different exhaust air flow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
different exhaust air flow

For those remenber my last thread it was about uneven roush exhaust sound.Well theres nothing AM or Roush can do about it..... Im investigating this myslef and hopefully can prove to them possible muffler design flaw on my driver side.

During idle passenger side has that wa wa wa sound which is normal thats how roush suppose to sound but on driver side this sound is absent. Im also getting louder growl on passenger side too while revving. What i also noticed is normal passenger side air flow is alot different than the driver side. Passenger side air puffs while driver side air is constant no puff. Any idea of what might be cause?
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Cut em open and get back to us with your findings

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Cut em open and get back to us with your findings

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
......hope your not serious
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I think the driver is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
For those remenber my last thread it was about uneven roush exhaust sound.Well theres nothing AM or Roush can do about it..... Im investigating this myslef and hopefully can prove to them possible muffler design flaw on my driver side.

During idle passenger side has that wa wa wa sound which is normal thats how roush suppose to sound but on driver side this sound is absent. Im also getting louder growl on passenger side too while revving. What i also noticed is normal passenger side air flow is alot different than the driver side. Passenger side air puffs while driver side air is constant no puff. Any idea of what might be cause?

Pull the mufflers off and see how it sounds. The sounds you are expecting should still be there, only louder, since your engine is what creates the sound. Are these axle-back, cat-back, catted mid, catless mid, what all did you purchase?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Pull the mufflers off and see how it sounds. The sounds you are expecting should still be there, only louder, since your engine is what creates the sound. Are these axle-back, cat-back, catted mid, catless mid, what all did you purchase?

exactly what i was going to say. remove the mufflers and see if the sound is the same. if it only happens with the mufflers then you have proof and they should be able to help you
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Havent had the time to take them off but what if its my car? Does that mean my engine is not "breathing properly"?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Havent had the time to take them off but what if its my car? Does that mean my engine is not "breathing properly"?

Before stating any more confusion to yourself or freaking yourself out. Remove and check then I would start looking at the engine
Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin_ii View Post
Before stating any more confusion to yourself or freaking yourself out. Remove and check then I would start looking at the engine

+1

These cars don't have true dual exhaust, so the left and right banks of the motor blend with one another. With that being said, I would tend to think that you will find that the difference won't be there without the mufflers, but you won't know for sure without trying. If the difference is still there without the mufflers, I would check the exhaust up to the point where both sides join together for something out of the ordinary.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
+1

These cars don't have true dual exhaust, so the left and right banks of the motor blend with one another. With that being said, I would tend to think that you will find that the difference won't be there without the mufflers, but you won't know for sure without trying. If the difference is still there without the mufflers, I would check the exhaust up to the point where both sides join together for something out of the ordinary.

Are you referring to the h/x pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Are you referring to the h/x pipe?

Correct.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If thats the case then i wouldnt be the only one to realize this. This 13' only has alittle over 12k, its unlikely to have exhaust system problems. In addition if its clogged or damage it would show symptom of loss of power.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Since pointing out the obvious here seems likely to be needed: What happens at idle bears no resemblance to what happens under load and isn't indicative of anything.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just run it and enjoy it

You are trying to be to freakin scientific listening to a set of mufflers. If your the only one that hears the difference and people ain't stopping you on the street laughing at the sound of your mufflers just move on and start enjoying your Mustang.
After they are on a while (About3,000miles or so) they will get a carbon buildup and actually sound way better then they do now.
I'm sure they sound fine as your driving down the highway or tooling around town.

If you just can't live with them just sell them and get another brand and find you have the same problem. If that happens just sell the Mustang and get something with a single pipe.
Ronnie
Old 09-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You are trying to be to freakin scientific listening to a set of mufflers. If your the only one that hears the difference and people ain't stopping you on the street laughing at the sound of your mufflers just move on and start enjoying your Mustang.
After they are on a while (About3,000miles or so) they will get a carbon buildup and actually sound way better then they do now.
I'm sure they sound fine as your driving down the highway or tooling around town.

If you just can't live with them just sell them and get another brand and find you have the same problem. If that happens just sell the Mustang and get something with a single pipe.
Ronnie
Dont you think your comment is abit asinine. You think i want to do this? I did spend $470 for this exhaust, if theres a defect i would like it replaced and not sell it lose money over something thats newly purchased or pass my problems to someone else. Its cleary missing tone on the driver side. During idle is missing the wa wa wa sound and during rev it barely growl like the passenger side.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sure it could be replaced

I just went out and listened to my Magnaflows and I guess I have the same problem because my left one does sound slightly different then my right one at idle. When I get Shari to rev it up a little they both sound about the same.
I REALLY HAVE TO LISTEN VERY HARD TO HEAR A DIFFERENCE>

Call Alex or Dan at American Muscle and tell them your problem. You will probably have to send the whole set back to get a replacement. Meanwhile you can stick your stock mufflers back on until you get the replacement mufflers back.

Just may be that they put to different mufflers in the box you received. Mistakes do happen.

I'm just guessing you got these from American Muscle.
Ronnie
Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just went out and listened to my Magnaflows and I guess I have the same problem because my left one does sound slightly different then my right one at idle. When I get Shari to rev it up a little they both sound about the same.
I REALLY HAVE TO LISTEN VERY HARD TO HEAR A DIFFERENCE>

Call Alex or Dan at American Muscle and tell them your problem. You will probably have to send the whole set back to get a replacement. Meanwhile you can stick your stock mufflers back on until you get the replacement mufflers back.

Just may be that they put to different mufflers in the box you received. Mistakes do happen.

I'm just guessing you got these from American Muscle.
Ronnie
My problem is not slightly tone difference its tone missing on driver side. I spoke to Josh Ruth at AM and was told nothing they can do. I also called Roush and was told this is unheard of and theres nothing they can do. Let me see if i can record a video and hopefully it will be noticeable on phone camera.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Maybe they did this by mistake

They put a Touring muffler on the drivers side and a S type on the passenger side in the box they sent you.
Borla makes the mufflers for Roush so it could happen.
I don't know if they have some sort of markings to tell the difference on the Muffler itself ( Not the tips)
Borla also makes Ford Racing Mufflers.
If your difference in sound is that great it has to be something like this happened.
As far as performance is concerned the three type of mufflers all give the exact same performance. Touring, Stinger & Atak .
It is just the noise is different.

Ronnie
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They put a Touring muffler on the drivers side and a S type on the passenger side in the box they sent you.
Borla makes the mufflers for Roush so it could happen.
I don't know if they have some sort of markings to tell the difference on the Muffler itself ( Not the tips)
Borla also makes Ford Racing Mufflers.
If your difference in sound is that great it has to be something like this happened.
As far as performance is concerned the three type of mufflers all give the exact same performance. Touring, Stinger & Atak .
It is just the noise is different.

Ronnie
interesting suggestion, ill ask AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

In order to to use roush warranty i have to bring it to roush dealer and have they inspect it. All is fine except inspection and shipping chargr will not be included. This is wrong way to do business, why should i spend more money to have a bad part replaced. btw the cost of inspection n shipping is around $170. btw i also recorded my exhaust, hopefully upload after i get home form work tonight.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #21

I had ordered the roush axle backs right before I saw these posts and have been worried about them ever since. Got them in last night just put them on a couple hours ago.

Been looking for this issue but they sound perfect to me. I hope you get this resolved!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey winkawak

I see you live in Florida. Where???? There are probably 100 places all over Florida that sell Roush Mufflers.
Gary Yeomans Ford
Brothers Speed shop
are two right in my area.
Check for Roush Muffler dealers in Florida and find one close to where you are. Then just drive to them and let them listen and check out the problem.
Ronnie

PS: It is nice for people to put what state they live in but it would be a whole lot nicer if they added their city. Then it is way easier to try to help someone with a problem or answer a question.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have no problems finding roush dealer, your not reading check above post.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have no problems finding roush dealer, your not reading check above post.

Ronnie's only trying to help.

They charge $170 for inspection and shipping so that's like $140 or so for inspection? That's bullshiit. If you have a dealer nearby bring it to them for verification of defect and if it's defective charge AM for it. They offered some guy that bought some chipped rims from them the option to fix his own rim that was chipped and be reimbursed by AM or shipping the rim back for another one. Ask AM if they will do the same for you - reimburse cost of inspection and shipping if there's a defect.

Then contact AM or whatever online company you bought it from and give them proof of defect after which they will pay for shipping back to them.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm completely shocked that AM isn't standing behind the stuff they sell. Contact Dan on the forum for advice and help.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have contacted AM Dan and he redirected me to Josh Ruth. I spoke to him and was told twice now its not their problem its Roush. So i talked to Roush and was told to have a roush dealer inspect it which is fine. Then i realized inspection fee and shipping fees are not included. Im mad these business practice is unacceptable, why should i pay for replacement. Just saw couple review on AM of owners going through the same situation. This is my last purchase from AM and Roush.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have contacted AM Dan and he redirected me to Josh Ruth. I spoke to him and was told twice now its not their problem its Roush. So i talked to Roush and was told to have a roush dealer inspect it which is fine. Then i realized inspection fee and shipping fees are not included. Im mad these business practice is unacceptable, why should i pay for replacement. Just saw couple review on AM of owners going through the same situation. This is my last purchase from AM and Roush.

Hmmm. I've got several thousand dollars worth and have adamantly sent customers their way. Have had zero problems with their customer service although I've never been ashamed to bash some quality issues of some items on their website that I got.

Honestly, I'm sorry you're having a bad experience. Although I'm 100% behind AM and also a complete realist and support free trade capitalism. I keep forgetting to check my exhaust to see if it's even or uneven. I'll check tomorrow. It's late right now and I don't wanna wake the dead with my exhaust lol.

Didn't you say you had some video?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

how do i upload video here?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
how do i upload video here?

You have to upload to YouTube then link it. There's a good app to use called Capture. It will allow a streamed way to load to YouTube and then creates the link for you to copy and paste to the forum.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

http://vid302.photobucket.com/albums...929_204409.mp4
heres the link but its hard to tell on video, first is passenger side(normal) than toneless driver side
Old 10-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
http://vid302.photobucket.com/albums...929_204409.mp4

heres the link but its hard to tell on video, first is passenger side(normal) than toneless driver side

Yeah can't really tell a huge difference. But the passenger does sound like it's got a louder deeper wop. Driver does seem to have a wop but marginally softer. Kinda was too short on the drivers side to really have a fair comparison thru a phone vid.

I'll check my exhaust tomorrow to see if I'm the same. I have a different exhaust tho...

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Yeah can't really tell a huge difference. But the passenger does sound like it's got a louder deeper wop. Driver does seem to have a wop but marginally softer. Kinda was too short on the drivers side to really have a fair comparison thru a phone vid.

I'll check my exhaust tomorrow to see if I'm the same. I have a different exhaust tho...

Its hard to tell in video but
driver side has no wop, its passenger side your hearing.....
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would take off the mufflers and shake them to see if there is anything loose or anything abnormal about either of them. Also start the car and see how it sounds. I realize the car is brand new but its also possible you have a partially clogged cat on one side that is messing with the sound. New parts are occasionally defective I had a Nissan 370Z with a cat that went bad after 4 years and had it replaced for free.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I would take off the mufflers and shake them to see if there is anything loose or anything abnormal about either of them. Also start the car and see how it sounds. I realize the car is brand new but its also possible you have a partially clogged cat on one side that is messing with the sound. New parts are occasionally defective I had a Nissan 370Z with a cat that went bad after 4 years and had it replaced for free.
The exhaust joins at the H/X. If it's a cat, I would think it would affect both sides, not just one.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

aWhat is so hard about driving to a Roush dealer??????

Winkawak say's:
[QUOTE][I have no problems finding roush dealer,/QUOTE]

You live in Florida so I'm sure your within driving distance of someplace that sells Roush products.
Get in you car and drive to one. Let them listen and if it is defective they will call Roush for you.

This is soooo easy a Caveman can do it.
Ronnie

PS: I don't hear enough difference on your video that I personally would not let it bother me. I'll bet it evens out when you get the RPM's up.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust