Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I want 285s

10K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  DallasStang77 
#1 ·
So I know I eventually want to put 285s in the rear but I don't know what I would need to successfully put them on. Because I know I can't just slap on a pair of 285s in the rear and call it a day, right? And also are there are tired you'd recommend? Thank you!!

#3 ·
The tires themselves will fit. You just need a wider wheel to put them on. The brand you use can affect it pretty well also. A 275 BFG and a 305 Nitto are just about the same width (one runs wider than normal, the other runs more narrow than normal). But normally a 285 is going to be just a tad narrow for a 10 inch wide wheel. So if you go with a 9.5" wheel they should fit well, if you go with a 10 inch wide wheel then look into a 295 or 305.

#6 ·
No way will a 285 go on an 8" rim, not while maintaining any sort of useful contact patch. I have 275 (nitto INVO) on a 9.5" rim now and i would call it just about flush, and would personally recommend a 10" rim for a 285. I'm sure i could get a 285 on my current rim, but again with the whole "effective contact patch" thing. Try to put to large of a tire on too small of a rim and you'll actually pull the side walls in, reducing your effective contact patch ... learned that the hard way burning through more expensive (larger) tires, with no traction benefits.

#10 ·
285 nittos on 10 inch wide wheel looks stupid, and that's by experience

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#17 ·
If I was to get a set of 20x9's whats the widest tire I could put on them? 275 I would guess. AM suggests that a 255 is what gets used but I would rather get more tire on there if possible! Maybe a 265 if 275 is too big? Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread here just been looking into rims and tires and not entirely sure what I can get away with or not.

#18 ·
Again, the biggest tire that will fit, and the tire that will generate the best contact patch are not the same thing. A 275 will fit on a 9" rim, but it will pull the sidewalls in, and you wont end up with much more contact patch than a 255 anyways. Just save the money and get a better 255 tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.