Trouble from 6th to 5th - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Trouble from 6th to 5th

I have a 2011 GT manual with about 23k miles on it. I bought it used, so I am not familiar with about 15k miles of the car's past. But, I have noticed that when downshift from 6th to 5th, I grind 5th. ( I did notice the car manual has the towing pages highlighted and wiring to rear for light hook ups )

I've ensured the clutch was depressed all that way each time, letting RPM drop to idle and shift, and rev matching. All methods provide no help to the issue.

I am not "locked out" of 5th because, it will eventually (about .25 -.50 a second) get into gear.

I thinking about bringing it into the dealer for warranty service but, I'm not sure how I can help point them in the right direction. Any ideas?

(No other gears have any issue)
BillyBoB4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Took it into ford last week. The service manager said it needed 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and reverse along with synchro gear replaced.

They've had it for about two weeks with no end in sight. Kinda sucks there are no other ford dealers with 100 miles of my place...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it would suck more if they told you it was "normal"

good luck
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
At least they are taking care of you, many people have been turned down with the dealer saying there is "nothing wrong with their car"

Good luck, hopefully you get your car back soon

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just glad I brought it in now. My factory warranty ends in February...

I think the previous owner use to tow something with my car. I wonder if that caused this issue.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Once you get it back, consider the blowfish bracket and a new MGW shifter or at least the whiteline bushing insert for the stock rubber trans mount bushing.

From all I've tried to educate myself on before potentially buying a 11-12 GT, one of the biggest killers of the MT82 is the fact that the shifter is a remote mount and the stock rubber mount is as loose as Paris Hilton circa 2002.

When the car is under a load or even just in general the shifter gets misaligned from the limp noodle terribad Ford bushing and you can booger the gears even though YOU are doing nothing wrong. The whiteline insert fills the voids and pretty much turns the rubber mount into a poly mount.

The Blowfish bracket is like the Barton 2 post bracket on steroids and all the reveiws I'm reading say that its the single best shifting upgrade you can do.

There were also faulty flywheels and clutch assemblies on earlier run cars too and yours being a 2011 may be one of them. I mean if the shop found a bunch of boogered synchros (yay china nonexistant QC!) that is likely the issue but a ****ty clutch setup could cause damage as well.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't able to see the damage but I did ask them to see if there was abnormal wear on the clutch for 23k miles. They said it looks perfect for that range.

I've been looking at getting a short throw shifter around tax season. I'll probably throw in the bracket you spoke about. I'd imagine this transmission work they are completing is not cheap. I don't want this to happen when I'm out of warranty.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Here is what seems to be the general consensus is to make your shifting as rock solid as possible.

Blowfish Bracket

Whiteline insert

MGW Shifter

You'll probably poop when you tally up the costs just to get a properly shifting transmission that should have come that way from the factory. Yet another reason I will probably get an auto if I get a Coyote...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If I got a short throw shifter and a blowfish bracket, would it be necessary to get the insert brace and shifter bracket? Like this one:
http://m.americanmuscle.com/barton-s...cket-2011.html

Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think if you do both the MGW shifter and the Blowfish bracket you can skip the whiteline insert. The latter was intended to limit the movement of the transmission relative to the body mounted shifter to reduce this misalignment. Once you've fitted the Blowfish bracket, the shifter is mounted to and locked into alignment with the transmission. At this point it seems that the white line insert would only increase NVH.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I currently have MGW Short Throw & Whiteline Mount on my Full Bolt on 5.0; However, it still happens! So next check is going to the fishy! (; I've heard it helps people with their lock out problems, only $300, might as well try it out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoB4869 View Post
If I got a short throw shifter and a blowfish bracket, would it be necessary to get the insert brace and shifter bracket? Like this one:
Barton Industries Mustang Shifter Bracket - MT-82 2011BM-4 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

The Barton 2 post isn't nearly as good as the Blowfish from everything I'm seeing. The MGW shifter is in a completely different universe vs the rest of the shifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I think if you do both the MGW shifter and the Blowfish bracket you can skip the whiteline insert. The latter was intended to limit the movement of the transmission relative to the body mounted shifter to reduce this misalignment. Once you've fitted the Blowfish bracket, the shifter is mounted to and locked into alignment with the transmission. At this point it seems that the white line insert would only increase NVH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
I currently have MGW Short Throw & Whiteline Mount on my Full Bolt on 5.0; However, it still happens! So next check is going to the fishy! (; I've heard it helps people with their lock out problems, only $300, might as well try it out lol.

Regardless if the whiteline insert is needed once one does the BF bracket and MGW, having your tailshaft bounce all over the place is hardly a good thing. Apparently it doesn't increase NVH much if at all and even if it does, try driving a Fox or SN95 with all poly mounts and then complain to me about NVH lol.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I got the car back tonight. Not a very good experience so far.

They gave me the paper work and tried to sell me on some new tires, since they completed a "Multi-point inspection". I politely declined and took my car. As soon as I got off the lot, my TPMS sensors went off (so much for the "inspection"). I noticed a rattle outside my car while I drove it. Turns out to be an exhaust leak, since they didn't put my exhaust back correctly. The transmission seems to push back slightly when I up-shift. So much so that I accidentally let it pop out of gear twice in my .5 mile trip home.

So needless to say, it will be going back to Ford to get, at least, the exhaust put back correctly. I'm am not sure if there is a "break in period" for the parts they replaced, but it does not shift like it use to.

They did however fix the 6 to 5 issue I originally brought the car in for !!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is definitely a break in period for the new trans. I will say that everything everyone says is the stock shifter is really that bad. Ford completely **** the bed on the design and the stock setup is just rubber slop.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post

The blowfish racing bracket is 269.99 @ cjponyparts until Nov 16 if you are interested in getting it soon.

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
The blowfish racing bracket is 269.99 @ cjponyparts until Nov 16 if you are interested in getting it soon.

Thanks for the heads up. I gotta save my doe for Christmas gifts for other people...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT