What kelvin hid bulb is everyone running? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
What are the factory considered, 5k?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Going to a higher Kelvin bulb will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, increase visibility. As you go up in K you go down in lumens.
You may notice an increase going from a factory 4300k bulb to a *high quality* 5000k or 6000k, but that is due to the quality of the bulb, not the increase in Kelvin. Any higher than 6000k and you will lose visibility, guaranteed. You'll also be inviting police to pull you over for yet another reason.

Yes, another thing to note is many lowering packages on these cars lower more in the rear than the front, which would cause the headlights to be angled up more. I doubt if a single person thought to re-align the headlights to correct for this.
Agreed. I hate when some jacka55 has those eye blinding purple or bluish-purple bulbs.

Even 6000 has a slight blue tint. They're generally not pure white.

4000 yellow looks old

5000 most modern OEM, white

6000 white w/slight bluish tint, look nice

8000 blue - aggrivating to others and look rice

9000+ purple - even worse than 8000 on all counts.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Why in hell would anyone swap out the factory 4300k Genuine Philips (IE best quality) HIDs and put in some ricer 8k crap? 8k is half as bright as OEM, at 5k it starts to really fall off, 6k is much dimmer than OEM, 8k might as well be a halogen because they make Halogens that are brighter than 8k HIDs.

Not even going to get into the fact that almost every aftermarket HID bulb is made out of cheap glass and not laser aligned or anything. You'll see very few aftermarket bulbs that are made out of the correct quartz glass and laser aligned. Morimoto and XenonDepot are the only two I can remember that do this and are not made in China either. There are surely others but if you are buying DDM/Kensun/VVME garbage you are a potential hazard to others on the road.

And don't even get me started on the jackasses who put HID bulbs into reflector housings. If that is you, you're just as much of a ricer as the fart can stick on wing Civic at the Dunkin Donuts at 1AM on Saturday.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why in hell would anyone swap out the factory 4300k Genuine Philips (IE best quality) HIDs and put in some ricer 8k crap? 8k is half as bright as OEM, at 5k it starts to really fall off, 6k is much dimmer than OEM, 8k might as well be a halogen because they make Halogens that are brighter than 8k HIDs.

Not even going to get into the fact that almost every aftermarket HID bulb is made out of cheap glass and not laser aligned or anything. You'll see very few aftermarket bulbs that are made out of the correct quartz glass and laser aligned. Morimoto and XenonDepot are the only two I can remember that do this and are not made in China either. There are surely others but if you are buying DDM/Kensun/VVME garbage you are a potential hazard to others on the road.

And don't even get me started on the jackasses who put HID bulbs into reflector housings. If that is you, you're just as much of a ricer as the fart can stick on wing Civic at the Dunkin Donuts at 1AM on Saturday.

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The only aftermarket HIDs I would consider are morimoto. Otherwise it is Phillips or Osram for me.
I personally have my eye on the Osram Xenarc 66340 5000k set for my 2014.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT