Brake questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Brake questions

Hey guys just a few questions about brakes, I'm young and haven't had too many cars so need some wisdom. Have a 12 with non -brembos, had a squeal for about 2 weeks now but considering I only have 14,000 miles on the car I can't imagine its the pads . Can anyone tell me what causes the squeal or if I just have cheap pads, maybe need the rotors turned or something . Squeal goes away when I really get on the breaks and only happens with anything past light pressure to the pedal. Also can this damage my breaks if I don't take care of it soon , like glaze the rotors or anything .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Region: South Carolina
Brakes can be a pain in the ***. First off, is the sound only coming from one wheel as opposed to all four? The problem is more than likely the brake shims. Typically when brake shims are not lubricated properly they make a lot of small annoying noises when you slightly press the pedal, but when you really get on the brake pedal these noises stop because the vibration on the brake shims is halted due to pressure. The vibration is harmless, just really REALLY annoying! And you should not need to turn your rotors, as the problem is most likely unrelated.

First thing you need to do is find out where the noise is coming from and then open the brake caliper up to see if the brake shims are on the brake pads as well as checking the condition of the pads to make sure it isn't worn down. If you have brake shims, then put a small touch of copper grease or disc caliper brake lube (don't use anything else) where the piston contacts the back of the shim. Also apply lube to the back of the shim on the other side of the caliper. Put lube on metal contact points as well but try to avoid getting the lube on the rotor.

I would try that. If that doesn't work, you can try a brake bedding procedure or Brake Quiet that might help. Otherwise, it might be worth it to invest in a nice rotor/pad combo. AM has a nice one for all 4 corners for 400 bucks.

Eibach Pro-Kit Shocks/Struts w/ Springs
atofstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ok that helps a lot! I'll try all of those options and one of them will work for sure. Thanks for the info

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT