If you have an Air Raid Intake Step in! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you have an Air Raid Intake Step in!

I'm looking to hear from people with Air Raid Intakes.

Mine has been on my '13 for aprx 1800 miles. Recently, I noticed that under acceleration I can hear the Intake hissing while I'm in and out of the gas. It doesn't just sound like the whooshing of a CAI but it sounds like there's a pin hole air leak hissing. Like an old car with a vacuum lining spitting air out. It's pretty loud and it's annoying me to no end. I tried taking the whole thing back off and remounting it. I tightened every connection. I found that the box had been missing a bottom screw for the coupler so the coupler was not attached at the bottom. I thought I hit the jack pot. Nope, Put it all back together 100% and it's still doing it.

This may have begun when I installed a Nitrous Outlet Plate a few weeks ago. I thought something related to that could be the issue but everything is 100%. It really sounds like it's the Filter and CAI making this obnoxious hissing noise.

Anyone else have this problem before I switch it all back to the stock one?
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Could be the air going around the butterfly in throttle body
Pullingees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Check that the hose clamp is nice and tight as well over the filter. The rubber coupler is 100% secure over the throttle body,
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullingees View Post
Could be the air going around the butterfly in throttle body
Could be... But sounds like it's coming from the filter.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Check that the hose clamp is nice and tight as well over the filter. The rubber coupler is 100% secure over the throttle body,
Triple checked .
Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Make sure the airaid box is inside of the air intake vent for the car. where air comes in from the grill. Next thing to do is try a different filter.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you have an SCT / Live link 2 datalogging software? You could easily just pull up the logger and measure the short term fuel trims to see if you have a vacuum leak. If you dont, you likely are just hearing the "whoosh" of the intake.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Justin81 gave Justin81 a great hint

Quote:
This may have begun when I installed a Nitrous Outlet Plate a few weeks ago. I thought something related to that could be the issue but everything is 100%. It really sounds like it's the Filter and CAI making this obnoxious hissing noise.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Do you have an SCT / Live link 2 datalogging software? You could easily just pull up the logger and measure the short term fuel trims to see if you have a vacuum leak. If you dont, you likely are just hearing the "whoosh" of the intake.
I have an SCT Livewire which is the full screen where you can watch every parameter while driving. The Shorts are right at 1 under WOT. The rest of the tune looks good however I am seeing some KR which is the whole reason all of this came about. IT will see anywhere from 1.5 to 3* in most WOT situations.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I meant checking at idle, your WOT fueling may be compensated for the nitrous so its hard to say. Anything much over 1.05 or so (assuming your MAF is dialed in) will typically mean a leak. Most leaks are usually pretty obvious though, regardless of how small, and will peg your trims around 1.30 - 1.40 or so. If your trims check out and you dont have a leak you know you're good.

I always have my datalogger plugged in when i start the car after messing with stuff like that to check for leaks, just makes things easier in the long run.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I meant checking at idle, your WOT fueling may be compensated for the nitrous so its hard to say. Anything much over 1.05 or so (assuming your MAF is dialed in) will typically mean a leak. Most leaks are usually pretty obvious though, regardless of how small, and will peg your trims around 1.30 - 1.40 or so. If your trims check out and you dont have a leak you know you're good.

I always have my datalogger plugged in when i start the car after messing with stuff like that to check for leaks, just makes things easier in the long run.
Yes, you're absolutely right about checking at idle.

I was watching it last night at WOT and the info was fresh in my head. At idle, it fluctuates from .98 - 1.02. The tune is a N/A Lund Tune which I never had an issue with before this. I always have my Livewire on the dash also so i'm always monitoring this too but that's good advice to watch Shorts at idle for issues. I don't believe there's a leak at this point I just think my Air Raid has a flaw that's causing this hissing sound. IT's there when revving it up with the hood open I can hear it. My main concern is the KR but i'm hoping it's due to High Humidity and possible change of my usual gas station. I'm on Empty now so I'll be filling up with the Usual Sunoco 93 and possibly mixing some 110 to rule out the gas issue.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Its possible. Could throw the stock air box back on there maybe to rule out the nitrous plate?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's definitely my next step. First i'm going to do the gas. If it still pulls timing i'm going to back up by going stock air box and than pull the nitrous plate. I'm not 100% confident in the Nitrous plate because I have already had 1 big problem with the Nitrous Outlet kit that was pretty f-ing stupid. After that, I'd like to pull the NOS plate and inspect it anyway.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm. well keep us posted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

« CAI | Gt500 muffler »