Question about data logging - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Question about data logging

I did a lot of researching into the new Mustang GT's before I bought mine. Mostly it was for what were things to look out for or expect for normal quirks. The talk about cyl #8 has got me concerned. An equal amount of research shows people claiming stock tune, and, ALL early tunes causing engine damage. My car is a 2012GT and the previous owner put on, so far as I can tell an airraid CAI and Borla exhaust, I am assuming just axle backs for now until I see the car on a lift.

Since there is a general consensus that if you make pretty much any changes the car will need a re-tune I'm concerned with my car's setup. I don't have enough time in these cars to have a good feel if one is tuned. So far as I can tell, since the dash tells me at odd times to shift 1->4 for fuel economy combined with the mpg I get it appears there is no tune on the car. Or if there was the dealer/ previous owner returned it to factory?

What is the best way I can tell if there is a tune on the car? Do I take it to the dealer and have them match the flash counter against their records? Should I be worried with the CAI install and running the factory tune? I have been looking at Ford's procal to get rid of the skip shift nonsense but I don't see how I would have easy access to data logging with their handheld. Or do they use the SCTx4 that seems to be popular now? I've looked for videos showing a data logging session on the SCTx4 and I have not found anything. Is there a way I can, without buying an AFR gauge read my AFR's and or my EGT's realtime?

I feel like I've got too much information to parse in making a choice here. I've never taken a car to a dyno before but I am wondering if that would be the best thing to do in order to gather all the data on what the car is doing.

I did read this thread, but can anyone chime in if the app allows you to record any of the monitored perimeters?
OBD II Bluetooth monitors

After more reading these obd ii apps do provide data logging

ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Region: Washington
I'm just going to hit on the thing I can hell with. Look at american muscles website and try to identify the airaid intake. Figure out if it is tune required or not. If it is required you have a tune because the car would be running like crap without. Mine wouldn't even run without the tune.

Note that some of the airaids have a thing inside that while it is there it is no tune required and while it is not it is tune required.... I hope some of this helped as it became jumbled into this mess I wrote lol

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Missouri
There's two versions of the airaid intake. One version is the race version that needs a tune or it'll run like crap. The other version has what airaid calls a modular venturi tube. It basically keeps the maf size the same so you don't need to get tune to use it. It's a black piece between the air filter and intake tube. I'd check to see if that's there and that can point you in some kind of direction
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT