Daily driver? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Daily driver?

Would a twin turbo be ok for a daily driver or would a stage 2 procharger be better for daily driver

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
If they are tuned properly, either one is fine.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
If they are tuned properly, either one is fine.

So neither would be better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Are you going to do anything else besides street driving?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Are you going to do anything else besides street driving?

Just the occasional car meets an occasional street race here and there of coarse but besides that just getting from home to work gym and school

Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Get a vortech kit, run 7psi and call it a day.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Daily driver?

Supercharger = simple install less tuning and power than a turbo. Great for DD. turbo = difficult to install and tune, more power than a supercharger and runs hot

2014 5.0 Auto - Vortech V3 Supercharger, UPR X-Pipe, Lund 93oct Tune, & Bassani Axle backs
BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Supercharger kit takes 6-10 hours to install and some comes with a tune already, great for a DD 600hp car. No need to feed oil lines too

2014 Black 5.0 - Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Bassani Axle backs
Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedStang View Post
Supercharger kit takes 6-10 hours to install and some comes with a tune already, great for a DD 600hp car. No need to feed oil lines too

2014 Black 5.0 - Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Bassani Axle backs

Boosted, is that all you have for performance modifications with the addition of the vortech?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I got the Vortech V3 Tuner kit, 47 Ib injectors, X pipe, and a lund tune

2014 5.0 Auto - Vortech V3 Supercharger, UPR X-Pipe, Lund 93oct Tune, & Bassani Axle backs
Old 09-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got the Vortech V3 Tuner kit, 47 Ib injectors, X pipe, and a lund tune

Very nice. That sounds awesome an not a lot of supporting mods to run that awesome setup. I wanted to finish off my exhaust, then save for the same kit.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I did get the x pipe first then add the kit lund does a great job in his base tune

Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
For a daily driver I would be more inclined to go with the turbo and then get an electric boost control so you can adjust the boost depending on the type of driving your doing. I'm sure a 6-7 hundred horsepower car is fun at the track and its cool to say you have it but I would get bored driving it on the street as a daily driver and never being able to give the car more then 1/4 - 1/2 throttle in normal driving conditions.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Daily driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
For a daily driver I would be more inclined to go with the turbo and then get an electric boost control so you can adjust the boost depending on the type of driving your doing. I'm sure a 6-7 hundred horsepower car is fun at the track and its cool to say you have it but I would get bored driving it on the street as a daily driver and never being able to give the car more then 1/4 - 1/2 throttle in normal driving conditions.

With a turbocharger I think it's a lot more involved though. A lot of exhaust plumbing depending on if you go twin, and other variables. The Paxton and Vortech kits make it so damn easy, and it's actually somewhat affordable at 5-6k give or take. I've seen the hellion kits go for over 10k. Yeah you'd make more power with turbos for sure, but I'd def forge the motor and get lower compression pistons for turbos. Unless you were to run 7-10psi. But who would wanna do that? Lol.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Daily driver?

Quote:
That's what I did get the x pipe first then add the kit lund does a great job in his base tune

Ahhhh ok. So you're on stock manifolds boosted? All I have currently on the car is an axle back. The rest of my money went into the suspension lol.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Generally people who think TT is great for daily use haven't lived with a an aftermarket TT setup over any duration of time. In addition to the collossal expense of a quality kit, there's a lot of piping, couplers, lines and engine bay heat to contend with over the simple bolt-on-and-go layout of a centrifugal or screw type positive displacement blower. It's easy to wind the boost down on a blower too, if you need to. A simple electronic boost controller or blowoff valve can accomplish this.

It all comes down to preference and toleration level for headaches.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Generally people who think TT is great for daily use haven't lived with a an aftermarket TT setup over any duration of time. In addition to the collossal expense of a quality kit, there's a lot of piping, couplers, lines and engine bay heat to contend with over the simple bolt-on-and-go layout of a centrifugal or screw type positive displacement blower. It's easy to wind the boost down on a blower too, if you need to. A simple electronic boost controller or blowoff valve can accomplish this.

It all comes down to preference and toleration level for headaches.

That's what I was leading to with the "plumbing" aspect, and you're right, Heat is a large problem with turbos. I'd only go TT if the car was no longer my daily, and was my weekend/track warrior. Now, and for the foreseeable future, this will be my DD.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
With a turbocharger I think it's a lot more involved though. A lot of exhaust plumbing depending on if you go twin, and other variables. The Paxton and Vortech kits make it so damn easy, and it's actually somewhat affordable at 5-6k give or take. I've seen the hellion kits go for over 10k. Yeah you'd make more power with turbos for sure, but I'd def forge the motor and get lower compression pistons for turbos. Unless you were to run 7-10psi. But who would wanna do that? Lol.

Sure a turbo has some exhaust replacement but honestly who superchargers a car and leaves the exhaust stock? There are single turbo kits in the high 6k range low 7 k range while the S/C the OP is looking at is a little over 6k. So sure it's more expensive if its a better setup then whats 700-1000 more when your already looking at close to 10k for the build?

In order to make a clear decision though I would think it would depend on how much power he plans to make. He said he basically is using it as a DD that he plans to attend car shows and occasionally street race. So I would ask how much HP he wants as it seems like it would be achievable with a single turbo.

Me personally (unless there are budget restraints) and wanted a high HP car as a DD I would go with the turbo over a S/C for the fact that if setup correctly I could adjust the boost and HP levels with a boost controller and not have to worry about switching pulleys. Sure it sounds cool to have a 6-7 HP car as a DD but like I said I would get bored with it basically never being able to give the car more then half throttle under normal driving conditions. I've seen this type of setup work great with other people where they have it setup to where they can keep the boost low and actually DD the car with the ability to turn it up to race.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This sounds like classic reasoning from Neverdunit Land.

You can adjust boost and HP levels easily with an SC by changing pulleys or using a blowoff valve or boost controller, same as a turbo.

The step up ratio in a blower's nose case eliminates any lag issues and allows one to run a large head unit without drivability penalties the way running a large frame turbo setup does.

All that exhaust piping creates significant durability problems long term, with many couplings, joints to fail and heat baking everything underhood to a nice golden brown over time.

Tuning a turbo setup is infinitely more complicated than a crank driven blower as the amount of exhaust flow and heat expansion that powers the turbo varies all the time, whereas the drive on a blower is linear with RPM.

I like turbos, have had great fun with them across a variety of platforms but, for day to day forced induction that's easy to live with, tune, install and keep running long haul, SC is the way to go.

Quote:
Sure a turbo has some exhaust replacement but honestly who superchargers a car and leaves the exhaust stock? There are single turbo kits in the high 6k range low 7 k range while the S/C the OP is looking at is a little over 6k. So sure it's more expensive if its a better setup then whats 700-1000 more when your already looking at close to 10k for the build?

In order to make a clear decision though I would think it would depend on how much power he plans to make. He said he basically is using it as a DD that he plans to attend car shows and occasionally street race. So I would ask how much HP he wants as it seems like it would be achievable with a single turbo.

Me personally (unless there are budget restraints) and wanted a high HP car as a DD I would go with the turbo over a S/C for the fact that if setup correctly I could adjust the boost and HP levels with a boost controller and not have to worry about switching pulleys. Sure it sounds cool to have a 6-7 HP car as a DD but like I said I would get bored with it basically never being able to give the car more then half throttle under normal driving conditions. I've seen this type of setup work great with other people where they have it setup to where they can keep the boost low and actually DD the car with the ability to turn it up to race.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

You can adjust boost and HP levels easily with an SC by changing pulleys or using a blowoff valve or boost controller, same as a turbo.

The step up ratio in a blower's nose case eliminates any lag issues and allows one to run a large head unit without drivability penalties the way running a large frame turbo setup does.

All that exhaust piping creates significant durability problems long term, with many couplings, joints to fail and heat baking everything underhood to a nice golden brown over time.

Tuning a turbo setup is infinitely more complicated than a crank driven blower as the amount of exhaust flow and heat expansion that powers the turbo varies all the time, whereas the drive on a blower is linear with RPM.

I like turbos, have had great fun with them across a variety of platforms but, for day to day forced induction that's easy to live with, tune, install and keep running long haul, SC is the way to go.

^

Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Daily driver?

Quote:

Apparently a lot of people are running axle backs and x pipes with vortechs to answer your question lol. For the OP's needs, I'd definitely go with a supercharger. Less things to go wrong, ease of install, tunability, cost, etc. Vortech/Paxton makes it very simplistic. Another thing to consider, is if he's DD'ing, without the intent of doing internals, he's going to wanna stay with a relatively safe power level. And while that's achievable with turbos, it's just easier, and cheaper to go the SC route.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ROTFLMAO

For a daily driver it is MUCH more practical going with a centri or PD blower than a TT or single turbo. Turbos make awesome power, but if you have a manual transmission, add another layer of complications. My son and I installed our Vortech on the car and with the torque booster now, we are making 650 rwhp and 500 rwtq. The car IS a daily driver as he has it at school and it runs awesome. Made many trips this summer in the car in the Texas heat and you would never know the car is not stock......uh until you hear the Tial BOV make the car sound like a jet engine.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Ahhhh ok. So you're on stock manifolds boosted? All I have currently on the car is an axle back. The rest of my money went into the suspension lol.

Yea, headers is a pain. And a supercharger kit is way easier than headers.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Superchargers are cheap vs turbos, I got a Vortech Tuner kit for 5K and the rest injectors, and a tune after.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
OP as you can see you'll get a hundred dif answers as to S/C vs TT. But to answer your question I'd say it doesn't really matter which one for a DD. With both you can pretty much keep it from engaging by simply driving normal (under 3k rpm for S/C and under 4k for turbo). Generally

'13 Fastlane Stage 3 Whipple-JLT 127-FRPP Springs-GT Quad-20"True Forge Chicanes-Custom Katskin Interior-Etc...
2013 Mustang GT Fastlane Stage 3 Race Red-Matte Black GT 500 Stripes-2.3 Whipple-20" TF Chicanes-R888's-Brembos-Slotted/Drilled-Custom Katskin interior-Suspension and other goodies...603/498 http://youtu.be/wa73L4lF3Ws
Fastlane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Daily driver?

Both are the same, but if your looking for a simple, cheaper install it will be a S/C. If your looking for a lot of power then turbo is the way to go, but the install will take 10-15 hours extra than a S/C due to the Exhaust

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT