Where did my spare go? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Where did my spare go?

So finally over the weekend I took out my car for a long drive and while driving I remembered I have no spare. It would really suck to get a flat and have to wait for a tow.

So which models have a spare. All I have in the back is an electrical pump that the car came with. So is this right? There definitely is a spot for a spare but where is it? Do all models come with no spare? Which ones do and don't?

I have a 2014 GT premium with Brembo Brakes and wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you have the Brembo brakes or Track Package it doesn't come with a spare because of the bigger brakes in the front. You can always get your own spare, if you get a flat in the front, put a rear wheel in the front and put the spare in the rear. I think people have also managed to get a full size tire in the spare wheel well.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Will another Brembo wheel and tire fit inside the spare tire well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I tried fitting my factory 19" rims and tires into the wheel well. Didn't work when we tried it, granted, we weren't going to force it.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Brembo and track pack GT's, and the higher performance models don't have a spare.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I tried fitting my factory 19" rims and tires into the wheel well. Didn't work when we tried it, granted, we weren't going to force it.
So do you carry a spare? If you do, what size?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The pump has tire goo in it. Unless you have a puncture in your sidewall, the goo should seal it. You may have to get a new pressure sensor,(because of the goo) but not always.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Also keep in mind that most AAA (type) companies only will replace a flat with a supplied spare. So, after waiting hours for them to show up, they will have to tow you to a service center(usually 20 mile max). Gets to be a real pain.
Read the fine print. Ask me how I happen to know this tidbit of info!
Troy
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
So do you carry a spare? If you do, what size?

The factory 18 inch, but I don't have the Brembo's, so mine came with a spare
Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Got this wheel: Black AMR Mustang Wheel - 18x8 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
I fitted a 225/50R18 tire to this wheel and it fits in the trunk space just fine. Just an FYI: If your mustang is lowered make sure you get a jack that is lower than 4 inches when compressed so it will fit under the side skirts with a flat tire.
califsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Region: Georgia
I have the Brembo package. I actually bought a spare tire (no wheel) and keep it in my trunk wheel well (yes it fits). I figure if I get a flat then any tire store, dealer or repair shop can help me swap rubber. It's not perfect but it is much more security. My tire is new, but you can buy an old takeoff for probably $25 that would work in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by califsp View Post
Got this wheel: Black AMR Mustang Wheel - 18x8 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
I fitted a 225/50R18 tire to this wheel and it fits in the trunk space just fine. Just an FYI: If your mustang is lowered make sure you get a jack that is lower than 4 inches when compressed so it will fit under the side skirts with a flat tire.
So did you take out the pump and put a jack in the trunk? I'm pretty sure the car doesn't come with an emergency jack also.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I said get a javk.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapo View Post
I have the Brembo package. I actually bought a spare tire (no wheel) and keep it in my trunk wheel well (yes it fits). I figure if I get a flat then any tire store, dealer or repair shop can help me swap rubber.
Do you still keep the fix a flat with you?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
Old 09-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No, I don't keep the sealant canister in my car. First, I have expensive forged wheels that I don't want coated with that crap. Second, the canister says not to use the sealant on tires with a speed rating of V, W and Y.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have the CS and mine has a donut tire spare. My buddy with the brembo pkg. had a flat up front and no spare of course. So we tried using my spare but it wouldn't get around his larger rotor. So that's a good point about switching a rear tire up front and then putting a spare the size of mine on the back. It shouldn't have a problem then. You should find a spare donut tire to keep in your car. I can't imagine they would be very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yeah, if you don't mind doing a double tire change, you're good.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Other things to keep in mind:

1) The 2011 and up Mustangs did not come with a spare tire. It was offered as "parts option" to add a donut type spare with a jack and lug wrench. Not sure if you can still order this through your local Ford parts department.

2) Some dealers added this parts option to their Mustangs when sold; most did not.

3) The can of "fix a flat" and compressor works good on bottom tread type punctures. However, it can contaminate the tire pressure monitor sensor. When I used it to fix a flat I had, the tire shop that I went to said the tire pressure monitor sensor needed to be replaced, and wanted 50 bucks more for the sensor (I had free tire repair from this tire store). Instead, I went to the Ford dealer and had them replace the tire pressure monitor sensor for free, as Ford supplied the "goo" as their way of telling me how to repair the flat, but nowhere in the owners manual did it inform me that the goo could damage the tire pressure monitor sensor. Therefore I politely insisted they replace it for free. With a bit of resistance, they finally did at no charge to me.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

1) The 2011 and up Mustangs did not come with a spare tire. It was offered as "parts option" to add a donut type spare with a jack and lug wrench. Not sure if you can still order this through your local Ford parts department.

2) Some dealers added this parts option to their Mustangs when sold; most did not.

3) The can of "fix a flat" and compressor works good on bottom tread type punctures. However, it can contaminate the tire pressure monitor sensor. When I used it to fix a flat I had, the tire shop that I went to said the tire pressure monitor sensor needed to be replaced, and wanted 50 bucks more for the sensor (I had free tire repair from this tire store). Instead, I went to the Ford dealer and had them replace the tire pressure monitor sensor for free, as Ford supplied the "goo" as their way of telling me how to repair the flat, but nowhere in the owners manual did it inform me that the goo could damage the tire pressure monitor sensor. Therefore I politely insisted they replace it for free. With a bit of resistance, they finally did at no charge to me.
That's not entirely accurate. SOME 2011+ didn't come with a spare tire. It depends on the equipment packages. My 2013 has a spare. But if I had the Brembo or performance package it would have the inflator. The spare won't clear the Brembo caliper - at least the spare that will fit in the spare tire well won't.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

That's not entirely accurate. SOME 2011+ didn't come with a spare tire. It depends on the equipment packages. My 2013 has a spare. But if I had the Brembo or performance package it would have the inflator. The spare won't clear the Brembo caliper - at least the spare that will fit in the spare tire well won't.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You would think, if you are spending $$$$ on upgrades, the least they could do is give you a freaking spare. Just sayin.
stangs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Jimc you are right.
Stang4me I agree!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Like he said, they do NOT come with a spare, some were given them. Pull 10 2011+, and I'd bet 9 don't have one. The auto v6 I looked at didn't, 2012, and the standard 2012 I bought didn't. I was told it was to save weight, and get to 31 mpg, but I don't know how true that is. Sure it helps, but I doubt a spare tire made or broke the MPG lol

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Slime does not ruin the pressure sensers

I bought slime after having a nightmare when I had my Mini JCW. I had a flat, Called AAA and they only will put a spare on for you. It was a run-flat tire and I had to drive about 20 Miles on I-4 before I could find a store with Fix-A-Flat. I put it in and it did get me going.
To make a long story short the Fix-A-Flat ruined my $125.00 BMW Mini senser .

I later found that a product called slime works just as good and does not ruin the sensor.
I bought two aerasol cans as well as the pummp kit.

I have not had a flat on my Mustang but I did use the air pump at the Orlando drag strip to refill my tires and my friend Tony's tires after we got done running. It works great.
I do carry all of my slime with me just in case I ever get a flat.
I did have a slow leak once and now have one tire with a patch plug in it.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT