5.0 Auto Tune Choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
5.0 Auto Tune Choice

I have to make a decision on a Mike Roush or AED tune for my 2014 5.0 Auto.

Both have great reviews.

Anyway want to try to push me over the edge on either one?
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mike rousch!! Best auto tuner you can find!!!!! Just switched from Steeda to him and its a whole different machine.
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Shaun @ AED has stated on SVT Performance if he had an auto he would pick Mike Rousch.

But they are good friends and probably share a lot of their tuning secrets with each other.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've been on the fence with the exact same dilemma. Will probably go with MidAtlantic.....

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
I've been on the fence with the exact same dilemma. Will probably go with MidAtlantic.....
Based on?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a Lund tune on my automatic and it has definitely woken it up. However all this about mike rousch is making me wonder whether I got the right one?

14' GT PREMIUM
DEEP IMPACT BLUE
mav351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I recommend Justin at VMP. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GTCS View Post
I have to make a decision on a Mike Roush or AED tune for my 2014 5.0 Auto.

Both have great reviews.

Anyway want to try to push me over the edge on either one?
Hey,

I can't help but notice you're looking for the best tune out there and I think I can help. I'm so confident that you're going to love Bama's that I'm willing to get you set up with a tune/tuner for free in return for an honest review in this thread.

If you don't like it and want to run your stock tune I'll cover the shipping back here no questions asked. If you love it, it's on me. If this is something you're interested in shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up as I know you would be blown away by what they're able to do for the 11+ Automatic Coyotes.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've been debating what to choose also.

The problem initially for me is that I have a brand new car & was concerned about warranty, so my first choice was Ford's ProCal. But then I heard it does nothing for the auto transmission shifting, etc.. And that I should go with Lund, SCT, etc.. (almost any of the aftermarkets to provide firm/faster shifts).

Then I read this:

Quote:
from FRPP catalog about ProCal (not TrackCal) and auto trans:
Ford Racing Performance Parts 2014

"Automatic transmission calibration is an area where Ford Racing sets itself apart from other “tuners.” We generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels we feel would be unacceptable to a customer. In development we monitor things like clutch slip times, slip energies, band temperatures and other variables to make calibration changes as appropriate so that the customer can be sure of a quality product that will continue to deliver improved performance in the long-term. As mentioned before, these changes are performed by the same engineers who designed and developed the vehicles in the first place, and who are more familiar than anyone with their performance and durability envelopes."

"Many of our competitors develop their calibrations exclusively on a chassis dyno and go straight from there to the end customer. While dyno work is a critical part of the development process, it is only one piece of a very complex puzzle. Calibrating for wide open throttle (WOT) is generally simple, but the bulk of the calibration effort is getting the part (and closed) throttle drivability correct. Our calibrations are developed not only on the dyno, but also on the street for production (or better) quality drivability, and across many vehicles to allow for manufacturing tolerances. Varied driving conditions, constant data monitoring and long-term testing ensure consistent drivability and exceptional durability.

In recent years, cars and trucks have shifted toward electronic throttle control (ETC) or “drive-by-wire” systems for packaging, cost and enhanced calibration functions. Ford Racing calibrations for ETC vehicles take advantage of some of the increased functionality offered by these systems by changing the relationship between the pedal and the throttle for improved “performance feel.” This allows us to provide substantial improvements in “performance feel” even on the kits where the peak horsepower increase might be considered modest by some.
The peak power numbers do not always tell the whole story."
But I've still be seeing feedback that people say they didn't feel any noticeable difference with the ProCal's shifting performance. Their times are faster, hp is obviously up. I'm wondering if Ford Racing stuck their shifting performance increases in the S mode (instead of standard D mode, which they're probably reserving for better gas mileage mode).
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I've been debating what to choose also.

The problem initially for me is that I have a brand new car & was concerned about warranty, so my first choice was Ford's ProCal. But then I heard it does nothing for the auto transmission shifting, etc.. And that I should go with Lund, SCT, etc.. (almost any of the aftermarkets to provide firm/faster shifts).

Then I read this:

But I've still be seeing feedback that people say they didn't feel any noticeable difference with the ProCal's shifting performance. Their times are faster, hp is obviously up. I'm wondering if Ford Racing stuck their shifting performance increases in the S mode (instead of standard D mode, which they're probably reserving for better gas mileage mode).
My father has a 2014 5.0 and just had a Ford dealership install the pro cal tune. It got rid of the throttle delay but that is really it. The ONLY reason he went with pro cal is because he wanted to keep his Ford factory warranty guaranteed and no other reason. Once the factory warranty is up I'm confident he will switch to Bama.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A few guy here said they ran Bama tunes and then switched to Mike Rousch and said there was a significant difference for the better. They were glad they switched.

WWW.S197FORUM.COM
Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If I can actually, by some miracle, be ok-ed for a tune. Ford Racing for me. Sure it leaves the shifting still somewhat bad, but I've heard that the lag is greatly reduced (main gripe with the shifting) and the extra torque below 2K would be great. The car is too soft down low. Plus, factory warranty is in place. Unless they prove the tune caused the failure, then it's FRPP's 3 year warranty.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback.

Just ordered my X4 and Mike Roush Auto tune.

Should have in a week.

I will post up my thoughts after install.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be tuned in for your results.... pun intended. :0

I only have 800 miles on my 2 month old car, so I'll mostly likely go with ProCal.

But when warranty is up, I'll probably switch also.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GTCS View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Just ordered my X4 and Mike Roush Auto tune.

Should have in a week.

I will post up my thoughts after install.
Good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I'll be tuned in for your results.... pun intended. :0

I only have 800 miles on my 2 month old car, so I'll mostly likely go with ProCal.

But when warranty is up, I'll probably switch also.
This is certainly understandable.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Where do you order a Mike Roush Auto Tune?
2013 GT A6 ROUSH CAI, BOSS MANIFOLD INTAKE, BORLA "ATAK" CATBACK EXHAUST WITH BORLA X PIPE, X 4 TUNER WITH CUSTOM TUNE BY STANGHI, STEEDA PANDHAR BAR, ROUSH COIL SPRINGS, ROUSH UPPER CONTROL ARM, ROUSH LOWER CONTROL ARMS, 1.5" DROP FRONT, 2" DROP REAR 20X9/20X10.5 CONCAVO CW-5'S
Mike_waldroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Call Mike and order over the phone.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Mid Atlantic Performance

For anyone that needs to contact Mike Rousch.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 Auto Tune Choice

I would go with roush or AED. I have a 14 mt and I had a Bama tune for a week or so roughly until I contacted Shaun@AED and data logged with him in the Bama tune and was told that Bama tune was leaning out #8.
After many data logs and working with Shaun I love my AED tune it is simply amazing and my car pulls like a freight train, also if you like the lope tune I picked up a lope option from Shaun and it sounds phenomenal.

14GT JLT cai, cat deletes, o/r x, outlaw catback, bbk 85mm tb, Barton short throw& two post bracket, bobs auto sports oil catch can... More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AllBlack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Received my X4 with my Rousch tune today. Just loaded it and went for a drive.

I will keep this simple and short.

It transformed my auto into a crazy fun car.
Shift points are firm and it blows the tires off in 1st / 2nd / chirps in 3rd at WOT. Keep in mind I am running 275's in the back, not skinny 245's and no other mods except axle backs.

Throttle response is perfect.

We are going to do a round of data logging this weekend just to make sure we are dialed in, but so far, best money I have spent.

Mike Rousch is the only cat that will tune my car.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
👍👍👍
What did he set your shift points at when you're WOT?
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey,

I can't help but notice you're looking for the best tune out there and I think I can help. I'm so confident that you're going to love Bama's that I'm willing to get you set up with a tune/tuner for free in return for an honest review in this thread.

If you don't like it and want to run your stock tune I'll cover the shipping back here no questions asked. If you love it, it's on me. If this is something you're interested in shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up as I know you would be blown away by what they're able to do for the 11+ Automatic Coyotes.

Alex

I'm surprised that nobody has jumped on this offer. A free tune/tuner for an honest review? Sign me up!!
Jago1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago1021 View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has jumped on this offer. A free tune/tuner for an honest review? Sign me up!!
Makes you wonder huh?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Makes you wonder huh?

Now that you mentioned it, it does.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Because plenty of tuners are better than Bama.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Because plenty of tuners are better than Bama.

But it's not like if I load the BAMA tune, the engine is going to blow up right? So I don't see how it could hurt to try. Please excuse my ignorance on all this, I'm fairly new to the tuning world and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I think, but am not certain, Bama has bad more engine failures than any other tuning company with the 5.0's. If your an auto, go with Mike Rousch of mid Atlantic performance. Manual, Lund or AED.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But it's not like if I load the BAMA tune, the engine is going to blow up right? So I don't see how it could hurt to try. Please excuse my ignorance on all this, I'm fairly new to the tuning world and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Bro, you will find that many on the site are not huge fans of Bama. I personally have been running bama tunes for almost 4 years and never a days trouble. Bama provides very safe, reliable tunes and if anything they would run on the rich side to be safe. Safe and reliable is the key to Bama. A lot of hard core performance 5.0 enthusiasts run Lund tuning and they claim it is much better and get faster times.

Funny how all this talk about how there are better choices out there than bama tunes, Alex from Bama threw out a challenge to race anyone's other tune agaist Bama and yet no takers.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I can tell you that for me the choice was not about $. It was about reputation and service.
Thats why I went with Mike Rousch and passed on the freebie from AM.
Base tune was almost perfect. Did 4 data logs at different RPM ranges and Mike sent me a final tune.
Car runs amazing.

If someone came to me for a referral, hands down Mike Rousch.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Mike Rousch is by far the best tuner for the automatic
Old 10-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro, you will find that many on the site are not huge fans of Bama. I personally have been running bama tunes for almost 4 years and never a days trouble. Bama provides very safe, reliable tunes and if anything they would run on the rich side to be safe. Safe and reliable is the key to Bama. A lot of hard core performance 5.0 enthusiasts run Lund tuning and they claim it is much better and get faster times.

Funny how all this talk about how there are better choices out there than bama tunes, Alex from Bama through out a challenge to race anyone's other tune agaist Bama and yet no takers.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!

Thanks for the info. I'm not one who would jump on something that's free, it's just not my style, but since I was thinking of buying an X4 and tune and like you stated I also felt that Alex from AM was confident in his tunes, I thought to myself, why not? I guess I will just wait a while until I'm completely sure of which route to go? It's my baby and I don't want to do anything that will hurt it.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think, but am not certain, Bama has bad more engine failures than any other tuning company with the 5.0's. If your an auto, go with Mike Rousch of mid Atlantic performance. Manual, Lund or AED.

Yeah I have been reading several threads on different forums and everybody seems to agree that Mike Rousch would be best for my auto. My friend just got his tuned by AED but his is a 6MT. I will wait and if nothing goes wrong in 2 or 3 weeks I will tune mine also. I only got 5K on mine and don't to mess her up.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mike Rousch is by far the best tuner for the automatic
I can't say your wrong bro. ,I don't have a Mike Rousch Tune but I do wonder this. How much faster in the 1/4 mile would Car A run over same Car A using new Bama tunes? I wonder how much faster a 40 mph pull too 100 mph in Car A using Mike Rousch Tune would be over the same Car A using say MPT tune or new Bama race tune?

I wonder how much faster the Mike Rousch tune makes the same car with same mods over say a Lund, VMP, AED, Steeda tune?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm not one who would jump on something that's free, it's just not my style, but since I was thinking of buying an X4 and tune and like you stated I also felt that Alex from AM was confident in his tunes, I thought to myself, why not? I guess I will just wait a while until I'm completely sure of which route to go? It's my baby and I don't want to do anything that will hurt it.
I completely understand that bro. Good luck with your quest for the right choice and tune that you feel comfortable with. Everybody has opinions and it can drive one batty just trying to figure it out. Lol

I have Bama, MPT and Steeda and love all three. Never a days trouble with either tuning company and been with Bama for just about 4 years. I been running Bama since my car had less than 3,000 miles on it and now with 40,xxx it runs stronger than every. Bama or MPT hasn't blown up my engine so I'm a satisfied customer but what the heck do I know. Lol

Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 Auto Tune Choice

I'd like the free tune from BAMA, problem is I only have 900 miles on my car. I wanted to get some more miles on her first (broken in) before I get a tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT