Broken strut - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Broken strut

So...I understand that the industry standard is that parts are usually warrantied, and you're SOL on any labor cost, but this isn't right. Do you think I should ask for some reimbursement from the cost of labor and the additional damaged components? The shop would have fixed this for free I'm sure, but I don't live near them anymore. I will leave the vendors name out of this, because they have been super helpful and they are great people, and if I could get to their shop, they would sort everything out for freeAttachment 166385. But they haven't said anything about helping with the repair bill. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Here's a pic. ..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411063265227.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	166386  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Ouch man. Are those factory
Struts with lowering springs? And how did it happen

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Road Trip!

They are aftermarket struts. My car has never seen a track, pot hole or even speed bump. I don't know how it happened. That rod is steel and it broke off where it starts to thread. So it seems like it's a quality control issue with the manufacturer, or a design flaw. I don't know. The labor bill is $519. Should I ask for some of this back?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Did you install the struts or did a shop? If the shop did the install the I'd ask for money back. A lot of service centers will charge labor
If they didn't do the install themselves.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I would contact the aftermarket manufacturer of the strut. Complain about the broken strut, tell them how many miles you've put on the car since install (telling them that you have documentation of that with a professional installation receipt). Ask them if they'd like you to send in the broken part for analysis, etc.

If they're putting out parts that break and could put you in to a wall at high speed when they fail they could be sued. So they should want to see what the problem is. My guess is probably overtightening of the bolt by the installer using an air ratchet at too high of a torque setting.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Road Trip!

The manufacturer is replacing it. And no it wasn't an install issue. The install was done at one of the most reputable shops in the u.s

It's a manufacturer issue, but I want them to help me out with the installation cost. This typically isn't the norm in this industry, but I feel like it's appropriate in my situation.

I would go back to this shop but they're 850 miles away now.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
PM me the brand of struts if you don't want to state it here? What kind of springs? They look like SR...

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Good luck getting anything back from the manufacturer. More than likely they will blame the shop that put them on, regardless of their reputation.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you bought them from AM, there's a chance they'll reimburse you provided you send over a receipt from the shop.

I bought a set of rims+tires from AM w/ the free mount+balance. Weights on the rims fell off, had to get a new mount+balance locally. Faxed them the bill ($~55) and they credited my account with $55.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
after my strut broke installing lowering springs... i took it to ford and they charged $160 to fix it.
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Hopefully I can talk them down in price.

The manufacturer can't blame the shop. I think things will get worked out. It did, however almost cause me to get in a head on collision. I'm hoping that this is an isolated incident.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
$519 for the original install of everything, or for the replacement of the one strut? If the shop that initially installed the strut used an impact gun to tighten the nut that holds the strut to the mount, or if they over-torqued it, that could have caused its failure. Even reputable shops can possibly make mistakes. Anywho, hopefully things work out for you man.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Road Trip!

For the last time, the install was fine and the torque specs were fine. The purpose of the post was to get advice on whether or not I should ask the shop to reimburse the cost.

It's 519 for the labor of putting two struts and mounts in and taking the old ones out and aligning the car, plus the diagnostic fee. It is what it is. If I tow the car the price will still be around the same price.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

The struts and mounts are being shipped from the manufacturer for free.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The shop is performing a service of installation. If the installation was wrong or was cause for the damage then yes, they should provide some sort of refund to you. If this is a manufacture defect, I don't think the shop has any fault in that as they're not the ones who built the strut. As long as the installation was correct then their work and charge for labor should be out of the question. could you talk to the manufacturer? Sure, but I doubt they will provide you with any funds for the labor charge. If you read their warranty I'm pretty sure it will state that if damaged labor charges will not be reimbursed.

Again, if the installation was correct and it was due to an actual part the shop is not held responsible however, a good shop will always provide support.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
The shop is performing a service of installation. If the installation was wrong or was cause for the damage then yes, they should provide some sort of refund to you. If this is a manufacture defect, I don't think the shop has any fault in that as they're not the ones who built the strut. As long as the installation was correct then their work and charge for labor should be out of the question. could you talk to the manufacturer? Sure, but I doubt they will provide you with any funds for the labor charge. If you read their warranty I'm pretty sure it will state that if damaged labor charges will not be reimbursed.

Again, if the installation was correct and it was due to an actual part the shop is not held responsible however, a good shop will always provide support.
So if the OP had the failed parts installed at your shop, what would you do for him if he came back with the failed parts still on the car and a replacement part(s)? Offer to install the new part(s) at a discount price or what? Just wondering what a 'good shop' can do and what they would do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT