PlastiDip and Heat???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
PlastiDip and Heat????

So I think that PlastiDip is an awesome product, but I'm wanting to put it some areas that will endure some heat and I wonder if it will hold up. Just ordered some Roush Axle Backs and wanted to Dip them Black will the PlastiDip hold up to that heat? Also under the hood instead of paying for a engine cover with white accents I was going to do it myself with PlastiDip has anyone seen if it will hold up under the hood?
WhiteCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think the engine cover would be OK....the mufflers, not so sure about that.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You could just use paint... Like we did in the pre-Plastidip days.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCoyote View Post
So I think that PlastiDip is an awesome product, but I'm wanting to put it some areas that will endure some heat and I wonder if it will hold up. Just ordered some Roush Axle Backs and wanted to Dip them Black will the PlastiDip hold up to that heat? Also under the hood instead of paying for a engine cover with white accents I was going to do it myself with PlastiDip has anyone seen if it will hold up under the hood?
I did my engine cover months ago, live in Florida too and it has been fine. Muffler tips i cant say though.

Going to eventually get hyrodipped but the dip is holding up very well on Intake cover
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You could just use paint... Like we did in the pre-Plastidip days.
I'm not a painter and I don't have the balls to start painting on my brand new car lol. Thank God for PlastiDip!!!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not a painter and I don't have the balls to start painting on my brand new car lol. Thank God for PlastiDip!!!
Haha.
I've never used Plastidip but I've applied an ENORMOUS amount of paint in my lifetime.
From what I've seen, the Plastidip is slightly MORE difficult to apply than paint. Sure, the paint won't just "peel" off if you don't like it but life is a challenge... I say GO FOR IT!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
my friend has had dip on his 370z exhaust tips for months, has held up perfectly
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I did the 5.0 emblem on my engine cover and my strut tower bar all in plastidip a couple of weeks ago. No issues yet. On dip your car I think they say that dip will hold up on the exhaust tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	753.1 KB
ID:	166782  
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc2014gt View Post
I did the 5.0 emblem on my engine cover and my strut tower bar all in plastidip a couple of weeks ago. No issues yet. On dip your car I think they say that dip will hold up on the exhaust tips.
You did a good job on that man!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Thanks. Took an entire day, but it was worth it. I would definitely recommend using the glossifier. It brought out more of the metallic look on the strut tower brace and made it look painted. I think im going to try my hood vents next.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc2014gt View Post
Thanks. Took an entire day, but it was worth it. I would definitely recommend using the glossifier. It brought out more of the metallic look on the strut tower brace and made it look painted. I think im going to try my hood vents next.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cool man! I'm taking notes lol post it when you do
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plasti-Dip's site says +200°F. DYC's Fonzie says it's rated to 312°F in his "myths" video addressing the same question about heat. He shows an Audi's exhaust tips that have been dipped for a year.
trigga415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigga415 View Post
Plasti-Dip's site says +200°F. DYC's Fonzie says it's rated to 312°F in his "myths" video addressing the same question about heat. He shows an Audi's exhaust tips that have been dipped for a year.
If it lasts that long i'm happy. I don't mind redipping once a year if I have to lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT