
ghost cam tune?

2014 gt. so I'm thinking about getting a ghost cam tune. I just mainly want it for sound. Any one have any issues with the tune? Pros? Cons? If I do get it will I be able to switch tunes? Ghost cam then back to regular if I wanted to?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
andyx5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Can only run ghost cam tune if you remove your cats. So you'll need cat deletes or an offroad midpipe. Besides that, it'll just destroy your gas mileage at idle.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting headers and o/r x pipe installed this weekend. It doesn't sound any different when driving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, the tune is only for idling. There's no performance benefit, it's just for "show". Once you get going it reverts to the normal tune

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I never understood ghost cam tunes. It's like unhooking a vacuum hose to create a loss of vacuum that makes your car run super lean and sound like it's cammed. It's basically "posing". If you wanted a loped idle, you bought the wrong car.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much - doesn't it run rich though? And all of the unburnt fuel poisons the cats (if they're present). Hence the reason you can't run it with cats.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Unhooking the vacuum line makes the car run lean--that's what I was saying. The ghost cams just dump fuel until it lopes, as far as I understand.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ah sorry I misunderstood. That's my understanding also.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck finding one. Bama discontinued it

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The 2014.5 track key has a loped idle.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_5.0 View Post
Good luck finding one. Bama discontinued it
John Lund has it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I thought i remembered hearing that AED does as well. Never dealt with Lund or AED - based on reviews, i don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I think there's quite a bit more too it then just dumping excess fuel. Probably adjustments to other things?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i imagine the cam timing is adjusted to allow more overlap. allowing the fuel to be pushed right out the exhaust valves and wasted
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The Ford Racing Track Key and TrackCal tunes has the Ford LopeCcam, I love it at the car shows. With my Bola ATAKs it give the idle old school sound. (also I heard it on Gt500s and it sounds nice as well) And I can turn it off just by holding the Cruz control's Off button while starting the car and I had my dealer install it for warranty.

The Ford tune changes valve timing, it cant dump fuel as its emissions certified in 50 states. It also added 60ftpound of Torqe at 1500rpms on the butt-byno and some HPR on top end; and the throttle response is great.

But you need to have an MT82 transmission, not available on the Auto.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
The Ford Racing Track Key and TrackCal tunes has the Ford LopeCcam, I love it at the car shows. With my Bola ATAKs it give the idle old school sound. (also I heard it on Gt500s and it sounds nice as well) And I can turn it off just by holding the Cruz control's Off button while starting the car and I had my dealer install it for warranty.

The Ford tune changes valve timing, it cant dump fuel as its emissions certified in 50 states. It also added 60ftpound of Torqe at 1500rpms on the butt-byno and some HPR on top end; and the throttle response is great.

But you need to have an MT82 transmission, not available on the Auto.

Where did you get this? Do I have to get the actually key or can I just get the tune? And how exactly does it work? You just go to a ford dealership and tell them to install the tune? lol

Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx5oh View Post
Where did you get this? Do I have to get the actually key or can I just get the tune? And how exactly does it work? You just go to a ford dealership and tell them to install the tune? lol
First you have to have an MT82 transmission. If you do and your 2014 was made after July some thing 2013, you get a separate red track key. 2013 and early 2014s don't get a separate key, you get a Ford tuner and the dealer installs the tune. You cna turn off the tune holding the Cruz off button on start-up then.

Your best to find a dealer whose parts department sells ford racing and they do the install for you as a combo price and you keep their "good will" and they do all the warranty registration stuff with ford racing.

Or if you cant do that, you can buy it from Ford Racing direct (or other ford racing dealers) and take it to your dealer to install (they may or may not do it if they are stiffs or snobs)

More info can be found here, 72 posts:
GT Track Key Available
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I never understood ghost cam tunes. It's like unhooking a vacuum hose to create a loss of vacuum that makes your car run super lean and sound like it's cammed. It's basically "posing". If you wanted a loped idle, you bought the wrong car.

So...how many other 2014 model cars have a cammy idle out there?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post

I think you missed the point? None of them lope stock, but at least traditional cam-in-block engines make sense to put an aggressive cam in (and when you do, they lope, and it's not artificially created).

Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So why is it only the later model 2014's have this option? Shouldn't it be available on all 2011-2014's?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I think you missed the point? None of them lope stock, but at least traditional cam-in-block engines make sense to put an aggressive cam in (and when you do, they lope, and it's not artificially created).

What point...? Ghost tune = $200-250, New Comp Stage 3, 4v cams plus install = $1800-2000. The point is with dohc and Ti VCT you can make a 302 ci motor make 420 plus hp on pump without a crappy idle. You are bothered because in YOUR opinion you think being artificial (ghost cam) is not cool. That's your point. Cams are the last thing I would change on this car... LOL
Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What point...? Ghost tune = $200-250, New Comp Stage 3, 4v cams plus install = $1800-2000. The point is with dohc and Ti VCT you can make a 302 ci motor make 420 plus hp on pump without a crappy idle. You are bothered because in YOUR opinion you think being artificial (ghost cam) is not cool. That's your point. Cams are the last thing I would change on this car... LOL

Yes, I think the majority of people would agree with you, there is no reason to swap cams in these engines. So why would people want it to sound like they did..?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Some people like the sound. I'll probably try it in the future.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't mind it purely for show and messing around. Just a cool sound. But useless for daily driving

Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
I wouldn't mind it purely for show and messing around. Just a cool sound. But useless for daily driving

Exactly

Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
So why is it only the later model 2014's have this option? Shouldn't it be available on all 2011-2014's?
Are you asking about an aftermarket tune or the Ford track key?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First its not posin' The TiVCT cams stock give you a street-race cam up top and a MPG cam on the bottom. You can prove that by taking the CAM phasers off and put block deletes in it and you get guess what? That old fashioned CAM sound, but a lousy bottom low in torque, which was a fact you had to deal with in the old days. That is why the totally adjustable TiVCT is so great, low end torque, high end HPR. If your old like me an expect that sound of your youth, the Ford Lope TrackKey tune is safe, and not going to run lean or dump gas. All it does at idle is phase the cam back up to the street racing point.

I already know two other old guys in my area that once they heard my car, have an appointment to put the TrackCal tune in also.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
2013-2014 early can get the calibrator. 2014 1/2 get a boss track key, they got Boss dual-maped ECUs put in them left over from the Boss runs

Art
Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Just do it right.
Dellete the vct and phasers, and install lockouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Love my Lund ghost cam tune. Got it for the same reason I got my Borla Ataks...wanted the sound. Without exception, every time I stop, someone says how awesome it sounds. Would love actual sticks, but not gonna buy 4 of em! Not worth the return in this rig.
And, yes, the idle milage sux!!!
Been on for about 9 months and 15,000 miles btw. No issues at all.
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	164542  
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That mileage does suck!!! Haha but I do have a question... You said you've had it for about 15k miles and your car only has 11k miles?

14' GT PREMIUM
DEEP IMPACT BLUE
mav351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Love my Lund ghost cam tune. Got it for the same reason I got my Borla Ataks...wanted the sound. Without exception, every time I stop, someone says how awesome it sounds. Would love actual sticks, but not gonna buy 4 of em! Not worth the return in this rig.
And, yes, the idle milage sux!!!
Been on for about 9 months and 15,000 miles btw. No issues at all.
Troy
^^^Yea what he says
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav351w View Post
That mileage does suck!!! Haha but I do have a question... You said you've had it for about 15k miles and your car only has 11k miles?
Probably an old photo unless he has not driven his car much? I have followed his posts over 2 mustangs in more than 2 years so far. I really don't know , just posted for the Fark of it
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Are you asking about an aftermarket tune or the Ford track key?
Track key. Can't program one for an 11-12?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

OK, so I have a tune I am very happy with from a performance stand point. But the tuner doesn't offer a lope tune. If I were to want to add a lope idle to my current tune would someone like aed or Lund who offers a lope tune for autos be able to do that or would they want you to pay full price for an entire new tune of there's? I noticed on aed's site it's $75 extra for lope idle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT