New Mustang owner - Opinions welcome - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Region: Kentucky
New Mustang owner - Opinions welcome

I've never owned a Mustang but have been interested in them for quite a while. I was kind of wanting to wait and see the 2015's in person before making a decision, but when I saw this 2014 I couldn't make myself wait. I checked with my local dealer and had him search his database for the car that I was wanting. His search of more than 300 dealerships turned up 1 car that fit what I was wanting and it was only 3 hours away. Went and picked it up the next day. It's a 2014 premium GT with track pack, brembo brakes, the shaker pro audio with the 10" sub in the trunk - lots of good stuff. I attached a couple of quick cell phone shots to see until I can work in some real pictures.

So, i'm wanting to do a few things to it and perhaps even get in a few car shows. I'm certainly not an expert on modifying cars or working on cars, so any and all opinions and advice is welcome. Here's what i'm planning to order this week, and this is a daily driver:

GT 500 axle back exhaust - Love the deeper, slightly more aggressive tone without being loud. My wife would probably agree, although she doesn't understand why I would spend more money on the car...

Steeda CAI and bama x4 tuner

Oil separator

Steeda springs to drop it about an inch, eliminating a little of that gap while not sacrificing ride quality. I don't think i'll have to do adjustable panhard bar, shocks/struts, or camber plates with these springs - BUT advice on this is welcome because I really don't know sh*t about it.

Cosmetically - probably not a whole lot. Considering splitters for the headlights, thought about roush style grills and fog lights, but not sold on the idea. I will probably do some things to dress up under the hood.

I guess i'm asking - what should I do to this car? I'd kind of like to do some car shows, it is a daily driver and while I may occasionally take it to the track, I'm not looking to sacrifice reliability for performance.

Thanks in advance for recommendations and/or opinions.

pandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Congrats on the new mustang , looks awesome !!! Your mustang doesn't need much , just depending on what's your goals for the car . Custom wheels , steeda springs wouldn't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dentman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would do the roush splitters all around to give it that aggressive look

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You have a good lookin car.
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thx white14v6 , this is what she looked like before Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410703653.876823.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	815.0 KB
ID:	165956

Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Damn those seats look nice, personally I'd go with a Steeda or AED tune myself.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Thanks white14v6 (if that was meant for me) and dentman. I was going to look at some custom wheels, but what's on there looks pretty damn nice. I kind of wanted black wheels, but now that i've seen what's on there i'm not sure if the black would look good. I know there are some small black accents on the car, but it's still questionable right now. I actually saw a saleen with white wheels that might look pretty b.a.

Clink - Do you have a specific reason you would share as to why you would go with Steeda or AED over Bama?

edit: The Brembo brake calipers right now are black and it says "Brembo" in red letters. I wish I could get those in red with white letters. Anyone know of a place that might carry some covers that would fit?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have zero tuning experience but Steeda is local, and I've heard nothing but good things about AED.

Not so much good stuff about Bama but again not basing off personal experience, just what I read on multiple forums.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Since it's a manual, I would wait on the tune.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I agree , wait on a tune , I'm still running with no tune on my 14 had it since March only have 3100 miles on it , it's a manual

Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Tune will void warranty work, just drive her (car) a couple of thousand miles to make sure your transmission is solid.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly , to make sure there are no bugs in the drive train , just drive and enjoy the car she has plenty of horse pwr

Old 09-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #13

Thanks for the input,everyone. Going to hold off on the tune. What are your thoughts on some white wheels? Only example I can find is from this forum:

White gt with what color wheels?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just tapped on the link but nothing showed up on your pic

Old 09-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

If you google "white wheels mustang" you'll see the Saleen I'm referring to.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool I will check them out

Old 09-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410728528.412382.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	165993Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410728545.822462.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	165994Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410728558.260150.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	662.3 KB
ID:	165996Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410728572.648547.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	165998

Old 09-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

First 2 pics. But damn that last car is sick.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ya that last car has 10g worth of wheels and tires

Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That first wheel would look hot on your car , combined with a saleen lowering springs

Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #21

10g's is nothing for wheels and tires. Were they clearance or something? /sarcasm

Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Lol lol

Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats on your new mustang! Sexy and those seats. Does it have tint? If not, I would say put it.

I like the rims you have right now. But white ones will look nice also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman43 View Post
I think the last two pics and first pic would look nice on your stang. Just my thought.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet looking car!!!! I vote yes to white wheels. Black wheels are nice but lose their design image at a distance. Definitely do suspension too and that will be a head turner.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman43 View Post
Attachment 165993

Where can I find these Window Louvers? It's exactly what I'm looking for. They mount onto the window in stead of the body of the car, correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandp View Post
I've never owned a Mustang but have been interested in them for quite a while. I was kind of wanting to wait and see the 2015's in person before making a decision, but when I saw this 2014 I couldn't make myself wait. I checked with my local dealer and had him search his database for the car that I was wanting. His search of more than 300 dealerships turned up 1 car that fit what I was wanting and it was only 3 hours away. Went and picked it up the next day. It's a 2014 premium GT with track pack, brembo brakes, the shaker pro audio with the 10" sub in the trunk - lots of good stuff. I attached a couple of quick cell phone shots to see until I can work in some real pictures.

So, i'm wanting to do a few things to it and perhaps even get in a few car shows. I'm certainly not an expert on modifying cars or working on cars, so any and all opinions and advice is welcome. Here's what i'm planning to order this week, and this is a daily driver:

GT 500 axle back exhaust - Love the deeper, slightly more aggressive tone without being loud. My wife would probably agree, although she doesn't understand why I would spend more money on the car...

Oil separator

Steeda springs to drop it about an inch, eliminating a little of that gap while not sacrificing ride quality. I don't think i'll have to do adjustable panhard bar, shocks/struts, or camber plates with these springs - BUT advice on this is welcome because I really don't know sh*t about it.

Cosmetically - probably not a whole lot. Considering splitters for the headlights, thought about roush style grills and fog lights, but not sold on the idea. I will probably do some things to dress up under the hood.

I guess i'm asking - what should I do to this car? I'd kind of like to do some car shows, it is a daily driver and while I may occasionally take it to the track, I'm not looking to sacrifice reliability for performance.

Dat interior...
Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #27

Region: Ohio
info

FYI... The last car is a 1 of 1 built by ford. based on the thunderbird plan it is one of the special mustangs built by ford for auction to support the EAA young eagles program..
U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds Edition Mustang Sells For $398k

And as for mustang upgrades, ( i am no expert since i just bought my own stang), but Mustang Parts & Performance | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping! has a lot of stuff that i may have to start purchasing...

nice looking stang. normally i say go with black wheels, but on your stang I would probably go with white as well.. just my two cents.

Quote:
First 2 pics. But damn that last car is sick.

chris2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Oil separator

Pandp-Welcome to MustangEvolution and congratulations! That's a gorgeous car and hands down my favorite color combination. White on Red works well on so many levels!

Ford Racing's GT500 Axleback is widely regarded around here as a favorite. Great mid range tone/timber, livable around town, and once you're hitting wide open throttle it's a completely different animal!

Steeda's CAI & Bama's SF4 Tuner is a win win. Both Steeda and Bama have been in the aftermarket tuning community for some time and there service is paramount for gearheads like us (Sidenote, what kind of car are you coming out of?) I'm sure TJ will chime in here in the next few minutes and let us know about the cai as well One of the greatest things about Bama is that they'll create something that's entirely individual to you. No one Mustang has the same computer and they're all going to react differently to tuning.

Steeda makes a great set of springs as well-They do a slew of testing and development on and off the track and they're definitely a great buy but if you're going to be lowering the car we would highly recommend looking into a Panhard bar-They're going to not only aid in helping traction loss but to also keep the rear axle centered. On a brand new car I think you're going to be fine using the OEM Struts and Shocks as well.

My personal recommendation right now would be to get used to the car! There's always going to be something that can be changed, but get used to it first!

Let me know if you're to have any questions, I'm a PM away!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'd avoid white wheels for two reasons. First, they'll get dirty as hell really quick. If you are a clean fanatic, go a different direction. Second, as crazy as it sounds, whites can be hard to color match. I've purchased some white 5.0 emblems and other dress up parts and ultimately not installed them/returned them due to the color being different. Here is the direction I went with my car...dark RTRClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410791275.439486.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	166058 wheels

CNFLCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The first thing every Mustang owner should do with their S197 is lower it! That wheel gap is awful and it will handle MUCH better. No other mods are needed to add FRPP springs and drop her an inch.

'13 Fastlane Stage 3 Whipple-JLT 127-FRPP Springs-GT Quad-20"True Forge Chicanes-Custom Katskin Interior-Etc...
2013 Mustang GT Fastlane Stage 3 Race Red-Matte Black GT 500 Stripes-2.3 Whipple-20" TF Chicanes-R888's-Brembos-Slotted/Drilled-Custom Katskin interior-Suspension and other goodies...603/498 http://youtu.be/wa73L4lF3Ws
Fastlane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane13 View Post
The first thing every Mustang owner should do with their S197 is lower it! That wheel gap is awful and it will handle MUCH better. No other mods are needed to add FRPP springs and drop her an inch.

'13 Fastlane Stage 3 Whipple-JLT 127-FRPP Springs-GT Quad-20"True Forge Chicanes-Custom Katskin Interior-Etc...
So springs should be just fine? No need for a panhard bar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Slick looking car. Definitely unique.

I agree with above... white wheels are going to be extreme hard to keep clean.

Personally, I kind of like the stock Brembo's. People "in the know" know that those wheels come on the cars with Brembo packages and can appreciate that from a distance.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #33

I agree about the white wheels and appreciate the opinions. I actually really like the wheels that are on it so it would be dumb to spend money there. Definitely lowering and will take the advice to get a panhard bar too. Springs and the panhard bar - is this something the dealership could do for me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing wrong with keeping the wheels stock. I like mine too. The dealership can do it for you but will prob charge a lot. I did my suspension in the garage with a buddy and it wasn't hard. The rear are ridiculously easy and the front require a little more work. Not too bad though.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats! Looks amazing!
Sahelmadani is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT