2014 C/S lower fog - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2014 C/S lower fog

Can anyone confirm if these are a HID projector? (A very low k output?) Like the standard fogs on a regular package stang? At some angles(very low) they have the blue tint like a hid. But looking at them jist standing up/ normal they look like a basic halogen projector light.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It's a standard H11 halogen bulb. They only have a blue tint at certain angles due to the refraction of light by the projector lens (similar to a prism).

I didn't like how yellow they were and did not match the factory HID headlamps so I installed a set of the new Cree XM-L2 LED H11 bulbs from Diode Dynamics. The factory halogen bulbs barely put out any useable light, but the new LED bulbs have a lot more output. These aren't like the LED fog/DRL bulbs of the past, these actually light up the road and aren't just for looks.

The ones I installed are the 6000K color which was the initial offering from Diode Dynamics. They have a slight cool white look vs. the warm white 4300K HID headlamps. DD will be releasing the new 4300K version in a few days and I will be exchanging the bulbs for the new ones for a better match.

NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for taking the time to post that. Great response. I'll be looking those up today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NacsMXer View Post
It's a standard H11 halogen bulb. They only have a blue tint at certain angles due to the refraction of light by the projector lens (similar to a prism).

I didn't like how yellow they were and did not match the factory HID headlamps so I installed a set of the new Cree XM-L2 LED H11 bulbs from Diode Dynamics. The factory halogen bulbs barely put out any useable light, but the new LED bulbs have a lot more output. These aren't like the LED fog/DRL bulbs of the past, these actually light up the road and aren't just for looks.

The ones I installed are the 6000K color which was the initial offering from Diode Dynamics. They have a slight cool white look vs. the warm white 4300K HID headlamps. DD will be releasing the new 4300K version in a few days and I will be exchanging the bulbs for the new ones for a better match.

And are you saying that the 6000k you have now aren't a good match? That you're going with the 4300k?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen90 View Post
And are you saying that the 6000k you have now aren't a good match? That you're going with the 4300k?
They are a decent match, but aren't the best match. The first offering in these bulbs from Diode Dynamics was only available in a 3000k yellow and 6000k cool white. I wasn't aware they would be releasing the 4300k version in the future when I bought the 6000k bulbs. But they have an excellent return/exchange policy so I am going with the new 4300k version which will soon be released.

The 6000k's have a slight blue tint to them. They still match/look 10x better than the factory halogens. If you want a better match I would hold out for the 4300k's

Halogen beam pattern

6000K Diode Dynamics XM-L2 LED beam pattern

Color temperature difference vs. factory HID headlamps

Diode Dynamics bulbs. Plug and play simple swap!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Thanks for all the great info. I will be getting the 4300k's.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Vert View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I will be getting the 4300k's.
No problem. These are THE answer to us guys with the crappy halogen fogs who want to match their factory HID headlights. The best part was not having to mount ballasts and run wiring/relays to the battery like you have to do with a HID fog conversion. These just plug in and go.

The only thing to note, at least on my car, is that the passenger side bulb housing "just" contacts the washer fluid tank. The bulb goes into the fog socket ok and everything, but the end of it is right there against the side of the washer tank. I put a small piece of foam 3M mounting tape in to mitigate any rubbing issues.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on their website now and seeing what I'm thinking is the product... " 2005-2014 mustang California special fog light HID conversion kit." I'm not seeing the plug and play aspect. These are $200. Am I looking at the right thing?

Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen90 View Post
I'm on their website now and seeing what I'm thinking is the product... " 2005-2014 mustang California special fog light HID conversion kit." I'm not seeing the plug and play aspect. These are $200. Am I looking at the right thing?
No, these are the LED bulbs, not HID conversion bulbs.

On this page: 2005-2014 Ford Mustang California Special Fog Light LEDs (pair)

You first select the color from the drop down list and then under bulb model, select XML2 (1420 lumens). They are $120. I just got off the phone with them, and they said the 4300k option should be appearing some time next week now.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhh ok I see now. Thank you. They have the 4300 option for the conversion.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Can you share the process involved with changing these bulbs? How big of a pain in the *** is it?

CNFLCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNFLCTD View Post
Can you share the process involved with changing these bulbs? How big of a pain in the *** is it?

I was wondering the same thing before I changed them the other day but it wasn't too bad. All you have to do is remove the front plastic splashguard/deflector panel from under the front bumper. There are a bunch of 7mm screws holding it in place. At first I thought I would have to remove the C/S front splitter too, but it doesn't interfere with the removal of the deflector. I also dropped the plastic oil filter service panel (held in with 3 bolts) to aid in removal of the deflector. You will have direct access to the bulbs after that. You might want to drive the car up on some ramps or jack it up to give you extra room to see what you are doing up behind the fog lamp housings.

Here is the panel you have to remove, easy peasy.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You rock. Thx!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not seeing the 4300 option on their website. Are they available yet?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNFLCTD View Post
I'm not seeing the 4300 option on their website. Are they available yet?

I received a promotional email from Diode Dynamics on the 17th stating that the new XM-L2 fog bulbs are now available in 4300K, 5000K, and 6000K. I keep checking the H11 bulb option, but like you, I am not seeing the new options. The new options are currently available for some other bulbs though, so I am not sure what the deal is. I will see if I can get another status update.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I called up Diode Dynamics this morning and the H11 bulbs for our cars in the new 4300K and 5000K options just became available! It's not listed on their website yet apparently, but if you give them a call they will hook you up
Old 10-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect! I've been keeping my eye out. Thanks for the update.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Old 10-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Listed in the site now.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glad I read this!!! I hate my stock fog lights in my CS!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I wish my car had the C/S front end.

Is that front lip spoiler the same as the Boss 302 ?
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I wish my car had the C/S front end.

Is that front lip spoiler the same as the Boss 302 ?
You can always convert yours with OEM parts! Yes, the front splitter and rear diffuser on the C/S is the same as on the Boss.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #24

I'm using Hoen Xenonmatch 55w H11 and very happy with the result. Pretty close match in color and excellent output.
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NacsMXer View Post
No, these are the LED bulbs, not HID conversion bulbs.

On this page: 2005-2014 Ford Mustang California Special Fog Light LEDs (pair)

You first select the color from the drop down list and then under bulb model, select XML2 (1420 lumens). They are $120. I just got off the phone with them, and they said the 4300k option should be appearing some time next week now.
I think they are sold out of them right? They are now $140!!! Crazy for bulbs
Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
I think they are sold out of them right? They are now $140!!! Crazy for bulbs
Looks like everything is out at the moment except for the 6000K cool white color. There is an additional $20 charge for the 4300K natural white and the 5000K pure white colors because they have to de-solder the old LED chips off and re-solder the new ones on by hand. Very pricey yes, but these are still worth it IMO for the light output, look, and simplicity of installation. Buy once, cry once
Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Here's some pics of what the new 4300K color temperature looks like. It is a much closer match compared to the blueish 6000K's but still ever so slightly warm in color temperature compared to the factory HID's and LED whisker lights. I've sent them back to try out the 5000K pure white version. Diode Dynamics has been fantastic about the return/exchange process.

4300K XML2's. Might be hard to see the difference depending on your monitor.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Car looks great either way I think but dont you think the 6000 were a closer match due to that blueish aspect of them? I like them and YES, totally agree with you stating its worth it. I HATE the stock ones, have NO idea why Ford even did that.... strange how they went all LED on the normal GT's and did this with the CS. Does ebay carry them? Do they offer a warranty by any chance?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Car looks great either way I think but dont you think the 6000 were a closer match due to that blueish aspect of them? I like them and YES, totally agree with you stating its worth it. I HATE the stock ones, have NO idea why Ford even did that.... strange how they went all LED on the normal GT's and did this with the CS. Does ebay carry them? Do they offer a warranty by any chance?
Thanks. The 6000's were actually quite light blue in person. They did not match the factory headlights/LED's as well. Having it not match like that looked a little ricey to me. These would be a good choice however if you had a pre 2013-2014 car with an aftermarket 6000K HID kit and wanted everything to match. The headlights on our cars look more 4500-5000K.

I agree it was dumb of Ford to take the easy route and put standard halogens in our fog housings. The LED fogs on the standard GT's look great. I can tell right away when a GT is coming my way at night, it's unmistakable.

I'm hoping that the 5000K's will be "just right". 6000's were too cool, 4300's were slightly too warm. I'm pretty confident the 5000K's will be a good middle ground. These have a 3 year warranty on them. You can find similar looking bulbs on Ebay but they likely won't be the same quality. Diode Dynamics goes out of their way to design quality bulbs. I've seen the difference first hand between standard Ebay LED's and more expensive quality brands. I'll always pay extra for better quality and customer service.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you are right about that. Ebay is somewhat my last resort but if I can get same item there, Ill try it. Well I guess Im thinking that I will go with the 5000s. I saw the 4300, looked to light for me and now you say the 6000 were to blue, dont want that either. My buddy ran a HID kit, but I will not do that to my car, just me.

I also changed all my interior lights the LED, have you done that to your car? Everyone who sees my car at night loves it! Also the license plate LED looks sharp.... next upgrade is my intake....You?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes you are right about that. Ebay is somewhat my last resort but if I can get same item there, Ill try it. Well I guess Im thinking that I will go with the 5000s. I saw the 4300, looked to light for me and now you say the 6000 were to blue, dont want that either. My buddy ran a HID kit, but I will not do that to my car, just me.

I also changed all my interior lights the LED, have you done that to your car? Everyone who sees my car at night loves it! Also the license plate LED looks sharp.... next upgrade is my intake....You?
The 5000K's should be arriving in the next few days. I'll get pics of them once I get a chance to install them.

Yep, i've upgraded my interior lights, license plate lights, and trunk light with LED bulbs. I went with Sylvania LEDriving bulbs because Sylvania is an OEM automotive bulb supplier. I've used Ebay LED interior bulbs on my previous vehicle and there is no comparison in the look and quality. The Sylvania's have the perfect amount of brightness without being overpowering. I also love the built in light diffusers that cast a soft even glow. Very nice pure white look like you find from the factory in Lexus's, Audi's, etc. For the trunk light I went with an Ebay (can you believe it?) 3 watt COB style bulb since Sylvania did not make one in that part number. It actually puts out very bright light but it is harsh and not something I would like in the interior that's for sure. I consider the trunk a less critical area in terms of looks.

Intakes, especially ones with open element cotton gauze type filters are not worth it on these cars IMO. If you want one for looks, more power to you. You don't really gain much in power from them, and the filters are often less effective at filtering dirt compared to the factory filter. You also have the issue of the open filter getting soaked with water due to our heat extractor hood vents. IMO the stock airbox flows plenty, keeps the filter cleaner, and draws much cooler air being sealed up.

I'm definitely looking into a tune next. I'm still battling myself internally with the whole warranty vs. tune conundrum though lol. After that comes lowering springs/struts, then control arms, then the Watts link, then the big brake kit, and on and on. Does it ever end?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

lol!! No it never ends! So fun to work on a car like this. Well I have heard about the air intake vs the stock. I actually want it to dress up the motor. The stock one is just....ugly and simple. I understand it does its purpose but just wish it was more impressive looking. Suspension... gosh do you have same strut/control arm issue that everyone has in these mustangs!?? I have taken my care twice to them and have NO damn fix. Bothersome considering my car only has 5000 miles and Ive owned it since Feb this year. Which brake kit are you going with? Cross drilled and slotted?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol!! No it never ends! So fun to work on a car like this. Well I have heard about the air intake vs the stock. I actually want it to dress up the motor. The stock one is just....ugly and simple. I understand it does its purpose but just wish it was more impressive looking. Suspension... gosh do you have same strut/control arm issue that everyone has in these mustangs!?? I have taken my care twice to them and have NO damn fix. Bothersome considering my car only has 5000 miles and Ive owned it since Feb this year. Which brake kit are you going with? Cross drilled and slotted?
I agree the stock intake does not look the best. I can't fault you for wanting to change that. I may change mine for the Airaid Modular Intake Tube at some point. It swaps out the ugly accordian tube for a smoother big bore tube while retaining the factory sealed airbox. Also allows you to cleanly delete the sound tube at the same time if desired.

I think I may have the front control arm creaking issue as well. Very early on, while driving with the windows up and radio off, I can hear a faint creaking sound from the passenger floor board area. If I drive through a bad bumpy parking lot or pull in and out of an elevated driveway I can especially hear the faint creaking. I took it to my dealer to have them look at it when I discovered this. I took the service manager for a ride as well as a tech, and of course nobody can hear what I am hearing. They're like, oh we can't fix it if we don't hear the noise. I told them i'd keep driving it till it gets worse/louder and then bring it back so they can hear it. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. My car has 1,200 on it now and the noise started around 600 miles or so.

As far as brakes go I am not totally decided yet. Again it sucks for us California Special guys that we got stuck with the base GT brakes only. I like the factory GT500 6 piston 15" rotor setup with the 14" rear rotors but the downside is heavier weight and more rotating mass due to the larger rotors. I already added a few pounds of rotating weight since adding the Roush 20" wheels, so I am trying to lose rotating mass if possible. The solution to that would be to go with a 14" big brake kit with lightweight 2 piece rotors. With those I could lose a couple of pounds per wheel, bringing the rotating mass back close to stock.

Right now I am leaning towards a kit from Baer or Stoptech with 6 or 4 piston front calipers. I would prefer slotted rotors only as drilled rotors are especially prone to cracking over time. Baer has some sweet color options for the calipers. I'd like to match the calipers to my deep impact blue paint if possible.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, I am not so tech savvy as to the pistons and weight and all. I am happy with the power it produces, maybe another 20-40 hp would be great but not so much needed, dont race it or anything like that. All I have done to mine is the Roush exhaust and the side louvers, Im wanting some cross drilled brakes but still undecided. I hear they squeak alot.

As far as the control arm and strut, its a HUGE issue. It was really bad on the 13s but for some reason they did not change the part they put on the 14s so thats where we are at. YES, mine started early on and also took it to Ford. They changed out the strut and the upper control arm and now, I think worst!! Im really thinking about redoing the whole suspension but, would cost a fortune I think. Whats your suggesstion?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I had a BMR upper control arm installed and it creaks worse than before and it was even greased prior to install and after. So idk what the **** to think. It's annoying

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT