Cams and inspection! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
20Mustang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Camden
Region: Delaware
Posts: 35
Cams and inspection!

So if put cams in ur 2013 5.0 do you have to delete ur cats. And if you do don't you need to have ur cats to go thrue inspection? I could never understand how that works


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
20Mustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joaquin_ii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 547
You can have cats with cams.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Paradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 141
just cant mix cats with dogs they don't get along
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
REG
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monaca
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 263
Cats and Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Mustang13 View Post
So if put cams in ur 2013 5.0 do you have to delete ur cats. And if you do don't you need to have ur cats to go thrue inspection? I could never understand how that works


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
They shouldn't cause a CEL, but you never know what can happen. What state are you in? A lot don't require emissions. In another post I mentioned that in my State, PA, only 6 counties are required to have emissions inspection.
But why are you considering cams, anything I've seen gives a moderate horsepower increase, but the cost is pretty high, 1400 - 1500 bucs. (gotta get 4)
I couldn't justify it, but hey some people want to be able to say (and show) they make the most hp they can. If that makes you happy, knock yourself out!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Paradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 141
These engines are not designed to give us the "old school" sound with the cam sets. Only way to get that sound is to get custom grinds and that will be a $4600.00 job with labor to hear a mean lope and get a moderate power gain.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradone View Post
These engines are not designed to give us the "old school" sound with the cam sets. Only way to get that sound is to get custom grinds and that will be a $4600.00 job with labor to hear a mean lope and get a moderate power gain.
And you'll have to delete TI-VCT, get lockouts, and limiters.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Paradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
And you'll have to delete TI-VCT, get lockouts, and limiters.

+1 I forgot about that detail was just making a general statement but you are 100% correct mustangz
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
20Mustang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Camden
Region: Delaware
Posts: 35
I was trying to get the ghost cam from bama but they said they are discontinued it for time being. I love that old school muscle car loping. I was planning on spending the $1500 to get the stage 2 cams but didn't know about the cats


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
20Mustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
20Mustang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Camden
Region: Delaware
Posts: 35
I know delaware has emissions


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
20Mustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
fwalck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
They shouldn't cause a CEL, but you never know what can happen. What state are you in? A lot don't require emissions. In another post I mentioned that in my State, PA, only 6 counties are required to have emissions inspection.
But why are you considering cams, anything I've seen gives a moderate horsepower increase, but the cost is pretty high, 1400 - 1500 bucs. (gotta get 4)
I couldn't justify it, but hey some people want to be able to say (and show) they make the most hp they can. If that makes you happy, knock yourself out!
But in all the other counties in PA you technically need cats to get your safety sticker as well as all your other emissions equipment but I'm sure there are plenty of shops that dnt worry about that but I have the luck of living in an emissions county

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Paradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Mustang13 View Post
I was trying to get the ghost cam from bama but they said they are discontinued it for time being. I love that old school muscle car loping. I was planning on spending the $1500 to get the stage 2 cams but didn't know about the cats


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution

Have you tried the Track Key or FRPP tune? In this video it kicks in at about after 30 sec of the video.


Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Mustang13 View Post
I was trying to get the ghost cam from bama but they said they are discontinued it for time being. I love that old school muscle car loping. I was planning on spending the $1500 to get the stage 2 cams but didn't know about the cats


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Mustang13 View Post
I know delaware has emissions


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
The only reason those ghost cam tunes required having no cats is because the first version of those tunes were just dumping fuel at idle to make the lopey sound and it wouldn't be too good for your cats' lifespan (from what I've been told).

I'm pretty sure regular cams don't work that way.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
20Mustang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Camden
Region: Delaware
Posts: 35
Paradone , I didn't know they had a tune for that. I ask bama if there was any other tunes to play with and they said just the three


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
20Mustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Paradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Mustang13 View Post
Paradone , I didn't know they had a tune for that. I ask bama if there was any other tunes to play with and they said just the three


Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
This is a Ford Racing product.


http://www.fordracingparts.com/track...tomer_V1.0.pdf


manual transmissions
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
inspection connector JerryK123 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 09-03-2010 04:17 AM
New Jersey State Inspection 1fst5.4stang General Mustang Discussion 23 05-22-2010 07:52 AM
inspection 00STANG00 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 05-19-2010 02:22 AM
So my 89 failed inspection... MonteCitan The Bar 18 07-05-2005 11:51 PM
I dominated emissions in my second inspection wiarumas The Bar 4 02-17-2005 05:11 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:24 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.