Recommended axle-back exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Recommended axle-back exhaust?

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new here, though I've been lurking for awhile. I have a 2011 GT 5.0 Brembo with 3.73 in Race Red. This is my first Mustang; I've owned it for about a year, and the thing is just awesome. I've gotten the modifications bug, however, and am considering an axle-back exhaust as a birthday present to myself. The car sounds pretty nice for a stock vehicle but has way more potential IMHO. Shoot, my neighbor's AMG S-Class sounds more badass than my 5.0 and it's a huge luxo-barge. This is one area where Ford held back a little.

I'm looking for a high-quality axle-back set that will meet the following criteria:
  1. A nice, low, menacing rumble at idle or low rpm while letting the Coyote really howl at high rpm
  2. My car is a DD and is used for the occasional road trip, so nothing obnoxiously loud while driving around casually. Basically, the should be somewhat controllable by my right foot.
  3. High quality. I've been on the receiving end of cheap aftermarket parts in the past and do not care to repeat the experience. Would rather pay now than pay later.
  4. NO DRONE. Also dealt with this problem in the past. Droning or buzzing = unacceptable.
  5. I'm looking for a relatively loud, clean sound. No F-Body thrash, 90s Civic buzz, glasspack flatulence, etc.

Any specific recommendations? I've searched before and I know this is regurgitating old threads somewhat, but I wanted to survey the group and keep my options open rather than starting multiple threads on specific brands.

BTW, I decided not to go cat-back, mid-pipe, or headers because I'm also saving for a suspension upgrade and I have multiple cash-draining hobbies (cars, golf, guns - AR-15s are like Mustangs in that they are basically adult legos that make loud noises).
SpeedAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

GT500 axle back. I have the RTR exhaust, but it's expensive, and not loud enough.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
In my opinion, the best sounding axleback on the newer mustang is the Roush axleback. It is very high quality and on the louder side but there is no drone. The Roush axleback is quiet on the freeway and gets loud and really barks when you put the pedal down. If you are leaving the rest of the exhaust stock and just replacing the axleback then go with the Roush. If you are planning more future exhaust mods like an off road mid pipe, headers, or even just removing the resonators I would say go with something quieter. If sound and quality is all you are after its hard to beat the Roush axleback.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
No drone and good rumble not too loud I'd go with the gt500. People
Speak highly of them and they do
Sound amazing. I love my Mac axle backs but they do have drone and that's my only complaint about them.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I just purchased my axle backs yesterday. I laughed when I saw your post cause it is identical to what I was looking for and asking on these forums. If you go with the GT500 and that is the only thing you change it is not going to be loud enough for your liking. I listened to some and honestly I didn't even know he had exhaust until he told me. People do say with resonator deletes they are loud, but who wants to do all that? lol. The Roush Axle Backs are the low rumble (shake pebbles on the ground) at idle, and will send a shock wave over you if you are standing next to the muffler when someone gets on it. This was exactly what I was looking for with one more important factor.....drone. I refused to pay money for axle backs that would make me weary of pressing the gas. Roush have no drone and of course anything with Jack Roush's name on them are going to be good quality. There are cheaper ones out there, but bite the bullet and spend the $469. You need to be happy with what you buy, and also not put junk on your mustang.
WhiteCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Getting the gt500 AB and doing a resonator delete would be cheaper.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
I love borla ataks quieter then the roush until you stomp on it. But I see a huge following for gt500 exhaust

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
goatsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I love my MRT KR AB. But you will experience some drone around 1900. It's not unbearable.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I just purchased a 2014 5.0 and put the BBK Varitunes on it. I love them. You can open them up for a single chamber function or close them up for a three chamber function or experiment in between.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
GT500. Its a no brainer.

Cheap - its one of the cheapest ABs available

Sounds perfect - adds that deeper tone with out being obnoxious

factory fit - even has FORD stamped on it, so it looks stock to the average person looking under car, and they always fit perfectly

drone - none whats so ever

P.S. This topic has been beat to death GT.. 500 times. Could have searched exhaust and found about 500 threads on it!!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda has a great Axle Back Exhaust system for V8

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust - Made in USA 515-STEEDA-11 - Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Fellas, Rab sounds great. But borla ATAKs are the ticket. Op, if you've got the funds go for it. Pure ecstasy. I've had the pleasure of driving these and almost made a poor girl crash when I revved it next to her. No drone at all. Probably the most expensive AB system though. It's what I'm getting next.

Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

I've seen from several threads that the GT500s are popular on here. My only concern is that they wouldn't be different enough from stock other than offering a slightly lower, throatier tone. That's fine for low-rpm cruising but I'd like a somewhat aggressive (but not deafening) note when mashing the throttle.

Anyone with the Borla S-Type or ATAK run their cars as a DD? Is the noise too much for that?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The GT500s are significantly different from stock.

Its immediately noticeable, even when just cranking up the car.

I did have Borla catbacks on my Porsche Cayman S and LOVED the sound of them.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAKL View Post
I've seen from several threads that the GT500s are popular on here. My only concern is that they wouldn't be different enough from stock other than offering a slightly lower, throatier tone. That's fine for low-rpm cruising but I'd like a somewhat aggressive (but not deafening) note when mashing the throttle.

Anyone with the Borla S-Type or ATAK run their cars as a DD? Is the noise too much for that?

It's fine for a dd. If you can fight the urge to drive the rpm up more. As I said no drone and you can pretty much fly under the radar if you try. Noisy when you first start but quiets down.

Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
I've searched before and I know this is regurgitating old threads somewhat, but I wanted to survey the group and keep my options open rather than starting multiple threads on specific brands.
Too late

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
http://m.americanmuscle.com/bbk-vari...ss-1114gt.html

I say get these so you can tune your exhaust note to what you want. Not to loud but same time you can make them scream.

Or like everyone else says get the GT500 exhaust. Either way it's a win.

silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #18

Region: Canada
I was in the same boat as you, wanted something with NO drone, sounded nice at idle, and a beast when you open er up! I ended up picking up a pair of GT500 axle-back/mufflers off a 2011? GT500 that bolt right up in 20 minutes or so.. They sound great! Look WAY better than the stock mufflers that don't quite fill out the cut out space for the exhaust tips, and I think I only paid about $120cdn for them used locally off a guy! Well worth it!!!!!!!
r3ap3r911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #19

Just placed an order on American Muscle for Borla S Type axle-backs. Having spent absurd amounts of time reading threads and watching videos, these seem to offer the aggressive sound I would coupled with manageable noise when not getting on it. I almost went for the ATAKs but were afraid they were too loud for around-town use. I'm excited to get these things installed!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just placed an order on American Muscle for Borla S Type axle-backs. Having spent absurd amounts of time reading threads and watching videos, these seem to offer the aggressive sound I would coupled with manageable noise when not getting on it. I almost went for the ATAKs but were afraid they were too loud for around-town use. I'm excited to get these things installed!
You can't go wrong with Borla's great choice. I just got my S type and they are the best sounding axleback around here.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #21

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron502 View Post
In my opinion, the best sounding axleback on the newer mustang is the Roush axleback. It is very high quality and on the louder side but there is no drone. The Roush axleback is quiet on the freeway and gets loud and really barks when you put the pedal down. If you are leaving the rest of the exhaust stock and just replacing the axleback then go with the Roush. If you are planning more future exhaust mods like an off road mid pipe, headers, or even just removing the resonators I would say go with something quieter. If sound and quality is all you are after its hard to beat the Roush axleback.

^^^^^^^
I have the Roush axleback with resonators removed and it sounds good. Not too loud at an idle and when your WOT it sings a pretty good tune.
Huntdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would recommend MRT interceptor axel back pair with MRT H-Pipe from MRT Performance, sounds very nice with that rumbling muscle car sound, also looks flush to the back of bumper unlike Roush axel backs, has barely any drone noise plus not a lot of people has it or know much about it check it out on YouTube

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1411586424.499847.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	873.2 KB
ID:	166814  
Sean313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean313 View Post
I would recommend MRT interceptor axel back pair with MRT H-Pipe from MRT Performance, sounds very nice with that rumbling muscle car sound, also looks flush to the back of bumper unlike Roush axel backs, has barely any drone noise plus not a lot of people has it or know much about it check it out on YouTube

I have the MRT KR axle back. It's louder and has drone, but I love it. MRT is high quality s*** for a good price.

+1 from me

Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sure is got mine install in Plymouth Mi

Sean313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean313 View Post
Sure is got mine install in Plymouth Mi

I got the AB off stangmods.com for a pretty good deal 384$ shipped.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #26

I would recommend the corsa xtreme. Little more pricey but the tips look awesome. No drone whatsoever. Check out Maryland speed for the best prices.
Jswyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #27

So this is likely a very stupid question but I'll ask anyway - for those who didn't install it themselves, where did you go for the job? I'm not in a situation where it's convenient to do it myself.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #28

Not sure where your located but I used kinneys muffler in hurst. Probably a little more expensive than others but does a good job. Used them to delete my resonators on my 14 gt.
Jswyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #29

I've been looking for months for new axle backs. After watching a ton of youtube vids and listening to other's exhaust at car meet ups, I went with the Roush axle backs from American Muscle. Just ordered this morning and should be here on Monday! Can't wait!

They have the nice deep rumble that I wanted and not too loud on the high way.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Great choice Chambo, I recommend leaving your factory resonators on if you haven't already removed them.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

ANY, I MEAN ANY CAR SHOP should be able to do it in less than 30 minutes.

A gas station that fixes tires should be able to do it! A Jiffy Lube... Your grease monkey 12 year old neighbor with a jack.... anyone.

Its a SUPER EASY install for newbs, much less a mechanic. This is not something that requires any special skills.

(like for example, a gear swap, I'd make sure you go to someone good, who knows how to shim properly if things don't line up perfectly.... etc.)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #32

Thanks for the advice everyone! I had Borla S-Types installed today. WHOA!

There is zero drone on the highway, and its barely louder than stock (at least inside the car) under minimal throttle. Open it up, however, and it sounds absolutely ferocious. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for an a 1000% improvement over stock!

Now if only the modification bug would just go away
Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I had Borla S-Types installed today. WHOA!

There is zero drone on the highway, and its barely louder than stock (at least inside the car) under minimal throttle. Open it up, however, and it sounds absolutely ferocious. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for an a 1000% improvement over stock!

Now if only the modification bug would just go away
Video!! Lol
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #34

Roush Axelback… all the way! Just got mine put on last weekend and the rumble is amazing! It's quiet on the highway, but once I hammer down on it, it roars! I just have to hit 2200 RPMs and I get that roar. Love it! Easy to install too. Only took about 30 minutes.
FP8 Appearance Package:
quarter window louvers,
hood vents, and all that good stuff.
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Recommended axle-back exhaust?

MRT KR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust