Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Hood Struts

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  JimC 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
Any thoughts on which aftermarket hood struts are best for the 2012 cars?

I put American Muscle struts on my 2003 Mach 1 and had to drill new holes in the fender brackets. I want to avoid that for my 2012.

Thanks, JB

#6 ·
Redline Tuning on mine as well, bolted on in like 10 minutes and look factory.

#9 ·
MMD Hood Struts and/or Redline tuning should do the trick! I'm sorry to hear you had to drill into the previous struts you had for your Mach 1. Sounds like something was defective there. I've had the MMD Hood Struts on my last 3 Mustangs and have them on my current 2011 GT and absolutely love them. Super easy to install and fit great!

Let me know if we can be of any assistance or if you have any questions for me!

-Dan

#11 ·
I use the redlines, I had the mmds and didn't like the stress it out on the hood.
What stress are you talking about? I have the MMD's on my 2012 and im not seeing where there is "stress". They installed super easy and hold the hood up just like they are supposed to.

#12 ·
Toward the windshield it was slightly raised. When I replaced them with the redlines, it was smoother and had a better fit. This is my opinion only.

The MMDs seemed better built but the redlines (in my opinion) fit better and seem smoother.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#14 · (Edited)
Toward the windshield it was slightly raised.
You know its funny you say that because when I bought mine my buddy with a 2011 told me that it would be raised at the windshield as well. I installed them and its perfect. If you dont relocate the sound tube mount then it will be raised on the driver side. I asked him if he relocated the sound tube mount and he said no. I think that was the issue with the MMD ones. But maybe just in my case.

#13 ·
as said, there is no comparison to the redline tuning pieces, very high quality

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

#18 ·
^^^ I'm confused, are you using redline or mmd? at any rate, I'm sure either company will replace that if they're brand new......

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

#19 ·
MMD. They might. eticket said they were better built, and I said they might be better but not 'well' built. I don't think plastic has nay place on these $90 items.

AM might replace them? I won't know until Monday or until Alex sees my PM.

I'm losing faith in AM. I understand that Alex has done great and the customer service is great but you should not need customer service. I've had problems with 2 out of three orders now.

#23 ·
They are not redline. They are MMD. I have contacted AM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
mmd's wont hold a candle to the quality of Redlines, the install is much easier as well. I color matched my mounting hardware :thumb:

#26 ·
That's exactly how mine looked. I felt there was too much 'pressure' on there. The redlines fit like they were a factory option. Also, although not mentioned, the redlines do not require re routing of the windshield washer line.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#27 ·
I've been running redline hood struts since I got my 2012. They're holding up better than my truck struts haha

Sent from the Death Star.

#28 ·
I think if they were all metal construction it would have to be greased often to prevent the joint from seizing up. I've had these MMD's on my car for a few years and I haven't had any issues. Maybe your particular part was defective?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#29 ·
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the input. AM replaced the first set for the Mach 1. It was the same as the first. The solution was to drill a new hole in the fender bracket so that the bracket would sit flat in the fender indentation. I have photographed the fix and will send it to AM.
I decided to go with the MRT units for the 2012 Boss as they could match the color. The way the fender bracket is made, I think the install will be very simple.
I will report back after I talk to AM.
JB

#32 · (Edited)
I really like those CPC painted ones.

Though it kind of grinds my gears that I'd have to pony up $143 for something that should have been stock on the car, and isn't really necessary AND adds weight.

Though, that said, I'll probably end up buying a pair in a few weeks when I'm done with the suspension mods. Problem is the suspension parts list keeps growing.

#33 ·
I'd bet money if you needed a replacement strut you could probably get one at an auto parts store.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.